Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Godlovesus posted:

Source: I work at the CRA.

Hey why do you call me twice every day from Egypt? I can only send you so many iTunes cards to pay my taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

InfiniteZero posted:

Hey why do you call me twice every day from Egypt? I can only send you so many iTunes cards to pay my taxes.

Silly goose, they only take bitcoin.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Beaverton: "Citizenship begins at conception"

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
So what are we predicting the result of these trade negotiations will be? Canada to be formally crushed by the Trump train? Endless dickwaving for months on end with no real resolution?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wilhelm posted:

So what are we predicting the result of these trade negotiations will be? Canada to be formally crushed by the Trump train? Endless dickwaving for months on end with no real resolution?

No, and we don't give a poo poo, as NAFTA isn't going anywhere.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wilhelm posted:

Is there anybody out there who likes chrystia freeland?

quote:

President Donald Trump was infuriated by a major foreign policy speech delivered by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland in Washington D.C. in June of this year, sources tell Global News.

Minister Freeland travelled to the U.S. capital to receive the prestigious Diplomat of the Year Award from Foreign Policy Magazine.

In her acceptance speech, Freeland directly addressed Americans in the room, raising concerns about the direction the United States has been taking under the Trump administration. She criticized America’s approach to international relations including trade, tariffs, and key alliances like NATO.

While the speech received much critical praise, the White House felt differently. Sources say both U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and President Trump viewed the speech as an insult, not only targeting administration publicly but doing so on their turf in Washington.

The conflict came at a crucial time when the relationship was souring shortly after the challenging G7 meetings in Charlevoix, Que.

The White House was not fond of Chrystia Freeland even before the speech, according to multiple sources who said the president’s staff and allies dislike Minister Freeland, her policy positions, and how she negotiates.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Uh, she's pretty good and has been very competent, especially when faced with an administration led by a fascist toddler. Her speech was excellent.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I certainly like her more than the whiny entitled American shitheads she has to deal with.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Chrystia Freeland will be Prime Minister one day... Mark it down!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some poo poo head in Saanich killed a woman, her dog, and serious injured another person. It was on a classic rural road without sidewalks and the pedestrians were doing the right thing by walking in the opposing lane. The guy crossed over into the opposing lane and into the opposing shoulder and hit them.

And of course comments are nothing but blaming the pedestrians for choosing to walk somewhere without sidewalks. gently caress our pedestrian murder cult of a society.

Also police say there's "no evidence it was anything other than an accident". Does the reason even matter? Oh you swerved into the oncoming lane and killed people?! Did you do it on purpose? Were you drunk or on your phone? Nope? Ok you're all good mate, so long as you keep shrugging and saying "I didn't see them" you're good.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 28, 2018

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I think/hope that the police saying it was an accident means that they don't believe he deliberately drove into the women in an attempt to murder them. They're not absolving him of wrongdoing and still haven't determined if drugs/alcohol/distracted driving were factors.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

There is no way the Liberals cave in on this since standing up to the Trump admin seems to be the one thing that polls well across all 3 major parties and giving in would be political suicide this close to the next federal election.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

I certainly like her more than the whiny entitled American fascist toddler shitheads she has to deal with.

It is a lot like the person whose job it is to establish a working relationship with a two year old. Insulting them rarely helps.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

My mom loving loves her, and I think she's pretty cool too.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

It is a lot like the person whose job it is to establish a working relationship with a two year old. Insulting them rarely helps.

Everything is an insult to that idiot. Looking for reasons to act insulted and persecuted is the GOP MO.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

InfiniteZero posted:

The coward threatened to have me arrested 15 times and I'm still a free man.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Nothing about that speech was insulting unless you happen to be a thin, orange skinned autocrat. She's doing what she should, which is maintaining face against an erratic regime that seems determined to undermine everything the Western world has worked towards since WW2. If the American administration feels insulted by this criticism, maybe it's yet another sign that they are precisely drifting into the authoritarianism she was warning against?
:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yes, but maybe calling him a "Baby dicked piss guzzler" was a little too on the nose.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Wilhelm posted:

The result is that auto content is going to rise to 75%, we will reopen the diafiltered milk loophole for Saputo to abuse and we will all get increased duty free exemptions for crossing the border and shopping online. Also NAFTA is going to get renamed to "Trump's best ever trade deal, very big" or something loving stupid.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

berenzen posted:

Unless you happen to own a condo and special assessments gently caress you out the rear end. My wife and I are trying to offload her condo apartment in Calgary, because it's costing us more in mortgage and condo fees than we're making back in rent money. And because rent counts as income, but it doesn't take into account that it's costing us more than said 'income', it's screwing up her income tax returns.

