Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In modern Android are there still apps that are included in system updates (as part of /system/app)?

I have a bunch of apps that have Play Store updates they I don't really care to update outside of system updates, like Clock, Contacts, etc. I just updated to Android 12 on my Pixel 5a and the Play Store is reporting that there's still updates for those and that I haven't updated them since I first setup my phone. I would've expected them to get updated as part of the OS.

Why don't you want to update? Is it the kind of thing where the update breaks features?

Edit: oh hay, new page. Reposting this so it doesn't get lost:

quote:

The one serious annoyance [with my new Pixel 6 Pro] is that the google at a glance thingy is just showing day, month date, where it used to show that and then weather and temperature. I checked the options and weather is enabled, it's just...not there. I googled and found various people who claimed all kinds of stuff fixed it, like searching for weather, placing another weather widget, and disable->restart->enable->restart. None have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In modern Android are there still apps that are included in system updates (as part of /system/app)?

I have a bunch of apps that have Play Store updates they I don't really care to update outside of system updates, like Clock, Contacts, etc. I just updated to Android 12 on my Pixel 5a and the Play Store is reporting that there's still updates for those and that I haven't updated them since I first setup my phone. I would've expected them to get updated as part of the OS.

Google intentionally separated those out so they can be updated via the play store and you don't have to wait until an OS update. Why do you not want to update them?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why don't you want to update? Is it the kind of thing where the update breaks features?
In the old days having updates of system apps installed took up additional space since they would be installed to both /system and /data. I suppose modern phones are large enough that this isn't an immediate concern.

Beyond that I don't have auto-updates enabled since occasionally third-party apps can/do straight-up break, so I tend to do a cycle of manual updates at a time when it's convenient (not traveling, etc.). I just haven't bothered to update things like Contacts because there's zero feature updates there that I care about and I figured that the quarterly system updates or whatever would cover those anyways.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got my Pixel 6 Pro. Its very large.

What's with the top speaker port? There's like no grill in there. Shine a light into it on the left side of the port at the top of the screen, its like a hole that goes down into the depths of the phone.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Quick tap (set to recent apps) stops working after a day or so and needs a loving restart to fix. poo poo is hella annoying.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fourwood posted:

From what I can tell, maybe late late December for the Ace? And yeah maybe don’t hold your breath on 12 for either of them…

I'm not too torn up about the delay, it just feels weird that a phone lower in their stack would get an OS update before one higher in the stack. And I figure it is highly unlikely they'll get updated past 11, but at least the Ace may be a good candidate for LineageOS when security updates stop rolling out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Seamonster posted:

Quick tap (set to recent apps) stops working after a day or so and needs a loving restart to fix. poo poo is hella annoying.

App switcher just seems sort of broken. I thought it was a Nova issue, but when I asked in their discord they said it was an Android issue. Changing the home app back to Google, using the switcher, then back to Nova fixes it without having to restart. Maybe it's the same thing, or the same core broken part?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Any traditional note users doing s21 ultra w pen? Thoughts?

S10+ dying and wanna move while it's got value

I usually run a galaxy S series and note in parallel but haven't had a note since 8

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The S22 Ultra seems like it's going to be the return of the note if you can hold out a few more months.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

https://phandroid.com/2021/11/17/google-might-have-just-fixed-the-pixel-6s-fingerprint-scanner-woes/ posted:

The update itself is not a very big one, measuring in at just around 15MB, and carrying a build number of SD1A.210817.037. And while Google didn’t provide an official changelog, Verizon took care of that, providing the following information:

The current software update improves the performance of your device’s fingerprint sensor.

New system update for Sixel and SixelPro. Mine has been installing for 40 min and the progress bar is about 3/4 through... I was listening to music on my way to work so maybe that caused it.
I don't have huge issues with my fingerprint now. I put both thumb prints in 2x, then both my index fingers once. All 4 fingers unlock it if I leave my finger still long enough. A little slow for me but not the biggest issue. I had the phone set to instantly lock on power button. This caused me problems more. Turning that off helped, I was having to use my pin all the time since the phone was manually locked.
I'm coming from the 4a, and I prefer the rear physical sensor.

e: and its done. That took basically an hour. It seems a bit more responsive, but I'm curious what others think. Feels like placebo to me. Sure, I guess it might be faster?

deong fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 17, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, all updates since 12 seem like they take forever when optimizing applications.

