Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

To put it bluntly, it would have been possible if I'd composed both versions from the outset, but I didn't do that, and converting non-MIDI tracks to MIDI is... an inexact science that generally leads to really janky-sounding results unless you painstakingly do it by hand. I might do a pack that's specifically MIDI music in the future (or one that's available both ways a la the SIGIL soundtrack) if I can wrap my head around Sekaiju, but for now, these three have gotta remain in recorded-music form.

Ah yeah, I figured it might be too late/difficult to do now. Still a very cool project and hopefully it gets used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

This is cool as hell. I should replay Death Wish with this...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh wow! Going to try this out now!

edit: this is loving great :supaburn:

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 24, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Downloaded the old school Counter-Strike because I never really got a chance to play it in its heyday. God drat do I suck at this game. The best I can do is lay down suppressing fire while we advance. When it's time to round a corner and get into a proper shootout, I'm instantly doomed. How did people git gud at this back in the day?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Downloaded the old school Counter-Strike because I never really got a chance to play it in its heyday. God drat do I suck at this game. The best I can do is lay down suppressing fire while we advance. When it's time to round a corner and get into a proper shootout, I'm instantly doomed. How did people git gud at this back in the day?

My memory as a teenager was that everyone was tweaked out on surge and adderall.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

The one thing I remember about classic CS, which I was never "good" at but got to a point where I was decent at it, is that the most common early newbie mistake is to just spray and pray. You will hit absolutely nothing because the recoil patterns spread out a lot very fast. You really want to just treat everything as a single shot weapon and tap out short bursts. It's amazing how much more effective you'll get once you get the firing rhythm down.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Animal-Mother posted:

A big part was that everyone else was just as bad instead of it being mostly 35 year olds who have been playing since the mod released.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Was CS the game where the bullet spread patterns are predetermined and people obsessed over it enough to memorize them and learn to compensate for it perfectly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Was CS the game where the bullet spread patterns are predetermined and people obsessed over it enough to memorize them and learn to compensate for it perfectly?

Yes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dip Viscous posted:

It's actually quite noticeable after you've heard about it.

Now these parachutes with anime titties on them, I don't recall hearing about that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Steam’s spring cleaning guilt shamed me into replaying EYE. Someone posted tips in here a while ago on how to not have a bad time.

Last time I played I recalled wandering the hub area library place for like an hour crawling at the speed of a turtle. Then I got into the first real mission and was instantly hacked by something before dying to some goon by a trash fire. It was a wild 2 hours but I’ve been hiding from it ever since.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CS is the most fun when you dont try to be good at all and just practice the bizzare esoteric 1999 shooting mechanics as like a weird zen thing

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Animal-Mother posted:

Memorize the recoil patterns and practice against a wall. Don't duck during a firefight just strafe like a lunatic. When you strafe there's a split second when changing directions that your aim isn't horrible if you can figure it out. Turn off the dynamic crosshair once you get used to the spread. Watch YouTube videos for good smoke and flash spots. Play on gun game servers a lot.

I'm still terrible at this video game like 2 decades later so this could all be horrible advice.

E: I forgot: corner peek a lot, always have your crosshair at head level rounding corners, use the radar it is your friend

caleb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 25, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

al-azad posted:

Steam’s spring cleaning guilt shamed me into replaying EYE. Someone posted tips in here a while ago on how to not have a bad time.

Last time I played I recalled wandering the hub area library place for like an hour crawling at the speed of a turtle. Then I got into the first real mission and was instantly hacked by something before dying to some goon by a trash fire. It was a wild 2 hours but I’ve been hiding from it ever since.

Change to light armor if you want to go fast. eventually upgrade your cyber legs too, but armor weight makes the most difference to movement speed early on.

Also maintenance (V by default) fixes hacking

Don’t forget to research the medkit first

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
EYE deserves props for letting you walk into the first mission in heavy armour, a minigun, and enough ammo to flatten a city. I don't know of any other games that let you do that, starting with the biggest & baddest stuff with no qualifiers.

The rest of the game... eeh. Alas.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

skasion posted:

Change to light armor if you want to go fast. eventually upgrade your cyber legs too, but armor weight makes the most difference to movement speed early on.

Also maintenance (V by default) fixes hacking

Don’t forget to research the medkit first

maintenance (V by default) also fixes broken legs, and restores sanity.
Oh yeah, you can go insane in EYE. And the medkit in EYE can KILL things. Also there is a dedicated key that spawns CLONES of yourself in game.
And people who have done the single player campaign endings in EYE will have unique Psi powers that a starting EYE player won't have access to.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Serephina posted:

EYE deserves props for letting you walk into the first mission in heavy armour, a minigun, and enough ammo to flatten a city. I don't know of any other games that let you do that, starting with the biggest & baddest stuff with no qualifiers.

The rest of the game... eeh. Alas.
haha croon go brr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtJh_B4jDrY

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I love that the HS10 has two fire modes, "full auto" and "fuller auto."

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Sestze posted:

haha croon go brr

this is killing me. guess i gotta just install it, not even sure how this one got into my steam acct

al-azad
May 28, 2009

uhhhh well Blue Shift was a fun two hours but what a wet fart of an end. "Uh oh Calhoun you might be trapped in a super cool infinite portal loop that could make for a sweet final set piece where you're randomly teleporting through multiple giant firefights between Earth and Xen simultaneou-- oh wait you're fine."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1264790471936794624

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Warning, Nerd Slayer has entered the facility!

