Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I said don't make me choose between him and my friends because I'm picking my friends every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
She deleted that post and her reddit account because she wasn't getting the answers she wanted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just make it up to him at his next white coat ceremony.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, getting yelled at by the folks you're on the trip with is a fun new wrinkle, I was expecting the usual story of them helping convince OP that the trip would be more important to go on.

lol

quote:

We live together. I missed his sister’s baby shower but that’s the only thing I remember him being upset about

Not even the first time. She's dumped.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I just hope she understands that she no longer has a boyfriend. Jesus that was loving harsh.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I love that wedding pints man went out and got hammered anyway and STILL had the tumerity to venmo over a bill anyway

loving lol

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

idiotsavant posted:

He's a passive aggressive weeny for the dippy invoice poo poo but he's not wrong to be pissed off about it. If anything maybe people want to know that it'll be a dry wedding so they don't pre-game, cause showing up already lit to a sober wedding is a little loving awkward

that's a real good point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You really shouldn't need to tell your friends not to show up drunk to the reception, let alone the ceremony.

kru posted:

I love that wedding pints man went out and got hammered anyway and STILL had the tumerity to venmo over a bill anyway
That's what makes it odd to me. He wanted to hire a babysitter so he could stay out drinking, and that's what he did. All he's really out is the cost of the drinks he had after the reception, and since he pregamed in the hotel bar, it can't matter that much to him. It's like the only thing that really bothers him is having to be sober for like 2 or 3 hours tops.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Internetjack posted:

No one got poo poo-faced. They didn't have a clue.

They absolutely knew, and I say that as someone who would’ve been making the periodic “discreet” trips to the parking lot. They just didn’t care enough to say anything

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my wife's friends I make more money than her?

quote:

I, 25M, am married to my wife, Sasha, 28F. She comes from a pretty wealthy background while I decidedly do not. My dad left before I was born and my mum died when I was 11. I've mostly 'gotten over it', as much as one can, 'get over' something like that. However I'm still sensitive on any so called 'jokes' on that.

I graduated summa cum laude, and went straight into investment banking. I met my wife when I was 23, and fresh into it, but after 3 years I earn pretty well. My wife is a lawyer. Now I love my wife and she loves me (obviously) but her family hatess me. Like from the depths of their souls, hates me. I've been called a gold-digger, a low-life and a few more vague insults on my table-manners.

I went to a 'party' with her the other day, one of those fancy shmancy things where everyone drinks cHaMpAgNe and complains about this that and the other, talking about oh we spent sOoOOo much money on renovations, *gasp*. And I got the usual mild comments from wife's family and close friends on where my wife 'picked' me up from.

Lacy, I don't think, knew about my family history before. We were talking about dads, don't ask me why and I got a question on what my dad did, I said I didn't know, never met the guy. Lacy made this kind of exaggerated gasp and went 'oohh, well we all know why you're with her [my wife] then don't we?'

I acted all confused and she got flustered, and just kept going with 'well... you know'. My wife tried to move the conversation along but by this point I wasn't letting it go, I kept pushing, and pushing until Lacy finally said, 'well you two don't exactly have the same... finances do you' and then responded with, you're right. I make quite some more.

Lacy by this point was too embarrassed to keep going, I'd kind of ruined the vibe, but the night continued, this isn't the kind of event you walk away from. We went home, which was when poo poo genuinely went down. She told me it was crazy of me to keep pushing on that point and turn one comment into one of them most embarrassing moments of her life and now everyone in her circle must think she's some kind of failure to earn so much less than her husband, and I'd ruined everything.

But its not like I lied. I'm just tired of being treated like poo poo in her circle. My wife is upset though, and I do care about her, so I need to know, AITA?

You're such an a-hole! You let everyone know I make less than the person everyone looks down on for being a pleebe!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
It makes me sad to think of the no-contact dude coming home to seeing his mother in his loving room, next to his smiling idiot wife. God what a betrayal

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would never feel safe around my partner again. She lied to both of them for months in order to pull that poo poo.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Chewbecca posted:

It makes me sad to think of the no-contact dude coming home to seeing his mother in his loving room, next to his smiling idiot wife. God what a betrayal

The loving room is the most sacred room in the house, i think

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
its just a wordfilter, you're allowed to say loving room if you log in

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Odd posted:

The loving room is the most sacred room in the house, i think

For a second there I thought I had accidentally logged out and that it was the word filter.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
:sweatdrop:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my wife's friends I make more money than her?

I really don't like the wife here because it seems to me that the only reason this has gone on so long is because she's not defended OP at all. I'm torn between she's the AH and ESH because the only proper way to talk about household income with civility is to not discuss it outside of the household.

