Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Assuming there is a goon guild?

I’m BOONDIBIS_KJU5 if there is room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There are two (Gem Boiz and Gem Blossums), but it seems like we're hovering around the "both guilds full of active players" mark.

Do we need a third-tier partially filled noobs and rejects guild? :v:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Raid boss - what's the team?

I'm having success with;

Tomb Spider ***
Tarantella ***
Tricksters Shot +9 Archer class
The Widow Queen
Unicorn (Silverglade) banner

Since I have the Titan class fully leveled I'm messing with other classes - I miss it already. Tricksters shot is really nice however. I'm not sure if Tomb Spider is best in front and am open to any suggestions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Maugrim posted:

There are two (Gem Boiz and Gem Blossums), but it seems like we're hovering around the "both guilds full of active players" mark.

Do we need a third-tier partially filled noobs and rejects guild? :v:

I'd appreciate it since for some reason the game wouldn't let me (Spiff111_73CB) join Gem Blossums. Also the game really doesn't want me to have any legendaries or mythics :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 10, 2018

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

onefish posted:

Okay, people ask this all the time in the game forums, but I have enough diamonds to craft a mythic (relatively soon to be 2) and am not sure what to go for next. Currently have: Infernus, Pharos-Ra, Ubaster, Abynissia, Fallen Valdis, Stonehammer, Wulfgarok, Yasmine's Chosen. Do I go for one of the Apocalypse troops (Famine?), since I have no chance of getting those in chests? I guess I'd like to know if there are any mythics that are parts of teams people really like, or key to some really good Guild Wars defense teams, or whatever.

Possessed King is really good. His last trait makes him kind of an engine that you can run with any 3 other troops and he just accelerates everything while maintaining board control. He's in my PvP team that went like 120-2 last week, and the delve team I used to take primal rift to 500.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

onefish posted:

Okay, people ask this all the time in the game forums, but I have enough diamonds to craft a mythic (relatively soon to be 2) and am not sure what to go for next. Currently have: Infernus, Pharos-Ra, Ubaster, Abynissia, Fallen Valdis, Stonehammer, Wulfgarok, Yasmine's Chosen. Do I go for one of the Apocalypse troops (Famine?), since I have no chance of getting those in chests? I guess I'd like to know if there are any mythics that are parts of teams people really like, or key to some really good Guild Wars defense teams, or whatever.

Possessed King's explode trait is super useful.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Update 4.2 just dropped. I mucked around with requirements and cosmetic changes in Gem Boiz, but feel free to go behind my back and change more. I have us listed as a “balanced” guild — neither casual nor hardcore — but now that we can set weekly requirements we should talk about what they should be.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Update 4.2 just dropped. I mucked around with requirements and cosmetic changes in Gem Boiz, but feel free to go behind my back and change more. I have us listed as a “balanced” guild — neither casual nor hardcore — but now that we can set weekly requirements we should talk about what they should be.

IOS isn’t showing updated for me, but sounds good in general.

Edit: sure noooow the update drops.

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

porktree posted:

I'm having success with;

Tomb Spider ***
Tarantella ***
The Widow Queen

Since I have the Titan class fully leveled I'm messing with other classes - I miss it already. Tricksters shot is really nice however. I'm not sure if Tomb Spider is best in front and am open to any suggestions.

I'm using

Mountain Crusher (Titan)
Arachnean Weaver
Tarantella
Giant Spider
Unicorn banner

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Are there any hints to getting the more rare traitstones while exploring? I'd love one of the Red/Red ones to finish off my Firebomb team but the Pridelands aren't giving one up.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Difficulty has no impact. Just clear normal as fast as possible. What team are you using?

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

porktree posted:

I'm having success with;

Tomb Spider ***
Tarantella ***
The Widow Queen

I'm using:

Webspinner
Tarantella
Mountain Crusher (Titan)
Arachnean Weaver

Has worked well up to lvl 180 so far, might shift to Earth's Fury at some point.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bandire posted:

Difficulty has no impact. Just clear normal as fast as possible. What team are you using?

For exploring, I’m playing around with some mix of:

Sunbird
Titan with Mountain Crusher
Firebomb
Firebomb/Rowanne

Crypt Banner

In general I’ve been doing

Titan/ Mountain Crusher
Giant Spider
Spiritdancer
Divine Ishbaala

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 12, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Any tips for a build good enough to run dungeons, so I can get the jewels to make more troops? I'm getting stomped by the first dungeon and don't really know where to go from here. I've unlocked all the heroes and classes from the map.

