Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Tons, but most are free. Here is what I currently have installed and maybe one or two are on oculus home but most aren't

accounting
blueshift
budget cuts demo
climbey
google earth vr
job simulator
ironwolf vr
the lab
lunar flight
onward
pavlov vr
portal stories vr
waltz of the wizard
house of the dying sun
vanishing realms
obduction
surgeon simulator meet the medic vr

steamvr is absolutely worth installing and setting up even just for the bunch of freebies. chaperone tweak is pretty much mandatory though.

Awesome, thanks for the list! It looks like I'll be pretty well covered with free stuff to start off. I do plan to buy Superhot first thing, since I've been waiting to play it until I had a headset. I'll probably pick up Elite Dangerous pretty soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So I hear the performance on Obduction is horrible even on low settings with a GTX 1080. Also it used the deferred renderer with Unreal Engine so everything shimmers and anti aliasing doesn't function right. Nice work Cyan.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I do plan to buy Superhot first thing, since I've been waiting to play it until I had a headset.

Superhot VR is a totally separate product and purchase from Superhot. Superhot VR is awesome although very short. No opinion on Superhot.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Any must-haves on Steam that aren't on Oculus Home?

Also:

Destinations
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
The Cubicle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stick100 posted:

Superhot VR is a totally separate product and purchase from Superhot. Superhot VR is awesome although very short. No opinion on Superhot.

Superhot non-VR is also an extremely good product, if you can tear yourself away from VR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Also:
Holopoint
Swordmaster VR

And Until a week ago Raw Data

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

Also:
Holopoint

Maybe it was just my personal preference but I didn't like Holopoint at all. Felt very low quality & crashes every time I close it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

iceaim posted:

So I hear the performance on Obduction is horrible even on low settings with a GTX 1080. Also it used the deferred renderer with Unreal Engine so everything shimmers and anti aliasing doesn't function right. Nice work Cyan.

Hey, they managed to program the most popular cdrom game of all time in loving Hypercard, show some respect!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

iceaim posted:

Is this new with the controller update? When I played it before (from the Oculus store) with a gamepad I don't remember any particularly bad performance, and I've got a 970.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played with a gamepad in VR when it came out. It had a lot of slowdown that seemed to be saved by ATW but it still started to make my head swim. I have a 1070.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I probably pre-emptively set all the display options to minimum also, but I don't remember clearly. Was that an option?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm interested as well, as some people were saying there's better performance in this update.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I keep being tempted to get Obduction until I remember that it's actually a hardcore puzzle game that I would never finish and not just a neat walking simulator.

PS, can we get some more VR walking sims pleeeease

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

I keep being tempted to get Obduction until I remember that it's actually a hardcore puzzle game that I would never finish and not just a neat walking simulator.

They should combine photogrammetry and Google Street View to create a "go outside and walk" simulator... I'd play that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

They should combine photogrammetry and Google Street View to create a "go outside and walk" simulator... I'd play that.

I have been wanting that for my Virtuix Omni.

That and the ability to walk around with proper hand tracking of stuff in games like Skyrim or Fallout. Hopefully Fallout VR gets done correctly to allow that. :)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

You can sort of do that in Google Earth VR, although things get very low res.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AndrewP posted:

If you cheat and look up all the answers it's a walking simulator.

Speaking of walking simulators, Eagle Flight's free flight mode is pretty great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone hacked MS Flight Sim or another real world flight sim to work in VR yet?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Has anyone hacked MS Flight Sim or another real world flight sim to work in VR yet?
https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That looks promising! Anyone here use it? I should probably search for the flight sim thread and ask about it there.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I keep forgetting to give that a try. Figure it might take a good bit of setup but I could be wrong.

That paired with one of the apps that make the ground textures actual map data from Google/Bing really makes flying great in FSX.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

That looks promsing! Anyone here use it? I should probably search for the flight sim thread and ask about it there.
I've played the demo and have been meaning to get around to buying it, its pretty good but FSX sometimes has a hard time keeping up especially if you have a bunch of add ons. ATW helps a lot though. It has a great UI also, it doesn't feel at all like a hack.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does it support motion controls now? Last I looked at it I wanted to use it with the Leap Motion, but I have yet to get a good way to mount the thing on a CV1.

Need to build a CV1 compatible mount and 3D print it, but yea.. Time and design skills need to be obtained.

*well looks like there are 2 on Thingverse that I might need to try. Hmm.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 23, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does it support motion controls now? Last I looked at it I wanted to use it with the Leap Motion, but I have yet to get a good way to mount the thing on a CV1.

Need to build a CV1 compatible mount and 3D print it, but yea.. Time and design skills need to be obtained.

It supports Vive controllers, idk about Touch.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CC46XY4/

Double-sided tape from hell, this will work.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I've used Flyinside with both FSX and Prepar3D. Works great, was really awesome flying a Cessna and being able to lean out the window. Also neat to start sitting and then stand - you clip above the roof of the plane and can look all around. (maybe don't try it if you get nauseous)

I haven't tried the Leap Motion integration (although I own one). Leap Motion sells a VR mount: https://store-us.leapmotion.com/products/universal-vr-mount-pre-order

The Flyinside dev is working on Touch support, it's mentioned on their News page: https://flyinside-fsx.com/News

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Lemming posted:

Is this new with the controller update? When I played it before (from the Oculus store) with a gamepad I don't remember any particularly bad performance, and I've got a 970.

