Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

randyest posted:

Here's how it's done in the US -- check and see if you have that option.

Nope. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
How come all of a sudden when I click somewhere in firefox there's a blinking cursor (a vertical line)? It fucks up when I'm trying to read the forums using page up/page down and just the arrow keys. I know there's a simple fix for this.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thehandtruck posted:

How come all of a sudden when I click somewhere in firefox there's a blinking cursor (a vertical line)? It fucks up when I'm trying to read the forums using page up/page down and just the arrow keys. I know there's a simple fix for this.

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla/topics/firefox_there_is_a_cursor_on_each_web_page_that_ruins_scrolling_any_help

or

http://beyondteck.blogspot.com/2006/05/firefox-blinking-cursor-problem.html

Also, Chrome rules :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I told him I was pretty sure he was loving with me and that it had to be a cuss word in his native tongue.

You assumed that or you were just cracking a joke with him?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Thanks a bunch!

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

kimbo305 posted:

You assumed that or you were just cracking a joke with him?

I was joking around with him - I was with a group of 5 people at 2AM on a Saturday and he was kind of joking with us the whole time. When I asked him his name he said it while sort of grinning and kept repeating it/laughing when I said it out loud, so I assumed something was up. Pretty sure he just wanted me to keep saying some word that I didn't know I was saying.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What's the correct term for the wooden sticks in this picture?

http://www.citypictures.org/r-europe-148-italy-222-venice-221-the-grand-canal-of-venice-italy-2549.htm

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What's the correct term for the wooden sticks in this picture?

http://www.citypictures.org/r-europe-148-italy-222-venice-221-the-grand-canal-of-venice-italy-2549.htm

Bollards.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Or oar (rèmo) if he means the ones in the oar locks (fórcolas) in the boats :)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Are 3D printers supposed to be able to print metal objects one day? I mean little bits that you would normally have to buy online or haul rear end to Home Depot to get. I've hypothesized (to myself) that that market of goods is going to be gone one day unless you need parts in huge bulk. Like I've been thinking that 3D printers are going to be a huge boon for DIY-type people and arts and crafts people.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dudebro posted:

Are 3D printers supposed to be able to print metal objects one day? I mean little bits that you would normally have to buy online or haul rear end to Home Depot to get. I've hypothesized (to myself) that that market of goods is going to be gone one day unless you need parts in huge bulk. Like I've been thinking that 3D printers are going to be a huge boon for DIY-type people and arts and crafts people.
It's going to take some pretty amazing advances in a lot of different technologies before it will be feasible to have a device in your home that heats metal up to a few thousand degrees and deposits it into a controlled shape.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It could probably be done easily for small bits that don't need to be especially strong; you could use metals with much lower melting points.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I think we'll see consumer CNC machines before we see some kind of metal injection molding.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dudebro posted:

It would be enough if you could just throw all the junk HDPE plastic you might otherwise throw away, into the printer 'ink' vat, and print up new household goods, wouldn't it?

Open source designs for doorknobs, and towel holders, and screw anchors, and cups, and plates, and toothbrushes, and computer stands, and etc. etc.

All printable with the HDPE raw materal from the plastic container you poured your laundry detergent from.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 4, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I want to start a wiki at a wiki host, and I need to have both page views, and page editing restricted.

Most wiki hosts seem to be able to restrict editing, but leave the page viewing public.

Is there a way to have both pages views and page editing restricted, preferably to different levels? (Meaning a large but restricted class could view it, and a subset of that class could edit it. Both requiring logins.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FCKGW posted:

You are referring to hand brakes (usually caliper brakes) and what's called coaster brakes.

The reason many kids bikes have coaster brakes is because kid's hands are not strong enough to grip the lever enough for caliper brakes to come to a complete stop, if even slow it down. Also, if you get caliper brakes wet at all they are pretty much useless. Since coaster brakes are sealed from the elements and are dead simple to use, they are better suited for kids bikes.

If he wants to do bitching skids though, he needs the coaster brake.

I use to think your explanation was true until I lived in Japan, where they have no coaster brakes even on kids bikes, and even bike shop people were pretty interested in seeing my coaster brake bike since they had never seen one before. (I shipped it over with me.)

They have hub brakes though, so they work much better than rim brakes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I still live in Japan and have never seen hub brakes on kids' bikes. Every bike I've owned here and all of the bikes at school are always rim brakes. My current bike, a relatively expensive Bridgestone that's designed to meet school specifications for safety, has rim brakes.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

Although we're probably a long way off from being able to download a car. I kind of like the idea of printers that can print its own replacement parts: http://reprap.org/wiki/WebHome

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
After a power surge knocked out another one of my hard drives, I think it's time I started backing things up online. Is dropbox still the best solution or are there better alternatives to back up 500 gigs of files?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iTrust posted:

I own a Blackberry, and as such have access to the Blackberry IM service. If I wanted to add the Pin code of someone in Canada, with me being located in the United Kingdom, would this work as a normal IM service or would it be restricted to the network differences and such, and possibly cause myself and the other person to receive additional charges?

