Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

BeigeJacket posted:

Sorry if I'm being dim but what's a daisy chain?

It means you can link units together, as long as they are within command range of at least one other unit.

Say you have a 4" command range. You could have the following setup

O----O----O----O----O----O

where each ---- is 4". This means that you're covering a line 20" long. By comparison, with Team Yankee, everyone would have to be within 6" of a single figure, creating a cluster rather than a line or "daisy chain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kaza42 posted:

It means you can link units together, as long as they are within command range of at least one other unit.

Say you have a 4" command range. You could have the following setup

O----O----O----O----O----O

where each ---- is 4". This means that you're covering a line 20" long. By comparison, with Team Yankee, everyone would have to be within 6" of a single figure, creating a cluster rather than a line or "daisy chain"

Note that you have all of your units set up in a line you can increase the coherency limit to 16" (IIRC), though the times when that formation is actually going to matter isn't exactly common.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

http://battles.nodegoat.net/viewer.p/23/385/scenario/1/geo/fullscreen

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35685889

quote:

A Dutch company is attempting to map all the battles in history using Wikipedia. But what does it really tell us?
It looks like Europe and the US are the bloodiest parts of the world.
But the details - shown on a newly released map of all the recorded conflicts in history - rely not on academic books but information available, and editable by the public, on Wikipedia.
The Dutch data project Nodegoat is using an algorithm to piece together the details, taking the information from DBPedia, which collates information from Wikipedia, and the Wikidata database.

Could be a fun resource for historical scenarios

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Arquinsiel posted:

6MM is cheap enough that you can buy both sides easily.

The ridiculous prices for Team Yankee stuff makes this even more true. I got what is effectively an under strength soviet armored battalion (T-72 and T-64 companies, BMP-2 company, Recce and ATGM BRDMs, Recce BMP-1s, a Gvosdika battery, a platoon of Shilkas and Strela BRDMS, various command vehicles, trucks, MT-LBs, some BTR-70s etc) off C-in-C for less than the Team Yankee soviet starter box.

My buddy's 6mm US Armor (Link below) ran him around $45 I think.

http://imgur.com/a/rqg3j

(Edit I just looked at my orders and that big blob of communism was $112. Compare to Team Yankee where $120 gets you like 7 T-72s and a couple of hinds. :staredog: )

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Von Humboldt posted:

Been meaning to ask, is that KV formerly one of the remote controlled ones? If it isn't the one I have is remarkably similar for something with a remote that I used to chase the dog. Excellent to read, as always!

Thanks! No, it is not a remote control tank kit. I'm honestly not sure which brand it is, as the Soviet players bought two in secret, painted them up, and didn't reveal it until they plonked two of them down in our first game of the campaign! Germans have almost nothing that can reliably threaten a KV-1 in 1941. :(

But since it's a 1:48 I assume that it is either a Tamiya or a Hobby Boss one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I get home I should transcribe what I bought. I wasn't planning to use it for Team Yankee though, so it'll be only partially useful for that. It's crazy cheap anyways.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! No, it is not a remote control tank kit. I'm honestly not sure which brand it is, as the Soviet players bought two in secret, painted them up, and didn't reveal it until they plonked two of them down in our first game of the campaign! Germans have almost nothing that can reliably threaten a KV-1 in 1941. :(

But since it's a 1:48 I assume that it is either a Tamiya or a Hobby Boss one.

It's historically accurate! Hope you brought a Flak battery.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's historically accurate! Hope you brought a Flak battery.

Tell me about it, we played a huge 6 player battle this weekend, and my platoon had at one point 3 T-34's charging at it, with only a Pz. 38(t) and a PaK38 to defend itself. Playing 41 can be a bit of a bitch for the Axis.

Oh, the PaK got run over before causing any damage, of course.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Okay, something this thread might know: Why are 1:48 models so much cheaper than 1:56 models, despite being so much bigger? I can find 1:48 tanks from £8-15, but 1:56 stuff is always nearer £20.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe because 1:56 is a lot more niche?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Maybe because 1:56 is a lot more niche?

