Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

No one in Japan gives a poo poo about it and totally expects it. I mean, there's a Full Metal Alchemist film being made there where everyone from the blonde haired blue eyed protagonist to the vaguely Arabic anti-hero is played by Japanese people.

I saw that too and it's got me scratching my head because "Is the last Japanese person and thus is automatically a genetically perfect giantkilling badass" is the entire character sketch of the main character's best friend

but now they're all Japanese, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SlimGoodbody posted:

I saw that too and it's got me scratching my head because "Is the last Japanese person and thus is automatically a genetically perfect giantkilling badass" is the entire character sketch of the main character's best friend

but now they're all Japanese, so

That's Attack on Titan, but yeah, that too.

Of course, that's all a result of Japan being so drat low on non-Asians, whereas there's really no reason the Hollywood Major couldn't also be played by, say, a black girl, or indeed, an Asian-American, but that's technically a separate issue.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I thought the fma movie was a US production? Although they could use a few non Japanese actors I suppose.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

WickedHate posted:

No one in Japan gives a poo poo about it and totally expects it. I mean, there's a Full Metal Alchemist film being made there where everyone from the blonde haired blue eyed protagonist to the vaguely Arabic anti-hero is played by Japanese people.
"Japan did it too!" is usually not the best pull if you're trying to say something isn't racist.

At any rate it's not about Japan being offended. It's about Asian actors being denied opportunities and Asian filmgoers being deprived of representation in American cinema.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kingtheninja posted:

I thought the fma movie was a US production? Although they could use a few non Japanese actors I suppose.

Nope, which is at least half why the fevered masturbation over it's all Japanese cast in tumblr circles was dumb.

mango sentinel posted:

At any rate it's not about Japan being offended. It's about Asian actors being denied opportunities and Asian filmgoers being deprived of representation in American cinema.

Yeah, but as an adaption I don't think it's a great example of white washing, as opposed to the time Gwen Stacy from the Amazing Spider-Man movies played a Hawaiian, or the white Egyptian gods in Forgettable Epic Fantasy #3235.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe the real racists are the people who won't let white people have their own cinema like everyone else gets, huh? HUH?

Make Hollywood great again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Those of you asking on the last page, Strange is looking at an estimate of $43M on its second weekend which is about a 49% drop. One of the lowest drops of any Marvel movie. It's also on pace to hit $100M in China and is currently sitting at about $490M worldwide. So the movie is doing very well for a Marvel solo flick.

Box Office Mojo posted:

Dropping only 49% in its second weekend, Disney and Marvel's Doctor Strange delivered an impressive $43 million in its second weekend as the film's domestic gross climbs to over $153 million in just ten days of release. Among Marvel's single-character intro features this is the second fastest title to top $150 million domestically, behind only 2008's Iron Man. Additionally, Strange's 49% second weekend drop is the best second weekend hold among the last ten Marvel Cinematic Universe titles.

Strange also added an estimated $60.2 million internationally bringing its overseas total to $339.6 million, passing the lifetime international cumes of The Incredible Hulk ($129m), Captain America: The First Avenger ($194m), Iron Man ($266m), Thor ($268m), Iron Man 2 ($310m) and Ant-Man ($339m). Overall, Strange's worldwide gross is now just shy of $500 million.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 13, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jumping into the Ghost in the Shell whitewashing chat (because I enjoy hurting myself): am I the only one who thinks they're going somewhere with the racial stuff? I don't think they'd have kept the character's name as Motoko Kusanagi, while having ScarJo play her, unless they had something up their sleeve with it. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they make it explicit that she's a Japanese brain inhabiting a white robot body, and do something with that.

But then again the movie honestly looks really loving bad and dumb so they might have just not thought it through at all. :smith:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Got around to seeing Doctor Strange. I'll be the 5 millionth person to praise the visuals and mildly drat the screenplay. Reminiscent of the original Iron Man, sure, and also a little of Star Trek '09 in that the protagonist kind of keeps failing upwards to get him into his mature hero role at the end of the movie. And again we seem to have an ending that's a deliberate anti-Man of Steel in that a city is destroyed offscreen, and we see the hero reverse it. Curious what Marvel now wants to do with the character - there's the sequel hook, but I always kind of liked Strange more as a guest in another hero's story, like when Spider-Man bumps into a magic guy he can't handle and Doctor Strange shows up to help out. Seems like they're planning to do both.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just saw Strange yesterday, and really enjoyed it, but I had one silly question. I don't really think it's spoilers so, full speed ahead.

