Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
My app is unusable. I keep getting the error "Too many redirects: 21" and no list of threads or bookmarks or anything at all will ever load. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same problem. Any fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Tap-to-GIF is so good, thank you for implementing it! My outdated phone and limited data plan thank you as well.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

The Lord Bude posted:

in the bookmarks tab you have to do the 3d touch on the actual icon to the left of each bookmark, not the text.

Definitely works on the text for me...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

in the bookmarks tab you have to do the 3d touch on the actual icon to the left of each bookmark, not the text.

Nope, it's registered on the whole row so it should work anywhere. There is a bug I've found where sometimes 3D touch can break and it won't work at all until you force close and restart the app. I need to look into it at some point :shrug:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Nope, it's registered on the whole row so it should work anywhere. There is a bug I've found where sometimes 3D touch can break and it won't work at all until you force close and restart the app. I need to look into it at some point :shrug:.
Force close fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the work on the app!

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Just wanna stop by to say the latest version has really nice updates. Thank you for dedicating so much time/effort to this!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the "links are incredibly hard to click on" bug in 3.8 on The List?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it possible to not have the play button on emoji sized animated gifs?

For instance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=367#post453050945

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

For instance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=367#post453050945

It's a good idea, but it's tricky because the code to stop the animation and set up the play button has to run before the image loads for it to have any benefit, so we don't actually know how big the image is at that point.

What we probably could do is load the thumbnail, check how big it is, and then automatically load the animated version if it's below a certain size threshold. My issue with that is that it uses more data than if we just loaded the animated version right away. Maybe for emoji-sized images the data hit is small enough that it doesn't really matter though? I'm not sure.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Personally speaking, I don't care about data usage (I'm mostly on wifi) but I do like the performance gain from pausing large gifs.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

smackfu posted:

OK so right now I feel like a moron. I can't work out this gif pausing stuff at all. As far as I can tell all gifs are busy animating away and making my tablet warm up or whatever, and I would like them to not to those things. I'm definitely running 3.8, which according to the change log is the one that's supposed to do this, and I'm possibly blind and have missed a setting but I've looked like 10 times now and I can't see anything (although I did see I could hide the inexplicable side bar for landscape mode, which made me happy).

So, I figured, dang, I have got to be an idiot. I know, I'll click this guy's link because that is literally something that is supposed to be paused and maybe I can work out what's going on. But, it tells me I need the archives upgrade (code 8) to view it. My account has archives. Also, that thread isn't in the archives. What is going on??

fake edit - OK so I copied the URL to what it's trying to open out and looked at it. It had it as: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=1465 - page 1465 instead of page 367 presumably this is being caused because I have 10 posts per page user setting, so, that's probably why that link doesn't work. I guess I'll go change my user setting and click that link and try and work out what's going on.

edit - ok so it doesn't apply to avatars or regular smilies, but, now that I can view that link, it does seem to exist on that linked post so at least I'm not 100% crazy or something. Something that I had assumed was a bunch of gifs was in fact some kind of insane mass of svgs, so, that'd be why it wasn't working for that.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

FYI for technical reasons, the GIF stuff only works for images uploaded to certain hosts (imgur being the most notable one), and even then there are some edge cases where it won't work, so there's definitely a chance you've just come across GIFs that we don't have support for.

And if anyone wants us to add support for any specific image-hosts, please mention it and I will at least explore whether it's feasible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mastigophoran posted:

fake edit - OK so I copied the URL to what it's trying to open out and looked at it. It had it as: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=1465 - page 1465 instead of page 367 presumably this is being caused because I have 10 posts per page user setting, so, that's probably why that link doesn't work. I guess I'll go change my user setting and click that link and try and work out what's going on.

That's odd that something turned my page number (367) into your page number (1465) but didn't change the perpage value.

While I was looking into that, it does look like the parser for SA URLs ignores the perpage value, which seems like it would cause a different bug if someone has a non-standard perpage value.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

While I was looking into that, it does look like the parser for SA URLs ignores the perpage value, which seems like it would cause a different bug if someone has a non-standard perpage value.

