Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
Talking about old games with a friend and he vaguely remembers a spelling game involving collecting letters with a helicopter/submarine where you also had to avoid or shoot enemies.

It was 2D and had a cartoony style on everything. You played as a helicopter most of the time, but there was at least one underwater level where you played as a submarine. It was virtually a 2D platformer, with the style and navigating around obstacles, some of which actively wanted to kill you, except you weren't jumping but flying. The letters were hidden across multiple stages, one to a screen, without side-scrolling, and if you missed one you could fly back to the previous page to go look, but maybe the enemies respawned.

I've never heard of it but I thought it might be interesting to find out what it was for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

Nope. Found it, it was called Daydreamer, and was apparently mediocre to okay. Typed keywords like "surreal" and "2d" into the steam search and didn't find it or overlooked it. Did the same thing in Greenlight and found it halfway through an 80-page list of action games.

A much older game that sticks in my memory was a fighting game on the SNES (IIRC, might have been Genesis) that I played at a friend's house ages ago. A couple characters could spam projectiles with just a single button press, and one was a swordsman who could summon a whole damaging wall with just a button press. Another one had a red suit that reminds me of the Flash, who would do a punch that summoned a little swirly projectile.

I’m pretty sure this is Street Combat for the SNES, which sucks rear end and is also a reskin of a Ranma ½ game

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
A game I had as a kid and vaguely misremember from time to time came up in conversation with someone earlier, and I suppose this is the place to ask. Does anyone remember a lackluster platformer from the SNES that had the choice of a (teenage?) boy or girl playable character, and involved travelling to different time periods, collecting different colors of keys in each level, and generally sucking as a game? I recall the first level being some sort of vague middle-ages/knights themed mess, but honestly my memory of the game is very scattered because I found it to be terrible and didn't play it much. I also recall that it was at least advertised on the box/box-art as being 'radical', a claim I didn't feel it lived up to.

I kind of hate that it tugs at my memory from time to time; I can remember Kangaroo and Pinball and Chuck Norris' Superkicks for the 2600, but this one random SNES game has just fallen into oblivion. I'm pretty sure it was just the kind of aggressively mediocre shovelware that time forgot.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m pretty sure this is Street Combat for the SNES, which sucks rear end and is also a reskin of a Ranma ½ game

That looks like it! My vague memory of the swordsman was kind of of between Guile and a spiky blonde anime swordsman, and seeing the lightning wall move in a YouTube long play confirmed it.

New one: Futuristic racing game for Sega Saturn that had a story mode with voiced, comic-like cutscenes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

That looks like it! My vague memory of the swordsman was kind of of between Guile and a spiky blonde anime swordsman, and seeing the lightning wall move in a YouTube long play confirmed it.

New one: Futuristic racing game for Sega Saturn that had a story mode with voiced, comic-like cutscenes.

Cyber Speedway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl-Dp23cVPA

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A game I had as a kid and vaguely misremember from time to time came up in conversation with someone earlier, and I suppose this is the place to ask. Does anyone remember a lackluster platformer from the SNES that had the choice of a (teenage?) boy or girl playable character, and involved travelling to different time periods, collecting different colors of keys in each level, and generally sucking as a game? I recall the first level being some sort of vague middle-ages/knights themed mess, but honestly my memory of the game is very scattered because I found it to be terrible and didn't play it much. I also recall that it was at least advertised on the box/box-art as being 'radical', a claim I didn't feel it lived up to.

I kind of hate that it tugs at my memory from time to time; I can remember Kangaroo and Pinball and Chuck Norris' Superkicks for the 2600, but this one random SNES game has just fallen into oblivion. I'm pretty sure it was just the kind of aggressively mediocre shovelware that time forgot.

Okay, if this is right then wooow. Is this game Dream TV?

How did I come across this? I was watching a clip of highlights from a twitch stream tournament for terrible games. So yeah, if this is the game then apparently your feelings on it are completely vindicated.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Okay, if this is right then wooow. Is this game Dream TV?

