Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't ranching dying because everyone wants to move into Oil and Gas?

Yea, I got to the Pickering go just after 1, and it was just before I saw the bus I needed. So early Saturday Evening. I waited about 40 minutes coming back along Major Oaks. NExt time I'm just going to go get the Go Bus at STC to Brock and Kingston and walk up.

Unless some delay fuckery is going either scheduled or unscheduled, TTC is rarely 15 or 20 minutes. Worst case I've ever had to wait was 40 minutes, but that was 3am on a wednesday.

The #6 Bathurst north of St clair would routinely be 40 minutes apart during frequent service hours, and then 5 or 6 would come, and most of them would be full and just blow past all the stops.

The Steeles bus would often be so full you'd have to go west almost all the way to Keele and sometimes even Jane before you could get off and get back on heading eastbound to young and the office buildings at finch station.

The Queen and waterfront streetcars short turned so much I almost never bothered with them. Walking was faster.

And by the time I left quite often you had to travel opposite rush hour traffic at least a few drops to get on a subway.

TTC service loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Helsing posted:

"Albertans don't need to start worrying yet, Tyler said, but that could change if action isn't taken."

aka the boomers won't be doing poo poo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The fact that Toronto exists and built a streetcar system and then went 'yeah this is fine' and never upgraded the streetcars for 40 years is one of those things that just makes me really sad about the realities of municipal politics tbh. Everyone knows it's garbage but getting a council to agree to fund a modernization of the system is a loving nightmare.

E: Apparently they upgraded some of them but every time i feel like I hope on one it's like a fuckin time machine, maybe I'm riding the wrong routes. The whole thing seems like an archaic mess.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 20, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We "upgraded" our streetcars in as much as we ordered nearly 200 new wizbang high-tech accessible ones from Bombardier, which Bombardier has completely failed to provide because they can't manufacture their way out of a wet paper bag. On top of missing every single delivery deadline, it turns out they hosed up the welding and the very few they have delivered have to be sent back for extensive refurbishment.

So if it feels like you're riding a time machine, and you're not on the old PCC they keep on Lakeshore, thank Bombardier for being loving worthless.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know I'm late on this but imagine I made a joke about burning crosses in PG for light about two pages ago.

edit: that joke also ages me and I can't believe I'm now making jokes that show how old I am :smith:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Speaking as one of the resident Albertans, I've been pissed off about the massive waste of water within the province involved in irrigation since I was old enough to know it was an issue. Rangers and agriculture that depend on sucking the bow dry to survive SHOULD die, and they should do it now, given that it'll only get worse as time goes on (and ranching (which, in Alberta, translates to beef) is a massive climate change contributer anyway, so it's either a doomed industry if we try too late to get our act together or it dooms us all faster, so gently caress those guys anyway).

lol, do you remember the time the NDP environment minister tweeted that living a more environmentally friendly lifestyle could include eating a little less meat and the entire province lost its loving mind?

quote:

Need a resolution? @EnviroLeth Green Challenge: use reusable shopping bags, take shorter showers, unplug electronics devices, eliminate vehicle idling and eat less meat. The Challenge runs Jan 15-Feb 15.

Like, she had to apologize for it and everything (and threw a staffer under the bus in the process).

Literally sacred cows.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

infernal machines posted:

We "upgraded" our streetcars in as much as we ordered nearly 200 new wizbang high-tech accessible ones from Bombardier, which Bombardier has completely failed to provide because they can't manufacture their way out of a wet paper bag. On top of missing every single delivery deadline, it turns out they hosed up the welding and the very few they have delivered have to be sent back for extensive refurbishment.

http://projects.thestar.com/bombardier-ttc/

quote:

A factory worker characterized it more bluntly: “They take f---ing hammers and they smash the steel into shape, like it’s a f---ing dwarves’ forge.”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CRISPYBABY posted:

The fact that Toronto exists and built a streetcar system and then went 'yeah this is fine' and never upgraded the streetcars for 40 years is one of those things that just makes me really sad about the realities of municipal politics tbh. Everyone knows it's garbage but getting a council to agree to fund a modernization of the system is a loving nightmare.

E: Apparently they upgraded some of them but every time i feel like I hope on one it's like a fuckin time machine, maybe I'm riding the wrong routes. The whole thing seems like an archaic mess.

Compared to most other municipalities in North America it's a minor miracle Toronto didn't tear up their streetcar tracks and instead kept them and maintained them until we collectively realized that our car-centered transit system is an unending nightmare that contributes to the slow boiling of our civilization.

three bike lanes for cyclist-fans under the sky
seven streetcars for transit nerds in their halls of computers
nine subways for ford men doomed to diabetes

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 20, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

twistedmentat posted:

Even with the shittyness of the TTC, it's still better than that. And now Ford wants the province to take over the TTC, because that will go really well.

Not the TTC, just the subway, see if you can guess why.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Reince Penis posted:

I don't care what he says, so long as I can have a go at the Greeks. They invented gayness!!!

