Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
In hindsight, what are peoples' thoughts on the pod deck building mechanic in the Star Wars LCG? Clever? Overly limiting? Other thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CitizenKeen posted:

In hindsight, what are peoples' thoughts on the pod deck building mechanic in the Star Wars LCG? Clever? Overly limiting? Other thoughts?

As a dude that is VERY bad at wrapping my brain around deckbuilding, I very much liked and appreciated it. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that though.

Other poo poo: My broke brain rear end traded for a ton of Netrunner poo poo a few days ago despite having not played it in probably 5+ years and the chances of playing it again are probably pretty close to 0. On the plus side, it did free up shelf space since it all fit in my existing Netrunner box, so win I guess?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CitizenKeen posted:

Personally, I loved it because it forced players to make fairly major changes to their decks as sets were released. I always point to the difference between Netrunner and Star Wars World Championship decks between 2014/2015. In instances where the same faction was represented in the finals the Netrunner deck changed something like 12-16% of the cards, while the Star Wars ones changed 40-60%(I'd have to go back and look at my posts to find the actual numbers but it was something like this). A lot of people didn't like it because it made it hard to fine tune a deck, and if a pod didn't come out for "their" deck/faction of choice then they were disinterested. The hardcore crowd was pretty turned off to the concept as well because it meant they couldn't have absolute control over every card decision and were forced to use bad cards which in turn led to situations where they'd feel like they lost because they didn't draw Darth Vader and top decked a probe droid or whatever. There was also a feeling that because you couldn't make all those changes that the game was for babies or casual players who couldn't design their own decks for 50 cards. I always thought that criticism was hilarious given how much the competitive communities for games always netdeck off each other(not criticizing the practice, but what's the point of complaining that a game doesn't give you full control when you aren't even going to be showing up with a deck you actually built to tournaments).

The best thing to me about the Star Wars LCG was that in echoed a lot of what made the Decipher CCG great, which was that you could build a deck based around a ton of different poo poo from all around the galaxy. The deck building with pods took that into an area where you could combine the stuff you liked with the stuff that was efficient and make a great deck. The Decipher game was much more about building a deck that was either thematic and poo poo, or competitive and threw everything good into a single deck.

I think the large majority feel like the concept was more perfected with Conquest, but that still had it's own issues. Namely the same issue every FFG LCG design has in terms of singleton cards that are ridiculously strong.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
People who played it, I feel like it makes decks less consistent - you only have 1 or 2 copies of a lot of cards. True or false impression?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CitizenKeen posted:

People who played it, I feel like it makes decks less consistent - you only have 1 or 2 copies of a lot of cards. True or false impression?

Depends on the pod. There were a few that only had one card, so if you ran the max of 2 pods per deck, you'd have 2, but there were pods that were literally all the same card. Conventional wisdom in that game though was to always take 2 pods if you were putting a given pod in a deck but then also a lot of the big 1 of cards tended to stay around for a while and while they were out, a duplicate was a wasted card in hand (Luke, Darth, etc).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finished my Gamora deck :toot:. Not sure when our group is going to be able to play next, hopefully at least once before Thanksgiving, but now I can stop fretting about finishing it and just get excited to see how bad/good it works. Pretty happy all things considered though.

https://marvelcdb.com/deck/view/214977

I know the song doesn't fit the time period from Guardians shut up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Didn’t want Loki to get last laugh. Ran Dr.Strange and Spider-Man leadership. Took me a while to get setup (Infinity Gauntlet discarded a key Dr.Strange card right off the bat) but once I got going he didn’t stand a chance. Got him to the second round and just hammered him and didn’t let up. Black Cat with Honorary Avenger, Sky Cycle, Side Arm, and Inspired meant I was doing 6 damage a turn for sure and if I had get ready or command team it was 9.

Leadership Spidey works so good because he soaks all the hits, when he’s hurt you flip and Aunt May patches him right back up.

Loki is a slog though. He’s definitely not as “screw you” as Ronan is, but he just throws so much at you it’s a challenge to push through it. I’m glad I beat him again. So I know I can do it. I’ll probably see if my friend wants to run Campaign mode to make him easier to beat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CitizenKeen posted:

There was no "limit" on the number of cards you could have in a deck, only the limits you could have in a given pod. One notable Ewok pod had 4 of the same card in it. Others only had 1 copy but that card might also show up in 2 or 3 other pods. Some pods were 'Limit 1 per deck' so typically those cards would have 1 fairly powerful card that you'd only be able to have 1 copy of in your deck.

