Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

You can get undercuts, you just need more than one die face, either with a slide mold or a clam mold. Citadel has done slides on the Baneblade sponson weapons and the radio mast on one of the objectives sprues.

I would love to get the straight poo poo from someone in Manufacturing on why they essentially never use slides.

They have a multi-part mold on cataphractii terminators too - from what I've heard its incredibly more expensive and time consuming to run than a normal 2-part mold. If they can save time on the front-end to do a more complicated sprue design and save time on manufacturing, they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Funzo posted:

I started out with Steel Legion when they came out because I thought they looked good and I liked the idea of mechanized infantry. I was a foolish young man.

you lack discipline

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

you lack discipline

drat these look amazing.

How did you take this amazing photo? I want to do the same with my Necrons.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zuul the Cat posted:

drat these look amazing.

How did you take this amazing photo? I want to do the same with my Necrons.

Cheers, there's a lot more of them now, but that's the most up to date I've got.

The shot's done on black acrylic board from the hardware store with a couple of flashes either side :)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Clawtopsy posted:

I have one unit of 10 Sisters with a Storm Bolter and Heavy Bolter, and one unit with a flamer and heavy flamer. Should my third unit be a melta squad just to complete the trifecta?

If you really want to go for it, but be forewarned that Meltas of every sort kinda suck* on Sisters squads though.

*except Inferno Pistols on deep strike Seraphim squads, who are extremely good spot anti-tank removal.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Yeast posted:

you lack discipline

I yield to the master. I only had a couple of small platoons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

You can get undercuts, you just need more than one die face, either with a slide mold or a clam mold. Citadel has done slides on the Baneblade sponson weapons and the radio mast on one of the objectives sprues.

I would love to get the straight poo poo from someone in Manufacturing on why they essentially never use slides.

In addition to what Booley's said, I wonder if running a multi-part mould is inherently less efficient due to risk of failure. If you have 3 sections floating around it's more likely for one to become misaligned and lead to unacceptable flashing or seams. The whole mould assembly might just need a different (and possibly custom) casting setup which doesn't jive well mass producing kits for a customer base which isn't really that fussed about the the loss of a few small undercuts. I'm just extrapolating from my resin and 2nd-hand metal casting experience though. For resin at least, the more parts your mould has, the more quickly it will fail. I don't see steel moulds failing easily so it must be something to do with the setup.

2 part molding allows you to get all the detail on one side really well which suffices for wargaming. Despite all the creeps and weirdo hams I don't think anyone's that keen to upskirt some Dark Angels.

If GW really wanted to go whole hog they could take a leaf from Bandai and cast fully assembled and articulated multi-material parts on a single sprue. RG Gundam engineering ain't nothing to sneeze at and is still head and shoulders above the already fantastic job GW is doing.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Azerban posted:

Cadian is boring and Catachan is worse. Plastic DKoK, Vostroyan or Valhallan please.

Tallarn Guard = Best Guard.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How many Primaris Eliminators is generally enough for character sniping duty? Is there any point in taking more than a single squad? I made up the Sergeant to have the Bolt Carbine, as he'll be doing the +2 to hit bonus each shooting turn, and I wanted him to be able to use Covering Fire as well.

Originally, before the new codex, I used a Vindicare for this task, but I think the mono-faction bonuses are too good for Ultramarines.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 30, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

How many Primaris Eliminators is generally enough for character sniping duty? Is there any point in taking more than a single squad? I made up the Sergeant to have the Bolt Carbine, as he'll be doing the +2 to hit bonus each shooting turn, and I wanted him to be able to use Covering Fire as well.

Originally, before the new codex, I used a Vindicare for this task, but I think the mono-faction bonuses are too good for Ultramarines.

Before covid shut everything down many competitive marine lists were taking 3 squads of them.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Were they fielding them as anti-character guys with bolt snipers, or as anti-vehicle with the las-fusils?

Gunder fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gunder posted:

We’re they fielding them as anti-character guys with bolt snipers, or as anti-vehicle with the las-fusils?

All bolt snipers. They're pretty cheap and with the variable ammo, can do a lot. Also they could be your three heavy choices as part of a brigade on the cheap.

They were most common in competitive Raven Guard lists.

Insert 9th Edition is coming, this could all change soon disclaimer here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope the Suppressor kit comes out sooner than later, I want some more flyboys for my iron hams

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

Tallarn Guard = Best Guard.
Hell yeah, they are! :hist101:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some Poxwalkers!

I am also messing around with a black background for photos!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I assume that there is if not an increase in cost, at least an increase in complexity which translates into less efficient turnaround time on the machines.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Somewhat out of chronological order, but I painted up some plague marines that got featured in a Goonhammer HTPE!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Those are really sick.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Those are really sick.

