Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

His goofy poo poo is loving horrible, but he's got a lot of really cool ambient poo poo that he's done that's legit cool.

His goofy poo poo just gets all the attention because it's so SO loving horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

All the way through I was asking him if he was sure, I had to take the nickel covers off his Bare-Knuckle pickups to put those things on, I probably took about £150 off the value or his guitar by doing that.

I was laughing until you mentioned they were bareknuckles. Now I feel kinda dirty. Did he provide any reasoning behind his decision?
I've considered using some eclipse mint tins as pickup covers before for shits and giggles but I don't have equipment to pot pickups safely yet.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Just had an idea, shall I put glittery green pickup-rings on the scratch guard?

Yes. Absolutely yes.

I guess if I started doing restrings/setups for cash I might be able to justify the string stretcher, I mean it's 19 bucks shipped intl. Even then though, that's only be because my hands might eventually get tired if I were doing it a lot, I stretch my strings as I put them on and the few times after tuning them up it takes for them to keep tune while playing hard. Honestly, I've always been confused by complaints of new strings not holding tune or whatever because I've never restrung a guitar and had an issue with that.

As for Kaiser those are the exact sounds I make when I'm really out of it and flailing at a fretboard for shits and giggles, usually through a fuzz factory and an awful amp that I've almost broken at this point (playing the 3/4 scale guitar I got with it (both free) tuned an octave down at max volume kinda hosed it up). How do I make fame/fortune out of this "talent"?

e: Oh just for the guy I was discussing it with earlier, went down to the local guitar store to get the no load pot I mentioned before. They only had solid shaft ones that are for some reason $30 instead of the $10 of the split shaft (they're the same price on ebay and I didn't see solid shaft ones on their site but oh well).
Decided to just ebay it instead, seeing as the soldering iron tip I need still hasn't come in at the local electronics store despite it being on special order for me. It's been a couple of weeks actually, I should probably call them and see what's going on.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Over the years I've accumulated a bunch of solid shaft pots, and I'm now realizing I have no knobs that fit them. Smart move on my part. I really should have gone with no-load for the tone ones too. Seems like there's no downside to having the option.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Over the years I've accumulated a bunch of solid shaft pots, and I'm now realizing I have no knobs that fit them. Smart move on my part. I really should have gone with no-load for the tone ones too. Seems like there's no downside to having the option.

Could still be useful for a project amp or pedal rehouse/build if you ever get into either of those, I guess?

Two come to mind: First, there aren't no-load push-pulls from what I can tell, so you lose that option. Second, from what I've read CTS's own ones don't have a detent, which makes what would've been 10 on a regular pot harder to find probably, while the fender detent supposedly makes it a little hard to roll off from there smoothly. Don't know how big an issue that would be on a tone pot though.

On lovely guitar stuff, my pickguard build is basically done, no finish on it yet (I actually kinda like how it looks as is for some reason) and it's too dark to take decent photos, but it will fit this thread. Turns out I was using masonite rather than MDF (which is good, hopefully it's less dangerous to work with), masonite has been used on guitars before (danelectro stuff, sure, but still, guitars!) so I'm calling it tonewood. Cutting the pickup holes with a hobby knife, drill and rasps was an experience I don't want to repeat, think I'll wait til I have a hand router before trying it with a nice piece of wood. Am getting feedback if I turn my amp up reasonably loud, but that's probably more a need for shielding and sorting out the ground loop with my power setup. So uh pictures coming soon I guess?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

th1nk posted:

I was laughing until you mentioned they were bareknuckles. Now I feel kinda dirty. Did he provide any reasoning behind his decision?

They wouldn't fit through the pickup rings without removing the nickel covers first, so he asked me to take them off. I'm fully expecting to have to re-fit the old covers off next week.

th1nk posted:

I've considered using some eclipse mint tins as pickup covers before for shits and giggles but I don't have equipment to pot pickups safely yet.
Equipment to pot pickups;

1 Stove-top/Heat soruce
1 Pot of water
1 Tin Can full of wax (maybe with a clean rock in the bottom)

Put tin-can inside pot, fill with water, place on hot stove, wait until wax melts, dip in pickup, jiggle to make sure the wax gets into the coil, remove then wait to dry. Easy.

