Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
They might as well have called our lactation room the "female resentment room"

They converted one of the men's rooms to a lactation room in a dept that is 75% male and already had too few bathrooms.

<<<< guess who shamelessly uses the ladies shitter now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Be sure to leave the seat up, even after making GBS threads.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
if I get caught I figure I'll roll the dice and claim I'm transgendered

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ZetsurinPower posted:

if I get caught I figure I'll roll the dice and claim I'm transgendered

Good thing you didn't use punctuation here, or I might have thought you were a bigot unironically.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
At my companies head office, there are two washrooms. One up front for clients and female employees, the other we have to walk through the loading dock of our neighbor to get to. It only gets cleaned once a month, and most of the stalls have been vandalized by current and former employees.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 20, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CFO posted:

TO: Organization
SUBJECT: Bathroom Use

There really is no delicate way to put this; therefore, I will just address the issue.

We ask that everyone refrain from using the bathroom when doing “#2”.

As you can all well understand, we just want to avoid any unpleasantness should we have guests visiting the Office.

Thank you!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sounds like they're telling you to just go on your desks.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Sounds like they're telling you to just go on your desks.

Exact wording loophole.

On topic, if I could draw, I would produce a comic strip describing my morning, but this is the script.

Panel 1: Employee arrives in conference room to sit in on conference call. In left hand, coffee; in right hand, Macbook Air.

Panel 2: the coffee tips and the employee with LIGHTNING reflexes grabs his laptop and FLINGS it to safety...

Panel 3: Right out the open window, four stories down onto concrete, then bouncing into the street under the wheels of a bus.

Panel 4: Our Fearless Hero the IT Guy (kind of resembling me, except 20 pounds lighter and with better hair) silently contemplates a pile of debris, facepalming.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Even better is the amount of days per month we get guests visiting the office:

0 to 0.5

Also,

CFO posted:

me posted:

Can I still go #3 in there?
I don’t even want to know what that is.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

An email came in asking about some strange modified dates on our EDMS. Time to email back and explain that... wait... hm...

Oh. Uh...

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Sirotan posted:

Good thing you didn't use punctuation here, or I might have thought you were a bigot unironically.

wow yeah close one!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

(#3)
I don’t even want to know what that is.

It's both, clearly.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

"No, that's okay, I'll keep making GBS threads when I need to poo poo, thanks."

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

"No, that's okay, I'll keep making GBS threads when I need to poo poo, thanks."

You can do that, just not in the bathroom :mad:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

go3 posted:

I guarantee that someone going 100% for 8 hours every day is punching out poo poo work

My company has really gone the metric route. The two big numbers are utilization, how much time you worked versus how much time is attached to cases, and cases closed. So you need to work and close a lot of cases or else get scrutiny.

They just offered overtime to have people come in and clear up the unassigned case back log. It turns out that people are cherry picking easy cases that they can close quickly, and avoiding the flaming piles of crap, which means those cases are sitting for days and making the customers even more unhappy.

I am sure no one could have predicted that this would happen.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GreenNight posted:

Our quiet room is the bathroom stall.

I thought those were for whiskey wednesdays.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Che Delilas posted:

The problem is that managers have to treat these people like individuals, and that takes effort.

You really don't even have to go this far.

Make your expectations clear, hire decent people. It's their job to figure out how to get their work done and to take the steps necessary to do it. As a manager, I only step in when targets aren't met or there's a problem.

It really doesn't have to be any harder than you make it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Your boss thinks that you shouldn't poo poo at work at all ever... ? ?! Well I hope they take away all coffee and cigarettes and also keep a tray of opiates in the breakroom to keep everyone blocked up.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
still trying to figure out how this happened

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tell them the next time you have to go you're going to drive home and do it. On the clock, obviously. Charge mileage.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Our "quiet rooms" are called milking parlors and aren't very quiet. We play both kinds of music in them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

re: "quiet room" chat

Really ambiguous term, that dude that was napping in it didn't do anything wrong and if the woman wanted him to leave she should have, oh I don't know, started with "do you know that this room is for mothers that want to breast feed?" instead of getting mad at him. I don't think he should have gotten ill will thrown towards him.

Also, seconding the "oh no a breast" thing. I thought we were suppose to be moving past that or something?

If you label a room with an obvious term that doubles as a code for something else, don't act like a jerk to people who don't understand the coded meaning.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Yay my network is back to (mostly) normal levels after the Women's Hockey Gold Medal game finished (Yay Canada wooo!).

Opening up streaming for Olympic Hockey to everyone - A Human Right; and I have no problem telling users to wait a couple hours, Hockey is on, your file upload will finish eventually.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

We had an employee on a conference call during our weekly meeting today and I had to hang up on her because she fell asleep and started snoring halfway through. :what:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wa27 posted:

We had an employee on a conference call during our weekly meeting today and I had to hang up on her because she fell asleep and started snoring halfway through. :what:

Had someone put the conference call on hold yesterday. Complete with hold music.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antioch posted:

Yay my network is back to (mostly) normal levels after the Women's Hockey Gold Medal game finished (Yay Canada wooo!).