How did I come across this? I was watching a clip of highlights from a twitch stream tournament for terrible games. So yeah, if this is the game then apparently your feelings on it are completely vindicated.

My recollection was imprecise, but fuuuuuck that is exactly right, and I'm not surprised to find that it is as garbo as I recalled.

Fiscal Conservative
Feb 26, 2006
Looking for a 2d mech game that was probably on the snes or sega; early/mid 90s. It was played in the top down perspective. Generic army green looking mechs. Opening level was a military base with a major north/south road, walled compound, smaller structures on the left, warehouse or hanger buildings on the right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fiscal Conservative posted:

Looking for a 2d mech game that was probably on the snes or sega; early/mid 90s. It was played in the top down perspective. Generic army green looking mechs. Opening level was a military base with a major north/south road, walled compound, smaller structures on the left, warehouse or hanger buildings on the right.

Mechwarrior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnE1u0WXuuE

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fiscal Conservative posted:

Final Zone?

https://youtu.be/XNUqNADxepQ

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Golbez posted:

This is one I've been batting around for a while. Mid-90s, fully polygonal 3D game - I think it may have predated accelerator cards, because I don't remember it looking all smooth/blurry like a Voodoo would have done. It was ... not quite a driving game, but you were in some kind of vehicle, moving around a level that was kind of floating in space. I don't recall if there was any combat, I just remember that I played a demo of this.

Not too much to go on, unfortunately. I'll browse through releases of the day and see if anything leaps out at me.

Just to bring this back, but remember how I was 90% sure it was Zone Raiders, but it didn't seem quite right? I remembered it being a non-linear track floating in space, rather than whatever I was finding screenshots of?

It occurred to me that maybe the demo was different. It was. Here's a video of the demo I just found, and it's exactly what I was describing.

Thought y'all might like to know why I was so sure yet so waffly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmPhWivZKg0

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
And for a new request, I feel like I've asked this before but:

When I was a kid, I remember a game that I thought was called A-Train, but far more primitive than that. There was a loop of railroad, with a few places on it to stop to pick up goods and drop them off at another spot on the loop. It was probably for kids, I seem to remember playing it in the early 90s but it could also be late 80s. This would have been for PC or even potentially C64.

Fake edit: holy poo poo, realizing it could have been on C64 was the clue that unlocked this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXOWOROBiT8 yay

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Golbez posted:

When I was a kid, I remember a game that I thought was called A-Train, but far more primitive than that.

Never played it myself, but LGR's review of A-Train gave me a slew of awesome music to listen to.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright gamegurus, an old friend of mine brought up a Sega Genesis game that we used to play together as kids but neither one of us could remember what the hell it was called.

It was an isometric army game between a red team and a blue team. It was actiony and campy and we remembered that if soldiers got close enough they'd start beating the poo poo out of each other. The only thing Im sure of is the box had two dudes screaming at each other.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Alright gamegurus, an old friend of mine brought up a Sega Genesis game that we used to play together as kids but neither one of us could remember what the hell it was called.

It was an isometric army game between a red team and a blue team. It was actiony and campy and we remembered that if soldiers got close enough they'd start beating the poo poo out of each other. The only thing Im sure of is the box had two dudes screaming at each other.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/general-chaos

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

General Chaos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIh4pwAjPYg

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yo that looks fun af

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That's definitely General Chaos, and it's definitely fun af.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yes!!

The game was definitely fun as hell.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 18, 2018

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Leonyth posted:

Talking about old games with a friend and he vaguely remembers a spelling game involving collecting letters with a helicopter/submarine where you also had to avoid or shoot enemies.

It was 2D and had a cartoony style on everything. You played as a helicopter most of the time, but there was at least one underwater level where you played as a submarine. It was virtually a 2D platformer, with the style and navigating around obstacles, some of which actively wanted to kill you, except you weren't jumping but flying. The letters were hidden across multiple stages, one to a screen, without side-scrolling, and if you missed one you could fly back to the previous page to go look, but maybe the enemies respawned.

