Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

known turtle pokemon: blastoise, torterra, lapras, cloyster, escavalier

Minior is a space turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scratch-O posted:

Is it enough to move a Pokemon from Bank to an AS box to log it in the Pokedex, or do I have to move it to my team as well?

You just need to move it to a box and start up the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Calaveron posted:

Wow Ash's Greninja's moveset is insanely bad. Is cut that destructo disc thing he fires off in the preview?

Cut is the energy kunai it summons.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Zore posted:

You just need to move it to a box and start up the game.

Okay, that's good. Another question: is there any rhyme or reason to this balloon-popping minigame on Global Link? It seems to award points randomly, and I can't tell if your final rank actually corresponds to what you get. I'm so tired of it and really just want to get a Dubious Disc.

E: I am drowning in hondew berries, someone please help

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Wow Ash's Greninja's moveset is insanely bad. Is cut that destructo disc thing he fires off in the preview?

anime moves don't exactly adhere strictly to the game rules and stats. I mean, I'd expect that'd be rather boring.

But yeah, that was Water Shuriken. His version of cut was originally a glowing blade formed from his hand, but after mastering his transformation they took the form of glowing kunai.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm glad that heatmor's one and only friend has finally showed up to the party

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

oddium posted:

yeah for sure i want to count lapras as a turtle, and also pikachu as a bird

Don't spoiler Gen 4 remake's Sinnoh Raichu

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I'm glad that heatmor's one and only friend has finally showed up to the party

Please don't make fun of them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

Yeah, you can get a Pikachu with Fly in HGSS with the Poké Walker

i have those things. how do i spoof the wifi

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goodbye

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Note: Torkoal died on the way back to his home planet.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

Okay, that's good. Another question: is there any rhyme or reason to this balloon-popping minigame on Global Link? It seems to award points randomly, and I can't tell if your final rank actually corresponds to what you get. I'm so tired of it and really just want to get a Dubious Disc.

E: I am drowning in hondew berries, someone please help

If you have bank, then you must've made enough BP to just buy a disc from the Maison.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a Pikachu with Fly, Dig, Surf, and Ice Beam

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new Pokemon reminds me of the turtle boss from Mega Man X6.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Calaveron posted:

Anime movesets usually suck, but Greninja's really stands out as abysmal by game standards. It was chosen specifically because it is very ninja-themed moreso than anything else so they power up those weak moves to ridiculous degrees. It's not too different than normal though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cut is basically an OP lightsaber in the anime and water shuriken kills everything. Double team makes almost hundreds of illusory doubles, and aerial ace is a sick face kicking combo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly if they stuck rigidly to the games as far as moves went, it'd be pretty dull.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly if they stuck rigidly to the games as far as moves went, it'd be pretty dull.

weird, this is the 100th episode in a row where an opponent used stealth rock and pikachu still ran into them

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that turtle.

I think Cut had something to do with swords in Gen I, that's why you get it from the Captain cos he's a sword master or something.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Has Ash ever given Pikachu a light ball? Are items really a thing in the anime?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Geostomp posted:

Anime movesets usually suck, but Greninja's really stands out as abysmal by game standards. It was chosen specifically because it is very ninja-themed moreso than anything else so they power up those weak moves to ridiculous degrees. It's not too different than normal though.

I absolutely hate that they created a ninja frog and made it a better special attacker than physical attacker. I want a Greninja that fights like the ones in Super Smash Bros or the anime. Hopefully Sun and Moon will introduce some new options for physical Greninja.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nobody said they had to rigidly conform to the games. I actually like the fact that they don't have to do so, but you can't tell me that they couldn't try a little harder to stay closer to the source rather than randomly power moves/Pokemon up or down based on their whims.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hexmage-SA posted:

Hopefully Sun and Moon will introduce some new options for physical Greninja.

oras did that and he threw trash cans at clefable, kicked chansey in the mouth and got himself banned

