Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The S&P500 gapped down yesterday, but it actually closed higher than the day before. Absolutely sucks to miss out on the dip though.

I have only ever used Questrade and I have never encountered something like you describe. But then again, I'm just manually moving money to it and purchasing XEQT at regular intervals until I fill out my registered accounts. If I had a larger or more complicated portfolio that included US listed funds I would probably prefer to go through a bank, adviser, or portfolio manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Risk tolerance has always seemed like an ice breaker for a sales talk in my opinion. What a coincidence that the lowest MER funds offered through my work RRSP plan were considered the riskiest and required the advisor to double check with me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PoizenJam posted:

The S&P500 gapped down yesterday, but it actually closed higher than the day before. Absolutely sucks to miss out on the dip though.

I have only ever used Questrade and I have never encountered something like you describe. But then again, I'm just manually moving money to it and purchasing XEQT at regular intervals until I fill out my registered accounts. If I had a larger or more complicated portfolio that included US listed funds I would probably prefer to go through a bank, adviser, or portfolio manager.

That is good to know.

They of course were not able to reactivate the purchase orders, in fact they cancelled them altogether so I had to recalculate my balance once off the phone with them (2 hours 10 minutes total). Had to go heavier on my CDN bonds and INTL stocks (which have tanked due to something or other going on somewhere in the world IDK) to get my preferred ratio back. Aw hell, given the anticipated increase in interest rates that's not a terrible thing.

They had absolutely no reason they could give why this had to be an in person discussion (although the answer is of course giving them an opportunity to try to sell me something--in this case a Trust account! :suicide: ). After answering their questions they said "given your tolerance we think that you are best suited to a growth fund" yeah no poo poo. Nothing has changed, and I have an online account expressly so I don't have to deal with people.

What a waste of time and money. Very angry with them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

That is good to know.

They of course were not able to reactivate the purchase orders, in fact they cancelled them altogether so I had to recalculate my balance once off the phone with them (2 hours 10 minutes total). Had to go heavier on my CDN bonds and INTL stocks (which have tanked due to something or other going on somewhere in the world IDK) to get my preferred ratio back. Aw hell, given the anticipated increase in interest rates that's not a terrible thing.

They had absolutely no reason they could give why this had to be an in person discussion (although the answer is of course giving them an opportunity to try to sell me something--in this case a Trust account! :suicide: ). After answering their questions they said "given your tolerance we think that you are best suited to a growth fund" yeah no poo poo. Nothing has changed, and I have an online account expressly so I don't have to deal with people.

What a waste of time and money. Very angry with them.

QT covers the cost of bringing your accounts to them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

That's even better to know. Thanks thread!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the replies on the tax software

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

:wtc:

Get your investments the hell out of there.

If you go with Questrade, you also get a complementary Elite subscription to Passiv, a very clever service that will make balancing your portfolio an easy one-click operation, if the one-stop-shop asset allocation EFTs aren’t your thing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nofeed posted:

:wtc:

Get your investments the hell out of there.

If you go with Questrade, you also get a complementary Elite subscription to Passiv, a very clever service that will make balancing your portfolio an easy one-click operation, if the one-stop-shop asset allocation EFTs aren’t your thing.

I was just reading about these on Canadian Couch Potato. They are new since the last time I moved my investment account and thought about it in any detail (I am very set and forget with this account, aside from automatic monthly deposits and an annual rebalance). Seems things have progressed over the past few years.

(e. also I am glad that you seem to agree I'm not reacting completely irrationally about this situation)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
As a person on the internet with an opinion, which therefore qualifies me as an expert in this area, you sound like the ideal “buy xeqt/xgro/xetc on an internet discount brokerage” kinda investor.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bilirubin posted:

(e. also I am glad that you seem to agree I'm not reacting completely irrationally about this situation)

Nah I would be pissed too, that's some bullshit. I saw the phrase "malicious compliance" the other day and it's exactly the vibe I get from the investment industry. Just remember that they'll all disappoint you eventually, and that your loyalty will not be rewarded.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I would 100% be moving my accounts away from TD if that happened to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that’s 100% bullshit. Flee.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nofeed posted:

As a person on the internet with an opinion, which therefore qualifies me as an expert in this area, you sound like the ideal “buy xeqt/xgro/xetc on an internet discount brokerage” kinda investor.

I suppose I could be more active but, yeah. Exactly this.

I suppose the difference between Vanguard and iShares ETFs are negligible?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

I suppose I could be more active but, yeah. Exactly this.

I suppose the difference between Vanguard and iShares ETFs are negligible?

They have some almost certainly irrelevant differences in fees (couple basis points difference) and allocation (e.g. what bucket Korea falls in, how much USA to hold, global vs. only-Canada bonds).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

what kind of documentation do i need for a capital loss that isn't offsetting a capital gain in the same year? i know i need to fill out a schedule 3, but what supporting documents do i need from my brokerage?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

what kind of documentation do i need for a capital loss that isn't offsetting a capital gain in the same year? i know i need to fill out a schedule 3, but what supporting documents do i need from my brokerage?