Thanks!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

R0ckfish posted:

Somewhat out of chronological order, but I painted up some plague marines that got featured in a Goonhammer HTPE!

fffffffuck that's a cool scheme (and great execution)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If you use Battlescribe, keep in mind Space Marines lists are about to be borked. They're splitting the founding chapters off to help with the fairly atrocious load times currently in the app. The downside is that it won't be backwards compatible with existing SM lists, so you'll need to rebuild any lists you have saved.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's ridiculous how long it takes for a roster to load on the app. Good choice.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
While we’re talking again about the complexities of plastic injection moulding - this poo poo absolutely fascinates me but I have no idea even what practical trajectory one would take to learn how to design/work in this field. I wish WarCom would do an interview with the manufacturing team to peel back the curtain a bit as I’d love to learn about it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's not Games Workshop but Bandai put out a short video about their process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHI7nKMqlE

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Guyver posted:

It's not Games Workshop but Bandai put out a short video about their process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHI7nKMqlE

Holy poo poo that was cooler than I imagined. Thanks.

I love the motorised crane things that move the moulds around.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

praise be the omnissiah :hellyeah:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Aw, no spin-around graphics for the new models. I love those.

Maybe a reduced staff attendance due to pandemic thing?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Stephenls posted:

Jenkins, who turns the turntable for those graphics, got the 'rona

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Do y’all have any tips on how to use a vindicare? I have to rock all 4 assassins in my scions list in order to get to 1750, but I’m worried that the Vindi won’t earn his points back.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Actually, now that I think about it, didn't we have a turnaround graphic for the Tech-Priest Manipulus back when he was part of that Kill Team box? Must be some other reason.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Anyone had the chance to go though the Admec rules leaks?

https://imgur.com/gallery/NZLKQU9

The new warlord traits are actually useful and with the new stratagems I'll definitely be taking as many as possible.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LibCrusher posted:

Do y’all have any tips on how to use a vindicare? I have to rock all 4 assassins in my scions list in order to get to 1750, but I’m worried that the Vindi won’t earn his points back.

Some of the references are a little out of date now thanks to the onward march of time, but Wings wrote this last year when the Assassin rules first appeared: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-imperial-generals-field-guide-to-assassins/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

It seems like they've already moved away from doing 360s on some models, for example the Necromunda Chonky Enforcers and the Slashy Bois are only shown in groups of 3 which means you can't see some of the detail for the backs of the figures.

I think the new SoBs are also like that?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like they've already moved away from doing 360s on some models, for example the Necromunda Chonky Enforcers and the Slashy Bois are only shown in groups of 3 which means you can't see some of the detail for the backs of the figures.

I think the new SoBs are also like that?

I noticed that for the larger units they've started doing an individual 360 for one model and then a group 360 for the rest, but this is the first time where they've done a new model without one at all.

Galaxy brain theory: New policy to prevent 3D modelers from using the 360 image data to make digital recreations of the models that can be printed by pirates. I think I heard about someone making high-definition Tabletop Simulator versions of 40k miniatures using the 360 images?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stephenls posted:

I noticed that for the larger units they've started doing an individual 360 for one model and then a group 360 for the rest, but this is the first time where they've done a new model without one at all.

Galaxy brain theory: New policy to prevent 3D modelers from using the 360 image data to make digital recreations of the models that can be printed by pirates. I think I heard about someone making high-definition Tabletop Simulator versions of 40k miniatures using the 360 images?

I :neckbeard:'ed p.hard when I noticed that some (but not all :sigh:) also have a birbs-eye-ish-view in the 360.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Robot Uprising posted:

Anyone had the chance to go though the Admec rules leaks?

https://imgur.com/gallery/NZLKQU9

The new warlord traits are actually useful and with the new stratagems I'll definitely be taking as many as possible.

Helverins getting a max shot strat and also being able to fall back out of combat and shoot if they get to the warlord bubble seems really great.

Super psyched for AdMech. Need to assemble my Dunerider and another 5 Electropriests. Having your first transport per then breakdown “safely” for free is sweet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LibCrusher posted:

Vindys are great, especially when you use their Double Kill strat to spray fire all over the field. AP -3 and no Inv save while hitting on 2+ and wounding Infantry on 2+, and then all the extra chances for wounds between Dead Shot and Head Shot? Vindys are exactly what they say on the tin, thebest snipers in the game. Stick 'em up as high as you can in cover and blow away any characters that show their faces.

Important note: As they are Characters, like the other Assassins, they can't be shot at except by other snipers (which you will be decently protected against with your defensive abilities) or by the closest enemy unit. Unlike the other Assassins, though, a Vindy doesn't need to get close to the enemy to be effective. A lot of your other Assassins will pop up, do damage for a turn or two, but then die when they get overwhelmed either in melee or by rapid fire anti-infantry guns. The Vindy, though, can spend the whole game blasting away at high value targets because he's hard to get to and hard to kill.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Corrode posted:

Some of the references are a little out of date now thanks to the onward march of time, but Wings wrote this last year when the Assassin rules first appeared: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-imperial-generals-field-guide-to-assassins/

Oh thanks! I really should have thought about goonhammer first.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

I said come in! posted:

praise be the omnissiah :hellyeah:

$100 for a ~100 point model, admech's dollar to points ratio continues to be atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stephenls posted:

Didn't some clever person figure out a way to create a 3d model from those for stuff like Tabletop Simulator? Maybe that's wh-

Stephenls posted:

:argh: