Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

Also I am slightly annoyed that the more interesting/unique weapons like the shuriken, katana, and giant lightsaber-scepter all have the Royal Arms' "attack from HP" debuff applied to them.

I never would have started using them at all if I hadn't noticed that the katana has the Light/Holy element and therefore can actually damage flans and the like.

It's not Holy, it's just that Royal Arms always do full damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think I'm running out of things to do in Chapter 3 and may be time to move on. I think I can hit 45 with the banked XP I have right now. All I have left to do is the Malmalam Thicket and whatever bounties I can do and not get killed (I still suck at this combat system)

There's very little you CAN'T do in Chapter 3, from what I've gathered. Anyone able to help fill the list? (Putting in spoiler tags to stay on the safe side)

Vesperpool Bay
Altissa hunts
Adamantoise/that other boss?
Sealed dungeons
Imperial base items (like the sniper rifle and Prompto tools)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

There's very little you CAN'T do in Chapter 3, from what I've gathered. Anyone able to help fill the list? (Putting in spoiler tags to stay on the safe side)

Vesperpool Bay
Altissa hunts
Sealed dungeons

Can't get Aranea in your party, worst chapter.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm only level 40, but lemme just say Coeurl are bullshit.

Also I still am doing sidequests and hunts and am still in chapter 3. The proper way to final fantasy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JetsGuy posted:

Also I still am doing sidequests and hunts and am still in chapter 3. The proper way to final fantasy.

They stay bullshit. Hardest enemy in the game by far.

So drat fast. 1hit kilow with no indication.

It gets better because you get rich enough to have 99 phoenix downs.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah that's also why they're almost unbeatable in the monster arena.

Also a tip for fighting them: When they go lay down it's a trap. If you come close they'll zap you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Vesperpool Bay
Altissa hunts
Sealed dungeons

Several quest chains don't open up until later. To take a non-spoiler example Sania only has two or three quests available in chapter 3.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So I just installed the latest patch and it made it so the game area doesn't fill up the entire screen and leaves a small black border.

e: Oh, it was probably the system update that fricked it. Nvm.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 22, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

DaveKap posted:

Except he's still an impediment because he isn't able to use Regroup until much later.

Also, I wish the Valse Di Fantastica songs were available in the car radio. :/ It's sorta the best song in the game. ... Sorta.

not sorta, just flat out is, besides the battle theme for the western piece of the map(at least thats how I think they are organized "up for a challenge" is OST name) the best one might being the slower one for sure though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULExobtlAI
im looking on the ost to see if it has a different name

Edit- Yup, it's called sunset waltz on the OST

Something interesting about the song is thats its very similar to the battle theme from beasts castle in KH2.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 22, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SectumSempra posted:

not sorta, just flat out is, besides the battle theme for the western piece of the map(at least thats how I think they are organized) the best one might being the slower one for sure though.
That's why I said sorta. The battle themes are so well done, the summon song still gives me goosebumps, and then you've got that dubstep track. My god, the dubstep track.
But yeah, I wanted Sunset Waltz playing while I drove my car but had to settle for Blue Fields. I think at the end of the day, I do have to say it's absolutely the best track in the game because SquareEnix hasn't put out a song hook like this since FF8. Meanwhile, Nobuo made Fantasy Life put them to shame. God I wish they'd work together properly again.

Hey so about the ending of the game... Is this like the end of the Batman trilogy where we just kinda make up our own minds as to whether it's real or not or is that definitely the thing that's really happening? I went with the former.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 22, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Still in Chapter 12 but I'm seeing similarities with this game and Type-0. The story beats are all over the place right now and the game just drops bombs outta nowhere after the relatively quiet portions of the game.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

DaveKap posted:

That's why I said sorta. The battle themes are so well done, the summon song still gives me goosebumps, and then you've got that dubstep track. My god, the dubstep track.
But yeah, I wanted Sunset Waltz playing while I drove my car but had to settle for Blue Fields. I think at the end of the day, I do have to say it's absolutely the best track in the game because SquareEnix hasn't put out a song hook like this since FF8. Meanwhile, Nobuo made Fantasy Life put them to shame. God I wish they'd work together properly again.

Hey so about the ending of the game... Is this like the end of the Batman trilogy where we just kinda make up our own minds as to whether it's real or not or is that definitely the thing that's really happening? I went with the former.

nah, it's the after life, if you mean the throne, if you mean the camp scene, thats before they fought, FF is pretty big in presenting dream worlds and whatever, so thats the after life., just like luna falling into the blue flowers, which if it wasn't so spoiler inducing should be something plastered all over because of how pretty it was

unrelated

I feel like final fantasies have been having less and less FMVs lately.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Still in Chapter 12 but I'm seeing similarities with this game and Type-0. The story beats are all over the place right now and the game just drops bombs outta nowhere after the relatively quiet portions of the game.

Haven't played type zero, but if thats the case we can safely say all of the original 3 games with the FFXIII title ended up with some sort of wacky story telling issues.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Favorite photos of everyone:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DaveKap posted:

It's Noct and Luna's Final Fantasy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Holiday pack DLCs up on Euro PSN, seems you need both packages (one of which is the + marked) if you've got the season pass. Lv1 playthrough commencing.

Nixperience Band is an accessory you need equipped, but they all seem to be equippable by anybody to work, so extra AP earnings in many ways. Gonna be a fun challenge.

