Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dude notices some issues with his Pilot Road 3 rear tires after 10000 miles despite 9999 miles on his bike's odometer (according to people on other forums, it's not a trip), then continues to ride on them, crashing a page later AFTER contacting Michelin, claiming the front blew out at 35 mph.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Endless Mike posted:

Dude notices some issues with his Pilot Road 3 rear tires after 10000 miles despite 9999 miles on his bike's odometer (according to people on other forums, it's not a trip), then continues to ride on them, crashing a page later AFTER contacting Michelin, claiming the front blew out at 35 mph.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html
I saw that thread, dude's full of poo poo. No way he was running that tire with proper air pressure. If he had a legitimate issue Michelin would have NEVER told him that it isn't their problem. They had a huge recall a few years back for all Made in France Power's and Power 2CT's, so they are usually extremely receptive when hearing stuff like what that guy said if it has the potential to be an actual issue.

Also, there's no way that tire has 10,000 miles on it just based on how much tread is left. I also like how his odometer shows exactly 9,999 miles. He got Pilot Road 3's brand new on a 2006 bike? Trip meters don't display 6 digits like that.

Just another rear end in a top hat trying to get rich by making a fuss about a nonexistent problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm reserving judgement until he posts a proper picture of the "blown out front".

Something weird is up with that tire though. Underinflation can gently caress up a tire, but that's not tearing, that's not consistent, I'd be inclined to say it's a manufacturing defect and he just wasn't forward enough with michelin about it. "Hey guys, I have a problem with my tire" is poo poo they hear every day from idiots who don't know how to ride. Any dealership worth their poo poo should definitely have been on that like crazy.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 2, 2011

Napkins
Apr 9, 2009
I really need to check my email more often-- had a chance to ride on the back of the National Guard AMA bike at Mid-Ohio on July 10th but I wasn't one of the first three people to reply to the email that was sent out :smith:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A guy posted that PR3 article on our local riding wall on facebook and I wanted to call it out for being kinda fishy but figured it'd be a dick move. He listed the title as "STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM PR3's GUYS!!!!". I mean, I don't think one incident merits completely shunning the tires. The only other bad I've heard is that they aren't as good in the wet as Michelin claimed.

The guy seemed way too forward with his "I'm SO anal about my pressures, I promise!" I also think at one point the guy claims that he's so careful because he had an accident with tire pressures over 120mph or something equally dumb.

I don't know if I buy for a second that the tires were totally at fault there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

From page 15 of that thread:

Holy hell.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll let them "win" for now on. Riding in the 120's was a thrill but it was a pretty big reminder that I don't want to get killed on my bike. :unsmith:

Just because you're on a bike doesn't mean you have the exclusive right of being the fastest guy on the highway. I commute to the airport down the M4, and if I don't feel like doing 85+ I stay the hell out of the fast lane, because otherwise I'd have all sorts of minicab minivans up my arse in a hurry to get people to/pick people up from the airport, not to mention all the regional sales managers in their German saloons. Riding someone's rear end is annoying and dangerous, but it all it really means is "I want to go faster than you, move it please" only not so polite. So unless you want to go fast, which lets face it sometimes you do, just move over when it's clear to let the guy past. Only if he wants to play silly-billies and follow you when you move, or block you in, should you get the gently caress out of there. Keep in mind though, if he wants to do 100 and you escape at 120, you aren't really going to be that far up the road once you have to slow down.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Linedance posted:

Keep in mind though, if he wants to do 100 and you escape at 120, you aren't really going to be that far up the road once you have to slow down.

You are correct/ I need to take my own advice. Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.

I took it real easy on the ride home but I still got a scare when I saw a 18 foot long 1" diameter pipe in my lane. :wth: It was parallel to the road and not across it. It just sort of popped into view when the car in front of me passed it. I just dodged to the right but I think I missed it by only a couple of inches because I just couldn't take my drat eyes off it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hit it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I'm not sure what would have happened if I hit it.

A perfectly cylindrical motorcycle rider would emerge at the other end, Tom & Jerry style.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ola posted:

A perfectly cylindrical motorcycle rider would emerge at the other end, Tom & Jerry style.