None of the BBM stuff is explicitly stated in my contract and I'm somewhat clueless as to how it actually works correctly - part of me thinks it's similar to the likes of MSN and such and relies on the internet, but I'm not fully convinced and don't want to incur charges on my contract that I may not be able to afford.

Basically, can BBM send messages across continents without being restricted by roaming charges, etc?

Please be convinced that it is indeed similar to the likes of MSN and such and relies on the internet

spog fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 4, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dokmo posted:

After a power surge knocked out another one of my hard drives, I think it's time I started backing things up online. Is dropbox still the best solution or are there better alternatives to back up 500 gigs of files?

For that much stuff you're going to want a physical solution; anything else would be too slow. For example, I've been using Mozy for a couple years now, and the initial backup of just documents/music/etc. took probably a week.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

dokmo posted:

Do you need to back up 500 GB? Is it all irreplaceable?

If so, get another drive, back up to that, and stick it in a safe, relatively climate-controlled place. A bank box works.

If not, back up your essential stuff on a USB key and put it in a safe, relatively climate-controlled place. A bank box works.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I still live in Japan and have never seen hub brakes on kids' bikes. Every bike I've owned here and all of the bikes at school are always rim brakes. My current bike, a relatively expensive Bridgestone that's designed to meet school specifications for safety, has rim brakes.

Have you ever looked at the rear of your bike?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I was joking around with him - I was with a group of 5 people at 2AM on a Saturday and he was kind of joking with us the whole time. When I asked him his name he said it while sort of grinning and kept repeating it/laughing when I said it out loud, so I assumed something was up. Pretty sure he just wanted me to keep saying some word that I didn't know I was saying.
P. sure you're just being paranoid and he was just tickled by someone trying to pronounce his name when they don't speak the language. Or maybe you were loving it up in some way and you didn't notice because you don't speak the language, like if someone from some hypothetical non-English-speaking country kept saying "chairy" or "cherry" instead of "Jerry." Or maybe he just thought your accent in his language sounded funny. Why would he be trying to make you swear or say anything off color? It's not really that funny when you're the only person there that gets it, and most people aren't shitheads when asked for their name.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
It's my birthday in a month or so. I work too hard and save too much money for a youngster so I'm finally going to treat myself and buy a video game console! I know it's a bit :ughh: but I just need general opinion on the PS3 vs Xbox360. I've played both and I prefer the PS3 for comfort, but the Xbox360 is much cheaper here than then PS3. Pros and cons? I don't mind the price, just want to consider value for money.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

PaoFerro posted:

It's my birthday in a month or so. I work too hard and save too much money for a youngster so I'm finally going to treat myself and buy a video game console! I know it's a bit :ughh: but I just need general opinion on the PS3 vs Xbox360. I've played both and I prefer the PS3 for comfort, but the Xbox360 is much cheaper here than then PS3. Pros and cons? I don't mind the price, just want to consider value for money.

Look at the exclusives each console has, ask yourself which ones you want more. There really isn't enough difference anymore to make one a must have over the other. If the PS3 exclusives aren't enough to make you spend the extra money, go for a 360.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PaoFerro posted:

I've played both and I prefer the PS3 for comfort, but the Xbox360 is much cheaper here than then PS3. Pros and cons? I don't mind the price, just want to consider value for money.
At this point, there's really next to no notable difference. Do you have friends with one or the other? Do you really want to play Uncharted or Gears of War? Ultimately, those and which controller you prefer the feel of are probably the only real concerns beyond price. In terms of multiplatform games, some are better on the PS3, some are better on the 360, and most are basically equal on both.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, be aware that the PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player, and it's really easy to update its firmware (in fact, it often makes you). I found out how nice that was when I had to update my parents' player to watch Inception. It took about an hour, all-told.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

One more point to consider: with the 360, you have to pay for the Gold subscription to be able to play multi-player games online.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Another point pro-360 for online play: Everyone has a headset.
Also against the 360 for online play: Everyone has a headset.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this qualifies as its own question, but I lost my wedding band over the weekend. I have a 20k ring that my uncle had made for me when I was born, but it's really not my style and it's been sitting around ever since. Is it worth getting that ring melted down and having it remade into the old ring I did have? I can still get to the original jewelers who made it and they're in the Diamond District, there are smelters/assayers galore.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

MJP posted:

I don't know if this qualifies as its own question, but I lost my wedding band over the weekend. I have a 20k ring that my uncle had made for me when I was born, but it's really not my style and it's been sitting around ever since. Is it worth getting that ring melted down and having it remade into the old ring I did have? I can still get to the original jewelers who made it and they're in the Diamond District, there are smelters/assayers galore.