Sounds a little bit like Blood Money but I don't remember any emphasis on "letters."

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A puzzle game that Summit1g played, pastel colour palette, the map had a bunch of wires all over the place and you had to complete puzzles to power other sections up. Trees, the ocean, those are what I remember.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Could be too hard but I have a couple of games I can't remember.

Late 90s PC game, only had a demo version (may have never been released to retail).
3rd person shooter sci-fi setting 3d world but player and (maybe) enemies were sprites (like MDK and Eradicator).
Player could jump and climb up ledges and there was quite a lot of vertical space in the demo level.
Player might have been a cyborg? Had a laser and could switch weapons.

Another demo I had late 90s PC as well.
Isometric zoomed out game with per-rendered backgrounds but textured 3d characters.
Controlled a man with keyboard and ran around fighting (like Little big adventure, player character about the same size on screen as this too)what might have been roman centurions (they had swords/spears and armor) in a medieval kind of setting.
Could pick up other weapons like a magic fire or ice sword and put them in your inventory and other fantasy kinds of things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Could be too hard but I have a couple of games I can't remember.

Late 90s PC game, only had a demo version (may have never been released to retail).
3rd person shooter sci-fi setting 3d world but player and (maybe) enemies were sprites (like MDK and Eradicator).
Player could jump and climb up ledges and there was quite a lot of vertical space in the demo level.
Player might have been a cyborg? Had a laser and could switch weapons.

Slave Zero?

Flannelette posted:

Another demo I had late 90s PC as well.
Isometric zoomed out game with per-rendered backgrounds but textured 3d characters.
Controlled a man with keyboard and ran around fighting (like Little big adventure, player character about the same size on screen as this too)what might have been roman centurions (they had swords/spears and armor) in a medieval kind of setting.
Could pick up other weapons like a magic fire or ice sword and put them in your inventory and other fantasy kinds of things.

Revenant?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Qubee posted:

A puzzle game that Summit1g played, pastel colour palette, the map had a bunch of wires all over the place and you had to complete puzzles to power other sections up. Trees, the ocean, those are what I remember.

The Witness?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

The Witness?

That's the one, thank you!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Slave Zero?
No it was way before slave zero and 3d graphics were normal, before half life I think.
I only ever saw that one demo and nothing else.
Edit found it
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/esoteria-techno-assassin-of-the-future

Similar to this but it had way worse graphics and less gloomy medieval magic stuff.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 19, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Flannelette posted:

Similar to this but it had way worse graphics and less gloomy medieval magic stuff.

Not Silver?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Rage of Mages 2, maybe?

Well, that reminds me of another PC RPG that I can't remember the name of. Pretty sure it was a post Diablo 2 hack 'n' slash where the main character got transported into a fantasy world, and so you start out the game wearing a t-shirt, jeans and a baseball cap before you get any armour of medieval weaponry. I remember it being pretty well-regarded, and I think it had a one word title.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Rage of Mages 2, maybe?

Well, that reminds me of another PC RPG that I can't remember the name of. Pretty sure it was a post Diablo 2 hack 'n' slash where the main character got transported into a fantasy world, and so you start out the game wearing a t-shirt, jeans and a baseball cap before you get any armour of medieval weaponry. I remember it being pretty well-regarded, and I think it had a one word title.

Nox

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nailed it, thanks

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Here's a game I've never been able to find or remember. I had an Apple IIGS when I was a kid back in the late eighties, and remember most of the games I had for it (Ancient Lands of Ys, Thexter, Silpheed, Dark Castle), but there's one game I just can't remember. You were exploring a castle or a dungeon going room to room... in the intro sequence there was a face of an old wizardy dude whose face would flash into a skull for a second... and that's all I can remember.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Happylisk posted:

Here's a game I've never been able to find or remember. I had an Apple IIGS when I was a kid back in the late eighties, and remember most of the games I had for it (Ancient Lands of Ys, Thexter, Silpheed, Dark Castle), but there's one game I just can't remember. You were exploring a castle or a dungeon going room to room... in the intro sequence there was a face of an old wizardy dude whose face would flash into a skull for a second... and that's all I can remember.

