Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did the dough dry on the outside while it was set out?

Yeah, about this, how to prevent it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Kling film around the bowl, or a damp tea towel

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Honestly I'm too much of layman to know for sure but since it's initial proof didnt really work out and i moved it to oven proof setting it wouldn't shock me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Pam. Always Pam. (Lecithin spray, for those outside the US). Never rise a dough without it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

Kling film around the bowl, or a damp tea towel

I use a damp towel. I used to use cling film but the wastage got to me.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'll use a silicone bowl cover, but for final proofing one thing I like doing is brushing a bit of oil on the bread and then setting another pan or bowl on top of it. It's not air tight like the plastic wrap, but I find it good enough for most things. Definitely keep the plastic wrap around for when you need the best moisture barrier possible!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've been reading through thread after I decided to give baking a try a few weeks ago, it's been going pretty well!

First go at making a round loaf and struggled a bit with scoring deeply enough, but it was great and disappeared in half a day.

A bit of a rescued failure from yesterday, where the power went out 15min into a 40min bake. I left it in the warm oven until power came back 25 minutes later and baked a tiny bit more, it didn't seem too bad in the end.

My last one from just now - this was the first one I did using a dutch oven-style method and it's definitely helped a ton with oven spring. I borrowed a little camp oven to use as the vessel and it worked surprisingly well. A little bit lopsided getting it from the baking paper into the pot so it got slightly out of shape.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Making pizza rolls, I got maybe 24 made so far, probably gonna end up with 70-80 or more.

Preferment
https://i.imgur.com/yM6OKNP.mp4

Adding flour'
https://i.imgur.com/3oQ4mNa.mp4

Coming together
https://i.imgur.com/ClY3y23.mp4

There's supposed to be a dough hook attachment for this thing but I only got the roller and scraper setup. I do have my kenwood though, but I like to use this one because I got two bowls for it so I got two batches going on atm.

Ready to rise, th is will make two full size rolls I cut into twelves.

Earlier batch

It's a doubled up recipe of this, making with different fillings though, smoked ham is my favorite so far, some vegetarian for a party tomorrow:
https://www.chainbaker.com/pizza-buns/

Edit, more progress:

Here's the one with smoked ham

Rising a 2nd time before going into the oven

Here's the 2nd roll, which is vegetarian, just cheese & sundried tomatoes

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 10, 2022

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Anyone have wisdom to share about getting good even slices. I’m using an ancient bread knife but not sure if that’s the issue or it’s a technique thing. Why is slicing bread hard god dammit

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Solarin posted:

Anyone have wisdom to share about getting good even slices. I’m using an ancient bread knife but not sure if that’s the issue or it’s a technique thing. Why is slicing bread hard god dammit

It's probably the knife

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yep, knives can be blunted, and sharp knives cut better.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
There are also slicing guides but I didn't find they helped much.

It sucks so much to slice bread! Even when factories were told to sell it unsliced during World War 2 everyone pretty quickly collectively decided to ignore that decree.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A sharp serrated bread knife is 9/10s of cutting bread imo. The technique can help, but if you are really butchering it, it's probably the knife

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I got my copy of Flour Water Salt Yeast recently and just tried out the overnight white bread for my first recipe from the book. Immediately one of the best looking I've made so far, I'm excited to see how it is later today.

E: a second one also came out well, this one same as above but with 10% rye. I tried this with a cold start to see if there was much difference. So straight from banneton in the fridge to unheated dutch oven in a cold oven. Left covered for 50min and uncovered for 20, pretty similar in the end. It has the bonus of not trying to drop the dough into a super hot Dutch oven though.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 19, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solarin posted:

I just gave up and bought the fancy German bread slicer. When I was growing up, we had an awesome Danish bread slicer that is no longer made; I link to the Etsy overview page. You can get those second-hand cheaper if you wait long enough; when I was looking all of the Eva bread slicers came out to as much as a Zassenhaus when you added shipping. The rotary slicer was worth it to me because I make the family loaf/sandwich bread, and the sandwiches were always wildly uneven, slanted from top to bottom, ... It wasn't the sharpness of the knife, it was the skill issue of being able to slice perfectly perpendicularly to the breadboard.