Was your original ring custom made or from a catalog? You can see how much it is vs. the amount you can get for selling your ring (either as jewelry or as scrap). You should contact http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418680

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
If I bought a $10 credit for a website that I frequently purchase from, and subsequently received a $50 credit onto my account for the $10 code, am I going to go to hell?

edit: hah, no, I just mean am I going to get bad voodoo/ my newfound $$$'s taken away/ has this happened to anyone else, I didn't mean literal hell.

humanROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 4, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

humanROBOT posted:

If I bought a $10 credit for a website that I frequently purchase from, and subsequently received a $50 credit onto my account for the $10 code, am I going to go to hell?

Hell is a made up place to scare people into acting normal. Next question.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Is there anything I can do to stop myself bruising so easily? I don't mean like taking arnica to make bruises go away once they've formed, but something preventative to stop it happening in the first place.

I inherited my mum's peach skin and after training look like I've been grabbed all over by a poltergeist. The bruises aren't particularly painful, they're just super unsightly and gross.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I just realized my lease ran out like a month or two ago. I've kept making payments at the same rate, and my landlord hasn't mentioned anything, but should I? All things considered, I like the location, the landlord's a pretty good guy, and I don't want to be troubled to move, but I'm somewhat concerned that rent'll go up if I bring up a new lease.

Washington state, if it makes a difference.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravity Pike posted:

I just realized my lease ran out like a month or two ago. I've kept making payments at the same rate, and my landlord hasn't mentioned anything, but should I? All things considered, I like the location, the landlord's a pretty good guy, and I don't want to be troubled to move, but I'm somewhat concerned that rent'll go up if I bring up a new lease.

Washington state, if it makes a difference.
It's impossible to say for sure.

He maybe considering raising the rent, but isn't sure yet or how much exactly, so he's letting you ride month-to-month til he figures it out. If you force a new lease he might raise the rent right away when you could have gotten a bit longer at your current rate if you kept quiet.

He also maybe considering selling the place or thinks he may have to kick you out to make room for his retarded nephew or something, and if you ask for a new lease he might go ahead and go along with it, giving you more time before you have to move (or resulting in his nephew finding another place because he can't wait.)

There are probably a million possibilities. Most likely, he just forgot it ran out and doesn't care as long as he's getting his rent. He might want to increase rent if you remind him; he might not. He might never remember and you can go monthly for as long as you want.

One other thing to consider is your specific lease (read it.) Leases tend to protect tenants and landlords, but mostly landlords (it's a financial commitment from the tenant.) And in some states some clauses in a lease continue even after it "expires" as long as you live there and pay the same rent.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm pretty sure leases default to month-to-month in Washington unless there's language in the lease specifying something else.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I need to know the best way to clean literal poo poo off things. I don't want to talk about what caused all this poo poo to be all over everything, although it might be a subject for an E/N thread later on. Maybe.

It's on carpet, books, DVDs, wood tables/shelves, cardboard boxes, the fuzzy sides of a guitar amp, and an LCD TV. I want to get all traces of the poo poo off all these things and remove the smell. The carpet's hosed anyway so I don't really care if it stains, I just want the poo poo and the smell of poo poo to be gone.

I'm assuming the books and maybe the DVDs are a total loss and I'm quite prepared to throw them away.

I'm in Australia, so if you're recommending cleaning products, locally available ones would be a help. I can't realistically use anything that will be toxic to a small dog, although the dog can (sort of) be kept out of the room for a few days if necessary.

I've removed all the clumps and some of the more obvious smears. Everything else is kind of dry smears or wiped onto things. The whole room stinks a LOT less than I was expecting, but I'll need something to get the smell out anyway.

I will be cleaning the poo poo tomorrow unless it's 100% vital that it be removed ASAP (it's been there 2-3 days already).

(Ideally I would gut the room, rip the carpet up, and spray everything with disinfectant. There's so many books and other unwashable things in there that that would be really impractical, and nobody can afford new carpet or anything anyway.)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I need to know the best way to clean literal poo poo off things. I don't want to talk about what caused all this poo poo to be all over everything, although it might be a subject for an E/N thread later on. Maybe.

You cant expect to post this without sharing the story.

But seriously, what kind of poop is it (human, dog, cow?) and how did it end up there (flood, backed up toilet, pet minature pig with the runs, angry girlfriend hurling it around?)

If it is wet poop, like a flooded sewer, I would burn everything.

mostly solid poop, like a turd flung by a video game character from a long overdue franchise is probably going to come off with a wet wipe and some bleach.