When your 1:48 molds start to break down you can sell them to a company who wants to do runs of plastic army men so you get to recoup costs. Also if you want army men you go 1:48, if you want tiny army men you go 1:72, there's not a whole lot of reason to stop in the middle for 1:56 if you're a military modeller.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So, what I got from H&R for about 85 pounds:

British
Fv105 Sultan X 1

Scorpion Fv101 X 2
Scimitar Fv107 2
Fv721 Fox X 2
Ferret X 2

1/2 Ton Landrover X 4
3/4 Ton Land Rover X 4

Chieftain MBT X 10
Fv4204 Chieftain ARV X 1

Lynx X 1
Gazelle X 1

Tornado IDS X 2

British Infantry X 1
British Infantry Support X 1
Milan (Strip of 3) X 2
Royal Marines X 1

Fv432 X 7
Fv432 + GPMG X 6
Fv432 Signals X 2
Saracen X 15

BM36 - Bedford Mk 4 Tonne Truck X 5

Rapier (3) Ground Mount & Crew X 1
Tracked Rapier X 2

Fv433 Abbot 105Mm SPG X 4

Soviet
Bmp-1 Ksh Command X 1

PRP-3 Command (Bmp-Son) X 1
BMP-1 X 10
BTR-70 X 11

BRDM-2 X 2
BMP-R Recce X 2

Ural Truck X 4

T-72 X 10
Imr Combat Engineer Vehicle X 1
Minerollers For Soviet MBT's (X2) X 2

Warsaw Pact Infantry X 1
Warsaw Pact Infantry Support X 1
Swatter (Strip of 3) X 2
Spigot (Strip of 3) X 2

Imr Combat Engineer Vehicle X 1
Minerollers For Soviet MBT's (X2) X 2

Mi24 (Hind D) X 1
Mi-2 Hoplite X 1

Zsu-57-2 X 2
Zsu-23-4 Shilka X 2
Zpu-23 + Crew X 2

MiG-25 Foxbat X 2

2S3 Akatsiya 152mm SPG (M1973) X 4

Pretty solid haul really. I can probably get some decent Team Yankee forces out of that if I really want to.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've been tasked with painting up the club's Commonwealth armour, and I feel like a complete scrub without a clue. I've found what I assume is the more common colours and camo for late North Africa, Sicily and early Italy, and I'll probably go for a mix of them to. But I'm stumped when it comes to buy decals to the tanks, and where to place them. I'm thinking that 8th army would be a good choice, but there are just so many different geometrical shapes, numbers and poo poo, and I can't find a simple source that explains them all and why a lot of the actual photos I find don't have all of them.

Does anyone have a good primer on Commonwealth armour markings, or recommendations for a book or something? The information I've found online hasn't really explained a lot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Osprey usually has books that talk about markins and uniforms with autistic detail, so you might want to check what they're offering.

And since I'm me, go 4chan, /tg/ board, /hwg/ thread and root through folders or/and ask for help.

You could ask /k/ board in a pinch, but they're more molon labe muh guns than history

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer.htm

This dudes guides are P much the Bible of 8th Army stuff. It's really grog in that you have to email him to purchase, and they're kinda expensive, but they're self published and cool.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Email? Self respecting grogs only accept cash through snailmail. You can maybe fax them the order form. Maybe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My :10bux: says that just going to Salute might be easier and quicker.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

My :10bux: says that just going to Salute might be easier and quicker.

I'm a dirty Norse, but yeah, I should get my rear end to Salute at some point, just to have been there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I'm a dirty Norse, but yeah, I should get my rear end to Salute at some point, just to have been there.
I plan to do it at some point too. Was looking at this year but I can't quite get the flights to line up for a day trip without blowing my whole teeny mans budget for the year without getting any mans :smith:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

Brother Vinni makes a great Ragnar mini, you could play Saga: Vikings from the History Channel.

That reminds me I need to build him and paint him now I'm painting again

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm going to be at Salute again this year. Only missed 1 in past 10 years. It's superb

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

drat. We should do a Salute goonmeet some year, so that I can take some vacation days ahead of time, and go.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
With a baby on the way I gotta finish any WIP projects I have. So here is the HQ section and a corporal and Bren gunner for our 15mm CoC game we're starting:

I'm going to buy some small washers to add weight and width to the bases. 8 down, 28 to go! Of course, having played a lot of FoW, I have loads of support options already finished.