Redditors are saying that the update greatly improved compatability with temperd glass screen protectors (going from like 5% success to 95% success.) I haven't really noticed any difference in the sensor, but I wasn't having issues before.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is this the right thread for app recommendations or is there a dedicated thread?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Is this the right thread for app recommendations or is there a dedicated thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Instagram isn't working for me since the update this morning. Anyone else having issues?

Edit: Reinstalling fixed it.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 17, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Thank you

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
Someone asked why you wouldn't want to update. I'm someone else who doesn't want the update for Android 12 yet. My reasoning: well I used it on my partner's phone and while I could get used to it it felt cumbersome on his phone with some apps not running well, and I know it would be even worse on mine as mine is an older Pixel 3a and his phone is newer. I don't really want to have an unuseable phone. I also don't really like the redesign for the notification space. I know I'll eventually update it for the security features, but I always wait a while to see if the kinks can get oiled out of it beforehand.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm unable to sign out of my last two (since sold) Samsung phones on myaccount.google.com. It lets me do it but then just reappears. Never had this problem before. Any idea why?

A bit annoying when people in your life think it's funny to hide your phone and "hey Google, find my phone" says "I've found three devices" and makes you say no to two.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I've been a big fan of my Pixel 2 XL, is the Pixel 6 Pro a nice upgrade/worth it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pro starcraft loser posted:

I've been a big fan of my Pixel 2 XL, is the Pixel 6 Pro a nice upgrade/worth it?

Pixel 6 is a better value, but if you like the telephoto or faster refresh rate, go for it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel 6 is a massive upgrade over the 2 XL!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Yes - I went from the 2XL to the 6 pro
Comparable form factor so it's an easy transition

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Very nice, thanks guys.

Christmas present from me to me!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Would someone recommend a MP3 player for me? I am using Oto Music, but the interface is a mess.

It must have gapless playback.
And I really want something with folder mode. Oto just has everything in one giant area. I really want something where I can click on the artist name and drop down into the albums and then go from there.
I am not averse to paying but a free app without ads is kinda ideal. Especially since google removed play music which was perfectly fine.

Thanks much for any help offered.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone recommend a MP3 player for me? I am using Oto Music, but the interface is a mess.

It must have gapless playback.
And I really want something with folder mode. Oto just has everything in one giant area. I really want something where I can click on the artist name and drop down into the albums and then go from there.
I am not averse to paying but a free app without ads is kinda ideal. Especially since google removed play music which was perfectly fine.

Thanks much for any help offered.

I dunno, I mostly use VLC out of habit and it pretty much does what you describe out of the box. It's also plays nice with car stereos when I'm streaming from my phone.

Having Google Play Music yanked removed the only other app I'd used for the purpose, so I haven't done an exhaustive test of this or anything.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Poweramp for playing media off your phone, plexamp for playing media off your pc/server via plex

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Khablam posted:

Poweramp for playing media off your phone, plexamp for playing media off your pc/server via plex

I'll give it a shot, thank you.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not seen anything mentioned anywhere but assistant call screening has apparently been switched on in the UK

I know its been a thing for ages in NA, but we've not had it over here yet

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think I mentioned it a couple of days back but google's starting their pre black friday sale pricing on the Pixel 5a 5G. It's $399 right now, no idea if there'll be anything further on actual black friday:
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_5a_5g?hl=en-US

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Finally got a used 4A to replace the 4A that I smashed after 8 days of ownership (:argh:) and it has Android 12. Saw people complaining about the bounce at the end of scrolling and, yeah, it's bad. It's not awful with text, but it's nauseating when images are involved, like in YouTube. Especially since it's doing it when I get to a point where YouTube is caching new content and not actually at the end of a list (my Watch Later list is a mess!).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 18, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Skarsnik posted:

Not seen anything mentioned anywhere but assistant call screening has apparently been switched on in the UK

I find it encourages them to keep calling.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TPU cases: does brand matter? Spigen has one, but it's clear and like 2x the cost of cheaper ones. I'd like to get some pop from a black phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The way it feels in your hand can vary pretty significantly, I'd go with the name brand one since it's not a lot of money compared to the price of the device itself.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

It looks like the kind where you have to send incoming calls to be screened, rather than it doing any automatic 'this sounds like a spam call :byewhore:' filtering. Or at least, that's what I'm assuming: there's an option to select a voice that's played to callers, but nothing about switching Call Screen off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

TPU cases: does brand matter? Spigen has one, but it's clear and like 2x the cost of cheaper ones. I'd like to get some pop from a black phone.

