Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was the deal with the "Beyond The Mat" documentary? I mean WWF seemed to love breaking kayfabe at the time (with prominent Russo angles and Tough Enough right around the corner) but it still seems odd that Vince would be okay with an outside guy getting access to the locker room and filming everything. Hell there is even footage from directly inside Vince's office. Plus I have to imagine a lot of old-school guys in the company found the whole prospect offensive.

P.S. the film is absolutely fascinating and you must watch it if you haven't already. I'm just shocked that it was allowed to be made (at least the WWF portion of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
He allowed it to be made and then refused to promote it whatsoever.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shitty_Wok posted:

Just watched this for the first time, holy loving gently caress. That was a great match and I can't believe he went for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfDyHqyOvw

That was a great watch - for some reason only Chapter 3 is missing though.

Edit:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54687234

I think this might be the part missing. lovely quality, but it seems to have the missing couple minutes from youtube.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 21, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moose Bigelow posted:

He allowed it to be made and then refused to promote it whatsoever.

He refused to promote it to the point that lookalikes for Foley and Rock had to be used on the final one-sheet poster as well as the DVD cover, although the most recent edition of the disc has their actual faces on it. Basically, Vince thought it was going to be a fun little documentary about what happens behind the scenes, such as the whole "Puke" segment. Then Blaustein made a movie that said "Jesus Christ, this business chews people up and spits them out," and Vince flipped his lid.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Watching the '98 Royal Rumble, they had a French announce table? :psyduck: When did they stop doing that?

e. hahah holy loving poo poo Goldust's ring gear - green and purple vertical stripes wtf

WHICH WAY MADNESS fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 21, 2010

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shitty_Wok posted:

Watching the '98 Royal Rumble, they had a French announce table? :psyduck: When did they stop doing that?

2002, but I think the French announce table was gone by mid-1998; they just did studio commentary until '02.

Shitty_Wok posted:

e. hahah holy loving poo poo Goldust's ring gear - green and purple vertical stripes wtf

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust. That one was all Russo, if I recall correctly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The sad part about Brock botching his SSP is the rotation was actually pretty good for a man his size, he just undershot. If Kurt had been closer, he'd have hit it dead on. There's video of him hitting it in OVW, and it looks great when he connects.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The sad part about Brock botching his SSP is the rotation was actually pretty good for a man his size, he just undershot. If Kurt had been closer, he'd have hit it dead on. There's video of him hitting it in OVW, and it looks great when he connects.

He was probably the most physically-gifted wrestler they ever had, and I'm glad he's moved onto bigger and better things.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He was probably the most physically-gifted wrestler they ever had, and I'm glad he's moved onto bigger and better things.

He's so drat quick for his size, that's what impresses me the most about him.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't even think Kurt was out of position, per se. Brock just climbed the far turnbuckle for some reason. I guess Kurt could have had the presence of mind to awkwardly sell towards Brock once he saw what he was doing, but oh well.

It's weird how people were saying that Kurt was risking his life being in the ring that night, and then Brock's the one who goes and almost kills himself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

A WCW match with Disco and Kidman. Kidman did the SSP and landed back on the turnbuckle. Disco just covered him immediately.
Not quite. Bischoff was on commentary for part of that night. Immediately after it happened, he left the table to go check on Kidman. He seemed to ask if he was okay, then whispered something into his ear. Disco walked over, Kidman rolled him up and got the pin, which Bischoff counted instead of the ref. It was more-or-less the original finish but it didn't go well. It was a lot like Brock and Angle's botched shooting-star finish.

Weird that I remember these things.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet
What exactly is Vince McMahon's "Bearskin Rug"?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Its kind of tragic that hes more likely to live a long and healthy life getting in real fights than he was as a professional wrestler in fixed fights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eugene Jerome posted:

if you know about it you can't really talk about it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Eugene Jerome posted:

It's what he would have sex on in his office with auditioning talent.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Eugene Jerome posted:

I think the implications are that sexual favors of a variety of ... varieties are performed upon it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Minidust posted:

I don't even think Kurt was out of position, per se. Brock just climbed the far turnbuckle for some reason. I guess Kurt could have had the presence of mind to awkwardly sell towards Brock once he saw what he was doing, but oh well.