Warning, Nerd Slayer threat at maximum.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

The game's just weird like that. It's such a surreal setting that once it clicks you can't help but eventually get lost in it and just take in the atmosphere while shooting doods and gaining brouzoufs. Many, many brouzoufs.

Tangentially related, I've been co-oping Shadow Warrior 2 and while I liked the traditional style of the remake well enough the sequel does kinda lend itself well to the looter-shooter genre. I miss having the actually designed levels in favor of more disjointed ones though. Messing around with weapons - and there are a surprising number of them - and watching numbers go up is still fun.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

losing my poo poo at this

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

Link to post? I ragequit EYE because I just couldn't figure it out. I might be interested in trying again if with some help.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Grimthwacker posted:

The game's just weird like that. It's such a surreal setting that once it clicks you can't help but eventually get lost in it and just take in the atmosphere while shooting doods and gaining brouzoufs. Many, many brouzoufs.

Tangentially related, I've been co-oping Shadow Warrior 2 and while I liked the traditional style of the remake well enough the sequel does kinda lend itself well to the looter-shooter genre. I miss having the actually designed levels in favor of more disjointed ones though. Messing around with weapons - and there are a surprising number of them - and watching numbers go up is still fun.

I think with all of the patches there are like 75 weapons in total. It’s berserk.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Under the janky and intentionally obscure exterior EYE is a game with incredible integrity to its design where you can beat it on a new file without grinding with infinite instantly respawning ultra aggressive enemies that kill you in a single headshot.

I might have written that advice post but I don't have plat anymore so you'd have the misfortune of digging through my post history yourself to find it.
The brief summary is pick all metastreum at char gen and just reroll for a while til you have bunch of high scores, particularly in aim. Research medkit and buy cloak ASAP and focus your skillpoints on fulfilling the prereqs on the 444 Bear Killer.

e; oh google for the mod that removes the fish eye effect from scopes i always forget the game has weird fisheye on scopes by default

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 25, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I have a pointless nitpick for Black Mesa. When you put on the HEV suit for the first time it says "Hazardous Environment Vehicle"

That's not :psyduck: That's not what HEV loving stands for! It's Hazardous Environment suit. Why the gently caress would the V stand for vehicle?? All it took, for the decade + of development of the game, was for someone to look at the god drat wiki to make sure they knew what HEV stood for. I'm absolutely livid about this. I'm blowing my top. I now know why Manderly was so mad at JC for not assassinating Lebedev in Deus Ex.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Disposable Scud posted:

Is Area 51 2007 worth a look?

Speaking of this era, was Soldier of Fortune: Payback any good? I remember enjoying the first two a to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this era, was Soldier of Fortune: Payback any good? I remember enjoying the first two a to.
I haven't played it, but apparently it was developed as an unrelated budget title (Raven wasn't involved in any way), except Activision slapped the SoF name on and kicked up the price to full retail on a hunch. This went down about as well as expected.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Neo Rasa posted:

It's loving awful and the PC version is utterly broken. The first boss in the game has far more HP than he's supposed to in the PC version so you're going to sit there and shoot him for literally 20-30 minutes before he finally dies.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Neo Rasa posted:

I usually like to give all games a chance but pretend that this one doesn't exist and the series ended at 2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Grimthwacker posted:

i will still hold that shadow warrior 2 does that sort of thing really well as long as you just don't give a poo poo about what gem things you slot into a weapon other than 'big numbers' and 'cover every element', because it has very crunchy gameplay and a lot of toys to play with

shame about like. the rest of it, though.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a weird title. It is not good. But it is entertaining. It wasn't full retail; it was put out by "activision budget" and was about $40 new. The bosses are just characters with a ton of extra health that you have to shoot until they die. The best strategy is to just use the knife melee over and over, they can't shoot while stunned and doing the animation, although there are a couple bosses it doesn't work on. Main character has a different name, Thomas Mason, instead of John Mullins. If you start a level with a tricked out weapon, you'll probably use up its ammo and have to drop it for one you find on the ground.
I've beaten it like, 4 times or something, and played some of the individual missions countless times. To me, it approaches the so-bad-it's-good level, like a bad action flick.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I have a pointless nitpick for Black Mesa. When you put on the HEV suit for the first time it says "Hazardous Environment Vehicle"

That's not :psyduck: That's not what HEV loving stands for! It's Hazardous Environment suit. Why the gently caress would the V stand for vehicle?? All it took, for the decade + of development of the game, was for someone to look at the god drat wiki to make sure they knew what HEV stood for. I'm absolutely livid about this. I'm blowing my top. I now know why Manderly was so mad at JC for not assassinating Lebedev in Deus Ex.

Unforgivable, honestly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Our bodies are vehicles for our brains, and our brains for our intellect, when you think about it. What is a pair of pants, if not a vessel of denim that your legs pilot?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Our bodies are vehicles for our brains, and our brains for our intellect, when you think about it. What is a pair of pants, if not a vessel of denim that your legs pilot?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pants are the vessel for my twigs and berries, which are used to bring joy to the world and reproduce!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shapely old bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm continuing with my Halo 2 play-through.

Halo would be pretty good FPS. They have good AI, dynamic firefights, a decent amount of different enemies, cool alien weapons, a varied campaign that goes from lone wolf, to fighting with allies, from linear levels to bigger levels with vehicles... they only need to increase the move speed by 20% at least, increase the weapon limit to at least 4, and change the shield system to something that makes the game less boring.