Is it associated with a business? Is this in a registered account?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

VelociBacon posted:

Is it associated with a business? Is this in a registered account?

i (separately) bought options that ended up expiring out of the money and received a stock grant from my employer that went down a non trivial amount before i was free to sell. neither of these happened in registered accounts. the options were purchased in a non registered account on qtrade and the stock from my employer was handled via schwab

i have no capital gains in 2021 to offset but i understand i can carry these losses forward indefinitely as long as i report them on a schedule 3. neither qtrade or schwab has provided any tax documents for the transactions so i'm assuming i need to provide something else. possibly transactions? i'm mostly wondering what the cra expects in this regard

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

i (separately) bought options that ended up expiring out of the money and received a stock grant from my employer that went down a non trivial amount before i was free to sell. neither of these happened in registered accounts. the options were purchased in a non registered account on qtrade and the stock from my employer was handled via schwab

i have no capital gains in 2021 to offset but i understand i can carry these losses forward indefinitely as long as i report them on a schedule 3. neither qtrade or schwab has provided any tax documents for the transactions so i'm assuming i need to provide something else. possibly transactions? i'm mostly wondering what the cra expects in this regard

I haven't submitted anything from a brokerage when I had capital losses, I just put it on Schedule 3 (and yep you gotta report it the year you incur the loss, then it carries forward). I assume CRA can ask for documentation afterwards, but I don't remember supplying anything up front.

Remember too you can carry back a capital loss up to three years to offset capital gains in a prior tax year.

In addition to the usual caveats that I'm not an expert and that a lack of consequences doesn't imply correctness, the amounts were relatively piddly and could easily escape notice if I did a wrong.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not yet a CPA nor am I a higher-up in a firm, but:

The claim support for a loss claimed on Schedule 3 should be the same as a capital gain. They won't ask for it specifically, but you should have something in your files should they ask for it (though unless it's an extraordinary amount, they probably won't). At least, we've never had to submit any additional documents for clients of ours. We just hold on to either an annual gain/loss or transaction reports from their brokers. If it's just the one transaction, a T5008 that lists both the proceeds and ACB should also be an option (warning: T5008's Statement of Securities Transactions doesn't always list the ACB, as that's technically your responsibility).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not yet a CPA nor am I a higher-up in a firm, but:

The claim support for a loss claimed on Schedule 3 should be the same as a capital gain. They won't ask for it specifically, but you should have something in your files should they ask for it (though unless it's an extraordinary amount, they probably won't). At least, we've never had to submit any additional documents for clients of ours. We just hold on to either an annual gain/loss or transaction reports from their brokers. If it's just the one transaction, a T5008 that lists both the proceeds and ACB should also be an option (warning: T5008's Statement of Securities Transactions doesn't always list the ACB, as that's technically your responsibility).

this is very helpful, thankyou. my total claim is low five figures and i have supporting statements i used to arrive at the figure. i'll just hold onto those and make notes on how i arrived at the value in case of audit

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Quick tax question for contractors, my wife is working a consultant and is reporting all self-employed income for 2022. If I get her a new laptop for her birthday would she be able to claim that on her taxes as an expense if she was buying it?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Okay, just because it's your birthday, I'm letting you buy yourself a laptop. But you better get the tax receipt! I love you Honey.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DariusLikewise posted:

Quick tax question for contractors, my wife is working a consultant and is reporting all self-employed income for 2022. If I get her a new laptop for her birthday would she be able to claim that on her taxes as an expense if she was buying it?

I don't see why not. As long as you'll have a receipt and claim legitimate expenses (or asset for CCA purposes), they don't care who paid for it.

Technically, there are specific rules wrt. gifts from non-arm's length parties, and buying a laptop yourself and gifting it to your wife would assume that you received proceeds equal to its fair market value for tax purposes (which is easily established as it's a new laptop with a receipt), and your wife would now have acquired that laptop at the same value.

But these rules are like, if you transfer shares or large assets you own to your family where you would otherwise pay tax on selling or disposing. A laptop is probably such small potatoes that they won't care who bought it as long as you can reasonably say it's for business purposes.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've been with both BMO and Scotia at various times in my life. At both banks I had accounts where the plan fee would be waived if I maintained the 'minimum monthly balance (indicated by the plan) at all times ' in the primary account. I have never quite understood the interpretation of at all times in this case. Does my balance simply need to be above the minimum at the end of my monthly period? I have certainly dipped under the minimum balance before (for less than a day) and received the plan refund regardless. Would I not have received the refund if I ended a day below this balance?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PoizenJam posted:

Would I not have received the refund if I ended a day below this balance?

Correct

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I am a little confused on how to properly report my income on my tax return. The entire year I worked remotely for the same foreign employer, but I emigrated about a third through the year. Fully emigrated, no ties to Canada.