Currently running a build from the 2015 OP that I'm sure sucks now:

sword banner
Sword of Heroes/Titan
Raven
Atlanta
Wyvern

Cards are base rarity, levelled up as far as they'll go. Working on collecting traitstones to upgrade them that way.

e: jewels != gems

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 12, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Do you have Hellcat and Alchemist? Building a team around those two will carry you far. For examples,

Adana Banner
Mercy***
Alchemist**
Hellcat
Queen Titania***

Shentang Banner
Alchemist**
Hellcat
Goblin Rocket*
Goblin Rocket*

Both of these team rely on chaining Hell-chemist extra turns together until the final troops are full. Titania deals spectacular damage and grants an extra turn if enough reds are on the board. Goblin Rocket gets an extra turn any time. You can probably see where this is going.

I’ll add “rewrite OP” to my list of poo poo to do over the holidays. The game has changed to an absurd degree since the original OP was abandoned.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Just untraited Alchemist out of all those. I saw that combo recommended a few pages ago.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Hello Sailor posted:

Just untraited Alchemist out of all those. I saw that combo recommended a few pages ago.

Same. Seems like Hellcat/giant spider/green seer are pretty rare?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grundulum posted:

Someone just set all the requirements to 999,999, and hey, internal goon trolling is a time honored tradition so :shrug:. It did remind me I forgot to reply to this post though. I set them to to zero gold, 150 seals, and 10 trophies.

My thoughts: We don't want new players to spend gold on the guild until they max their kingdoms, and there's not much to do with gold other than donate it after you reach that point. No reason to set this to non-zero.

We want seals to be high enough that you can't hit the mark just by claiming your free daily seals. You get 119 free seals from logging in, and 150 seemed like a good round number that implies you played at least a little. (That doesn't work in guild wars weeks, but its close enough.)

You should be doing your pvp matches every week, but not everyone enjoys that. I think the weekly guild events all give trophies now though, so this shouldn't be zero.

Those numbers might be too low depending on how hardcore we want to be, but they probably shouldn't be lower than that.

Also Russad is at 16 days since his last match, so he might be done for real this time.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I just got Mountain Crusher which I see mentioned here a lot. What's so good about it - does it just synergise well with Titan (which I haven't unlocked yet)?

Also just got my first Giant Spider, which I can pair with a Spiritfinder to make a loop. However I'm struggling to make that work for me in the pet rescue battles. Is there some trick to it or are goblin opponents just horrible no matter what team you bring?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Maugrim posted:

I just got Mountain Crusher which I see mentioned here a lot. What's so good about it - does it just synergise well with Titan (which I haven't unlocked yet)?

Also just got my first Giant Spider, which I can pair with a Spiritfinder to make a loop. However I'm struggling to make that work for me in the pet rescue battles. Is there some trick to it or are goblin opponents just horrible no matter what team you bring?

Yeah it's that titan + mountain crusher fits into a lot of teams. The spell usually ends up meaning explode at least 3/4 of the board which is nice for mana. And it creates a dust-storm before the board fills up so it's common to get a 4 or 5-match, giving an extra turn (and the mana from it). And because of titan traits, that can mean further yellow gem explosions and barrier on the hero. So, when a niche ability isn't needed for a fight, it's a popular default.

Re the spider, goblins -are- annoying ("whizz-bang!"). What's your output from the loop? I ran with mang for skull damage, and kraken's damage on 4-5 matches for a while, though it was super slow.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Maugrim posted:

I’ve been having so much fun with Mountain Crusher, Glaycion, King Bloodhammer, and TPK.

The explosions plus barriers plus lots of extra turns is just more fun than the Divine team. I may not win as much or as fast but I am enjoying it more since when it gets rolling it just feels good.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

porktree posted:

I've finally hit my stride with:

Titan / Mang
Dark Maiden *
Tarantella ***
Giant Spider **
(Abyssal Banner).

Feels pretty good color-wise, power up the hero with a shot to the boss, and have two troops to keep shaking the board until skull matches fall out. And make sure to win before Zuul'goth gets mana because without the hero it's awful.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Enkor posted:

I've finally hit my stride with:

Titan / Mang
Dark Maiden *
Tarantella ***
Giant Spider **
(Abyssal Banner).

Feels pretty good color-wise, power up the hero with a shot to the boss, and have two troops to keep shaking the board until skull matches fall out. And make sure to win before Zuul'goth gets mana because without the hero it's awful.

Using Earth's Fury instead of Mang gives the team a fighting chance if the hero goes down midgame. Otherwise that's what I'm using. Zulkari has nothing to offer but transforms.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Enkor posted:

What's your output from the loop? I ran with mang for skull damage, and kraken's damage on 4-5 matches for a while, though it was super slow.

I'm still experimenting. My hero is so strong relative to any of my minions that I feel like I really need him in first position, but that doesn't work with the loop (if he has the same mana colour he blocks it, and if he has a different mana colour he never fills up). So I guess I just need to farm enough souls and traitstones to buff the giant spider so it can survive a hit or two in first position.