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would never feel safe around my partner again. She lied to both of them for months in order to pull that poo poo.

Yeah, I would just leave. Gone. Can buy new stuff, can get new phone number.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It's cathartic to think that, but I didn't get the impression that she's vindictive, and the "decent enough husband" might be able to convince her.

Either way, I feel better writing that out. I can't say I wouldn't follow the same path as the grieving father.

Edit: stepbrother hand halfbrother are two separate things, durr

She called for the money before the funeral was even scheduled. To ask for the money for a kid who is a stranger to him. That alone is pretty hosed.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for suspending stepdaughters phone service after a prank friends pulled on her caused the police to come to our house late at night?

quote:

Stepdaughter has been involved in the Junior and Senior tag. Some kids recklessly drove in front of our house close to midnight last night. My stepdaughter happened to be outside supposedly walking the dog (even though she never does that willingly). Some boys run into our yard to tag her then get back in their car and drive off.

My wife and I have now clue what’s going on. When we asked our stepdaughter, she lies saying she didn’t know who they were or what they were going. The neighbors ended up calling the police bc they heard screaming, plus the car squeal off, and were concerned. The police show up to our house and my stepdaughter tells the truth about the prank. I’m furious. My wife is delicate in her disciplining.

Previously when I’ve made suggestions i.e. no phone or not allowing her to do something she really wants to do, she always makes an excuse to not punish her. I have stopped giving input. I decided to suspend her cell phone service since she lied about the incident and caused such a scene. I didn’t tell my wife. My wife is now furious with me for suspending the phone line TLDR: teenage prank caused police to come to house at midnight, stepdaughter lied about knowing. I suspended my stepdaughters phone service as punishment, now the wife is furious with me
The wiener is embarrassed that the neighbors saw the cops show up so SOMEONE has to be punished. I am surprised he didn't complain about being emasculated too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

windex posted:

I really don't like the wife here because it seems to me that the only reason this has gone on so long is because she's not defended OP at all. I'm torn between she's the AH and ESH because the only proper way to talk about household income with civility is to not discuss it outside of the household.
I'm a little confused as to what she gets out of her friendship with this circle of...people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a little confused as to what she gets out of her friendship with this circle of...people.

You're asking what a rich person in her 20s gets out of her friendship with other rich people? lol? The same thing every rich person gets when they hang out with exclusively rich people: an unearned, insecure sense of elitism. They're all terrified of being made fun of, or being perceived as less-than, and so they try to dunk on poors all the time.

It's kinda like the thing rich people do. Just in-groups of in-groups of in-groups, who are all terrified that the current reigning king/queen of whatever group will kill or ostracise them.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DreamingofRoses posted:

Not to be a raging misandrist but give me the bear please.

I would rather die trying to pet a bear's fuzzy ears than spend one second having an awkward conversation with a human man.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I (38/M) began dating my girlfriend “Maria” almost three years ago, though we’ve known each other for seven years through a mutual friend, “Giselle.” Giselle and Maria work together; I know Giselle from graduate school. There are a group of seven of us from graduate school still in the immediate area, and a few others are fairly close by, so we try to arrange large group events occasionally, and those of us in the city will meet up for a happy hour or whatnot. Long story short, Maria does not get along with the other women in the group (but still gets along with Giselle). From what I can tell, one woman in particular, “Eve,” clashes with Maria because they both have very strong personalities, and the other women take Eve’s side.

Maria recently asked me to stop socializing with the other women, to show that I support her.
I want to have her back, but I feel like this is a very unfair request—if one person in the group sends out texts about getting drinks after work or whatnot, I can’t control who shows up. Also, I’m pretty sure I can’t just start sending out invites to just the males, and Giselle, and tell them not to invite the other women. The only real solution that I can see is to stop socializing with the entire group. I feel like I’m stuck with a no-win situation here: support Maria by cutting off my friends, or risk the end of our relationship. Is there a middle ground that I just don’t see?

—Sophie’s Choice

quote:

Dear Sophie’s Choice,

Pick a side! Take a stance! Seriously, I don’t buy the “They both have strong personalities and for some unknown reason the entire group clashes with my girlfriend” story. Be honest with yourself—are these women unkind or immature or petty? Or is Maria giving them a reason to dislike her? It’s not normal for a bunch of almost 40-year-old women to have this kind of conflict. At this point in life, people should have friends who they like and get along with without too much effort. So I’m convinced that someone—or multiple people—are behaving in a way that’s unusual or out of line.