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I just got Pokemon X and a 3DS, after having not played a pokemon game since Gold/Silver, is there anything I should know before I start? Not looking to min/max the game obviously but is there anything where you either don't get very many of an item so I should save it or you get tons of them so just use them whenever? Don't know what starter I'll use or what pokemon are even available (just gen 6? Gen 1-6? I honestly don't know/care) but'll figure that out on my own eventually.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Good Dog posted:

I just got Pokemon X and a 3DS, after having not played a pokemon game since Gold/Silver, is there anything I should know before I start? Not looking to min/max the game obviously but is there anything where you either don't get very many of an item so I should save it or you get tons of them so just use them whenever? Don't know what starter I'll use or what pokemon are even available (just gen 6? Gen 1-6? I honestly don't know/care) but'll figure that out on my own eventually.

xy is super generous with the amount of different pokemon available to you(3 seperate pokedexes with 150 pokemon each)

the only real important advice is that the exp share makes it super easy to outlevel and remove any real challenge from the game; if you don't want that happening either have it turned off or do what some people do and use more than six pokemon regularly

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hey I am a super casual playing on Pokémon x. I want a machamp but I don't have anyone to trade with. Is there a way to get one? Is it worth it to connect your ds to the Internet? Can you trade that way? I'm using my friends, never had one before.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Good Dog posted:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Good Dog posted:

Nah, don't sweat it. I mean don't waste your Master Ball but seriously, it's a literal kids' game, don't even worry. Just have fun. LOTS of pokemon are available. Lots and lots and lots. Oh - you get to pick your starter, and then shortly after you get to pick a Kanto starter (Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander) so maybe plan a little based on that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But why not Nightslash instead of the dullest shittiest gen 1 hidden machine move
Water Shuriken is actually a really mediocre move right? Low power and Greninja is fast enough he'd never need a priority move right?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't know a single person I could trade with, so filling my Pokedex in Pokemon Red is literally impossible, but it feels bad moving on to another game without having done so.

On the other hand, ORAS looks pretty sweet and I could probably use a more contemporary Pokemon experience after all that time in Red.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fritzler posted:

Has Ash ever given Pikachu a light ball? Are items really a thing in the anime?

sometimes they'll wear stuff and it's very cute

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

GlitchThief posted:

I don't know a single person I could trade with, so filling my Pokedex in Pokemon Red is literally impossible

actually it's so possible that you can catch pokemon that don't even exist

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

sometimes they'll wear stuff and it's very cute

Yeah the big imposing Mega Evos in the anime wear their Mega Stones as accessories like a scarf or an armband and it's totes adorbs

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Nobody said they had to rigidly conform to the games. I actually like the fact that they don't have to do so, but you can't tell me that they couldn't try a little harder to stay closer to the source rather than randomly power moves/Pokemon up or down based on their whims.

Power up or down from what though? As far as the anime cares the game doesn't exist. Just like as far as the trading card game is concerned neither the anime nor the games exist--they all do their own thing.

I don't understand the move complaints especially in light of pikachu, who should be like level 100 if this were game rules, regularly getting jobbed by what should be fresh-caught level 5 pokemon. There are no move powers or levels in the anime. It's closer to a "real" setting than an "RPG" setting, where there are no "stats" and instead the pokemon are closer to real world athletes where they can get stronger, smarter and faster but are inherently blessed or limited at birth. I don't like or watch the anime and even I can understand that because it's been super obvious since forever.

In tabletop terms if the games are DnD then the anime is something closer to FATE.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 18, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

oddium posted:

actually it's so possible that you can catch pokemon that don't even exist

bwuuuuh?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Decus posted:

I don't like or watch the anime

Then don't write several long paragraphs (that are largely inaccurate and outdated) about it maybe?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

It's all about the end result as far as I'm concerned. I mean, LASER KUNAI.

And honestly it'd be rather disappointing if you had a ninja frog and couldn't use its signature move to good effect.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

less laughter posted:

Then don't write several long paragraphs (that are largely inaccurate and outdated) about it maybe?

Naw.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can anyone send me some ekanses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Super No Vacancy posted:

can anyone send me some ekanses

the plural of Ekans is Sekans