On the night of the accident (which was awesome in that terrible way), strange picks out the fancy watch (one of about a dozen, equally fancy, but different looking watches he owns). When he goes to Tibet, that is the watch he has with him, his "last possession".

I can get why he held on to that one specific watch, (actually, no I can't. The sentimentality seems forced on cold, logical, pre-enlightnement Strange. Especially if it was the same one from the accident) but are we to believe that this same watch survived that hand mangling accident, but then gets destroyed in a minor scuffle? Or was it one of those "this shows he has a shred of decency/humility/love and is thus worthy of redemption"?

I do kind of hope that someone somewhere makes a VR experience of what Strange went through. I mean, I've seen a few simpler VR programs that lead you through weird audio/visual environments; usually slower and mellower. But a ride along, in first person, narrated by Tilda Swinton, through the kaleidoscope of the multi-verse, and ending up with a glimpse of the dark dimension could be a literal mind-blowing experience.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think the watch got mangled in the accident, and the muggers didn't really know or care.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

CzarChasm posted:

Just saw Strange yesterday, and really enjoyed it, but I had one silly question. I don't really think it's spoilers so, full speed ahead.

On the night of the accident (which was awesome in that terrible way), strange picks out the fancy watch (one of about a dozen, equally fancy, but different looking watches he owns). When he goes to Tibet, that is the watch he has with him, his "last possession".

I can get why he held on to that one specific watch, (actually, no I can't. The sentimentality seems forced on cold, logical, pre-enlightnement Strange. Especially if it was the same one from the accident) but are we to believe that this same watch survived that hand mangling accident, but then gets destroyed in a minor scuffle? Or was it one of those "this shows he has a shred of decency/humility/love and is thus worthy of redemption"?

I do kind of hope that someone somewhere makes a VR experience of what Strange went through. I mean, I've seen a few simpler VR programs that lead you through weird audio/visual environments; usually slower and mellower. But a ride along, in first person, narrated by Tilda Swinton, through the kaleidoscope of the multi-verse, and ending up with a glimpse of the dark dimension could be a literal mind-blowing experience.

It was broken before the mugging. Also did you miss the part where he looks at the inscription and it was given to him by Rachel McAdams?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Plus its heavily implied that Strange has basically sold everything he had in the time.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jumping into the Ghost in the Shell whitewashing chat (because I enjoy hurting myself): am I the only one who thinks they're going somewhere with the racial stuff? I don't think they'd have kept the character's name as Motoko Kusanagi, while having ScarJo play her, unless they had something up their sleeve with it. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they make it explicit that she's a Japanese brain inhabiting a white robot body, and do something with that.

In all versions of GitS the major is shown to have an entire collection of bodies that she can switch between and even control several at the same time. It would be stupidly simple to have scene showing this and giving a valid excuse as to why the Major is using her "ScarJo" body.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

But then again the movie honestly looks really loving bad and dumb so they might have just not thought it through at all. :smith:

This. It seems like they are introducing some sort of cliche hidden past plot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MH Knights posted:

In all versions of GitS the major is shown to have an entire collection of bodies that she can switch between and even control several at the same time. It would be stupidly simple to have scene showing this and giving a valid excuse as to why the Major is using her "ScarJo" body.

Well that won't be too difficult.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe the real racists are the people who won't let white people have their own cinema like everyone else gets, huh? HUH?

Make Hollywood great again.

I've always loved you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, but as an adaption I don't think it's a great example of white washing, as opposed to the time Gwen Stacy from the Amazing Spider-Man movies played a Hawaiian, or the white Egyptian gods in Forgettable Epic Fantasy #3235.

Maybe those were ptolomaic dynasty gods :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Got around to seeing Doctor Strange. I'll be the 5 millionth person to praise the visuals and mildly drat the screenplay. Reminiscent of the original Iron Man, sure, and also a little of Star Trek '09 in that the protagonist kind of keeps failing upwards to get him into his mature hero role at the end of the movie. And again we seem to have an ending that's a deliberate anti-Man of Steel in that a city is destroyed offscreen, and we see the hero reverse it. Curious what Marvel now wants to do with the character - there's the sequel hook, but I always kind of liked Strange more as a guest in another hero's story, like when Spider-Man bumps into a magic guy he can't handle and Doctor Strange shows up to help out. Seems like they're planning to do both.