It's not the most scientific way, but I've potted silly amounts of pickups without any problems.

th1nk posted:

I guess if I started doing restrings/setups for cash I might be able to justify the string stretcher, I mean it's 19 bucks shipped intl. Even then though, that's only be because my hands might eventually get tired if I were doing it a lot, I stretch my strings as I put them on and the few times after tuning them up it takes for them to keep tune while playing hard. Honestly, I've always been confused by complaints of new strings not holding tune or whatever because I've never restrung a guitar and had an issue with that.

It's not a useless product, it just seems kind of unnecessary to me. It does make things faster though, I guess.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

It's super easy to turn a normal pot into a no-load pot, you just take them apart and scrape off a bit of the graphite track.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQ8gS1PEO8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

That's not even close to the craziest thing the ESP custom shop has put out, it doesn't even have an actual, drawable katana in it.

hold the gently caress on i gotta see this

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.google.com/search?clien...0.0.uhg6BQ5dQ38

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that's the one with the working katana? ahahahaha I never thought that was actually a katana

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
刀だよ

White Dog Eggs posted:

They wouldn't fit through the pickup rings without removing the nickel covers first, so he asked me to take them off. I'm fully expecting to have to re-fit the old covers off next week.

Equipment to pot pickups;

1 Stove-top/Heat soruce
1 Pot of water
1 Tin Can full of wax (maybe with a clean rock in the bottom)

Put tin-can inside pot, fill with water, place on hot stove, wait until wax melts, dip in pickup, jiggle to make sure the wax gets into the coil, remove then wait to dry. Easy.

It's not the most scientific way, but I've potted silly amounts of pickups without any problems.

It's not a useless product, it just seems kind of unnecessary to me. It does make things faster though, I guess.

It's super easy to turn a normal pot into a no-load pot, you just take them apart and scrape off a bit of the graphite track.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQ8gS1PEO8

I've been wanting to give that shot, but now I've got an old mini-500k pot hanging around and a dinged up 550k. whichever one's easier to open (probably the 550k cts) will be a cool experiment.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

That's the first time I've actually been able to sit through an entire Kaiser video.

I love the comments on Kaiser videos.

jose quervo posted:

I NOW HATE MUSIC

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

White Dog Eggs posted:

Had a few minutes spare;

E: Still needs cleaning up around the edges and pickup holes doing etc. Will probably get basic electrics done tomorrow.

Anyone got any suggestions for the headstock? Again, limited by not being able to access my powertools until sometime next week and I'm going to stick with some cheap-rear end tuners I've got lying around, but I'm open to suggestions for anything you can think.

ANYTHING

make it in the shape of Michigan, complete with the UP

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It's a 6 inline, right? Any logo currently on it needs to be sanded off with 100 grit, and a lazy attempt at the Fender logo drawn in its place in sharpie.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Clitch posted:

It's a 6 inline, right? Any logo currently on it needs to be sanded off with 100 grit, and a lazy attempt at the Fender logo drawn in its place in sharpie.

Misspell Fender even and make it something like Fendar
Reminded me of the knock-off sharpie a co-worker of mine once had at his desk

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Clitch posted:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Better, since WDE's in the UK.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Clitch posted:

Yep, the finish has even been baldy sanded off the top already (I'm honestly not sure if it was me that did this).

It takes a special sort of person to play a pink guitar with a faux-ocelot fur pickguard and "Bender" written on the headstock.

I will be the hero people need me to be.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

It takes a special sort of person to play a pink guitar with a faux-ocelot fur pickguard and "Bender" written on the headstock.
I would gig this guitar forever and ever.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

iostream.h posted:

I would gig this guitar forever and ever.

You and me both.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Needs skull knobs for the pots, or the DiMarzio speed knobs which go to eleven.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

11 is for pussies.

Use these or something UV reactive.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Found in a "vintage instrument" shop, alongside many relic'd fenders that all cost no less than $1250. And yes, it says Puto.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Found in a "vintage instrument" shop, alongside many relic'd fenders that all cost no less than $1250. And yes, it says Puto.

would love to know who hates bo diddley that much and why

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Had a few spare minutes, I promise I'll get some wiring done tomorrow. Still no idea what I'm going to do, I'll just chuck switches and pots on there until I get bored.