It's weird how people were saying that Kurt was risking his life being in the ring that night, and then Brock's the one who goes and almost kills himself.

To be fair Kurt WAS risking his life being in the ring that night, as he was due for neck fusion surgery afterwards.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Wikipedia for S.D. Jones posted:

At WrestleMania, he famously lost to King Kong Bundy in twenty-five seconds from bell to pinfall, however the official match time was given as nine seconds.[10]
This was the funniest squash match ever: thrown into turnbuckle, avalanche, bodyslam, pin.

I know Rey Mysterio did the same thing to JBL at WM25, what other ridiculously pointless <1 minute matches have there been in big PPV's?

Also :lol: at the first match of WM1 ending in submission to a figure 4.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Hart Foundation destroyed the Boleshviks at WM4 I think in less than a minute. There's also Benoit's numerous squashes of Orlando Jordan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shitty_Wok posted:

This was the funniest squash match ever: thrown into turnbuckle, avalanche, bodyslam, pin.

I know Rey Mysterio did the same thing to JBL at WM25, what other ridiculously pointless <1 minute matches have there been in big PPV's?

Chavo vs Kane for the privilege to have a title they buried by having the shortest match in Wrestlemania history. Chavo hits the ring and starts posing, Kane's theme and pyro hits, but no Kane. Chavo has a smug look and nods his head like "Yeah, dude must be scared of me." Kane walks into the ring from behind, bell rings, Chavo turns around, Chokeslam, 1-2-3. Kane is your new ECW champ.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shitty_Wok posted:

Orlando Jordan lost the U.S. title to Chris Benoit at SummerSlam 2005 in thirty seconds.

In that amount of time, Chris could have:

-made a cup of coffee,

-used the bathroom and washed his hands,

-put the dogs in the enclosed pool area...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CVagts posted:

To be fair Kurt WAS risking his life being in the ring that night, as he was due for neck fusion surgery afterwards.
Yes that is the irony I was drawing attention to!

Shitty_Wok posted:

Not sure if these were quite under the minute mark, but I remember Razor Ramon vs. Bob Backlund at WM9 being really quick, along with Adam Bomb vs. Earthquake from WM10. WrestleMania 10 also had a ten-man tag match that was short, but I don't remember if it was empirically short or just "short for a ten-man tag match" short.

A while back they would have like 11-14 matches on a PPV card, a couple of matches almost always ended up going really short or just chopped off the show entirely.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 22, 2010

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Minidust posted:

WrestleMania 10 also had a ten-man tag match that was short, but I don't remember if it was empirically short or just "short for a ten-man tag match" short.

No it didn't - the 10-man match was scrapped due to time constraints and they did it on RAW the next night.

Riceball
Jan 27, 2009

That's because the Flato's think they live under a fricken AT-AT.
How much do wrestlers usually charge for autographs? I'm curious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

At Survivor Series 98 they had a tournament for the WWF Title and Rock was the heroic figure pitted against the evil McMahon (at the end of the night they reenacted the Montreal Screwjob and had Mankind "tap" to give Rock the victory). McMahon warned Rock early in the night that he had an ace up his sleeve to prevent him advancing in the tournament and sent in.... The Big Bossman! Rock proceeded to immediately roll him up and pin him in something like 7 seconds.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
There was Diesel's victory over Bob Backlund for the title. It happened at a MSG house show, but was plastered all over the place on WWF programming.

EDIT: I know it wasn't at a PPV, but it was a world title change back when title changes weren't as frequent as they are now.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Riceball posted:

How much do wrestlers usually charge for autographs? I'm curious.

If they're actually charging it's normally 20bux.

I remember when Flair came to ROH you had to purchase the autograph aaand the item you wanted him to autograph though. It was weird.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HulkaMatt posted:

I remember when Flair came to ROH you had to purchase the autograph aaand the item you wanted him to autograph though. It was weird.

His wives and son's legal fee needed money

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

For people who just wanted to meet Flair and not attend the show it was worse. It was a thing for just the people who were at the show so they would have to purchase a ticket to the show, a ric flair autograph ticket, AND the item they wanted autographed.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
After Austin and Rocky, who was the 3rd biggest star of the Attitude Era? Mr Mcmahon? Foley?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

DannoMack posted:

After Austin and Rocky, who was the 3rd biggest star of the Attitude Era? Mr Mcmahon? Foley?