I've currently got boar rider in my last slot, taking advantage of green/purple overflow while generating extra turns, but it feels pretty underwhelming for damage.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Your hero shouldn’t block blue, purple, or green, for sure. But you can still fill them by taking 4+ matches when they arise; and certainly take 4+ skull matches to boost your damage output. Kraken or Taloca would be great fits for the fourth slot, since they do direct damage on 4+ matches, but they are legendary troops and harder to acquire. Boar Rider isn’t a horrible idea in that slot, though. You can do a bit of damage, manipulate the board, and still keep the turn. Asha (Shentang quest troop damnit, that’s Penglong, not Asha) and Dark Song (Grosh’Nak quest troop) are other good candidates.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

Your hero shouldn’t block blue, purple, or green, for sure. But you can still fill them by taking 4+ matches when they arise; and certainly take 4+ skull matches to boost your damage output. Kraken or Taloca would be great fits for the fourth slot, since they do direct damage on 4+ matches, but they are legendary troops and harder to acquire. Boar Rider isn’t a horrible idea in that slot, though. You can do a bit of damage, manipulate the board, and still keep the turn. Asha (Shentang quest troop damnit, that’s Penglong, not Asha) and Dark Song (Grosh’Nak quest troop) are other good candidates.

Thanks, that's useful. I don't have any of the troops you mention but I've just started on the Grosh'Nak quests since I was between kingdoms anyway. Seem to be doing better with this team as I get more practice, but it's not nearly as fast as my goblins so I might stick with those until I've farmed the loop troops up a bit more.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Maugrim posted:

Thanks, that's useful. I don't have any of the troops you mention but I've just started on the Grosh'Nak quests since I was between kingdoms anyway. Seem to be doing better with this team as I get more practice, but it's not nearly as fast as my goblins so I might stick with those until I've farmed the loop troops up a bit more.

If you create an account on gowdb and sync it up with your gems of war account, you can share the link here so we can see what you have.

https://gowdb.com/account/register

Goblins are good, no shame in that.

A basic formula for success is hero titan class (unlocks in stormheim) ideally level 40 or higher in slot 1, appropriate mana color converter (Valkyrie and Alchemist are the easiest to get) in slot 2, and assuming you have a good one, the best legendary you got that matches the color you're converting to. Specifically Mountain Crusher weapon is great once you get it, and Apothecary feeds that and cleanses, then if you have another decent brown damage dealer you're good to go.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 13, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Devonaut posted:

If you create an account on gowdb and sync it up with your gems of war account, you can share the link here so we can see what you have.

https://gowdb.com/account/register

It's not letting me link my account - is the invite code it's asking for the same thing as my game password? I'm guessing not, but I don't know how to generate an invite code in that case.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Maugrim posted:

It's not letting me link my account - is the invite code it's asking for the same thing as my game password? I'm guessing not, but I don't know how to generate an invite code in that case.

Your invite code is like your NAME_1234, you can find it under the settings tab in gems of war.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Maugrim posted:

My invite code is SETH_OXMT please can I have an invite if there's room?

:confused: (I’ve never linked my account, but I think that’s the right thing.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

:confused: (I’ve never linked my account, but I think that’s the right thing.)

:doh: Naturally.

My collection:
https://gowdb.com/collection/9bc0477d5ff6c55aac99328bc14ddf30

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 13, 2018

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I think your very first order of business should be to fully trait Fire Bomb to set up a Sunbird / 2x Fire Bomb / either Rowanne or Hero team to use for quick explores when you need stones to trait other troops. And the very first thing to trait with that team should be Sunbird.

I think Pet Battles are probably mostly a waste of time until you have some more troops. But we ought to be able to figure out a team for you that can at least do a level or two of the Dungeon each day.

edit: Fire Bomb's third trait lets it start at full mana so you can cast it without matching gems, and the explodes will often fill Sunbird, which can often kill the the remainder of the enemies. It's a team that can kill multiple enemies quickly no matter what's on the board you get, and doesn't require you to spend much time looking for matches. And yes, always explore at normal difficulty. Exploring at higher difficulty is essentially never worth it, as odds for traitstones don't change.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 13, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thranguy posted:

Using Earth's Fury instead of Mang gives the team a fighting chance if the hero goes down midgame. Otherwise that's what I'm using. Zulkari has nothing to offer but transforms.

I really wish they would bring back a way to get or craft Earths Fury. It’s so useful and I missed it when it was available.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Try this:
Mountain Crusher (MC)
Apothecary
Goblin Rocket
Keeper of Souls

Nice thing about this is it works without any traits. Just fill up apothecary, cast it as soon as you can make a 4-brown match, and same with keeper of souls when you can make 4 skulls. MC generates mana for your entire team. Rocket always gives you a free turn. so don't be afraid to use him to collect mana or for skull damage, whatever.

