Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

RangerScum posted:

His English is pretty terrible so I'm sure he'd just get probated / banned rather quickly.

I haven't been banned, and I'm awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Those are great suggestions. I got the Barthes for Christmas, but haven't started it yet. I've read sections though, great stuff.

I read this article by Gerry Badger some time back, and it's a great response to On Photography. Should help with the Sontag-induced pessimism.

ASX has lots of great articles and interviews, and I know I mention it all the time here, but another great resource for these sorts of discussions is The Great Leap Sideways. Here's one with Txema Salvans and his new project The Waiting Game that's incredibly insightful. And here's another with Missy Prince on her portfolio.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elite Taco posted:

I haven't been banned, and I try not to be awful :) Been probated a few times though, for being awful, and I still gotta cook some fish (I like this challenge) :D

On the flip-side, I try to be helpful and contribute as much as I can. I like to think that is what matters the most.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

So not sure where to post this little horror story but I'll do it here.

tl;dr Do not attempt to buy anything from Ryther Camera

I read a few quick reviews of service online and they seemed mostly good. Come to find out later with more looking that I should of stayed away so it's bad on me, but live and learn.

Found a Christmas/New Years sale on a D700 that put it a couple hundred off list. Thought I was helping out a smaller camera shop and went for it.

Order placed the evening of 1/6.
Phone call from RC on 1/9, asking if I wanted an extended warranty and more batteries. I told them no, and they said they would ship the camera out.

Fast forward to 1/17 and the camera still not being here, no fedex tracking number yet, I emailed and called them yesterday. They lied to me and said the camera was enroute and that they'd find me my tracking number that must have not gotten emailed. Two hours later I get the tracking code, showing that they just then shipped the item.

I email them back that night, telling them this is unacceptable and that I will not be accepting their package and they will need to refund my my money. I emailed them again today after the Fedex guy arrived and I refused the package. Once the tracking website showed that, I sent the link back to RC.

The guy there, Victor, just called me berating me and yelling at me telling me that everything I was doing was terrible and hurting his business. I told him I'd file a claim with my CC company if he didn't refund as well as write all this up for the BBB. He then proceeds to even tell me that it was a Grey Market camera he didn't even have in stock and had to ship from CA to him in NJ so he could send to me.

I paid for the 4-6 day shipping. Which was Fedex Ground. Fedex Ground has a calculator which will tell you how long it will really take, I'm 2 days away from NJ. This owner proceeds to tell me that he has the full 6 days to get the item to me. Even if I give him this magical 'processing' window he says they need, 3 days, and still gets it shipped to him, theres no way I should of had to wait 13 days. With nothing leading me to believe that it shouldn't of been here, at the latest, by last Friday.

He finally said that he'll refund the money once the package gets back to him. But man, did not expect him to call me and just scream at me and berate me for ruining his business.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Medpak posted:

So not sure where to post this little horror story but I'll do it here.

tl;dr Do not attempt to buy anything from Ryther Camera

I read a few quick reviews of service online and they seemed mostly good. Come to find out later with more looking that I should of stayed away so it's bad on me, but live and learn.

Found a Christmas/New Years sale on a D700 that put it a couple hundred off list. Thought I was helping out a smaller camera shop and went for it.

Order placed the evening of 1/6.
Phone call from RC on 1/9, asking if I wanted an extended warranty and more batteries. I told them no, and they said they would ship the camera out.

Fast forward to 1/17 and the camera still not being here, no fedex tracking number yet, I emailed and called them yesterday. They lied to me and said the camera was enroute and that they'd find me my tracking number that must have not gotten emailed. Two hours later I get the tracking code, showing that they just then shipped the item.

I email them back that night, telling them this is unacceptable and that I will not be accepting their package and they will need to refund my my money. I emailed them again today after the Fedex guy arrived and I refused the package. Once the tracking website showed that, I sent the link back to RC.

The guy there, Victor, just called me berating me and yelling at me telling me that everything I was doing was terrible and hurting his business. I told him I'd file a claim with my CC company if he didn't refund as well as write all this up for the BBB. He then proceeds to even tell me that it was a Grey Market camera he didn't even have in stock and had to ship from CA to him in NJ so he could send to me.

I paid for the 4-6 day shipping. Which was Fedex Ground. Fedex Ground has a calculator which will tell you how long it will really take, I'm 2 days away from NJ. This owner proceeds to tell me that he has the full 6 days to get the item to me. Even if I give him this magical 'processing' window he says they need, 3 days, and still gets it shipped to him, theres no way I should of had to wait 13 days. With nothing leading me to believe that it shouldn't of been here, at the latest, by last Friday.

He finally said that he'll refund the money once the package gets back to him. But man, did not expect him to call me and just scream at me and berate me for ruining his business.

This story is pre-mature. Write again when they tell you the package was a) not delivered, or b) empty, or c) damaged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

torgeaux posted:

This story is pre-mature. Write again when they tell you the package was a) not delivered, or b) empty, or c) damaged.