Get a tax accountant to review your situation and advise you if it's worth to take CCA (depreciation for tax purposes) on the rental property to reduce the taxable rental income. CPAs generally advise against this as it generally results in higher taxes upon the sale of the rental property but it can be good to do if the taxes on the rental property are causing cashflow issues for the taxpayer.

You probably already know this but you can also deduct all reasonable related expenses from the gross rental income in calculating the taxable rental income. These expenses include the mortgage interest, admin fees, repairs & maintenance, property taxes and insurance. You can even deduct expenses for the use of a personal vehicle if you keep good logs of the distances traveled for rental purposes and charge a reasonable per kilometre rate. It's generally recommended that people with rental income and proprietorships engage a professional to prepare their tax returns to ensure compliance and take advantage of all possible deductions.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, she's pretty good and has been very competent, especially when faced with an administration led by a fascist toddler. Her speech was excellent.

I didn't know about her speech until that was posted here.

*I* like Chrystia Freeland. If she hadn't made remarks about the lunacy and stupidity of Trump at that award banquet, then I would have liked her less.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I have no opinion about Chrystia Freeland other than she's part of a Liberal government that doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the housing crisis infecting the cities, and therefore sucks. She really loves and cherishes the memory of her Nazi grandpa though, which is sweet.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

mila kunis posted:

I have no opinion about Chrystia Freeland other than she's part of a Liberal government that doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the housing crisis infecting the cities, and therefore sucks. She really loves and cherishes the memory of her Nazi grandpa though, which is sweet.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

large hands posted:

I think/hope that the police saying it was an accident means that they don't believe he deliberately drove into the women in an attempt to murder them. They're not absolving him of wrongdoing and still haven't determined if drugs/alcohol/distracted driving were factors.

I wish in cases like these the courts would at least impose a lifetime driving ban because if you can't keep your car on the loving road you shouldn't be allowed to drive one.

But that almost never happens because our entire society seems to think that a license to drive a giant hunk of metal down the road at speeds that can easily kill is a God given right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what if we just like...didn't sign another free trade agreement.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

But if trade isn't free, then who will want to even buy our softwood?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in Victoria the statue saga continues. Most people are over it, but the "We ran 1/3 of the residential schools in the country" local anglican church is not. A very long sitting councilor, Chris Coleman, has just announced he isn't going to run in the upcoming election. This came as a bit of a shock to most people. The scuttlebutt though is that he's heavily involved in the local Anglican Church and counts on the anglican vote and support and they are all very very upset he voted to piss on Canada's history and greatest prime minister, the right honorable JAM man. Apparently the shaming and drama he's received for his vote was enough to tip him over the edge and retire from politics. Was a fairly decent guy on council.

Like, can you imagine being so mad at someone not destroying but just moving a statue of an alcoholic genocidal racist? The Anglicans, committed to reconciliation.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e misread a post

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A week before the election, Trudeau could give a UN speech calling for the release of the piss tape. He would win a landslide while Trump broke his pen canceling nafta and embargoing Canada.

They is no winning play for him signing anything with that buffoon.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ocrumsprug posted:

A week before the election, Trudeau could give a UN speech calling for the release of the piss tape. He would win a landslide while Trump broke his pen canceling nafta and embargoing Canada.

They is no winning play for him signing anything with that buffoon.

Especially considering that anything Trump puts on the table will probably be so poorly thought out all-around that his eventual replacement will want to re-negotiate the whole thing anyway.

The best strategy for Canada at this point is to just run out the clock on Trump.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If there's one thing the Liberal Party is really good at it's preserving the status quo through a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. Worked like a charm for electoral reform. I think this was the strategy for Quebec separatism in the 90's too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Especially considering that anything Trump puts on the table will probably be so poorly thought out all-around that his eventual replacement will want to re-negotiate the whole thing anyway.

The best strategy for Canada at this point is to just run out the clock on Trump.