By fun challenge I mean making at least 555 AP before getting started. Gotta secure AP earning abilities man.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 22, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

nah, it's the after life
poo poo, that is a boring loving after life.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

https://twitter.com/MerryKish/status/811663330725150720

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Alucardd posted:

So the 5 hour and 96 track OST is out now on a few places including Google Music who has it on sale right now for $7.

C$28 on the Apple Store, fml

Bombadilillo posted:

I fought a level 34 coeurl at level 14 and beat it only using one Phoenix down... maybe y'all just suck at video games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

C$28 on the Apple Store, fml

I fought a level 34 coeurl at level 14 and beat it only using one Phoenix down... maybe y'all just suck at video games.

Have fun when you fight 3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

When they sit down and their whiskers go up, stay away unless you want to get one shot. That's the indication.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Holiday pack DLCs up on Euro PSN, seems you need both packages (one of which is the + marked) if you've got the season pass. Lv1 playthrough commencing.

Nixperience Band is an accessory you need equipped, but they all seem to be equippable by anybody to work, so extra AP earnings in many ways. Gonna be a fun challenge.

By fun challenge I mean making at least 555 AP before getting started. Gotta secure AP earning abilities man.

How are the AP-boosting accessories?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Took out the Adamantoise.

I think this is the only bit of the FFXV postgame that I really, absolutely, definitely genuinely think is Actually Very Good. I mean like the rest of the game it's got a pile of issues; the engine strains to accommodate a fight on this scale, warp striking over those distances is a bit bananas, the camera doesn't even know where to begin, and when you really get down to it the fight isn't actually all that interesting but man they had an idea and they just loving went for it. The encounter works, both as a spectacle and a mechanical challenge (sort of). Frankly I wish we could've had more setpiece bosses work as well as this, in huge arenas with long distance warping and what have you.

It was all worth it for Ignis' response.

E: I'm now listening to this soundtrack, and haha, oh man, hands up everyone who never even knew the Type-F had its own theme.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 22, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I find it kinda odd that I haven't seen anyone else post screenshots of the astronauts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

There is a food in altissia that ignis can learn which makea you immune to one hit ko attacks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DaveKap posted:

I find it kinda odd that I haven't seen anyone else post screenshots of the astronauts.

How'd you do this? Fast travelling while doing a hunt in the power plant?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

How'd you do this? Fast travelling while doing a hunt in the power plant?

You can get the Thermal suits in the postgame. They are on a bench near Holly outside the power plant.

They also own and trivialize certain fights. :ssh:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can get the Thermal suits in the postgame. They are on a bench near Holly outside the power plant.

They also own and trivialize certain fights. :ssh:

Specifically, the one for Noctis is on the bench, and then you get it for the other party members by doing the 'Help needed in EXINERIS' hunt which is just 8 Garchimaceras.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DaveKap posted:

Where do the astronaut suits come from??

E: f,b

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Oxxidation posted:

Also I am slightly annoyed that the more interesting/unique weapons like the shuriken, katana, and giant lightsaber-scepter all have the Royal Arms' "attack from HP" debuff applied to them.

I never would have started using them at all if I hadn't noticed that the katana has the Light/Holy element and therefore can actually damage flans and the like.

I'm sad because the version of Star of the Rogue was way better in Platinum Demo. If the arms still drained MP instead you could build a cool synergy using them and MP recovery skills from astralsphere

E: Wow props to the update for finally fixing the zoomed in screen issue. I can actually see the buff timer in the bottom of the screen now

Nina fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 22, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

So costlemark isn't nearly as bad as I expected, I was level 82 though.

Something very important and I found out during the 3 red giant naga fight

If you can't use someones skill and their health mysteriously is staying in place and the enemies feel all over you, there is a good chance that your teammates have glitched out of the fight.

So I beat that fight with only gladio and noctis

Something very important though. Armiger Chain brings them back even if they glitched out, which i found out on my last hit vs naga. :downs:

Ignis' Enhancement stacks, if you didn't know.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

It's like when I'm not playing the game i can find plenty to complain about, but when I play it I still love it.

Also I've reinforced my opinion that valse de fantastica along with sunset waltz are the best song in the game

followed by Up for the challenge. I think it's hand down the best battle theme, beating even FFV's and FFxiii's blinded by light.

Ty to whoever found out about the 8 dollar FFXV OST.
It's the first game ost I've bought.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 22, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Tonberries are such goofy enemies.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want to buy just a FLAC copy of the Cleigne battle theme. Is that possible?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It's Noct and Luna's Final Fantasy.

I'm going with that's the right answer.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RatHat posted:

Tonberries are such goofy enemies.

I found that dodge/counter took them down pretty painlessly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man, these bonus AP things should have been in the game from launch, and shouldn't take up accessory slots.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Season pass bought yayy

I'm level 33 in chapter 3 and just sifequesting forever

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In Chapter 2, can I fight the magitek armors and have a decent shot at winning? Or are they a "don't go near these"/Lu Bu type situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I really want this soundtrack but I own Apple devices, not Google. If I buy it through Google Music will I have an easy way of extracting the MP3s and putting them where I want or will it always be tied to the Google music service?

e: I'd like it to just be added to Spotify, but I would also like to give money towards what I think is some fantastic music. Does anyone know the name of the late game camping theme?

ee: found it. Relax and Reflect - Pensive. So many good tracks I don't remember hearing during gameplay....

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2016

• Locked thread