Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was thinking about reload animations as one does and remembered one from the 2006 PS2 game Black. When you reload da oozee neinmillimeetah the player character thumbs the eject button and the magazine SPROINGS out of the weapon with enough force to clock a dude upside the head.

The best variation are ones where the reload itself is an attack, Battleborn had one of it's characters launch empty clips like a grenade, and Borderlands has an entire gun manufacturer with the gimmick that when you reload you just throw away the whole gun as a grenade and then you get a new gun teleported in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh no we've gone too far

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love Serious Sam but have come to dislike Painkiller, particularly on a recent replay of it. I think Painkiller has great weapons but everything else is not what I remember it being when I first played it on CD. I'm still cautiously interested in that "Witchfire" game though, which is being developed by a lot of the brains behind (at least the original) Painkiller.

Every time I replay Painkiller, I get less and less patient when it comes to unlocking cards or having my momentum completely stopped by some piece of a broken crate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ETPC posted:

oh no we've gone too far

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD

doom infinity is just a qte glory kill simulator interspersed with 60 hours of cutscenes, none of which are scored by mick gordon

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I loved Serious Sam because I paid $5 for it at Walmart and was blown away by the value.

The Talos Principle is probably one of the best games of the last decade tho.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Odd Mutant posted:

I loved Serious Sam because I paid $5 for it at Walmart and was blown away by the value.

The Talos Principle is probably one of the best games of the last decade tho.

Yeah my understanding is that if nothing else, the release of Serious Sam 4 is great because it means they’ll be closer to working on Talos Principle 2. I think preliminary work was already done but the plan is to kick development into full swing post-SS4.

Plan Z posted:

Every time I replay Painkiller, I get less and less patient when it comes to unlocking cards or having my momentum completely stopped by some piece of a broken crate.

That and (we’ve talked about it before) but MAN why does it take so long for souls to spawn on kills? You’d think it would be an instantaneous drop but I feel like there’s a good 3-4 second delay before they appear and it can completely stall the flow of a fight because they don’t stick around forever either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Painkiller is a fun game if you just instantly cheat all cards because unlocking them is just a complete gameplay grind that ruins every level.

Ideally souls would also hoover themselves into you instantly

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My personal belief is that if you're revisiting an old game and the copycats are almost universally worse then the old game probably holds up in general. Will Rock is like "what if Serious Sam but slower and worse" and Dreamkiller is just the worse, and every other huge-wave-arena-shooter other than the first Painkiller is pretty lame.

NecroVision still good, come at me.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Kins posted:

Serious Sam 4: Planet Musou.

I was thinking about what Serious Sam would have to do to be competitive in our modern digital age and I keep coming back to this.

If Doom Eternal is supposed to be a FPS/Character action game then Serious Sam could be FPS/Musou. Just go all out with the enemies and weapons that can take out dozens at a time, but you'd have to bring in the plate spinning aspect of musou as well otherwise you're just shooting things for no reason. You'd need to add timed missions and maps that aren't just big arenas so I think the average serious sam aficionado would balk at this idea but I think it would be neat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think FPS Musou is a good idea because it obviates why FPS score attack doesnt work well, while providing a reason for low difficulty foes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, what's the deal with the plate spinning? Are there systems to make mowing down enemies that present zero threat interesting?

More Quake & Quake 2 mission pack thoughts from me on my first time through them: The Reckoning really does not put its best foot forwards, starting with a maze of sewer levels that are every bad stereotype combined, including a fan that tries to suck you deeper into the water to drown you. Sewers were already a really worn out trope by 1998, there's no excuse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, what's the deal with the plate spinning? Are there systems to make mowing down enemies that present zero threat interesting?

Typically theyre more about time management, requiring map traversal and base capture with the chaff acting as friction slowing you from accomplishing your goals rather than a direct impediment. Mixed in will be tougher foes or even boss difficulty enemies who may be objectives themselves or leading counterattacks against positions you need to defend, and the game becomes managing and optimizing your route and improvising

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

My personal belief is that if you're revisiting an old game and the copycats are almost universally worse then the old game probably holds up in general. Will Rock is like "what if Serious Sam but slower and worse" and Dreamkiller is just the worse, and every other huge-wave-arena-shooter other than the first Painkiller is pretty lame.

NecroVision still good, come at me.

I tried to replay NecroVision back in December and I just couldn't. Nothing on it aged well and I rather fire Painkiller than that.