List to my tale of the Wheel Rolls of Pain.

Today's the county fair; I'd been planning for a month to enter the Swedish cardamom rolls I posted in July or so. They have a lot of cardamom both in the dough and the filling. The filling is a standard butter-sugar-spice thing; the dough is unusual in that you do one lamination with the filling before re-rolling the dough and cutting into strips. At about ten AM I started baking, today being the dropoff date.

Since then, my yeast entirely refused to proof (I'd made bread with it a week ago, and this is the same batch of yeast I used to make sweet rolls earlier in the year, and it's baking yeast that lives in a sealed glass container in the freezer.) It happened I had one strip of live yeast packets in the freezer, so I warmed a new batch of milk and this time it bubbled. Since then, there have been frantic hunts for the crucial missing drive shaft of the mixer, the granulated sugar (which was right on the shelf all the time), the baking racks (never did find the second one...)

You can imagine that I was pretty darn pooped when it came to shaping the rolls. As suggested, I'd let the butter come to room temperature. It was 75 degrees. This did not occur to me until far, far too late. I beat the butter together with the spices, rolled out the dough, spread with butter, did one lamination, sliced, formed, set to rise. On the top of the stove, which is where I always do first risings. After the second rise, I put two pans of rolls into the oven and sat down. After 6 minutes, I came to check on the rolls. They were flat. They looked vaguely poached. They were sitting in pools of butter.

That, dear reader, was when I realized that my new oven, unlike my old oven, was not quite deep enough for a standard sheet pan placed back-to-front, and that the oven had remained an inch or so open all the time they were baking. I hastily rotated them and did another 8 minutes or so. They came out looking like cardamom rolls, but much flatter. I cooled them, and sure enough they were very greasy. I did the last pan with the door closed; it rose more but not a lot. I'll eat them, but they aren't handsome enough or light enough to take to the county fair. It is now 3:20.

The next time I make this recipe, I'm going to prechill the dough, grate the butter instead of letting it come to room temperature, and not have a migraine. (A gal can dream.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just gave up and bought the fancy German bread slicer. When I was growing up, we had an awesome Danish bread slicer that is no longer made; I link to the Etsy overview page. You can get those second-hand cheaper if you wait long enough; when I was looking all of the Eva bread slicers came out to as much as a Zassenhaus when you added shipping. The rotary slicer was worth it to me because I make the family loaf/sandwich bread, and the sandwiches were always wildly uneven, slanted from top to bottom, ... It wasn't the sharpness of the knife, it was the skill issue of being able to slice perfectly perpendicularly to the breadboard.

List to my tale of the Wheel Rolls of Pain.

Today's the county fair; I'd been planning for a month to enter the Swedish cardamom rolls I posted in July or so. They have a lot of cardamom both in the dough and the filling. The filling is a standard butter-sugar-spice thing; the dough is unusual in that you do one lamination with the filling before re-rolling the dough and cutting into strips. At about ten AM I started baking, today being the dropoff date.

Since then, my yeast entirely refused to proof (I'd made bread with it a week ago, and this is the same batch of yeast I used to make sweet rolls earlier in the year, and it's baking yeast that lives in a sealed glass container in the freezer.) It happened I had one strip of live yeast packets in the freezer, so I warmed a new batch of milk and this time it bubbled. Since then, there have been frantic hunts for the crucial missing drive shaft of the mixer, the granulated sugar (which was right on the shelf all the time), the baking racks (never did find the second one...)

You can imagine that I was pretty darn pooped when it came to shaping the rolls. As suggested, I'd let the butter come to room temperature. It was 75 degrees. This did not occur to me until far, far too late. I beat the butter together with the spices, rolled out the dough, spread with butter, did one lamination, sliced, formed, set to rise. On the top of the stove, which is where I always do first risings. After the second rise, I put two pans of rolls into the oven and sat down. After 6 minutes, I came to check on the rolls. They were flat. They looked vaguely poached. They were sitting in pools of butter.

