Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
holy shithole who loving cares

Tynan is a hilariously unaware dumbfuck for handling it this way but RPS is also dumb as poo poo for making a thing out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle??????????????????????????/////////////

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Coolguye posted:

Tynan is a hilariously unaware dumbfuck for handling it this way but RPS is also dumb as poo poo for making a thing out of this

"making a thing out of this" = describing an interesting aspect of a very popular game they have already covered extensively

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bisonbison posted:

"making a thing out of this" = describing an interesting aspect of a very popular game they have already covered extensively

lol sure

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

I mean pointing out that this game is made by a very bad person and that you probably shouldn't give him money seems fair

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
If you're going to throw away every game that was made by bad people, well, it's probably time to get a new hobby, because all video games are made by nerds

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

actually it's about ethics in video game purchasing

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I assume the RPS lady wrote this article after she suffered a fell mood resulting from brain damage caused by trying to mine dwarf fortress' code for gender politics stuff. I wish the dev hat just told them he wouldn't talk to them because why the gently caress would he talk to anyone associated with RPS? They're not even Kotaku.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the lesson to learn from this is that you should never ever criticize anything because that means you care and caring about anything means you're literally insane

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Pawns aren't as attracted to ugly pawns? This is an outrage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ShadowMar posted:

caring about anything means you're literally insane

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

caring about anything means you're literally insane
:yeah:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ShadowMar posted:

the lesson to learn from this is that you should never ever criticize anything because that means you care and caring about anything means you're literally insane

Wisdom.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

it's literally impossible to enjoy a game while criticizing the game and/or the creator for doing lovely things because humans are physically and mentally incapable of holding multiple views

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"This is bullshit, this game doesn't perfectly simulate real life because the dev spent more time coding gameplay than gender and romance dynamics and it's clearly the dev pushing his bullshit HATECODE down our throats"

Really hope no one got paid for this article. The fact that there's even gay and bisexual pawns already makes it 95% more progressive than most of the triple A titles.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

"This is bullshit, this game doesn't perfectly simulate real life because the dev spent more time coding gameplay than gender and romance dynamics and it's clearly the dev pushing his bullshit HATECODE down our throats"

Really hope no one got paid for this article. The fact that there's even gay and bisexual pawns already makes it 95% more progressive than most of the triple A titles.

code:
                    straight     bi     gay
male                X                      X
female                           X        X
writing an article asking "what would motivate him to code it this way?" does not equate to anything you, drone fragger, described

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was going to buy the game one of these days but watching the developer burn his own house down turned out to be more entertaining. :allears:

Also I'm super surprised to learn that I dont exist.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

bisonbison posted:

writing an article asking "what would motivate him to code it this way?" does not equate to anything you, drone fragger, described

facts? actually reading the article? neither of those matter, i have to get mad at the writer for making fun of the game i like right now!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Foo Diddley posted:

If you're going to throw away every game that was made by bad people, well, it's probably time to get a new hobby, because all video games are made by nerds

literally the only other devs I can think of who have staggeringly awful opinions, make them public, and then act like giant pissbabies when people go "uh dude that's kind of not cool" are Notch, the Hatred guys, Brad Wardell, and Dennis Dyack

that's not a long list of people to avoid giving money to imo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

it's literally impossible to enjoy a game while criticizing the game and/or the creator for doing lovely things because humans are physically and mentally incapable of holding multiple views
you literally and unironically see this happening in that article's comments when fans of the game speak up and other people say they're now not buying the game because of this

bisonbison posted:

code:
                    straight     bi     gay
actually:

quote:

On top of that, what RimWorld doesn’t model is as important as what it does.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

literally the only other devs I can think of who have staggeringly awful opinions, make them public, and then act like giant pissbabies when people go "uh dude that's kind of not cool" are Notch, the Hatred guys, Brad Wardell, and Dennis Dyack

that's not a long list of people to avoid giving money to imo
companies get thrown in with this all the time as well, be it EA to piranha to, briefly, valve for its casting in l4d2 and when cut content came out for the treatment of caroline/glados in portal 2

like literally people were being called rape culture advocates because of CUT CONTENT that sounded super rapey in portal 2

e: to be clear in case someone isn't familiar, originally caroline didn't want to become glados and there was an audio log where she had the upload forced on her. the guy who voiced cave johnson objected and said it sounded super rapey, the writers went back and said "you know what you're right let's change that". but caroline's lines were already recorded and eventually resurfaced.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 3, 2016