Hey that reminds me how is that whole thing going where Canada/Manitoba/Ontario (etc.) is "going to be just like Greece this time next year" coming along?

I remember a few years back that was a Conservative talking point. Are we planning on splitting from the EU? Has the economy collapsed a few times because of marginal tax increases on the wealthy?

(Conservatives are so loving stupid)

Also I sincerely hope that Bernier splits the Conservatives because then we will be in another golden age where they spend all their time pissing on each other instead of on the rest of us.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

InfiniteZero posted:

Also I sincerely hope that Bernier splits the Conservatives because then we will be in another golden age where they spend all their time pissing on each other instead of on the rest of us.

I wish but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. The Progressive Conservative and Reform/Canadian Alliance party merger is fairly recent. Recent history has shown that both social conservatives and fiscal conservatives would just hold their noses and vote for whoever's running.

:(

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Hey that reminds me how is that whole thing going where Canada/Manitoba/Ontario (etc.) is "going to be just like Greece this time next year" coming along?

I remember a few years back that was a Conservative talking point. Are we planning on splitting from the EU? Has the economy collapsed a few times because of marginal tax increases on the wealthy?

(Conservatives are so loving stupid)

nothing has changed just find-replace "greece" with "muh venuzula"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I wish but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. The Progressive Conservative and Reform/Canadian Alliance party merger is fairly recent. Recent history has shown that both social conservatives and fiscal conservatives would just hold their noses and vote for whoever's running.

:(

Probably, but never ever underestimate their ability to do the stupidest thing possible.

As already mentioned, the thing that Harper did best was to muzzle the crazies in his party for the sake of maintaining governance. Harper's gone and Scheer just had his first real test and took the road of the feckless coward (to the surprise of nobody).

You can bank on people to go with US style Trump politics (see: Ontario), but I think the jury is still out as to whether that could fly federally yet, so Scheer is really playing with fire now and I know I'm thrilled to watch him potentially go up in smoke.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

InfiniteZero posted:

You can bank on people to go with US style Trump politics (see: Ontario), but I think the jury is still out as to whether that could fly federally yet, so Scheer is really playing with fire now and I know I'm thrilled to watch him potentially go up in smoke.

This is pretty astoundingly naive

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ante posted:

This is pretty astoundingly naive

Cool analysis.

Care to explain where I'm being naive?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

InfiniteZero posted:

Lol.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

InfiniteZero posted:

Care to explain where I'm being naive?

There were some saying the same thing about Doug Ford not so long ago.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Even though many Canadians will poo poo all over the US, there are far too many willing to corncob themselves over those lieburls and immgrants y'know.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Falstaff posted:

There were some saying the same thing about Doug Ford not so long ago.

Yes, but it's still a gamble rather than a sure thing at this stage and Doug Ford didn't win solely based on his being a Trump style politician but also on the incredible ineptitude of the OLP. I know this thread loves to say "Canadians are all poo poo" but it's really situational. If you don't understand that Ford and Trump won based on who they were running against, I'll spin the stupid "astoundingly naive!" argument right back at you.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 20, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I mean Ford would have lost if the OLP did 9/11 their campaign into the NDP because (I assume) the Liberals believe that this gives them the best chance of attritioning back into power.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Ontario Liberals are not the federal Liberals and Trudeau is not Kathleen Wynne, no matter how many hand wringing comments you read about him on CBC.com

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

The Ontario Liberals are not the federal Liberals and Trudeau is not Kathleen Wynne, no matter how many hand wringing comments you read about him on CBC.com

As long as Trump continues to single us out and the Liberals continue to flip him the bird they are going to retain their slight lead in support since it seems like thats the best way for them to recover any losses.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

A Typical Goon posted:

Defund the CBC comments sections!

Actually serious: the CBC shouldn't be maintaining comments sections.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A Typical Goon posted:

But he called an old lady a racist and then said he was fine with that! :supaburn:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A Typical Goon posted:

The parties are different or the people are different? They aren't the same party but there's a lot of overlap, platform and people wise. Trudeau hasn't had his hydro one moment yet but you wait until just after you're elected into your second shot to do that.

quote:

Trailing badly in the polls, Ontario Liberal Leader Kathleen Wynne is calling on some campaign help from the federal side.

Zita Astravas is known in Liberal circles as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's "fixer." She is taking an unpaid leave of absence as chief of staff to Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan to work in Wynne's war room starting next week.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OLP: We will never concede lest the NDP get a majority!