Do you mean after they left the WWE, or the hierarchy of Austin being #1 and Rock being #2? Either way I think the answer is Triple H.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'd put it like Austin, Rock, Foley and Triple H. If I had to include Mr. McMahon, I would either put him 2nd or 5th.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sure this has probably been asked before - but are there cameras present at the house shows (WWE production cameras) and are they filmed? I'd imagine if there were that they'd have a huge backlog of silly poo poo by now that would make a great DVD similar to the bloopers videos that were released in the past.

I went to a live show years and years ago when I was in high school but it was a taping for Raw and I've never been to a house show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm sure this has probably been asked before - but are there cameras present at the house shows (WWE production cameras) and are they filmed? I'd imagine if there were that they'd have a huge backlog of silly poo poo by now that would make a great DVD similar to the bloopers videos that were released in the past.

I went to a live show years and years ago when I was in high school but it was a taping for Raw and I've never been to a house show.

Ya on the Edge DVD they have footage of him winning his first IC title which was at a house show.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
Earthquake beat Adam Bomb at WM 10 in like 20 seconds or something too.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

DannoMack posted:

Undertaker.

E: There's a lot of ways you can look at it. McMahon was probably the most prominently featured person outside of Austin/Rock...but he wasn't a wrestler and I don't think he did a lot in affecting buy rates/merchandise/ticket sales. But his screentime combined with his involvement in Montreal can make for a decent argument.

Triple H was beginning his ascent and wasn't really a huge factor for most of the 'Attitude Era.' He did become a main eventer halfway through, but prior to that he was still using his snob gimmick and was feuding for (I think) the European championship and with Owen Hart when he was in DX.

Foley was part of the biggest rated segment in history, was a focal point of the Era, but wasn't really a huge main event threat. That said, the HNIC bump, 'that'll put asses in the seats', This Is Your Life, Mr. Socko, his first book and the JR interviews he did were all huge parts of the Attitude Era.

Then there's Taker. Just about the only other guy who was around consistently who was in the main event scene, was involved in a number of huge angles and had some memorable (some bad: Bikertaker, 'hanging' the Big Bossman) moments to boot. Plus, he's the loving Undertaker. He was poo poo in the ring for a lot of the Attitude Era (depending on which smarks you ask) but I think he was the biggest star behind Austin and the Rock.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 22, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Shitty_Wok posted:

Do you mean after they left the WWE, or the hierarchy of Austin being #1 and Rock being #2? Either way I think the answer is Triple H.

Triple H is not #3. WWE just forced him down our throats so hard people think he was. Vince or Foley would be #3, since Vince was consistently a #1 or #2 heel and Foley was a #2 heel (Dude Love heel run) and after a few months where his momentum died was #2 babyface (1998 to retirement). Triple H really wasn't over as a top guy until Foley worked hard to put him over, and even then it was always forced until Rock and Austin were gone.

Perdido posted:

Undertaker.

He was lower, but he was an attraction and not a guy to carry things on top so it wasn't the same thing.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Generally no. They take pictures for the website and they do keep a video camera around for if it's needed but they aren't recording every show.

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya on the Edge DVD they have footage of him winning his first IC title which was at a house show.

They didn't record the entire show. They occasionally would do things like that to try and pop the house show business but if you notice it's usually a single camera. They have one just in case but it isn't done by default.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

He was lower, but he was an attraction and not a guy to carry things on top so it wasn't the same thing.

I dunno. He was champion in '97, feuded for the belt in '98 with Austin, won the belt from Austin in '99, was instrumental in making both Foley and Kane look like legitimate threats (and tried to do the same with The Big Show) and won the tag titles several times.

He was near the top of the card for most of the Attitude Era, but as I mentioned in my edited post, it really depends on what criteria you're using. Undertaker was a main event wrestler and was pretty drat over, so he gets my vote.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He also caused the most controversy during the attitude era with the sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think Foley was bigger than Undertaker during the attitude era. He had more promos, is remembered more for big matches and angles, and got a bigger reaction from the crowds. I think this may have been because of Undertaker's character because that era in the WWF wasn't focusing on gimmicks like his and when they repackaged him with the biker image and Limp Biscuit theme song I don't think he caught on like Foley did.