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

bisonbison posted:

code:
                    straight     bi     gay

I mean, given he literally took a 7 month break from making the game because he was sick of coding it. So my personal guess would be the occams razor approach and believe what he described in his own responses. Ie, that it's a hacked together framework currently based on the little bit of statistical research that he did, that he's going to flesh out later. I mean, he even makes comment to this as being one of the changes that he's making in alpha 16.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this escalates and tynan just states he's going to remove gender and relationships as a thing from the game, making it much less enjoyable as suddenly my doctors will have less training after a guy needs patching up from going crazy due to getting a space divoce

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pretty lovely that she wouldn't agree to post his unedited responses to questions. Is that even remotely kosher?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

companies get thrown in with this all the time as well, be it EA to piranha to, briefly, valve for its casting in l4d2 and when cut content came out for the treatment of caroline/glados in portal 2

like literally people were being called rape culture advocates because of CUT CONTENT that sounded super rapey in portal 2

did valve act like huge manbabies about it, because it sounds like they realized it was hosed up and cut it for that specific reason

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty lovely that she wouldn't agree to post his unedited responses to questions. Is that even remotely kosher?

nah it's pretty standard to edit responses to make them fit in the context of the article, and insisting on total unedited responses implies a level of hostility that nobody really wants to try to work with.

that said in this case the hostility was arguably justified, but tynan's request is actually pretty weird and kind of onerous for someone trying to write a coherent article, unless they're just publishing a full on interview.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

did valve act like huge manbabies about it, because it sounds like they realized it was hosed up and cut it for that specific reason

there were a couple of low-level writers and programmers who thought it was loving absurd that they should be pilloried over cut content and that was quickly taken up as insensitive and unjust at the time so yeah kinda?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2016

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's so she can cut the bits of the article that refute what shes stating and then make tynan look bad, or warp statements to be the total opposite.

The British media did it here to great effect by taking a clip of Jeremy Corbyn stating "It's an absolute tragedy that Osama Bin Laden was killed without facing trial" and cut it to "It's an absolute tragedy that Osama Bin Laden was killed" to make it look like the leader of a political party is apparantly a terrorist.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Minor tip for anybody mucking around with Industrial Rollers: since crafting tables set to 'drop to floor' will (as far as I can tell) always have the pawn drop the finished item on the tile to their left (when facing the table), you can put a roller there to immediately send finished items into your storage system.

I saw there's a mod that adds full-fledged robot pawns, but I'd like to see one that adds industrial robots that are placed like furniture and can do bills (and use ingredients) within 1 tile of them. Basically, :factorio:

Coolguye posted:

that said in this case the hostility was arguably justified, but tynan's request is actually pretty weird and kind of onerous for someone trying to write a coherent article, unless they're just publishing a full on interview.

Yeah, even at a minimum any response would need to be chopped up to fit under the relevant subheadings talking about what each bit of the code does.

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's so she can cut the bits of the article that refute what shes stating and then make tynan look bad, or warp statements to be the total opposite.

The British media did it here to great effect by taking a clip of Jeremy Corbyn stating "It's an absolute tragedy that Osama Bin Laden was killed without facing trial" and cut it to "It's an absolute tragedy that Osama Bin Laden was killed" to make it look like the leader of a political party is apparantly a terrorist.

People at RPS have written like a bajillion glowing reviews and puff pieces for RimWorld. Why assume they want to character assassinate him, rather than (as the article quite eloquently does) point out something weird in the stories generated by a game that prides itself on being a story generator?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2016

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Coolguye posted:

nah it's pretty standard to edit responses to make them fit in the context of the article, and insisting on total unedited responses implies a level of hostility that nobody really wants to try to work with.

there were a couple of low-level writers and programmers who thought it was loving absurd that they should be pilloried over cut content and that was quickly taken up as insensitive and unjust at the time so yeah kinda?