Trump literally thinks all business deals and negotiations must have a clear "winner" and a clear "loser", the very idea of "win-win" interactions or business deals are alien to him, according to all his closest "friends" in the NY business community and whatnot (some of whom admit they find it bizarre, even as they're trying not to make fun of him while relating this).

Any possible negotiation with him is going to be some level of bad faith, inherently.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Trump literally thinks all business deals and negotiations must have a clear "winner" and a clear "loser", the very idea of "win-win" interactions or business deals are alien to him, according to all his closest "friends" in the NY business community and whatnot (some of whom admit they find it bizarre, even as they're trying not to make fun of him while relating this).

Any possible negotiation with him is going to be some level of bad faith, inherently.

The funny thing is that given how many of his business ventures have failed, HE is the clear loser in most of his deals. Like it's not just that he grossly misunderstands how negotiation works, but he's not even good at the form of negotiation he DOES engage with.

Really the best thing Canada can do when dealing with the US at the moment is cut Trump out of the loop as often as possible (this would also be the best thing the US itself can do). Deal with the people whose job it is to handle this stuff and who actually know what they're doing, only talk to him when it's required by formality. Don't sign anything he had a hand in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ego-bot posted:

If there's one thing the Liberal Party is really good at it's preserving the status quo through a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. Worked like a charm for electoral reform. I think this was the strategy for Quebec separatism in the 90's too.

They play the long game in undermining their opposition by letting them stay in power just long enough for people to get sick of them (see Harper) and then they bring back their milquetoast governing style that remains just inoffensive enough to keep things as they are.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I just want to know how everything that's happening now relates to what happened when Harper went to negotiate directly with Trump.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
There are no sacred cows the libs won't give up to save nafta.

quote:

Ottawa is ready to make concessions to the Trump administration on Canada’s protected dairy market in a bid to save a key NAFTA dispute-settlement system, preserve safeguards for cultural industries and avert tougher pharmaceutical patent protections, The Globe and Mail has learned.

That compromise could end the year-old talks, but at a heavy cost. The federal government has committed more than $4-billion to the country’s dairy farmers to buy the lobby’s acquiescence on concessions in previous trade deals.

And the concession may be not enough. Canada tried to offer the United States more dairy market access in May as part of a North American free-trade deal, only to be rebuffed.

Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland and a team of senior Canadian officials – including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, and NAFTA czar Brian Clow – arrived in Washington on Tuesday in a bid to reach a deal on the trade pact by the end of the week.

https://outline.com/nWDnxf

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If they manage to finally scrap supply management, it will confirm my belief that the Liberals were and continue to be the best possible choice for federal government.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lessen restrictions on US milk entering the market to make wormbrains happy, while at the same time tightening the quality control for that lovely US milk so we don't get poo poo filled with pus and growth hormones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MA-Horus posted:

Lessen restrictions on US milk entering the market to make wormbrains happy, while at the same time tightening the quality control for that lovely US milk so we don't get poo poo filled with pus and growth hormones.

Canadian Milk Exceptionalism is grosser than milk itself. What if american milk was actually better than ours, like their beer?

quote:

As well, our maximum Somatic Cell Count (SCC) is also lower than the American standard. What is a SCC? It’s the total number of cells per milliliter in milk. Primarily, SCC is composed of leukocytes, or white blood cells, that are produced by the cow’s immune system to fight an inflammation. It’s a way we measure milk quality. For example, a reduced count of SCC is associated with better quality milk. Often if the count is high, it means the cow might be sick. Our maximum allowable is 400,000. Our provincial average is well below this maximum at 205,000. In Canada, each load of milk is tested to ensure it’s below that standard. In the USA, the national standard is 750,000, but the export standard is 400,000.

https://albertamilk.com/ask-dairy-farmer/difference-canadian-american-milk/

quote:

Nationally, average 2015 test-day herd SCC was 204,000 cells per mL, up 4,000 cells per mL from 2014. It marked the second consecutive year average test-day SCC posted a small increase. Prior to 2014, average test-day herd SCC has declined eight straight years and was down nearly 100,000 since 2005, according to the Council of Dairy Cattle Breeding and the USDA’s Animal Improvement Programs Laboratory

https://www.progressivepublish.com/downloads/2016/general/2016-milk-quality-highres.pdf