As far as I can tell, I'm only supposed to report income for the portion of the year I lived in Canada, but then I'm taxed as though I earned a poverty wage (ie. under 10%) Surely that can't be right?

But if I enter my whole year income then I'm taxed at an absurdly high rate -- as it seems the credits are prorated to my departure date, but the income isn't.

Maybe the software I'm using is getting it wrong? :confused:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I’d suggest having your taxes done professionally this year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, agree^

Cibc now has the online portal open for the Costco mc.

Applied and within 30 sec was approved for their "world" variant (whatever that is).

Looking forward to it, has 3% cash back on Costco fuel too.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2022

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Thirded. A professional is a small price to pay for this instance to make sure it's right, and can also give you advice and make sure you're not missing out on certain things (such as cross-border treaty exemptions, things like that)..

I'd offer some advice, but I've never done the actual returns (just a small unit in the CPA taxation module a few months ago) so I wouldn't feel right giving advice on how it actually works.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, agree^

Applied and within 30 sec was approved for their "world" variant (whatever that is).

Yeah, I registered through CIBC for my Costco MC a week ago and was pleased on the 3% Costco fuel cashback. Between the discounted gas and extra 1% I think it'll be worth going a bit out of my way once every two weeks to tank up in Ancaster.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I also recommend a professional.

When I returned to Canada I did it wrong (lol) and the CRA person doing my taxes just fixed it for me, but it was over a small enough amount since I was like 22 and not making much that it didn't really matter.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah, agree^

If you use Chevron you can link the Costco MC to a Journie rewards account and get 3c/litre off and free snacks, too.

They've lost the free rental car insurance that the capital one card had, which sucks

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I donated to a political party for the first time last year. They sent me a plain email right after confirming the amount, but I still haven’t received a more formal-looking tax receipt. Should I expect to?

This is easy enough to track, but I typically make a lot of donations throughout the year so I’m always careful about collecting the receipts just in case I need them later. I don’t want to be chasing down charities for paperwork if the CRA comes knocking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kaom posted:

I donated to a political party for the first time last year. They sent me a plain email right after confirming the amount, but I still haven’t received a more formal-looking tax receipt. Should I expect to?

This is easy enough to track, but I typically make a lot of donations throughout the year so I’m always careful about collecting the receipts just in case I need them later. I don’t want to be chasing down charities for paperwork if the CRA comes knocking.

My friend I am considering running for office and starting a charitable business and running a food clinic (?) Do you need my PayPal or is Venmo ok or how do we do this? I'm also going to start researching about Disease.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

lmao pretty much got it in one. Add some crisis counselling services, access to the outdoors for disabled children, early education supports, and we might have it covered!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/anticipated-rate-hikes-could-topple-housing-market-capital-economics-1.1741797

:pray:

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

So QuestTrade is heavily pushing their new lower-rate (sub-prime?) mortgages, just as housing is poised in the edge of a cliff. Is anyone else invested with QuestTrade, uh, worried?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Square Peg posted:

So QuestTrade is heavily pushing their new lower-rate (sub-prime?) mortgages, just as housing is poised in the edge of a cliff. Is anyone else invested with QuestTrade, uh, worried?

The CIPF exists, so no, not really.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Square Peg posted:

There's an upper limit defined by regulatory bodies to how nervous or excited I'd really get about any of this stuff. I just got a 2.74 fixed rate 5 yr mortgage and I'm a QT investor so I hope I didn't gently caress up by not getting a quote from them.

The wording here may be confusing me but isn't every single person getting a rate that's below prime? Like if you have your life together enough that you even have a downpayment, aren't you going to be offered a rate below prime?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tagesschau posted:

The CIPF exists, so no, not really.

This. Plus protection will only be triggered if the brokerage no longer has the securities to transfer to another brokerage or records are bad/incomplete. Generally either of these outcomes are very unlikely unless there is massive fraud going on at the brokerage. There are also limits, I think it’s 1 million but I’m not sure, often brokerages get private insurance on top of the basic CIPF so they can keep higher value clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

VelociBacon posted:

There's an upper limit defined by regulatory bodies to how nervous or excited I'd really get about any of this stuff. I just got a 2.74 fixed rate 5 yr mortgage and I'm a QT investor so I hope I didn't gently caress up by not getting a quote from them.

The wording here may be confusing me but isn't every single person getting a rate that's below prime? Like if you have your life together enough that you even have a downpayment, aren't you going to be offered a rate below prime?

The rate might be below prime but the actual housing prices are just hosed.

Like yeah give me a great rate on a mortgage for a 1m house that was less than half that five years ago but I still can't afford it and even if I do put myself into life crippling debt there's a decent chance the market will finally tank and then I'm spending the next ten years working off 1m debt worth gently caress all.

I'm going to keep renting for the next year or two and continue praying the market tanks and a lot of greedy people are forced to sell their investment properties.