Good news is that at that point, it's between the seller and FedEx, as he refused delivery. FedEx is pretty good at documenting that, and it means the seller can't accuse him of shenanigans and win the argument.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Good news is that at that point, it's between the seller and FedEx, as he refused delivery. FedEx is pretty good at documenting that, and it means the seller can't accuse him of shenanigans and win the argument.

I agree. I think they won't just process a refund when it gets back. There will be unnecessary delays, based on spurious claims. I predict this now, this date, 3:24pm, 18 January 2012, here on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

I absolutely agree that he will delay the refund. Which is fine, I used my Chase CC and will dispute it. I'm hoping that he sends an email on Monday stating that he got the package and processed the refund. But if Wednesday rolls around, I'll just file the dispute, BBB, and every review site out there with the story.

ed. And since he kept screaming on the phone that he wasn't some place like B&H, I'll be ordering the camera from B&H here this week.

Medpak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 18, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE, A REPUTABLE COMPANY?!"

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
So my friend got dicked over by her wedding photographer, but there's nothing on paper so there isn't much she can really do about it. Basically she was told she was paying for photography and edits, then got a DVD with un-edited photos. Photographer says she did "light processing" and that she never agreed to do that so she's lucky she got what she did. I agreed to help her out and do some editing as she's a long time friend, and I don't mind editing.

I pop in the DVD and open them up, so I've got about 500 jpegs, some having been deleted, and nothing looks edited. I can only assume that by "light editing" she means she deleted stuff that wasn't focused properly? Who knows. But I continue on, I open up the photos in LR, and settings on them are all over the place. She must have shot on Auto, and have some ridiculous settings. This wedding was in late afternoon in the middle of August and there's stuff shot at like 1600 ISO, then the next picture will be 320 ISO, this is ridiculous andI would kill for the photos in RAW format with some of this grain.

TL;DR - I hate lovely wedding photogs, and now I need to clean up her mess.

*Edit: Oh, and it was shot on a Rebel with the kit lens, and anytime the flash fired it was the built in flash. :suicide:

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 18, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can you ask for the RAWs?

Four Banger posted:

*Edit: Oh, and it was shot on a Rebel with the kit lens, and anytime the flash fired it was the built in flash. :suicide:

:lol: oh there probably weren't any RAWs to begin with :(

Someone should go ahead and post that judge judy wedding photographer youtube thing. Or don't, because it's terribly soul sucking :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How much did she pay?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Can you ask for the RAWs?

:lol: oh there probably weren't any RAWs to begin with :(

Yeah I severely doubt there were ever any RAW images taken.

A5H posted:

How much did she pay?

$500
---------

I think she regrets asking me to DJ the reception instead of photographing it all.

Also as a side thought, I'll never DJ a wedding reception again.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Martytoof posted:

Someone should go ahead and post that judge judy wedding photographer youtube thing. Or don't, because it's terribly soul sucking :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBSIvg3pjc

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Four Banger posted:

The best thing is to hire a band and then use an iPod for music between sets.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Elite Taco posted:

God drat are you lucky I never read this thread :v:

Also dear anyone who posts badly, post better.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Four Banger posted:

I think she regrets asking me to DJ the reception instead of photographing it all.

I DJ'd one wedding, and I will never do it again. I even got away with agreeing to not play any of the regular old people stuff and I still wouldn't do it again.

Also more love for the Judge Joe Brown clip. Makes a great avatar.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Four Banger posted:

Yeah I severely doubt there were ever any RAW images taken.

$500
---------

Considering the "photographer" in the Joe Brown clip also used a kit lens and an entry-level Canon (XT?), perhaps she should take them to small claims court? Show the JB clip and exif data from her wedding (which should say what mode the camera was in (AUTO)), and press for a refund because the photographer is lying about their level of professionalism and grossly negligent.

Subpoena their gear, go hog wild.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Considering the "photographer" in the Joe Brown clip also used a kit lens and an entry-level Canon (XT?), perhaps she should take them to small claims court? Show the JB clip and exif data from her wedding (which should say what mode the camera was in (AUTO)), and press for a refund because the photographer is lying about their level of professionalism and grossly negligent.

Subpoena their gear, go hog wild.

I'm pretty sure that the standards for what constitutes a crime are far lower on a television fake judge show than actual small claims court. All of this is probably a pretty useless idea. Nor a very good post.

Although really, unless she actually showed samples of someone else's work before being hired, they probably should have been able to spot this (if they actually looked at previous work before hiring). And if they didn't look at her previous work, then, uh...

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm pretty sure that the standards for what constitutes a crime are far lower on a television fake judge show than actual small claims court. All of this is probably a pretty useless idea. Nor a very good post.