~*PCs get a majority*~

~*crickets chirping*~

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

~*PCs get a majority*~

~*crickets chirping*~

TBH I'm pretty happy recent history (bailing on PR federally, torpedoing the ONDP provincially) has given me undeniable reasons to tell door knocking Liberals to gently caress off for the rest of my natural life.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

~*PCs get a majority*~

~*crickets chirping*~

They should all pile into the minivan and go cause a ruckus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They should all pile into the minivan and go cause a ruckus

It's like The Hangover, but featuring the entire OLP caucus

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

There was an opinion piece shortly after the Ontario election that made a convincing argument for the opposite of it's premise:

Macleans posted:

Why Doug Ford’s Ontario PC government should grant the Liberals party status
by Angela Wright Jun 18, 2018
Losing official party status is about more than not having a dedicated leader’s office and research staff: it’s a fundamentally different position within the legislature, which impacts the type of work an MPP is able to do. MPPs not part of a recognized party are deemed “independent” by the legislature. This means they’re not privy to important meetings that oversee the way the legislature is governed and the schedule is set (e.g. the Board of Internal Economy and House Leaders’ meetings). Consequently, their offices are often operating in the dark and are beholden to whatever information the other parties are willing to share.
They’re also barred from proposing amendments to bills studied by committees they don’t sit on and must rely on the willingness of a member of another party to move it on their behalf.

Without money for staff to research government policies, “independent” MPPs’ staffers have to read entire bills (which can be upwards of 200 pages), figure out their potential impact, and determine how to vote. Pity the political staffer whose boss also wants to speak to a bill and must also write a 20-minute speech. This is in addition to usual parliamentary tasks like meeting with stakeholders, corresponding with constituents, and organizing events. There is also the loss of small luxuries like colour and double-sided photocopying, which is done using expensive machines only made available to party caucuses. Staff for independent MPPs must walk across the building to the parliamentary library just to photocopy a sheet of paper on both sides. This makes representing and serving constituents—the main job of any MPP—more difficult.
It would also be a boon for Ford and the PC Party’s public image. One of the branding problems that the Conservatives have had to deal with is the impression that they’re lacking compassion, and Ford’s opponents have spent months trying to frame him as brutish and unable to work with others. Nothing would confirm these beliefs quite like kicking opponents when they’re down; denying the Liberals’ request would make the PCs look petty and fearful of a stronger Liberal party.

It goes on an on and it's all pretty great. Oh no, the remaining Liberal MPPs might have to actually work.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reince Penis posted:

TBH I'm pretty happy recent history (bailing on PR federally, torpedoing the ONDP provincially) has given me undeniable reasons to tell door knocking Liberals to gently caress off for the rest of my natural life.

If you really hate the Liberals you should keep those door knockers around as long as possible, to prevent them from talking to people who might actually vote for them. Offer them food and drink. Seem sympathetic.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PittTheElder posted:

If you really hate the Liberals you should keep those door knockers around as long as possible, to prevent them from talking to people who might actually vote for them. Offer them food and drink. Seem sympathetic.

I love this

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nocturtle posted:

There was an opinion piece shortly after the Ontario election that made a convincing argument for the opposite of it's premise:

It goes on an on and it's all pretty great. Oh no, the remaining Liberal MPPs might have to actually work.

Also from the PC perspective it's a pretty terrible argument: "If you don't grant them official party status they'll be operating completely in the dark and won't have any input on legislation!". That's like.... exactly what the PC's want? They aren't exactly the party of "everyone should have a say"

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The parties are different or the people are different? They aren't the same party but there's a lot of overlap, platform and people wise. Trudeau hasn't had his hydro one moment yet but you wait until just after you're elected into your second shot to do that.

I think perception of the leader/party is different, even if I agree personally that it’s the same poo poo, different smile

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Weird. Usually dict.cc is pretty good about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vancouver real estate market continues to be completely sane and sustainable

https://twitter.com/steeletalk/status/1031604156732043270?s=21

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Why do news site comment sections even exist?

By the time you've got the the bottom you've already seen all the ads and had your targeted advertising profile updated with whatever you just read.

And then nobody is actually talking to each other, it's just boomers and older yelling dumb poo poo opinions into the void and never coming back to them.

Nothing of real value is ever gained there. There's no conversations, no exchange of ideas. No organization of other things.

I guess there's more ad/tracking data to be scraped somehow with most of them being tied to facebook accounts now but it seems like it wouldn't even be worth whatever it costs to have someone on staff spending their day deleting every blatantly racist or threatening thing that pops up.

CBC at least please be more like BBC and have a tiny bit of class and self respect.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Also:

quote:

B.C. wildfires 2018: Thick smoke grounds firefighting aircraft

The thick smoke that's blanketed much of B.C. in recent days has grounded firefighting aircraft and made it difficult to detect new wildfires, officials say.

"We have had to ground aircraft in some instances just because visibility was too poor, unsafe to fly," Fraser told CBC. "Smoky conditions also can pose a problem with detection and discovering new wildfires."

:toot:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So did I see correctly that Andrew Scheer angry at Trudeau for calling out a racist heckler?

It's like he's trying to out-stupid Maxime Bernier or something. What's the game here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Entropic posted:

Vancouver real estate market continues to be completely sane and sustainable

https://twitter.com/steeletalk/status/1031604156732043270?s=21

See, it wouldn't be so bad if each sale turned the property into a multi-unit dwelling with rent controlled units