Which phone? I thought Spigen stopped making their full TPU clear case. They have the Ultra Hybrid that's TPU around the edges and clear polycarbonate on the back.

Anyway, clear TPU turns yellow/brown after about 6-9 months. You're going to want to replace it often. Probably the reason Spigen went with the polycarbonate combo.

Name brands have better fit and finish, but the lesser known ones are usually functional if they have good reviews.

Anyway, re:Spigen Pixel 6 Pro cases-
Tough Armor: way too thick, makes the phone unwieldy, difficult to hold. Kickstand is flimsy. Plastic shell is slick. It's already a giant phone, and this case gives it the dimensions of a full out brick that can be used in any construction scenario.

Thin Fit: it's thin and it fits. Seems to do the job without getting in the way. Using the phone is much easier than with the Tough Armor. The edges of the volume buttons are a little sharp - I've had this issue with other Spigen cases in the past. Biggest flaw is that it only comes in black.

Still waiting for my official Google case.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I love TPU but yeah, after about 6 months you need to spend another $8-$10 and replace that case

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Anyway, clear TPU turns yellow/brown after about 6-9 months. You're going to want to replace it often. Probably the reason Spigen went with the polycarbonate combo.

Pixel 4A. This is what I was looking at.

Spigen Liquid Crystal Designed for Google Pixel 4a Case (2020) [NOT Compatible with Pixel 4a 5G] - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083N54J5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y18EBAPG7W1QB3FE58TA

I just want something really thin and have a little bit of plastic stickiness on the edges of the phone. I dropped my last 4A and had to buy a replacement and don't wanna go through that expensive mistake again. I'm normally a no case guy. :| Sorry if my terms are wrong.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FogHelmut posted:

Anyway, re:Spigen Pixel 6 Pro cases-
Tough Armor: way too thick, makes the phone unwieldy, difficult to hold. Kickstand is flimsy. Plastic shell is slick. It's already a giant phone, and this case gives it the dimensions of a full out brick that can be used in any construction scenario.

Thin Fit: it's thin and it fits. Seems to do the job without getting in the way. Using the phone is much easier than with the Tough Armor. The edges of the volume buttons are a little sharp - I've had this issue with other Spigen cases in the past. Biggest flaw is that it only comes in black.

Still waiting for my official Google case.

To add to your reviews:

Spigen Liquid Air: comfortable to hold, seems solid enough, but surprisingly slippery back (despite the hex pattern etched in it). Edges are nice and grippy, but much of the time the (rather large) phone is mostly resting on my fingers against its back.

It's not so bad that I hate it, but I'm on the lookout for a new case.

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord
Thanks to the goon who mentioned checking Best Buy's Black Friday sales. Because of that I got a chat agent from their website to get me a $100 refund on the Pixel 6 I bought two weeks ago.

Speaking of...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-6-128gb-unlocked-sorta-seafoam/6483641.p?skuId=6483641

Anyone on the fence, Best Buy has the Pixel 6 (not the pro, tho) on sale right now for $499.

(post added to Coupons and Deals)

Ajax 99 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 18, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

Pixel 4A. This is what I was looking at.

Spigen Liquid Crystal Designed for Google Pixel 4a Case (2020) [NOT Compatible with Pixel 4a 5G] - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083N54J5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y18EBAPG7W1QB3FE58TA

I just want something really thin and have a little bit of plastic stickiness on the edges of the phone. I dropped my last 4A and had to buy a replacement and don't wanna go through that expensive mistake again. I'm normally a no case guy. :| Sorry if my terms are wrong.

Yeah I think they stopped making their full TPU clear cases after the Pixel 4. I had a random Chinese brand on the 5 and it worked fine. Just need to make sure the holes are cut out in the right places. I had the clear Spigen on my Pixel 3 and it yellowed just as much as the other one on my Pixel 5. But I think the Spigen and other big name cases are better ultimately when it comes to how well they fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

incogneato posted:

To add to your reviews:

Spigen Liquid Air: comfortable to hold, seems solid enough, but surprisingly slippery back (despite the hex pattern etched in it). Edges are nice and grippy, but much of the time the (rather large) phone is mostly resting on my fingers against its back.

It's not so bad that I hate it, but I'm on the lookout for a new case.

To expand on the Thin Fit, it is a TPU and hard plastic case. The edges are TPU to get your phone in and out. The back is the hard plastic, and is somewhat flexible, and has a coating (maybe TPU?) that matches the texture and feel of the TPU edges. The color difference between the two parts is noticeable only under certain lighting, and the seam is nearly imperceptible.