Sure does.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree about pp. pg would work fine and doesn't have to differ between single page threads (1p) vs multiple (2pp)
Alternatively just display posts read and make the user figure it out :unsmigghh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That's a good point, even the forums themselves don't display the amount of pages, just the amount of posts (except for the oh so helpful 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

That's a good point, even the forums themselves don't display the amount of pages, just the amount of posts (except for the oh so helpful 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last)

Yeah and it sucks.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Please provide a freeform text field where we can specify custom javascript to format the number of posts and/or pages according to our personal tastes

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm still having the issue where the indicator next to a parent forum shows that it has been expanded to show child forums but the child forums aren't displayed. I have to tap the indicator twice to show the child forums. Once to reset it and a second time to display the forums.

See the indicator next to SH/SC in the attached image.

This happens on my iPhone 6S and iPad Air both of which are running iOS 9.1.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I didn't notice the "pp" till just now but I hate it and far preferred the old page icon, please fix to specifically my satisfaction, tia

:ducksiren: Also a weird bug report: :ducksiren:
If you encounter an unread post containing an embedded YouTube video (use "Mark Read" on a previous post if necessary), long-press the video's title and hit "Open in Safari". When you return to Awful app, all interactive elements within the thread become non-interactive -- I'm guessing they're occluded by the invisible remnants of the long-press menu. You can scroll around and select text, but you can't open anyone's profile, quote/"mark as read" any posts, follow any links or load any embedded images, etc.

While in this glitched state, the app's UI surrounding the thread view works except for a few things:
  • the auto-hiding "Load Previous Posts" button only pretends to work by graying out on tap but doesn't actually do anything.
  • you can show and hide the mini-options popup as normal, but none of its contents do anything (app colors work only for the UI but the thread is unaffected).
  • oh also try opening any of the bottom-of-screen popups, then use the App Switcher to open another app that has an keyboard active (e.g. Safari or Notes both work). The popup will be halfway up the screen when you return to Awful using the App Switcher, and then will slide back down into place as (presumably) either the app or the system notices that the keyboard is no longer actually present.

The inactive thread elements issue persists if you return to your Bookmarks view (probably Forums view too but I haven't checked) and then swipe back into the glitches thread. It is fixed if you tap any thread, including tapping the same previously-glitched thread.

Example embedded YouTube to test on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdMMgekSzY

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
For some reason pushing any link doesn't automatically work. I have to push for a few seconds and then I'm asked if I want to display in Safari or YouTube or wherever. It's annoying. Even non YouTube links have me exit the app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Tony Homo posted:

For some reason pushing any link doesn't automatically work. I have to push for a few seconds and then I'm asked if I want to display in Safari or YouTube or wherever. It's annoying. Even non YouTube links have me exit the app.

Thirding.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hello! I like the app very much! I like the little indicator that goes from "v" to ">" if you're pulling enough to go to the next page!

I agree that links are a little hard to click on, I thought I was just inept with my tiny 5 though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
pp doodoo

Subjunctive posted:

I think that's probably the most common feeling. Pokey, want to flip the default?

Yep, that's a good idea.

fordan posted:

Since updating Awful crashes to Springboard on launch. I've tried removing and reinstalling the app; it'll stay stable and let me log in, then immediately crash (and crash on launch again after that again). This is on an iPad Pro.

fordan posted:

Following up on this, it's now working. I deleted, downloaded, entered user/pass once, it crashed, reopened, entered user/pass and it works.

Sorry about that, that's a pretty lovely upgrade/first launch experience! I'm curious what was going on, but since you've gotten something working I won't worry about it too much.

stuxracer posted:

The smooth scrolling is killing me. Any chance at making that a setting?

While typing I am noticing the cursor is also at least one character behind.

Edit: weird the bouncy scrolling just disappeared.

The scrolling thing is unintentional, and I'm also not really sure what you mean by "smooth scrolling". That's not to say it's the wrong term, I just don't know what to picture in my head.

I'll make a note of both issues!

AstroZamboni posted:

Just encountered a bug I haven't seen before on the latest release. When replying to a thread, when I tap "post" the app sometimes crashes and when I reopen the app, I discover that it posted duplicate.

Latest update, iPhone 5s running iOS 9.1

Welp. I'll take a look!