Wondering if it's possible to mod Painkiller to get all cards from the start and souls drop instantly because I'd replay the game right now with these two things.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, the character art in Daikatana is so sub par

And it isn't because it has to be low poly like every other game of that time. Compare with the released-two-years-before Half Life. The problem is the art style used, it was a poor fit for that technology.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's very much a 'the polygons haven't caught up to the textures' issue, it seems like

Yeah, you can do a lot better with less polygons and less textures if you have good art direction. Just look at Interstate '76 (1997):

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Nition posted:

Yeah, you can do a lot better with less polygons and less textures if you have good art direction. Just look at Interstate '76 (1997):

Interstate 76 oozed style in pretty much every regard. I loved that loving game. I should go back and replay it sometime but I fear that it might not hold up so well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first hurdle is getting the game to run

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's a pretty good car simulator, if you approach it as a simulator. It's utterly awful to run though, because the MW2 engine was a mess and barely ran correctly on the systems at the time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

might be easier to emulate it on the ps1 i think?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It and it's direct sequel are Windows only, the spin off vaguely related Vigilante 8 games are way more arcadey.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nition posted:

If you told me that was from a 2021 game, I'd believe you.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
The GOG version worked me on Windows 10, as I recall. Maybe I've hosed around with some OpenGL DLL-s, I don't know. But it did not save my progress for some reason, so maybe it needs to be run as admin or something.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dissolution: Remastered is a 4 map remaster of a 2002 wad, and it looks great, one of those wads that show off GZDoom. It has a heavy Quake influence
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68588#p1151470

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone tried the Halo 2 Remaster thing in gamepass?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I'm about halfway through the campaign. The sounds are good, it looks good. The muzzle flash on some of the weapons is a little aggressive, and the game can really hitch when it autosaves. Otherwise, it runs great and controls great.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Jim DiGriz posted:

The GOG version worked me on Windows 10, as I recall. Maybe I've hosed around with some OpenGL DLL-s, I don't know. But it did not save my progress for some reason, so maybe it needs to be run as admin or something.

It doesn't work well out of the box usually (and GOG only lists it supporting up to Vista). The biggest problem is the vehicle physics hate fast CPUs, and the wheels go a bit crazy.

There's a user-made custom launcher that fixes everything though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gotta say been thinking about a FPS Musou game and someone’s gotta make Devil Daggers with level design, cmon it doesn’t even have to be much.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I haven't touched the campaign yet, but have been dipping into the multiplayer. I never realized how pivotal Halo 2 was to console-style FPS. It's cool that there's actually two Halo 2 multiplayer queues, one for classic and one for remastered. I've just been queuing for both but mostly ending up in remastered matches. It's still fun, and the remastered art style seems fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 2 is also super important for online, because it introduced the concept of trueskill to consoles and the idea to a lot of people that online multiplayer should be balanced by the game, not random chance/server skill level

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I finished System Shock 2 and it's still a good-rear end game. Things got dicey in the Body of the Many when my resources were drying up until I opened my inventory and realized I'd been carrying around a grenade launcher and like 40+ rounds of each type for several decks and forgot to use it. Turns out disruption grenades do a number on psychic abominations. It was also really surprising and refreshing to play a Shock game with no clumsy moral choices. Does System Shock 1 still do ghosts? The ghosts never felt like they fit the settings of System or Bioshock.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
CoD: Big Red One's war footage is from Military Channel and is presented as such. Post 9/11 was wild.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
SS1 has no ghosts. It also has no psychic powers, to our great lament.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the topic of Halo 2 in MCC: An important hotfix has just been released to fix a serious issue that popped up in Halo 2 Classic Multiplayer where projectiles like rockets and grenades had a nasty tendency to teleport around, waste your teammates and get you kicked from the match for excessive teamkilling. Apparently this bug was introduced after the public test flight by an innocuous interpolation fix. Games are weird.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Gotta say been thinking about a FPS Musou game and someone’s gotta make Devil Daggers with level design, cmon it doesn’t even have to be much.

Isn't this just Doom with Oblige set to maximum enemy numbers?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

On the topic of Halo 2 in MCC: An important hotfix has just been released to fix a serious issue that popped up in Halo 2 Classic Multiplayer where projectiles like rockets and grenades had a nasty tendency to teleport around, waste your teammates and get you kicked from the match for excessive teamkilling. Apparently this bug was introduced after the public test flight by an innocuous interpolation fix. Games are weird.

In a way I feel bad for 343 because Halo 2 was apparently such a goddamn mess of a development and it's coding an absolute horror show. So porting that to PC and fixing the bugs that pop up must be a nightmare.

On the other hand, goddamn this is why multiple flights or beta tests would have been so important??? Instead they had just one?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
They. Still. Haven't. Fixed. Reach's. AUDIO!!!! :argh: :rant: :argh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

I have tried very, very hard to give Daikatana a fair play many times over the last twenty years but I can never get past that first level. It's that bad. And as the years go on the game just ages even worse

It's a shame because some of the enemy design looks rad as hell and the game as a cool Quake II-era look retro-future look to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Szymanski's a goddamn troll. Why yes, this game with fan fixes and turning off the biggest advertised feature that it's directly balanced around still plays like a worse version of Strife and is totally worth your time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wait, are you telling me I can leave without my buddy Superfly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Project Warlock isn't an all-time great like Dusk, but I enjoyed playing through it.