Abandon the idea of remaining neutral, and really sit down and reflect on who you’re dealing with here. What’s really going on below the surface of these regular clashes? Does Maria have problems with people in all areas of her life? Is Eve known for attacking and alienating people? Are the other women generally reasonable people, or are they for some reason overly influenced by their queen bee? Who’s nice? Who’s not nice? Come on, I know you know. When you figure it out, your response to your girlfriend’s request will either be “Maria, they’ve been treating you horribly and I’m over them,” or “They haven’t done anything wrong so I’m not going to cut them off, and I really think this situation might be an opportunity for you to reflect on how you talk to people.” I don’t know what it is, but I’m certain it is not “I’m stuck in the middle.”

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

yeah the rich person thing is about a world that I'd guess very few of us here are accustomed to, there's all sorts of etiquette rules and society norms around these people that even if you win the career lottery you're not going to know or care about

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

surf rock posted:

is this fanfiction of Daria and Quinn

isnt daria the younger sister?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

Dear Prudence,

I don't think the advice is too bad in that situation there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whorelord posted:

AITAH for eliminating a rattle snake after it threatened my niece and nephew?

Posted by Reddit user "Snakemaster2"

"We're scared uncle OP"

"Well, youtwo little girls had better stay herr alone and out in the open whilsy I hunt dpwn a living being behind some bushes and beat it to death with a rock.
... I am a good uncle"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

snergle posted:

No

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

"We're scared uncle OP"

"Well, youtwo little girls had better stay herr alone and out in the open whilsy I hunt dpwn a living being behind some bushes and beat it to death with a rock.
... I am a good uncle"

Love it.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

snergle posted:

No, no, Daria is just the foreign exchange student who just so happens to live with the Morgendorffers

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

A lot of people just don't get that "an idea" is worthless. I've seen this a lot in gaming circles, where someone talks about contacting a game developer to sell them an idea for a game, which is just a one-page description of what a game would be like. Anyone actually designing a game has had dozens or hundreds of vague game ideas before, they don't need to pay some rando on the internet for them.

That always reminds me of the AAM post:

quote:

I am very talented in my creativity and thinking ability. I have a lot of ideas I would like to pass around a marketing firm or ideally to direct companies. I have no idea where to start. I also have started a small business and it’s profitable within the first year, but it is not what I want to do. I would rather be somewhat of a consultant or an ideas man. I truly believe I have great potential in this area, but I am in my final year of college and I do not know where to start or even where to look. I have applied to many positions on Craigslist, Monster, and various other job sites, but I feel as if no one is understanding what I am capable of.

I know if a company or a few people were to see my vision they will agree that they are multimillion dollar ideas. So again, how do I go about finding a position and how do I tell them my ideas without having them run off with them?

quote:

Oh.

Hmmmm.

I’m pausing because I’m contemplating how to say this.

It is very, very unlikely that someone is going to hire you right out of school to be their ideas man. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. And it’s definitely not going to happen from Craigslist or Monster. There are very few entry-level jobs for “ideas guy.” Hell, there are very few senior level jobs for “ideas guy.”

Generally getting that kind of work requires getting more experience first — experience in how to implement and execute and make things happen.

It also requires highly unusual talent. And while it’s possible that your ideas are great, there’s also a very good chance that your ideas are kind of terrible. Or that they’re mediocre, or that there’s some reason they wouldn’t work, or that they’ve been thought of and rejected in favor of something else. It is very, very hard to judge this accurately yourself.

I can tell you this though, even though it’s making me wince to have to say it: In my experience, people who really have this kind of exceptional talent are talented enough that they’re finding a pathway to make it happen. It’s fairly rare that they’re looking to Craigslist and Monster to make it happen for them. And because of that, I’d put money on you needing more seasoning time, and on the likelihood that you’re coming across as naive to these companies.

AAM was much nicer than I would have been.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

No, no, Daria is just the foreign exchange student who just so happens to live with the Morgendorffers
We’ve been over this, she’s Quinn’s older…au pair

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ah, now here's a title for a story

AITA for ruining a funeral and potentially costing a lot of family members their jobs?

quote:

My grandparents passed away recently. I followed the guidelines my grandma set up for her final event. Her Church, her burial plot, her casket and the same for my grandpa. I just didn't expect for it to be a joint funeral. I sent out the notifications to friends of theirs and family after the date was set in stone. Their friends all came, so did most of my grandma's church but no family showed up. I wasn't surprised, I hadn't seen most of them in about 4 years.