When I was about 10, my dad took me out on a ride on his new XS650 on a curvy road, some kids in a convertible in the outside lane took the inside lane in front of us, leaving us nowhere to go but a field. We went down and I tucked and rolled in a ball, just like gym class gymnastics on those floor mats , for 30 or 40 feet. I'm sure it look like something from a cartoon.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I thought ai was the furthest away from nerd stuff yet I can't stop imagining super mario sound effects because of the last two posts.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Holy hell.

Its unfortunate that he wrecked, but this shot is pretty funny with the helmet in the back of the car like he's peeking out immediately after.

e; poo poo apparently that IS him still wearing the helmet.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 2, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sirbeefalot posted:

:psyduck:

Well, at least I won't be getting in any accidents right now:

That's a river where the bike path used to be... And I was gonna spend all evening fiddling with my bike and go for a long-rear end ride :(

EDIT: Other parts of Copenhagen were hit even worse, a measured 150mm in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COitSnE43LQ

Not exactly bike weather :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 2, 2011

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Ola posted:

Holy hell.

excuse my ignorance as I have never had a tire blow out on me but there has to be more to the story he isn't telling us. Does anyone else think its strange he crashed so hard? Look at the tire to me it looks like the tire just shredded apart and I would think he would have some space to brake, at the very least not ram into his wife so hard as to end up THROUGH the window and fully into the back.

or am I completely wrong and that is a perfectly reasonable crash for a blown tire like this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaucyPants posted:

excuse my ignorance as I have never had a tire blow out on me but there has to be more to the story he isn't telling us. Does anyone else think its strange he crashed so hard? Look at the tire to me it looks like the tire just shredded apart and I would think he would have some space to brake, at the very least not ram into his wife so hard as to end up THROUGH the window and fully into the back.

or am I completely wrong and that is a perfectly reasonable crash for a blown tire like this?

That's not his tire...its a similar michelin blowout. Looks like the bike made it back upright though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, that's not a Pure, it's either a Power or a Power 2CT. Almost surely:

-Inu- posted:

a huge recall a few years back for all Made in France Power's and Power 2CT's

I will admit that it wouldn't be the first time Michelin has had issues with tires chunking like that. Aside from the Power fiasco, a friend of mine has had a Power Race chunk on him down at Jennings. Not really something you want to happen on the race track. I still think that guy is withholding information though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Haha, I don't know if that adds or detracts from the tragedy turned into comedy, but it is really funny.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I think my brain just imploded from the irony:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ss=rss_national

KozmoNaut posted:

:psyduck:

Well, at least I won't be getting in any accidents right now:

That's a river where the bike path used to be... And I was gonna spend all evening fiddling with my bike and go for a long-rear end ride :(

EDIT: Other parts of Copenhagen were hit even worse, a measured 150mm in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COitSnE43LQ

Not exactly bike weather :(
It drat well better improve because I'm going to København this week!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I said "gently caress it" and straightened out my front forks on Friday afternoon. The fender's still a wee bent out of shape, but it's back to being ridable and that makes me happy :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Forty Two posted:

It drat well better improve because I'm going to København this week!

What's the occasion, will you be on a bike?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New York biker dies while protesting helmet laws.

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110703/ap_on_re_us/us_motorcyclist_dies_helmet_protest

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
The comments in that article :psyduck:

HE LOST HIS LIFE NOT HIS FREEDOM!

Doctor Sex Butts fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 3, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Troopers say Contos hit his brakeslocked up the rear brake and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

FTFY, post.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Slim Pickens posted:

FTFY, post.

HAD TO LAY ER DOWN

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What blows my mind is that we have mandatory sealt belt laws in all 50 states. Why do motorcyclists think they are special and should be free from safety laws?

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
Because, FREEDOM OF CHOICE :911:

*fishtails Harley, dies, jacks up insurance rates for everyone*

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

What's the occasion, will you be on a bike?

Unforunately not, I'm just heading through Kastrup on my way to glorious communist Sweden. I was thinking about taking the bike next time though!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Forty Two posted:

Unforunately not, I'm just heading through Kastrup on my way to glorious communist Sweden. I was thinking about taking the bike next time though!