I agree that its pretty standard but RPS/the author not coming back and offering alternative options for Tynan to have some editorial control without the total control of "all of my comments cannot be edited in any way" nuclear option also reeks of something fishy on the author's end.

Roadie posted:

People at RPS have written like a bajillion glowing reviews and puff pieces for RimWorld. Why assume they want to character assassinate him, rather than (as the article quite eloquently does) point out something weird in the stories generated by a game that prides itself on being a story generator?

The specific author of this piece (Claudia Lo) hasn't written on Rimworld before and doesn't seem to be a regular RPS contributor, so the whole situation is kinda weird.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand the guy who made the game's done interviews for breitbart and made the autism trait in the game literally set empathy to 0

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Endorph posted:

on the other hand the guy who made the game's done interviews for breitbart and made the autism trait in the game literally set empathy to 0

Wait which trait is this :confused:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, it's called psychopath in game. Someone called it 'autism.' Maybe it got renamed at some point? Or maybe whoever was making that claim was an idiot.

Still kind of a hosed up depiction of mental illness tho.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

it's the Asperger Rebel backstory

"Her asperger syndrome meant he struggled with social situations and was incapable of caring, but she learned hard skills like research and shooting very quickly."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ShadowMar posted:

it's the Asperger Rebel backstory

"Her asperger syndrome meant he struggled with social situations and was incapable of caring, but she learned hard skills like research and shooting very quickly."

:stare:

Uh, asperger's doesn't work that way....

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kickstarter backers had the worst backstory ideas. Surprised no one added a self insert about a social 20 guy with the biggest dick in the universe or something. I guess emmie comes pretty close for creepy fantasy stuff though.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean, given he literally took a 7 month break from making the game because he was sick of coding it. So my personal guess would be the occams razor approach and believe what he described in his own responses. Ie, that it's a hacked together framework currently based on the little bit of statistical research that he did, that he's going to flesh out later. I mean, he even makes comment to this as being one of the changes that he's making in alpha 16.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this escalates and tynan just states he's going to remove gender and relationships as a thing from the game, making it much less enjoyable as suddenly my doctors will have less training after a guy needs patching up from going crazy due to getting a space divoce

Some people find the construction of gender and race in games to be interesting questions. If Prison Architect had modeled prison sentence length for the same offense by ethnicity according to historical data, a lot of people would be interested in that. If the devs had just stuck racial weighting in after five minutes of googling and a conversation with their anti-PC friends, that'd be pretty interesting too.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was going to buy the game one of these days but watching the developer burn his own house down turned out to be more entertaining. :allears:

Also I'm super surprised to learn that I dont exist.
nonexistant hi five

Also lol at RPS running a shitpiece on him, they have/had? on ongoing series of story articles and have been positive about loads in the past. The article's tone was so wishy washy over how it could all just be because it isn't finished etc etc. Then tynan busts into the comments saying :biotruths: and claiming bi people don't exist.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah he really missed the mark on this one. All he had to do is say "Yeap relationship system needs work and will be improved in the future" but decided to double down on defending the weakest system in the game instead

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Geokinesis posted:

nonexistant hi five

Also lol at RPS running a shitpiece on him, they have/had? on ongoing series of story articles and have been positive about loads in the past. The article's tone was so wishy washy over how it could all just be because it isn't finished etc etc. Then tynan busts into the comments saying :biotruths: and claiming bi people don't exist.

Come on, be fair. He says that he himself has never met a real bi man, but his research suggests that one could theoretically be discovered. basically the bigfoots of sexuality

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god who cares about whether the dev does or doesn't understand your special sexual quirks, just play the drat game or don't or whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PleasingFungus posted:

basically the bigfoots of sexuality

I know this is supposed to make fun of Tynan, but I want to appropriate this title :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Come on, be fair. He says that he himself has never met a real bi man, but his research suggests that one could theoretically be discovered. basically the bigfoots of sexuality

Sure, many men have sex with both men and women, but do they mean it?