I had a great time with my grandparents friends and then I went back home and cried my heart out. I had been their sole caregiver and I didn't know what to do without them. I had taken care of them for 15 years. It started with little things like lifting heavy things and escalated to needing to change the bed twice a night sometimes. I was empty and started to scroll through my grandpa's facebook to see pictures he posted before his memory went..

I found a group, started about 3 years ago that was being flooded with activity. When I went poking around I found out it was my mother who was hosting a funeral at her church and was 'trying to get final expenses taken care of.' I was stunned. Here was the woman I hadn't spoken to since throwing her out of the house for stealing jewelry and upsetting grandma terribly by using her Alzheimer's against her. 'How could you forget my birthday! You promised to give me this!'

I went to the funeral my mother had planned and listened to the pastor and then my mother got up to talk. She told everyone how hard it was taking care of them and something inside me roared to life. I don't remember everything I said, but it did include that she didn't pay for anything for them, not their caskets, not their burial plots, not their cremation, nothing. I told everyone I put them to rest at the funeral grandma planned herself 4 days prior. I said she'd never paid for any of their care or even seen them for 4 years.

I was asked to leave and drove home. Later, a cousin asked me if what I said was true and when I said it was and I could provide proof, they explained my mother had been taking funds from the family for years to pay for their care at a facility because they had outlived their insurance policy. They also explained I got a lot of people in trouble because somewhere in the speech I shouted I had done it all alone for years without any help. A lot of family members used my grandparents as an excuse to get out of work and had invited their coworkers to the funeral. By hearing my outburst they were now in trouble for lying as for the reasons to leave work or miss days.

She then went on to ask me about the inheritance and when that would be passed out. I told her that if anyone had earned the inheritance it had already been taken care of. I thought I was in the right, but now I'm doubting myself after so many cousins and family members are calling to tell me I handled it really poorly.

AITA? Did I handle this badly? Everyone's telling me I did.
LOL, hope it's real.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

snergle posted:

What? God no.

She's Quinn's cousin...or something.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rattlesnake chat is like a very dumb version of A S Patric's (very) short story The Rattler, in which a man has to decide what to do about a rattlesnake that is minding its own business.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Rattlesnake chat is like a very dumb version of A S Patric's (very) short story The Rattler, in which a man has to decide what to do about a rattlesnake that is minding its own business.

Tunnel Snakes on the other hand... RULE

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

AceClown posted:

yeah the rich person thing is about a world that I'd guess very few of us here are accustomed to, there's all sorts of etiquette rules and society norms around these people that even if you win the career lottery you're not going to know or care about

Speak for yourself. I'm so rich I drink beer with my pinky up.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

MagusofStars posted:

Huh. Wonder what the actual reason is here, because there’s no loving way they flew in from out of state with zero notice just to randomly hang out.

My guess would be using the 12/14 yr old OP’s kids as free child care.

I don't know, there are a lot of people who make a big gesture to set things in motion and then intend for everyone else to get caught up in that momentum instead of being the person who stands their ground (metaphorically) and stops them.

quote:

DEAR MISS MANNERS: For over a decade, we had a close bunch of friends who socialized frequently. Then came Josh and Jenna’s horrid divorce. We all cut ties with Josh over his cruelty and supported his shattered wife through cancer treatment.

She beat the cancer, but then spiraled into mental instability -- drinking, hospitalizations, etc. One couple in our group eventually ghosted Jenna, saying she was “high-maintenance, too much drama.” Slowly, others did the same.

We are the only ones of the group who still check in, take Jenna to lunch if she’s feeling up to it, bring groceries if she’s not, etc. We are not looking for a medal here; to us, it’s what friends do.

But it incenses me when our other friends occasionally furrow a brow, put on a sad face and ask, “And how is Jenna doing?”

I realize that snarling, “Maybe you could call her and find out!” would be impolite. What could I say that would convey my annoyance with their performative “concern” about our mutual friend they abandoned -- without being rude myself?

quote:

GENTLE READER: Say that you had lunch with her the other day and offer to share her contact information.

Miss Manners realizes that your neutral tone will only provide a measured level of revenge, but it will do so within polite bounds, and it will take all the fun out of their asking.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The thing I don't get about that loving dry wedding story is that the guy made this whole loving deal about how his night was ruined but like.... why not go out with your wife after the wedding? Have a fun little date night or something? You have a hotel room and no kids with you for the night? DO SOMETHING WITH IT?!!?!?!!?

But I guess all of that is invalid because you couldn't get blitzed at the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Speak for yourself. I'm so rich I drink beer with my pinky up.

Yeah? Well I am so rich I get Enrique to drink my beer with his pinky up