Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

oddium posted:

feel free to create your own fiction, as a fan, during the downtime

Fan fiction for an ongoing property has always been the most dubious thing to me, in all honesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How do you rate the star wars EU books, given they've been retroactively dropped into that category? :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Unhappy Meal posted:

Oh wait, Johnny will be able to see the train in the picture they took soon. That's going to be an interesting conversation.

Yup. The fact he's seeing purple shades means it's only gonna be time til he sees everything and he's either gonna freak out or try to punch them. (the ghosts and spirits)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Unhappy Meal posted:

Oh wait, Johnny will be able to see the train in the picture they took soon. That's going to be an interesting conversation.

Is that a thing? It's not a ghost camera or anything, so it should just be a normal picture of normal (floating) things, no matter who looks at it, right?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wait, but wasn't Isaac able to watch spirits on closed-circuit cameras back in chapter 1 with the spirit Isabel and Ed were chasing? It's weird to imagine a physical photograph or screen would show one image to someone and another image to someone else, but considering we're dealing with the ability to see ghosts maybe primitive ideas like light and visibility are the wrong way to look at it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It will obviously show up in photos because that's how it works in HxH

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah iirc the way zach says it works is spectrals see the spectral world regardless of if it's in front of them, in a mirror, in live video, a recording or photograph, etc

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Dolash posted:

It's weird to imagine a physical photograph or screen would show one image to someone and another image to someone else, but considering we're dealing with the ability to see ghosts maybe primitive ideas like light and visibility are the wrong way to look at it.

I can't remember where he specifically said it, but I definitely remember Zack saying something about how if a spectral was trying to get a tan and there was a massive cloud spirit blocking the sun, they wouldn't actually be able to get a tan. Light does indeed get weird when Spectrals and Spirits start to get involved, probably owing to the fact that Zack doesn't want to rewrite the laws of physics to make sure his comic about 12 year olds beating up monsters works on a metaphysical level.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Zach has spectrals can see ghosts in photos and videos etc. Must make watching movies difficult if other places have anywhere near as high a concentration of spirits as Mayview.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

GodFish posted:

Zach has spectrals can see ghosts in photos and videos etc. Must make watching movies difficult if other places have anywhere near as high a concentration of spirits as Mayview.

imagine watching the end of citizen kane and then a farting butt spirit walks into the background

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If Spectrals are numerous enough there should be a Spectral movie industry that consists of organizing spirits and ghosts to show up in the background of regular movies as they're being filmed and have their own subplots going on around the story.

Or, alternatively, having spirits squat in front of the camera for a whole movie's production such that no spectral can actually see what's going on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Or, alternatively, having spirits squat in front of the camera for a whole movie's production such that no spectral can actually see what's going on.

I would make it my life's mission to hunt down every one of these cheeky bastards and send them straight to hell. :catstare:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Imagine how many films and series have been accidentally ruined by random spirits wandering into the set.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
now imagine how many films and series have been saved by spirits purposefully wandering into the set

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Turns out The Room is great because the movie also stars the ghost of Redd Foxx.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VerdantSquire posted:

imagine watching the end of citizen kane and then a farting butt spirit walks into the background

improvement imo

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

VerdantSquire posted:

I can't remember where he specifically said it, but I definitely remember Zack saying something about how if a spectral was trying to get a tan and there was a massive cloud spirit blocking the sun, they wouldn't actually be able to get a tan. Light does indeed get weird when Spectrals and Spirits start to get involved, probably owing to the fact that Zack doesn't want to rewrite the laws of physics to make sure his comic about 12 year olds beating up monsters works on a metaphysical level.

It goes as far as you can imagine as well. Hop into your tool's spirit world, see ruined wall, move at supersonic speed through apparently solid wall. Walk along a road with a friend, walk into a poison cloud spirit, drop dead while your non-spectral friend is fine. Be passenger in the backseat of a car as it's driving out of Mayview, everyone and everything passes through the barrier, except you, who suddenly explodes as if you just hit a brick wall going 55 miles an hour.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

It goes as far as you can imagine as well. Hop into your tool's spirit world, see ruined wall, move at supersonic speed through apparently solid wall. Walk along a road with a friend, walk into a poison cloud spirit, drop dead while your non-spectral friend is fine. Be passenger in the backseat of a car as it's driving out of Mayview, everyone and everything passes through the barrier, except you, who suddenly explodes as if you just hit a brick wall going 55 miles an hour.