This is new with the Touch controller update. Works with both Vive Motion Controls and Oculus Touch. Basically both Vive users and Oculus users are reporting bad performance after the update.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 24, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have FSX on Steam, how complicated would setting it up be? And are the planes even detailed enough to flip all the switches?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

iceaim posted:

This is new with the Touch controller update. Works with both Vive Motion Controls and Oculus Touch. Basically both Vive users and Oculus users are reporting bad performance after the update.
Devs have responded, though not very helpfully : https://uploadvr.com/obduction-vive-performance/

In that reddit post I linked above someone with a 1080 said one of the new Nvidia options was slowing things down a lot, maybe that's contributing to some peoples' poor performance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hannibal posted:

I've used Flyinside with both FSX and Prepar3D. Works great, was really awesome flying a Cessna and being able to lean out the window. Also neat to start sitting and then stand - you clip above the roof of the plane and can look all around. (maybe don't try it if you get nauseous)

I haven't tried the Leap Motion integration (although I own one). Leap Motion sells a VR mount: https://store-us.leapmotion.com/products/universal-vr-mount-pre-order

You should, all you need is some double sided tape or velcro.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any studies on the effectiveness of ginger root/extract on reducing VR motion sickness ? I know in general it works for motion sickness, however I feel I will likely need it once I get my setup up and running. I'd rather use something like ginger over Benadryl or whatever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SwissCM posted:

You should, all you need is some double sided tape or velcro.
I used tac to hold it so as not to damage / mar my rift, and I'd recommend others do the same because that double sided tape is never coming off cleanly. If you hit ? by my name, the first post is what I used.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

jonathan posted:

Is there any studies on the effectiveness of ginger root/extract on reducing VR motion sickness ? I know in general it works for motion sickness, however I feel I will likely need it once I get my setup up and running. I'd rather use something like ginger over Benadryl or whatever.

Ginger has been shown to be effective at treating motion sickness. Not sure if there's been any super stringent double blind medical trials or anything, but the VR community seems to be in agreement, and there's been a good amount of casual research:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html

I'd say try it out and see if it works for you! Worst case scenario is you have some pretty good hard candies on hand.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

App13 posted:

Ginger has been shown to be effective at treating motion sickness. Not sure if there's been any super stringent double blind medical trials or anything, but the VR community seems to be in agreement, and there's been a good amount of casual research:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html

I'd say try it out and see if it works for you! Worst case scenario is you have some pretty good hard candies on hand.

there was that mythbusters episode that seemed pretty conclusive. On the plus side, I'm mostly interested in racing sims which apparently are the least puke inducing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh drat, just saw that Oculus shipped the headset with signature required for delivery. Guess I'm taking the afternoon off! Just glad I noticed now and not when I got home to a note on my door.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Oculus did also have Bowls of Ginger Candy Chews on hand at the Oculus Event last year in SF right before the launch of CV1 and Vive.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jonathan posted:

You might be surprised, people seem to develop VR Legs pretty quickly. Also we are starting to get games with multiple locomotion options. I've personally very rarely had any significant motion sickness even with low frame rates and doing incredibly stupid things.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I went through a kilo of ginger chews this year working past my VR sickness. I can't say if it was placebo or not but it does make me feel a little better. I don't really feel bad any more but I don't know if it's because have have "VR legs" or I have roomscale options now and avoid the worst offenders.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

DrBox posted:

I went through a kilo of ginger chews this year working past my VR sickness. I can't say if it was placebo or not but it does make me feel a little better. I don't really feel bad any more but I don't know if it's because have have "VR legs" or I have roomscale options now and avoid the worst offenders.

I think its a little bit of having 'VR legs' and a little bit of avoiding the worst offenders.
I can (and frequently) play Onward and Pavlov, both of which have full joystick movement, for long periods of time and they have no effect on me, its just like playing a regular 2D FPS. Onward has both snap joystick/roomscale turning, and Pavlov only has roomscale turning (irl turning).
However, I play 30 minutes of Pulsar: Lost Colony, which has smooth joystick turning / roomscale turning and two things can set me off towards feeling a little funny. One is smooth joystick turning, the other is when the starship is doing a roll (also smooth) while I am piloting or manning a turret. I had a similar issue with Elite Dangerous and doing a roll. Getting the kind of motion, especially yaw or roll rotations, seems to be critical towards preventing issues.

If there any developers out there working on a VR game that has smooth joystick turn/roll, you are a bad person, stop doing that. If you still think you aren't a bad person, at least put in a configurable option for snap turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So, uhh, VR is pretty loving cool.

e: I have to go shopping for a new light fixture now. I've punched the ceiling fan in my office half a dozen times already. bye bye ceiling fan.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 25, 2017