^ I had to put the screws over the top of the coke tins because it was easier than trying to get them to lay flat.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Verizian posted:

11 is for pussies.

Use these or something UV reactive.

Annoyingly I don't think I've got any gross knobs :(. I maybe have some white speed knobs lying around, although those will probably be too tasteful. I guess I could buy some, but I wanted to use nothing but poo poo I had lying around. I could cover some chicken head knobs in glitter or paint them orange or something.....

I also tried writing "Bender" on the headstock with a marker but the wood drank up the ink and it looks blurry and crap so I had to sand it off. I'll seal it with something tomorrow then get doodling.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That thing is awesome, if the 'Puto' was back-lit with green LED's it would be god-like.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh yea, I can't find a whammy bar that will fit the bridge, at all (I've got 12 spare whammy bars lying around and none of them fit). Might see if I can make something that fits out of Meccano.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh yea, I can't find a whammy bar that will fit the bridge, at all (I've got 12 spare whammy bars lying around and none of them fit). Might see if I can make something that fits out of Meccano.

Steam punk whammy. Have it involve gears.

As for the knobs, can you make any silly poo poo from appliances fit? Maybe like stove knobs and toaster lever for pickup selector. :allears:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Steam punk whammy. Have it involve gears.

As for the knobs, can you make any silly poo poo from appliances fit? Maybe like stove knobs and toaster lever for pickup selector. :allears:

I had a quick look and I've got nothing suitable to steal knobs from. I'll think of something suitably stupid. Maybe make some really crude square knobs out of pine or something.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

a light switch as the pickup selector and dimmer knobs

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I had a quick look and I've got nothing suitable to steal knobs from. I'll think of something suitably stupid. Maybe make some really crude square knobs out of pine or something.

Not quite a guitar but you get the idea.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Lego-Cooker-Knobs/

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Drill holes in some dice, use as knobs. Bam

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skipopatomus posted:

a light switch as the pickup selector and dimmer knobs

How feasible would it be to replace the selector with a dimmer light switch

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like the dice idea, I'm sure I've got some ultra-tacky 'las vegas' dice somewhere....

Acquire Currency! posted:

How feasible would it be to replace the selector with a dimmer light switch

I could probably wire one up as a blend switch easily enough, no idea how it would sound though. A lot of soviet guitars actually used light switches as pickup toggles.

A quick aside about the pickups, I just realised that they were freebies from that Ed Roman "World Town" order.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Drill holes in some dice, use as knobs. Bam
This one goes to six.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Some gold on the input jack or tuners could really class it up. I think super gluing some bottle caps to some wood knobs would help keep up the cola theme. I'm also thinking a bad relic job complete with cigarettes burns on the headstock would help complete the mystique. Hell just install an e-cig holder. Just suggestions, looks great so far. If possible put it on craigslist for an insane amount of money. Also where's the monkey grip?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Krustic posted:

Some gold on the input jack or tuners could really class it up. I think super gluing some bottle caps to some wood knobs would help keep up the cola theme. I'm also thinking a bad relic job complete with cigarettes burns on the headstock would help complete the mystique. Hell just install an e-cig holder. Just suggestions, looks great so far. If possible put it on craigslist for an insane amount of money. Also where's the monkey grip?

If anyone wants to pay money for this after me and this thread are finished with it then I'll be amazed.

The monkey-grip is going on the Goontar (gently caress is that a horrible name), this is kind of a pre-goontar project to keep me busy whilst I get my workshop up and running.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Put it in nashville tuning but down a step or something

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
That's a good warmup guitar then. Can't wait to see the goontar. I would buy it just so I could post it on craigslist for $1000 or trade for a PRS custom 24 but the shipping from Europe would be too much.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

White Dog Eggs posted:

A quick aside about the pickups, I just realised that they were freebies from that Ed Roman "World Town" order.

Ten minutes ago I was shooting the poo poo with my dad. I opened up this thread, saw your latest update, and showed him a picture of the proto-goontar. He said, "yeah, that's pretty bad, but it could be uglier. I can't remember his name, but there was this guy out in Vegas..." I said, wait a minute... Ed Roman??? Had to find that story to show him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Don't forget to spray paint tone on it in comic sans, preferably in an awful color.

• Locked thread