Although really, unless she actually showed samples of someone else's work before being hired, they probably should have been able to spot this (if they actually looked at previous work before hiring). And if they didn't look at her previous work, then, uh...

From what I understood, the woman who did it is a friend of the grooms family, or friend of a friend, or something.

Either way, I'm fixing someone else's mess. But it'll make a good friend smile (not to mention it'll make me a few bucks).

And she's some how mastered the art of making bouquets look... grey.

EDIT: HOW CAN SOMEONE BE THIS BAD AT FOCUSING?!

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 19, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Four Banger posted:

EDIT: HOW CAN SOMEONE BE THIS BAD AT FOCUSING?!
AUTO exposure, but manual focus? That's just hosed up.

I always have the same job at every wedding I attend: drunken embarrassment. That way, when the real guests (relatives) remember the wedding three months later, they'll remember me spilling drinks, damaging the bride's dress, stealing bottles from the bar, shouting at birds, knocking over tables, etc, and not the other relatives who were actually responsible for (some of) those things. If I'm not related to anyone, then nobody is under any obligation to tolerate my presence at any point in the future, freeing both of us to enjoy my inherent idiocy.

Also "candid" photos (i.e. misfocused) from places the professional photog aren't

Hunter+Laird-9 by Execudork, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

AUTO exposure, but manual focus? That's just hosed up.

I'm going to guess "no, but she hasn't mastered the fine art of focus point selection, so she missed 50% of the time"

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Battle at F-Stop Ridge 2 dropped today. I feel obligated to post it, only because I was in it. Check it out

If you haven't seen the first one (why the gently caress haven't you seen the first one?!), watch it..well, first.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Haha, those are great thanks for sharing!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

Welcome aboard!

Content: I think I've decided that I want to get art board mounted prints of my work and put them in boxes for different types of portraiture and show those to clients at consults as opposed to an album. I picked up the first set of prints today and was just blown away by how much more impact images in physical form have.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Content: I think I've decided that I want to get art board mounted prints of my work and put them in boxes for different types of portraiture and show those to clients at consults as opposed to an album. I picked up the first set of prints today and was just blown away by how much more impact images in physical form have.
That's why they say the final product of taking a photograph is a print. It just looks so much better when you're holding it in your hands.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Bloody August posted:

Battle at F-Stop Ridge 2 dropped today. I feel obligated to post it, only because I was in it. Check it out

If you haven't seen the first one (why the gently caress haven't you seen the first one?!), watch it..well, first.

How does it feel to work at the happiest place on earth?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
MCP Actions is giving away your choice of a Canon 5d MII + an 85mm lens or a Nikon D700 in a contest.

I probably shouldn't be telling you this because it diminishes my own chances but whatever! :)

You can find it under

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jodilynfriedman
http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2012/01/19/win-canon-5dmkii-nikond700/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Drewski posted:

MCP Actions is giving away your choice of a Canon 5d MII + an 85mm lens or a Nikon D700 in a contest.

I probably shouldn't be telling you this because it diminishes my own chances but whatever! :)

You can find it under

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jodilynfriedman
http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2012/01/19/win-canon-5dmkii-nikond700/

The site is getting hit hard, the entry won't submit :(. I never win these kinds of contests, so I'm going to win this one. Thanks for the heads up :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

edit: actually never mind, I'm creating a problem where there isnt any.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2012

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shmoogy posted:

The site is getting hit hard, the entry won't submit :(. I never win these kinds of contests, so I'm going to win this one. Thanks for the heads up :)

I haven't won a contest in more than 10 years. I keep trying though haha.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Medpak posted:

I absolutely agree that he will delay the refund. Which is fine, I used my Chase CC and will dispute it. I'm hoping that he sends an email on Monday stating that he got the package and processed the refund. But if Wednesday rolls around, I'll just file the dispute, BBB, and every review site out there with the story.

ed. And since he kept screaming on the phone that he wasn't some place like B&H, I'll be ordering the camera from B&H here this week.

Ooops, went to order from B&H today and they were out. Ordered from Adorama and some new white balance cards. Hopefully be here Monday or Tuesday. Yay.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Photo of the crashed cruise ship. From space! :catdrugs:

http://www.universetoday.com/92740/deadly-costa-concordia-shipwreck-captured-in-stunning-image-from-space/

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
wow, that's much larger than I thought it would be.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I don't know what to think of this.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/pho/2758881694.html

WTF

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

quote:

the only reason I am partingwith it is money issues.

Ghost hunting ain't paying like it used to.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I hate any digital photo that's grayscale. I hate any kind of post-production, really. Am I weird?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the posted:

I hate any digital photo that's grayscale. I hate any kind of post-production, really. Am I weird?

yes because by definition every digital image is essentially post processed due to rendering jpgs and raw files on your computer.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yes. Especially considering most images look terrible right of camera when shooting digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the posted:

Thirding yes because even with film, the film is processed and can be processed with different chemicals/temp ratios to give a different look.