Work on Titan but in the meantime Archer is a good class for this. Get the hunter's mark on 4/5 match to boost your skull damage, and the entangle at start for some extra safety.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Devonaut posted:

Try this:
Mountain Crusher (MC)
Apothecary
Goblin Rocket
Keeper of Souls

Nice thing about this is it works without any traits. Just fill up apothecary, cast it as soon as you can make a 4-brown match, and same with keeper of souls when you can make 4 skulls. MC generates mana for your entire team. Rocket always gives you a free turn. so don't be afraid to use him to collect mana or for skull damage, whatever.

Work on Titan but in the meantime Archer is a good class for this. Get the hunter's mark on 4/5 match to boost your skull damage, and the entangle at start for some extra safety.

Also upgrade Mountain Crusher as you can with Legendary Ingots - once you get the ability that gives Dust storm (more brown gems) on use, your chances of getting another turn from a 4-5 match goes way up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks all, that really gives me a much better idea of what to work on. Will be nice to have a few good teams to switch between for variety.

e: Wait what's so great about firebombs in that team? Do you just explore on normal difficulty so the firebombs explode everything?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 13, 2018

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Two Fire Bombs exploding should fill Sunbird and soften the enemy team up so that one cast of Sunbird should end the match. It's really fast for explores.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
drat, just pulled a Skadi!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

drat, just pulled a Skadi!

That’s awesome. Skadi does a bunch of useful things, so it’s worth spending an orb on her traits. Having a perma-blue storm is great, especially if paired with a large-scale exploder; the ability to rearrange your opponent’s team is great; and let us not forget that her spell also summons one of the best lockdown troops in the game (which is admittedly less useful if you don’t have Mab traited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

For the week of 12/17, the purchasable arcane is Venom (green/purple) - 1 trait stone for 300 glory.

Notable Troops:

Kraken (Legendary) - Will be your bane for a time in the mid game, as its last trait deals solid scratch damage. Used to be much more dangerous, before a nerf to how <effect> on 4 or 5 gem match traits work. Is still dangerous because devour is always a threat. A Tank, Alchemist, Hellcat, Kraken team can still do work.
Spirit Fox (Ultra-Rare) - Traits start it with full mana, has a mana drain and denies yellow.
Nimue (Legendary) - Dual converter with a life steal on green gem matches. Would be amazing if it converted a color to green...

Other Troops:

Sea Troll (Epic) - Blue troll. Nothing special.
Tzathoth (Epic) - Web with a small chance to devour.
Asha (Epic) - Enchant, magic buff, blue denial. Useful as mid game slot on a dragon team.
Boar Rider (Rare) - Board control goblin with some damage. Always use the row clear to set up another 4 or 5 match. Note that the spell removes gems, not destroys them, so you get no mana.
Greed (Rare) - Useful as a stall on gold generating defense teams.
Siren (Rare) - Empowered gem creator that can choose the color of gems. Is unreliable because the enemy has to have the color, and the color generated is randomly chosen if the enemy has more than one color.

Other legendaries:
Alderfather - Dual converting summoner. Random entangle is not optimal, but useful if you have other troops that are boosted by entangled enemies. Mostly, the primal rift legendary.
Sol'Zara - I did not realize this troop was legendary until writing this post. I use her on my soul farming team.
The Widow Queen - I only acquired her this week, the very last legendary I was missing. Basically an amped up sacrificial priest, with a webbing trait.
Venoxia - Flavor text is one of her strongest aspects.
Xerodar - Designed to screw you out of the no casualties faction points.

Mythics that use Venom:
Plague - A little too random to see much use, decreasing a random skill is pretty unreliable.
Wulfgarok - Proto-Ubastet. Devour on kill is really good and will completely turn a fight around, but Ubastet does more damage, so the proc on kill is way more reliable.
Arachnaean Weaver - Pretty high tier mythic, would put it not far behind Infernus, Ubastet, and Pharos-Ra at the forge. Very good damage, web is a great way to lock enemies down, and the trait that summons Webspinner when an enemy dies has saved me quite a few times. (Aside: Webspinner is really interesting, because the web on skull damage trait procs before the damage is dealt, so as long as the enemy can be afflicted with web, the damage is always tripled.)
Yasmine's Chosen - I feel like this troop is almost great. Random entangles on green matches, does split damage that is boosted by entangled enemies, and generates a bunch of green gems to entangle more enemies and self-fill. It just never seems to gel in practice. Maybe combine with Nimue and create a green version of the Flammifer/Yao guai team that is currently popular?
Wild Queen - Great addition if you are forced to use a wildfolk team.

Since there were two of them in the list this week, I will say I am really disappointed in most of the faction troops added so far. Silent Sentinel is the only faction legendary that I have any use for outside going for the delve points.