That, dear reader, was when I realized that my new oven, unlike my old oven, was not quite deep enough for a standard sheet pan placed back-to-front, and that the oven had remained an inch or so open all the time they were baking. I hastily rotated them and did another 8 minutes or so. They came out looking like cardamom rolls, but much flatter. I cooled them, and sure enough they were very greasy. I did the last pan with the door closed; it rose more but not a lot. I'll eat them, but they aren't handsome enough or light enough to take to the county fair. It is now 3:20.

The next time I make this recipe, I'm going to prechill the dough, grate the butter instead of letting it come to room temperature, and not have a migraine. (A gal can dream.)

Sheeeeit that slicer is pricy. I also have trouble slicing uniformly although I can usually do a reasonable job. I’ve been thinking about a slider though.

anyone try something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13406796...emis&media=COPY

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Stupid newbie question.

I baked a loaf of bread that wound up brown on the outside and not done in the center (my toothpick test told me it was done, but I guess it wasn't deep enough). When I tried putting it back in the oven, the bread got browner but the lower center of the inside remained goopy. Is there some other way to fix the center I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm at altitude, about a mile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Old Ganon posted:

Stupid newbie question.

I baked a loaf of bread that wound up brown on the outside and not done in the center (my toothpick test told me it was done, but I guess it wasn't deep enough). When I tried putting it back in the oven, the bread got browner but the lower center of the inside remained goopy. Is there some other way to fix the center I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm at altitude, about a mile.

That type of problem (overbooked outside, underbaked center) means your oven was too hot. And at high altitudes, you generally want to lower your oven temp 15-25 degrees from what's prescribed.

But its probably too late for this batch, you could put it in a lower oven but the outside is going to continue to get overdone, there's no going back. And after multiple tries you may not be able to salvage a proper texture inside

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tried Some burger buns. I think my shaping was a touch weak because they mushroomed a bit at the bottom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those look nice buns. What recipe did you use? I go for the King Arthur but with half the butter they use and a tenth of the sugar.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I followed this one and halved the recipe for my first attempt

https://foodgeek.dk/en/brioche-burger-buns-recipe/

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'm thinking of getting a sourdough starter going. Is there any good site/blog/post to look at for a basic how to/advice/common issues?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I'm thinking of getting a sourdough starter going. Is there any good site/blog/post to look at for a basic how to/advice/common issues?

This post on The Fresh Loaf is how I got started with sourdough starters. The comments are a wealth of information and troubleshooting steps too.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

effika posted:

This post on The Fresh Loaf is how I got started with sourdough starters. The comments are a wealth of information and troubleshooting steps too.

Cool beans, I'll check that out. Saw a post from a few pages ago that referenced Joshua Weissman, so I'll probably check his video out too

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Cool beans, I'll check that out. Saw a post from a few pages ago that referenced Joshua Weissman, so I'll probably check his video out too

I tried making a sourdough starter from scratch a few times, without much success. It would bubble some, but never really got to a happy stage. I eventually followed Weissman's instructions, and now I have an absolutely bulletproof starter that's a little over 2 years old. Like earlier I used it in early March, tossed it in the fridge, then life got in the way until July or something. I scraped off the gray liquidy layer, scooped out some of the healthier looking stuff underneath, and fed it on the counter. The next morning it had more than doubled in size like normal. I had planned on feeding it on the counter for a few days, including some rye flour, to nurse it back into health. But instead I baked a delicious loaf of bread right away - it didn't skip a beat.

I think the main difference with Josh's method (compared to what I tried before) is the rye flour. But he also has some specific instructions on progressively feeding and growing it for the first week or whatever. And I'm sure his first name helps some too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah use rye or whole wheat to get the starter started! Whole grains are usually successful for me and white flour not nearly as much. The extra vitamins and minerals plus a bigger and more diverse bacterial load of whole grains makes a significant difference.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The starter had doubled in size by the time that I had fed it this morning. It had barely had 1-2 bubbles in it yesterday when I had fed it so I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm pretty happy about that. Been using rye flour before, but did a mix of rye/whole wheat/unbleached bread flour today, and it looked pretty active by the time that I left for work a couple of hours later. I started it last Friday, the 30th. I should expect to be able to start to use it this Friday, right? I don't have any plans to make anything yet, and won't until whatever days that I end up having off next week, but still

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Got bored, made cottage loaves in a couple of hours:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Drinkslinger posted:

Got bored, made cottage loaves in a couple of hours:

No ring.