You could say that typically only have 2 copies of a card made the deck less consistent but only if you looked at it from the perspective of just needing to win with that one card. Darth Vader for example was a card that would make a big impact on the board, but would be the completely wrong drop against a deck like Hoth Speeders compared to a pair of Imperial Royal Guards.

Cards like Vader or Luke were certainly quite strong, but never unassailable to the opposition.

To say the games were less consistent would be true in the sense that you'd sometimes get those power cards early, sometimes late, infrequently never, but it didn't really matter because your deck should be able to win without them to some degree. It's just very counter to the mentality that most players have in games where the goal is to draw your power cards, or combo and win. It's not to say that Star Wars didn't have combo decks, or decks built around playing a main character, so it just requires you to approach the game from a different mindset.

I'll also make a point that drawing your second copy of a unique card did not lead to a scenario where one is dead because the large majority of unique cards also had good force icons which were necessary for winning edge battles.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Seeing this card in the War Machine pack...

My first thought...

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Lol, I have that card in my Spider-Man deck for Black Cat.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh, double posting but Hall of Heroes has Valkyrie spoilers out. They’ve upgraded Asgard characters like crazy with the Bifrost. Search your deck for as Asgard ally and play it (paying cost). You can do this in hero form and there is not a lack of Asgard allies.

Thor crazy good at this point.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bifrost is great but so is Godlike Stamina. O-cost Asgardian card that heals for 2 and gets rid of a status card as well. Between those, Smash The Problem, and Throg, some really amazing stuff that you can easily slot into a Thor deck. Honestly, Smash The Problem looks to be a really fantastic card if you need to thwart with Thor. He keeps getting so many great toys to play with and he'll be insanely good versus some of the newer modular decks and villains with their very nasty minions included.

I wish they'd just say gently caress it and re-do Hulk because he's just unsalvageable. I remember thinking Thor was tough to play initially but he's insanely viable and fun now, and is a great partner in two-player/2-hander games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My friend had a strange situation. He ordered his packs from Amazon and recentlt got Dr.Strange, Red Skull and Quicksilver. The former two were fine but the Quicksilver one had been opened and replaced with a bunch of random hero cards. I've heard repacking is an issue with buying Magic but repacking a Marvel Champions pack is baffling. Clearly the repacked didn't do their homework on the game and just assumed that the hero cards are more valuable or something?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I haven't been playing champions as much lately so I thought I'd wait on picking up War Machine...which lasted all of 30ish minutes now I guess I'm taking him for a ride tonight.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Picked up Red Hood but wasn’t able to take him for a spin yet. Checked with my shop and Valkyrie is listed as a release for next week. Looks like they’re going to take December off and then it’s Vision in January and Sinister Motives in Feb. They could even delay things further for shipping.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Valk is fun. For Aggro, you probably want the blaster pistol instead of her secondary spear. Minions are fodder.

Bifrost is probably better for Thor because he can take lady Sif. Valk only has three valid targets, four if you include Heimdall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden Bee posted:

Valk is fun. For Aggro, you probably want the blaster pistol instead of her secondary spear. Minions are fodder.

Bifrost is probably better for Thor because he can take lady Sif. Valk only has three valid targets, four if you include Heimdall.

If you run aggression there's five if you include Heimdall

Throg
Thor (Odinson)
Thor (Jane Foster)
Angela
Heimdall

I think the aggression four would probably be enough though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I forgot Angela was Asgard, I normally associate her with playing on my guardian decks, but bifrost puts her into play for free once around your deck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Valkyrie seems to really like fighting minions too so it feels like a really solid combo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have the following for the Game of Thrones LCG (2nd ED):

Core
Taking the Black
The Road to Winterfell
The King’s Peace
No Middle Ground
Wolves of the North
Calm over Westeros
Across the Seven Kingdoms

I notice my LGS is doing some sales on the expansions, and I’m missing quite a lot actually, I also noticed there’s been no further expansions since early 2020, was it dropped?