Opening up streaming for Olympic Hockey to everyone - A Human Right; and I have no problem telling users to wait a couple hours, Hockey is on, your file upload will finish eventually.

We just set it up on the giant TVs in the boardroom.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SubjectVerbObject posted:

My company has really gone the metric route. The two big numbers are utilization, how much time you worked versus how much time is attached to cases, and cases closed. So you need to work and close a lot of cases or else get scrutiny.

They just offered overtime to have people come in and clear up the unassigned case back log. It turns out that people are cherry picking easy cases that they can close quickly, and avoiding the flaming piles of crap, which means those cases are sitting for days and making the customers even more unhappy.

I am sure no one could have predicted that this would happen.

Back when I was in support, if you got caught cherrypicking, you got assigned all the tickets above the one you cherrypicked.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I work for a behavioral health provider, and so "quiet room" brings up a different image entirely... a nice soft room, where IT can relax and drool dream of pods in the warm sunlight.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

RFC2324 posted:

Had someone put the conference call on hold yesterday. Complete with hold music.

Holy Jesus, always put a conference call on mute unless you have something to say.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You guys and your breastfeeding issues are cute. Here we basically have a boob department ( fine its called breast department, doing all the examination of boobs) and while all of us wander in and out of the OR and similar places, this department has this weird idea that medical IT can never be allowed to see the slightest bit of saggy old women tit. Hell most women dont give a poo poo, once one even said "Why are you making them wait outside, wtf kinda childsplay is this?" and they still refused to let us into the room until no patient was present. Everyone hates going there, because they had all of us sit outside the rooms for hours claiming that we could go in in a few minutes.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Antioch posted:

We were getting 400ms+ pings to everywhere outside the office during that game, but nobody in management told me to block olympics.cbc.ca, so...

sometimes it's nice to not have the authority to do anything proactive, i probably would've had a nervous breakdown from the giant angry crowd of people who would have swarmed my desk if i'd blocked it

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Theresa Frontpage posted:

We were getting 400ms+ pings to everywhere outside the office during that game, but nobody in management told me to block olympics.cbc.ca, so...

sometimes it's nice to not have the authority to do anything proactive, i probably would've had a nervous breakdown from the giant angry crowd of people who would have swarmed my desk if i'd blocked it

We had the lounge TVs on 3rd and 2nd tuned to the game, and a projector in the atrium area. I still had 400 open streaming connections and was told in no uncertain terms that streaming is not to be blocked whatsoever.
I like Hockey time, we do the same thing at Stanley Cup Playoffs.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
A ticket came in . . . . Our BESes have a decommission date.

HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH

We're moving to MDM on a limited list of BYOD. No more Blackberries, no more managing international services.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SEKCobra posted:

You guys and your breastfeeding issues are cute. Here we basically have a boob department ( fine its called breast department, doing all the examination of boobs) and while all of us wander in and out of the OR and similar places, this department has this weird idea that medical IT can never be allowed to see the slightest bit of saggy old women tit. Hell most women dont give a poo poo, once one even said "Why are you making them wait outside, wtf kinda childsplay is this?" and they still refused to let us into the room until no patient was present. Everyone hates going there, because they had all of us sit outside the rooms for hours claiming that we could go in in a few minutes.

You ain't worked in medical systems until you've developed a desensitization to people running around urgently. You develop this desensitization by hearing a commotion and turning around to see what's going on just in time to witness crowning.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Swedish workplace recommendations say a "resting room" where you can lie down if you're feeling nauseous / have a headache (or just need to knock out a few Zs for a bit) should be provided for a workplace larger than 50 people. The room should lock from the inside, have a busy/free signal and a personal alarm. If you're smaller than that a room that can be repurposed for a bit is OK, but for a larger workplace a dedicated quiet room must exist. I've used them on night shifts where I must take a 1 hour break, I eat a quick "lunch" then take a nap the rest of the time I'm off the clock. At our office they're used for the massage therapist that comes around when someone doesn't need it.

I'd automatically assume a "quiet room" in a different country would be a place to rest, lie down or maybe pray, not dedicated fora lactation. In fact I have no idea where our mothers pump themselves, I imagine they use handicap toilet since the quiet rooms in our building are way down in the basement.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SEKCobra posted:

We have a Breast Center (Mammography) here too. Personally, I don't care what department it is, if there's a patient in the room, I'm not stepping foot in there unless I have the nurse ask the patient permission first simply out of courtesy for the patient.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thebigcow posted:

Our "quiet rooms" are called milking parlors and aren't very quiet. We play both kinds of music in them.

I have to ask if this is a roundabout way to say that you work at a dairy farm.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

Or maybe a fetish club.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

TWBalls posted:

We have a Breast Center (Mammography) here too. Personally, I don't care what department it is, if there's a patient in the room, I'm not stepping foot in there unless I have the nurse ask the patient permission first simply out of courtesy for the patient.

We deal with a medical centre and a couple of dentists offices. We never go in to an examination room with a patient in it. Similar for the lawyers or accountants we deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Back end was a Blues Brothers reference: "Oh, we got both kinds of music - country *and* western." :suicide:

• Locked thread