Be sure to drop a note if you take the bike next time :)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

This is pretty drat awesome. Keep on riding, Vince.

http://bakersfieldharley-davidson.createsend2.com/t/ViewEmail/r/91ED7FF23CF347D1/E16E7DB8F31470D4C5EC08CADFFC107B

quote:

Join us to celebrate local hero, Vincent J. Anslinger's 93rd birthday, this Sunday, July 3rd starting at 11:30.

Vince is a great guy and a Harley-Davidson legend to the core. He purchased his brand new 1941 74 cubic inch flathead in April of '41. It was one of the last civilian models made before military production began.

The bike itself just celebrated it's 70th birthday of its own. The bike and Vince are still going strong. In fact, not only does Vince still own this bike, he kick starts and rides it to this day.

Vince served honorably in our military for eight years and served as a Supply Sergeant with the Quartermaster at Minter Airfield in 1942 and retired from the miltiary in 1945.

So please join us for this very special celebration to see Vince, his bike and a copy of the original 1941 loan document.

There will be cake, ice cream and more. Come watch in amazement as Vince attempts to jump the entire Bakersfield Harley-Davidson facility. (ok that last part was a joke)

The fun starts around 11:30. See you here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Slim Pickens posted:

FTFY, post.

So using your rear brakes also throws you over your handlebars? How are you supposed to stop, then?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Luckily they don't get going that fast in the first place.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

So using your rear brakes also throws you over your handlebars? How are you supposed to stop, then?

LAYER DAN

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Be sure to drop a note if you take the bike next time :)

Thanks, I will! I hope your English or Swedish is good, because my Danish is loving awful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Forty Two posted:

Thanks, I will! I hope your English or Swedish is good, because my Danish is loving awful.

I have a couple of Swedish colleagues and have weekly conference calls in English with the Indians we've outsourced a bunch of stuff to. I'll manage ;)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Danish head bobble.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Megabuttes posted:

Because, FREEDOM OF CHOICE :911:

*fishtails Harley, dies, jacks up insurance rates for everyone*

Equally laughable is how ABATE immediately went into full damage control mode to distance themselves from the rider by claiming:

- He wasn't a card carrying member of the organization--"Contos wasn't a member of ABATE...he was one of the public who wanted to join in support of helmet freedom." As if membership would have magically produced a different outcome.

- This wasn't his primary ride. "An officer of my group said there may have been equipment difficulties for the rider...apparently he was riding a motorcycle that wasn't his usual one. Some vehicles have different quirks."

Honestly, is there a bigger network of douchebags in the entire history of motorcycling?

If you've never experienced this particular freedom, let me sum it up for you. It's actually quite lovely up until about 30 mph. Beyond that, the descent into SUCK is exponential. With the possible exceptions of a shakedown ride down your street and a closed movie set, it has near zero practical utility.

It's as if the NRA began fighting for your constitutional right to use a side grip at a gun range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I had to ride without gloves for about 60 miles yesterday, copping rocks to my hands sucked :(

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\ That's the thing I don't get. I've had some rocks ding my helmet that would have easily disoriented me enough if not flat out knocked me off the loving bike, that's to say nothing of the countless bugs that splatter on your visor in the summer time.

Marv Hushman posted:

If you've never experienced this particular freedom, let me sum it up for you. It's actually quite lovely up until about 30 mph. Beyond that, the descent into SUCK is exponential. With the possible exceptions of a shakedown ride down your street and a closed movie set, it has near zero practical utility.

I mean, I do a lot of squid riding on my cruiser these days (it's been a while since I've worn my leathers). But even my sense of preservation kicks in at the idea of riding anywhere outside of a parking lot without a helmet.

And honestly, if you aren't getting enough 'freedom' from motorcycling in jeans and a tshirt with a full-face on you're most likely after an image rather then enjoying the actual ride.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

What blows my mind is that we have mandatory sealt belt laws in all 50 states. Why do motorcyclists think they are special and should be free from safety laws?

because ain't NOBODY gonna tell me what to do, specially not no government *checks speed limit, slows down for red light*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I had a rock shatter the shield on my Shoei X11; no damage to me other than the $35 for a new shield. I'll gladly pay $35 to not take a major league fastball to the face with no protection.
I wonder if the no helmet people consider MLB catchers pussies?