The splattered bits would then punch a hole in the car.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Exit Strategy posted:

It's NO ADULT SUPERVISION!
Adults don't have super vision?

How does that explain my parents then?? :ohdear:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

neogeo0823 posted:

No just imagine how awesome Max's parkour powers are gonna be considering his spirit world is completely littered in junk all the time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Michael Jordan was a spectral, he just stepped off a passing spirit every time he dunked

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm just thinking of clever subterfuge you could do, like writing things that only non-spectrals can see because you covered the rest with Ed's ink or the like. It's some cool stuff.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

theshim posted:

I'm just thinking of clever subterfuge you could do, like writing things that only non-spectrals can see because you covered the rest with Ed's ink or the like. It's some cool stuff.

I wonder if you can learn to turn off ghost vision? It seems like it could be very useful to learn to flex between the two states, even if only briefly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's going to be a Medium for a spirit who committed suicide because he was incapable of seeing other spirits, and said medium won't be able to see the spirit world. Believe it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Was it in-comic or out of comic where it was mentioned that the main reason there aren't more spectrals and spirits aren't common knowledge is because every so often some giant space whale spirit just casually moves through the planet earth, accidentally murdering everyone who can see it?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Was it in-comic or out of comic where it was mentioned that the main reason there aren't more spectrals and spirits aren't common knowledge is because every so often some giant space whale spirit just casually moves through the planet earth, accidentally murdering everyone who can see it?

Out of comic, and it was more of a joke than anything else. I think.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Renaissance Robot posted:

The Spirits Within?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh hey I forgot that was the plot of that movie. And also that the movie existed at all.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

also legitimate question why has someone not made an avatar gif of the first three panels of the newest page yet?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VerdantSquire posted:

Out of comic, and it was more of a joke than anything else. I think.

I think it came up because at some point we see a giant plodding around in the background.

And you've gotta live in fear that one day he's gonna step on you.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Imagine being a spectral watching Ghostbusters with your non-spectral friends, and never being sure what you should react to and what you shouldn't because it's some random real ghost who wandered onto the set

Edit: or awkward conversations like "Wait, didn't [actor] die before this was made?" "What are you talking about, they're not in this movie"

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 4, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The ghosts of Hollywood actors hanging around in the background of later films and riffing on them would make any other spiritual inconvenience worthwhile.

The prevalence of human-derived ghosts is a pretty big question, I think - Spectrals could be out solving murders, or historically significant people could be doing weird spirit power poo poo and haunting the real world.

I wonder if any of the human characters might die later in the story and rejoin the cast as a ghost?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Suaimhneas posted:

Imagine being a spectral watching Ghostbusters with your non-spectral friends, and never being sure what you should react to and what you shouldn't because it's some random real ghost who wandered onto the set

Edit: or awkward conversations like "Wait, didn't [actor] die before this was made?" "What are you talking about, they're not in this movie"

You'd watch sixth sense and think that Bruce Willis must have died and been haunting the set.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Purely coincidentally there actually is the ghost of a child hanging around that scene in three men and a baby.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A spectral watches Harvey and has no idea what the joke is.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
How long has it been since human ghosts were relevant or even mentioned? I'd almost forgotten that they existed at this point.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ZeusJupitar posted:

How long has it been since human ghosts were relevant or even mentioned? I'd almost forgotten that they existed at this point.

I think Max was asking about them (re: his dead mom) not too long ago.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ZeusJupitar posted:

There are two human ghost characters (one very minor) so far, and Max is very concerned about his mother possibly being one.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

ZeusJupitar posted:

PJ and Grandpa Guerra are fairly major characters, and both played roles at the beginning of the current chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cryophage posted:

PJ and Grandpa Guerra are fairly major characters, and both played roles at the beginning of the current chapter.

Grandpa Guerra has NOT been established as a ghost :colbert:

The other ghost is his one student Zarei was treating at the start of the chapter.