Are any of the sets I don’t have worth it? Do I really need to buy another core set or something like people suggested with Netrunner? (Which I also have a not-complete set of…)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 16, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They said they would do more with some occasional big box expansions after 2020 but they killed it.

I have a full complete collection that includes 3 cores that I never play. I’d be willing to sell it off but I’m in Canada and shipping would be pricey. Let me know if your interested.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I’ve been trying to see where they said they were dropping it, but I couldn’t find anything, where did you see that?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

They said they would do more with some occasional big box expansions after 2020 but they killed it.

I have a full complete collection that includes 3 cores that I never play. I’d be willing to sell it off but I’m in Canada and shipping would be pricey. Let me know if your interested.

Where do you order your MC stuff from?

Hood and War Machine are apparently MIA in the UK places I get and I see that Valkyrie is out in others.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I’ve been trying to see where they said they were dropping it, but I couldn’t find anything, where did you see that?

FFG dropped all their competitive card games except Keyforge which is currently on hiatus. I don't know if they lost the rights to aGoT or not, but the competitive scene kind of dried up and the last pack released was kind of a "make good" on all the cards that would have been designed by players and/or were awaited cards from the previous version. So that announcement was kind of like "We aren't printing anything more for this game now, and probably never will but who knows."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The news announcement for the last pack (late 2019) talks about "a new release strategy" but they have been radio silent since then and the community assumes it's dead. There have been words on getting a NESEI like organization together to support the game like Netrunner, but not much news there either.

Edit: I lied! I looked a bit more and they announced a fan expansion LITERALLY YESTERDAY.

https://agot.cards

Carteret fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 16, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Hood and War Machine are apparently MIA in the UK places I get and I see that Valkyrie is out in others.

Yeah, FFG's releases are all over the place at the moment. I was hoping to import the new Arkham Horror campaign box and bundle the Hood/WM (and Valkyrie) packs from the UK because that's where the investigator box showed up first, but now the UK has Valkyrie but none of the others, and Canada has all of them except Valkyrie, and I can't find any retailer there that will ship internationally.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They haven’t officially said it but it’s been two years and at this point it’s all been fans doing their own errata which I think had input from people who were designing the game. It’s dead. If they had any sort of plans to do anything with it they would have said something but with the pandemic and how the final season of the TV show killed any interest.

I bet if they ever go back to it, it’s gonna be a hard reboot. Game of Thrones LCG 3.0, lol.

PaybackJack posted:

Where do you order your MC stuff from?

My local shop is really good about getting it in. They’ve rarely been behind. If I ever do have to order something, the place I order from is great boardgames.ca, they’re really good on pricing but they suck about shipping as they’ll usually sit on an order for almost 4 days before it goes out. When it goes it’s been fast.

If anyone here is desperate for packs I’m more than willing to buy and ship them at cost.

Carteret posted:

The news announcement for the last pack (late 2019) talks about "a new release strategy" but they have been radio silent since then and the community assumes it's dead. There have been words on getting a NESEI like organization together to support the game like Netrunner, but not much news there either.

Edit: I lied! I looked a bit more and they announced a fan expansion LITERALLY YESTERDAY.

https://agot.cards

I hate to be a downer, but I’m not a fan of fan made, stuff like that assault keyword just seems like a bad idea.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I hate to be a downer, but I’m not a fan of fan made, stuff like that assault keyword just seems like a bad idea.

You aren't. I really like what NISEI has done, but generally fan made stuff especially for Marvel just isn't my jam.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fan made stuff for a game that's still in production? Not interested.

Individuals-as-fans making stuff is too much chaff to wade through, not interested.

Glad to hear there's a committee for AGOT-as-NISEI, though. I think having things go through a group process is usually a good idea.

A vast majority of Marvel fan-made stuff is hot garbage or worse. The community seems to be focusing a bit on creating some "official homebrew community-endorsed" committee type stuff, which is good to see. Though still a waste of time for a game that's actively supported.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm going to give my thumbs up for NISEI stuff as well. Their revised/reboot core set that came out a while back was pretty great and I was pretty close to getting a copy printed before MC jumped off for me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Individuals-as-fans making stuff is too much chaff to wade through, not interested.

Glad to hear there's a committee for AGOT-as-NISEI, though. I think having things go through a group process is usually a good idea.