Fake edit: what constitutes a cottage loaf?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

null_pointer posted:

No ring.

Fake edit: what constitutes a cottage loaf?
It's mainly the shape - a smaller loaf on top of a larger one.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
It is pretzel time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you lying

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Why would they lie about pretzels? What a base accusation.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
those pretzels look loving tasty. I hope you got some good mustard or cheese sauce around to get it really going.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Any bread goons ever dabble in preservatives? I've been making half batches of things like rolls and try to only have a single loaf around at a time, as they seem to go off almost faster than I can eat them. From what I'm reading, calcium propanoate (ground limestone, basically) is a good anti-mold preservative, but I'd also like something that can fend off staling. I've got so much bread I wanna make!

Granted I could be like the neighborhood bread fairy and ring up a whole bunch of karma for when I need to borrow a pickup truck or for someone to let the dogs out ...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have freezer space? Making a paste/roux/tzsomething can help with stale texture. You Gould do that with any bread, water or milk, I've never tried with an open crumb.

Up your salt and do sourdough otherwise? My SD never lasts long enough to go off.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
When I made rolls I would individually wrap them and put them in the freezer after they finished baking and had cooled off. It does require you to plan ahead and take them out a couple hours before you want to eat them, but it did a great job preserving the freshness otherwise.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Any bread goons ever dabble in preservatives? I've been making half batches of things like rolls and try to only have a single loaf around at a time, as they seem to go off almost faster than I can eat them. From what I'm reading, calcium propanoate (ground limestone, basically) is a good anti-mold preservative, but I'd also like something that can fend off staling. I've got so much bread I wanna make!

It's not as much of a change as adding proper preservatives, but I've been making loaves from the most recent Ken Forkish book. A lot of the regular yeast recipes also use an optional 100g of levain straight from the fridge, adding that in seems to add at least a few extra days of freshness compared to not having it. Plus extra flavour so it's a win/win for me.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

null_pointer posted:

I'm not going to claim it's a solution for staling, but I was messing around with DIY bread improver stuff and noticed that pitas with a good bit of sodium citrate (1tsp per 16 pita batch) stayed pliable and stuffable for like 2 weeks after baking.

It also gives a bit of faux-sourdough zing, which may or may not be desirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The rabbit hole entrance that works for me when I look up preservatives and stuff is "dough conditioners." This wasn't intuitive to me because you'd think preservatives would google with the finished product, but no, it has to do with the dough. Whatever. Dough conditioners come down to how nerdy you want to get. That goes hand-in-hand with how close you want to get to Wonderbread and Twinkies. I haven't looked up any body who went all the way, but I know I will some day for giggles.

The more normal side of that spectrum starts with a smug "sourdough does magic that preserves better than monocultural yeast" and progresses into stuff like: mixing non wheat starches to disrupt hard staling (potato being common and I use some in my regular sandwich loaves), boiling up some of the starch to again disrupt the wheat matrix, adding acids, and then you get to lecithin. I find adding eggs takes you into a yellow, enriched dough that goes stale even faster, but a lean dough with some soy lecithin without eggs gives you at least another day on the countertop before it turns into a rock. Given lean dough for me, adding a day is . . . doubling that fresh time.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a next step mix in that spectrum from an online retailer that will give you a longer life for something soft, but nothing that will maintain a crunchy bread crust consistently. That would be better than trying to derive a cocktail yourself. It's just hard to find with home bread making because people get into it to get away from industrial loaves. Fortunately, I haven't seen anybody mock somebody for trying.

Another way to go is practicing on freezing dough instead and seeing what you can get away with before baking smaller batches. I don't have much to say there though.