Apprarently that's what is happening to the character, starting with his appearance in the new Thor movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should do some more team up movies. Like Why not a Vision and Scarlet Witch movie?

I need to stop watching these fan casting videos, because some are pretty good and I'm sad we'll probably never see it. But Tom Hardy as Doom? I think the fan casting of him being Wolverine is a better choice.

I do like the idea of Grant Gustin as Johnny Storm.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

twistedmentat posted:

They should do some more team up movies. Like Why not a Vision and Scarlet Witch movie?

That is apparently part of the plan for Phase 4.

Quoting myself from Kevin Feige's interview about the state of the MCU going forward:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kevin Feige just laid out the vision for the MCU going forward. The big takeaways:

- Infinity War will be the last "big" movie for years.
- Doctor Strange, Thor 3, Civil War, and Ant-Man are the models going forward. "Intimate" character stories and unexpected team ups.
- No more world ending or doomsday scenarios.
- Each phase of the MCU is going to introduce new characters. "Something" will be done with Blade, but not until at least 2019.
- Phase 4 slate and character announcements next year.
- Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female.
- Zendaya confirmed as Mary Jane.
- No word yet on how involved Marvel will be with Spider-Man after Homecoming. Marvel is looking to stay involved though and discussions are going to be happening after the release.
- Might not see a solo movie for the original avengers for several years.
- Inhumans is still happening. Rumors that it is permanently canned are not true. It "will happen for sure." But won't commit to a release date.
- There are 3 unannounced MCU movies earmarked for 2020. (May 1, July 10, and November 6). They'll be announced sometime in 2017.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 14, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

But Tom Hardy as Doom?

Lets just straight up star was this and have James Earl Jones as doom's voice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhymenoserous posted:

He's 85. Best to find someone who will be around for a sequel or two.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Once you establish it's jej, then you can get a sound alike or use another prominent voice actor like Johnny Yong Bosch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't they modulate Vader's voice in the last prequel anyways?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is apparently part of the plan for Phase 4.

Quoting myself from Kevin Feige's interview about the state of the MCU going forward:

I misread that as being a response to the second part, not the part about team up movies. But yea, i like the idea that world ending stuff is saved for the big event films, and the character ones tend to be smaller, more personal stories. Why I still think Captain Marvel will be about her vs Moonstone, with Karla being a jealous rival rather than someone wanting to take over the world or something.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've always said Michael Shannon would be a perfect Doom. The eyes, and he can go from sounding perfectly rational to insane madman in a second. Hardy as Wolverine I can totally be down with. A long as he gets at least one of his classic costumes. Okay you don't like yellow, then tan and brown.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regular Victor can be whoever you want, but Dr. Doom needs to be either someone bigger or the Victor actor embiggened with CG and the mask needs to be CG. A physical mask will never make the eyes as prominent as they need to be because the eyes will be too deep-set and obscured.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they modulate Vader's voice in the last prequel anyways?

It was still James Earl Jones, and he'll be voicing him in Rogue One.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It was still James Earl Jones, and he'll be voicing him in Rogue One.

I could have sworn they modulated cry-baby's voice for that one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I could have sworn they modulated cry-baby's voice for that one.

Christensen was in the suit, but Jones did the voice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He's also been playing him in his appearances on Star Wars Rebels

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think JEJ being pretty dang old is part of why that "NYAOOOOoooooh" sounded so bad. He's not young enough to really throw some painful, desperate gravel into it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

At least he's doing a pretty great job in Rebels.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906

INHUMANS IS COMING TO THEATERS NEXT YEAR!

It's a tv show and after screening two eps it'll air on ABC (replacing AoS?)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906

INHUMANS IS COMING TO THEATERS NEXT YEAR!

It's a tv show and after screening two eps it'll air on ABC (replacing AoS?)
I knew it was never going to become an actual movie. I'm very surprised that it's coming out this soon though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well Vin Diesel ain't getting any younger~

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige was saying last week that "it [an Inhumans Movie] will happen, for sure" at some point.

So, I wonder if that still applies.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder if Kamala Khan is going to get a shout out in the Captain Marvel movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At some Q&A this weekend, the Deadpool writers apparently said they needed Marvel's permission to change Negasonic's power set, and that Fox gave Marvel Ego the Living Planet back in exchange.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
These illicit comic book character business exchanges will never stop being a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I wonder if that's a bigger insult to Negasonic or Ego.

• Locked thread