A vast majority of Marvel fan-made stuff is hot garbage or worse. The community seems to be focusing a bit on creating some "official homebrew community-endorsed" committee type stuff, which is good to see. Though still a waste of time for a game that's actively supported.

The official homebrew thing was well established in early 2019. If you have a creator to create something good, they probably created five or six (or 10!)?other things that are good, either other characters, aspects or villains. And if someone made something bad, don’t look at their other stuff. It’s not like you’re looking for hay in a needle stack.

Rainy, designhacker, NeBookworm, ekaugust, embitteredsoul. Those five people have put out nearly as much content as the official game company.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Golden Bee posted:

The official homebrew thing was well established in early 2019. If you have a creator to create something good, they probably created five or six (or 10!)?other things that are good, either other characters, aspects or villains. And if someone made something bad, don’t look at their other stuff. It’s not like you’re looking for hay in a needle stack.

Rainy, designhacker, NeBookworm, ekaugust, embitteredsoul. Those five people have put out nearly as much content as the official game company.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. I just know I've started getting @everybody pings on Discord in the last week or two; I'll admit I didn't look too closely. I have no need of homebrew stuff for a game that's putting out a new deck every month when I still haven't played enough of the official stuff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

Counterpoint based on second-hand experience, but I heard there are a few very good to great fan-made Arkham Horror LCG campaigns. I'd get them printed, but they're like $90. I'd rather have stuff that's been vetted by the community though, I also don't want want to relive the days where I downloaded dozens of Doom WADs just to find one that was remotely fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Counterpoint based on second-hand experience, but I heard there are a few very good to great fan-made Arkham Horror LCG campaigns. I'd get them printed, but they're like $90. I'd rather have stuff that's been vetted by the community though, I also don't want want to relive the days where I downloaded dozens of Doom WADs just to find one that was remotely fun.

A lot of them are crap, but I’ve got nothing but love for call of the plague bearer, cyclopean foundations, Alice in Wonderland, dark matter, and although it will never be finished, idol thoughts.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Tried the Hood today.

He is VERY swingy. First game we got crushed. Got a first round Shadows of the Past because of the Hood’s ability because of the first stage when revealed. The encounter sets added just put in seriously rough encounters and we eventually just got rolled.

We tried again swapping one of the random sets with bomb scare just to make the random selection maybe a bit nicer. Well, we got it as our first set. Then we also had him discard his own cards first rounds for his effect. So no extra boosts. We had another encounter get added but because we didn’t get bum rushed right at the beginning we could hold our own no problem.

Hood is going to be one of the most swingy encounters out there. Depending on how your opening goes and what sets you draw you will either have one of the hardest encounters in the game or it will be incredibly mild.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I also got first round shadows. Rough stuff!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Finally upped the ante and beat Mutagen Formula on heroic difficulty. Leadership Scarlet Witch and Agression Quicksilver get things done.

Mid game Quicksilver was defeating three goblin minions each round while also slowly setting up his combo. During the final round he had the capability to deal over 60 damage so we completely avoided his third stage's additional encounter cards. But yes, Green Goblin was regularly getting 3-4 minions which was terrifying. He got a hysteria we couldn't afford to remove while setting up that gave him extra goblins from boost abilities. Extra goblins that got to immediately attack did a lot of damage over the course of the scenario.

Allies that draw cards and regroup are possibly too strong together. Nick Fury let's you play White Tiger. White Tiger let's you play Maria Hill or Iron Heart or Kaluu. If you draw any double resources you end up further ahead and get to set up a bit as well. Multiple hex bolts per turn as well. Some rounds Green Goblin would get four or five attacks but it just wouldn't matter. Here is the deck that bought Quicksilver enough time to set up his combo: https://marvelcdb.com/deck/view/221694

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 21, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Most of the good infinite combos still come through Nick fury.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I got Valkyrie in and I just noticed an issue
with her obligation. It specifically says on the card to give it to the Brunnhilde player and does not say Valkyrie. What happens if you’re in hero form? The card doesn’t let you flip.

I have to assume that it should be give to the “Brunnhilde/Valkyrie” player or else the card technically would just fizzle out

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’re still technically that player, your forms are connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I looked at previous obligations and yeah, that makes sense. I never really thought of it that way because your allowed to flip to alter ego. With Valkyrie’s obligation it’s an attachment and so it caused me to consider it.