Shadowgate?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Holy crap that's it. I remember being super impressed by those graphics when I was 7, hah.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Happylisk posted:

Pretty sure this is The Tower of Myraglen.

edit: never mind, I'm remembering totally wrong, the wizard face is in the ending of that

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 19, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Happylisk posted:

Holy crap that's it. I remember being super impressed by those graphics when I was 7, hah.

There's a modern semi-remake/sequel of it from like last year or so if you're looking to revisit it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaodai posted:

There's a modern semi-remake/sequel of it from like last year or so if you're looking to revisit it.

And there's a pixel-perfect remake of it and the other Macventure games (well, their superior NES versions, with music and everything) on Steam, and they're mouse-compatible! :toot:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Very similar to this but slightly more realistic style and with bad textures on the characters and UI having higher res art.

Another game from around then I can't remember:

PC game
It was all 2D top down view strategy/tactics game medieval fantasy setting (not warcraft or myth but similar to myth but with 2d graphics for everything)
Fighting orc like green guys, very violent death animations. Hero unit guy had a fire sword.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Two games that are vague memories:

One is a recentish release, indie game. The Steam page called it a first person Max Payne. It was clearly inspired by Hotline Miami. The gist of the game is you're thrown in a level full of bad guys and using your Max Payne like moves to slow down time and dive around to kill all the bad guys. Like Hotline Miami it's super fast, you die in one hit, and enemies react instantly.

This one was a demo I played in the mid-aughts. I recall downloading the demo alongside Temple of Elemental Evil demo. It was an isometric RPG with a graphical style very similar to Pillars of Eternity in that the levels are detailed pre-rendered scenes and the characters are 3D models. I only recall one character, a woman with fiery red hair. The only plot beats I recall is that you're at an abandoned castle with a wizard who tells you about the power to shift between realities so the gameplay involved phasing between the real world and spirit world but I don't recall anything else.

Flannelette posted:

Very similar to this but slightly more realistic style and with bad textures on the characters and UI having higher res art.

Another game from around then I can't remember:

PC game
It was all 2D top down view strategy/tactics game medieval fantasy setting (not warcraft or myth but similar to myth but with 2d graphics for everything)
Fighting orc like green guys, very violent death animations. Hero unit guy had a fire sword.

The centurion enemies remind me of Siege of Avalon or Konung but those are 2D sprites based on crappy 3D models.

The strategy game you're talking about sounds like the original Kingdom Under Fire which I distinctly remember the flaming sword guy from the demo.

e: Oh ew I just remembered Return to Krondor is pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D models.

e2: Double ew, Quest for Glory 5 came out around this time and I also remember being repulsed by the demo and the enemies are Grecian style hoplites.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 20, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Two games that are vague memories:

One is a recentish release, indie game. The Steam page called it a first person Max Payne. It was clearly inspired by Hotline Miami. The gist of the game is you're thrown in a level full of bad guys and using your Max Payne like moves to slow down time and dive around to kill all the bad guys. Like Hotline Miami it's super fast, you die in one hit, and enemies react instantly.

I want to say that this is Superhot, but I feel like if it was, you likely would've mentioned the very distinct look of it. But still... could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want to say that this is Superhot, but I feel like if it was, you likely would've mentioned the very distinct look of it. But still... could be?

No, I remember it looking very generic. The Steam store page straight up name dropped Max Payne with Hotline Miami trial and error gameplay, and it looked kind of like 2004 Max Payne 2 graphically but it was all first person and super fast. I first noticed it in one of those trashy junk bundles, was surprised that it had good ratings, then like a dope forgot to wishlist it.