Edit: Where the hell did that tiny hair on the tip of his finger come from? What has he been DOING?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

secretly a baby posted:

With a baby on the way I gotta finish any WIP projects I have. So here is the HQ section and a corporal and Bren gunner for our 15mm CoC game we're starting:

I'm going to buy some small washers to add weight and width to the bases. 8 down, 28 to go! Of course, having played a lot of FoW, I have loads of support options already finished.

Edit: Where the hell did that tiny hair on the tip of his finger come from? What has he been DOING?

Congrats! And those are really good for 15mm, great job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are spectacular 15mm alright. Great job dude.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks amazing, I love how the commander's moustache stands out.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Does anyone know if there's a Chain of Command list for kursk-era germany and USSR?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

Does anyone know if there's a Chain of Command list for kursk-era germany and USSR?

I checked with our Soviet players, and around that time the soviet rifle platoons would have 2 Senior Leaders, and four groups with 9 men in each (including 1 NCO/group). Two of the groups would have 2 LMGs, and the other two would have 1 LMG each, for a total of 6 LMGs. You could argue for including a sniper in each plutoon. It's actually pretty simple to then calculate the platoon force rating (http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1058 on first page).

For motorized rifles you can use the same as in the rulebook, and you could use a SMG platoon. The Soviet rifle platoon from the rulebook could be used to represent an understrength platoon around Kursk as well, so you have quite a few choices there.

I haven't read up much about the Germans past 41, but there's a whole bunch of 42-43 lists here:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2922

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a nice little skirmish with the forum's own BULBASAUR this afternoon.

I took command of the Union and attempted to break out of a city that was previously occupied but now low on supplies:

The critical move of the game ended up being a Hail Mary cavalry charge from BULBASAUR:

It led to two broken units after a devastating sweeping advance. My right flank retreated back to the trenches I advanced out of:

The rest of the game was me trying to rebuild my position. I was ultimately able to consolidate and keep any of my infantry from breaking but I couldn't escape my position. The confederacy wins the day!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had a great time drinking beers and playing with tallkidwithglasses today. This was my first time playing historicals and it was really fun. Makes me want to paint up a horde of little Napoleonic Russian mans.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Once again it appears I am totally incapable of painting anyone who looks pleased to be there.

"Join the army, they said. Get free land, they said. Now I live in Britannia Inferior and there are Picts eating all my sheep." :saddowns:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Seems like an accurate representation to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross posting from Kickstarter thread:

moths posted:

Mad Bob is back with some 1/56 French WW2 vehicles, with a handful of German early/mid-war tanks as stretch goals.

This is great news if you're a fan of some of the less popular vehicles, his line of Hungarian tanks filled some outstanding gaps at the time, and this one will potentially do the same.

I backed his Hungarian line for a Katyusha, and was very pleased with the kit's quality. I hope he hits those stretch goals, since the options are a bit limited at the moment.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 7, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
One of the pictures of his Pz38H 735(f)is actually a Pz35R 731 (f) :agesilaus:

I picked up the new 1/100 Zvezda KV-1 because I wanted to see what the new gun was like, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it has both the new and the old gun mounts in the kit. I guess this means that the older kit will be retired since this looks like the mould was just retooled to fit.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What's the other gun, F-32 or ZiS-5?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I assume one is the SA18 and the other is the SA38 but I have no idea what those mean beyond that both barrels come in the kit.

I know shamefully little about German tanks.

e: I'm a doof, they mean the French SA 18 and SA 38 guns. Becuase it's a captured French tank.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 8, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

What's the other gun, F-32 or ZiS-5?
It claims to be a mod 1941 with F-32 gun, but apart from the gun I can't actually see any difference to the mod 1940 sprue except the L-11 gun. Which is also in the kit... so yay? I doubt I will ever assemble and paint this one anyway, I have maybe seven of the mod 1940 anyway and there's basically no way to use them in FoW appropriately so they're pretending to he KV-1E anyway.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Man, early war French tanks are just gorgeous. Those smooth curves, those low treads, that.... tiny... ineffective... gun... :eng99:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Oy, all the fun stuff coming out when I don't have money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Endman posted:

Man, early war French tanks are just gorgeous. Those smooth curves, those low treads, that.... tiny... ineffective... gun... :eng99:

Remember that the most those tiny ineffective guns had to deal with was 30 mm of armour.