Advice posted:

My app is unusable. I keep getting the error "Too many redirects: 21" and no list of threads or bookmarks or anything at all will ever load. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same problem. Any fix?

Is there any chance your wifi and/or carrier might be messing with you somehow? Like a captive portal or some other kind of bullshit?

david_a posted:

It is now! Wonder if that's due to updated zepto. (It's ok if that's completely meaningless to whoever's reading this.)

smackfu posted:

I remember looking into something like this (it involved the perpage parameter but may not have been this exact thing) and for some reason I gave up because there was some annoying edge case. But I'll add it to the list and, assuming I don't retrace my steps and give up once more, get it fixed.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm still having the issue where the indicator next to a parent forum shows that it has been expanded to show child forums but the child forums aren't displayed. I have to tap the indicator twice to show the child forums. Once to reset it and a second time to display the forums.

This is #1 on my list to fix for the next version. Help is on the way! With no particular timeframe!

Abjad Soup posted:

:ducksiren: Also a weird bug report: :ducksiren:

Dealing with click/tap events is the worst thing about using a webview for posts. It's just so painful.

And now it's on the list!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 25, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

pokeyman posted:

This is #1 on my list to fix for the next version. Help is one the way! With no particular timeframe!
bless

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like the "threads scroll upwards if you leave the app" bug I reported has been fixed in 3.8 - at least I don't experience it any more. Thanks!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Clicking on links no longer seems to do anything on the iPad app. I have to press and hold before it brings up a menu. Is that intended?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It works for me, but sometimes takes a few taps. I blame ultramiraculous, based on no real data.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sorry if this has been asked, but there's a little blue dot in the upper left that's there all the time now...normally near the "cancel" button while typing or to the left of the < when browsing...what is that?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Seeing an issue when changing awful from slide over (1/3 mode) to split view on an iPad Pro and viewing posts. I lose the headers telling me the thread title and more critically the arrow to navigate back up. If I'm looking at bookmarks while in slide over and switch to split view and then enter a thread the headers appear properly.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Bug report: attempting to quote a post frequently crashes. Latest iOS, latest App Store build. Haven't noticed any correlation between what causes some quotes to crash and not others, but if it crashes once, it'll keep doing it.

Only possible out -of the ordinary thing with my setup is that I use SwiftKey? If I can help diagnose in any way, please let me know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you try without SwiftKey for a while?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Bug report: attempting to quote a post frequently crashes. Latest iOS, latest App Store build. Haven't noticed any correlation between what causes some quotes to crash and not others, but if it crashes once, it'll keep doing it.

Only possible out -of the ordinary thing with my setup is that I use SwiftKey? If I can help diagnose in any way, please let me know.

There is currently a bug in iOS that causes apps which use WebViews to crash when third-party keyboards are active. I think Google Chrome recently just disabled third party keyboards within that app for now. It's fixed in iOS 9.2 though.

Should we be considering just disabling third party keyboards in Awful for the moment? Or will the turnaround time be too much for what will probably be a short-lived issue?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does quoting a post use a webview, actually? I guess it could be related to the thread view being hidden.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Can you try without SwiftKey for a while?

I mean, I *could*, but then I lose swype. I can't go back to typing things manually. :(

This is really Apple's fault for not implementing it natively. I'll try it out for a bit and report back.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just a reminder that Last Post still only takes you to the last page, not the last post. Also, the thread list auto update only seems to work when first viewing a forum after launching the app, but not from there on in if you return to that same forum.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My bookmarks list is only showing the first ~10 threads on my iPad. Scrolling down leads to endless blankness. Not happening on my phone.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Seems like my app is crashing immediately when opening it. I'm on the latest iOS and latest build from the store and this just started happening within the last couple of hours. Tried deleting and redownloading with no success. Could there be an ad that's causing it to crash?

Edit: Seems like everything is fine now

Belle Isle Tech fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 30, 2015

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but if you have images off and click an image that's supposed to be a gif, the gif overlay never shows up so you can't play it. On iPhone 4S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Tony Homo posted:

This one is getting really annoying. I know you said it's on the list, but thought I'd toss in another vote for a quick fix :v:

• Locked thread