Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

IMB posted:

I really sort of don't like Bomani. He seems like a tryhard. Kind of like SVP. They're both better than 99 percent of that network and are OK at times.

Follow him on twitter. He's a pretty rad and enjoyable dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

joshtothemaxx posted:

Follow him on twitter. He's a pretty rad and enjoyable dude.

He tweets like 600 times a day and seems to spend all his time getting in to dumb fights over nothing, I have no idea how he has time to do anything else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's really good on the radio. I would follow him on Twitter, but then I would need a second feed just for him

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm sure you catch a metric ton of bullshit on Twitter if you're even a half-visible celebrity, but he seems to spend most of his day provoking people then acting shocked when people rise to the bait

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if he still does it but he'd get into dumb Twitter arguments with people, make a comment, then brag that he totally owned the guy for 20 minutes. It really was weird.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why but I can't stand Albom either.

Mitch used to be real good, but following getting his radio show on WJR, and the success of Tuesday's With Morrie he became super lazy, as made evident by the trouble he got into for fabricating a column. Plus he's turned into a cranky old man.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why but I can't stand Albom either.

Read any of his columns and you'll understand why. From the dad jokes of Dr. Football to the obvious points made to sound profound to the shameless self-aggrandizing (one of his Sunday columns last year was literally just about how great the actors in his play about Ernie Harwell are), he's the loving worst.

He also has the nasty habit of making one-line paragraphs that he repeats over and over again because he thinks they are mind-blowing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nerdfest X posted:

Less a wrestler, and more Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart.

I wanna see Skip do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTOT4BNYVo
:nws:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

I read Bob Ryan as Bob Ley and almost got really mad.

At least Ryan used to be really good writing about basketball before the NBA really blew up way back in the day. More than we can say about some of those other hacks.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Yeah Bomani seems like the kind of guy who would give himself a nickname

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

C. Everett Koop posted:

I read Bob Ryan as Bob Ley and almost got really mad.

Bob Ley is a legit journalist.

And, in my defense, I was only judging Mitch Albom on the merits of Tuesdays with Morrie, and Five People You Meet in Heaven.
That "single sentence paragraph, repeated multiple times for emphasis" thing is really stupid. I'm glad I don't read his columns. Or live in Detroit.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Huh, I clicked on this thinking it'd be that press conference by R. Budd Dwyer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nerdfest X posted:

And, in my defense, I was only judging Mitch Albom on the merits of Tuesdays with Morrie, and Five People You Meet in Heaven.

wait that schlocky garbage gave you a POSITIVE view of him as a writer?

I hope you never break the rules here, because it's gonna be super awkward at christmas if I have to probate my grandma.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Nerdfest X posted:

I have nothing but respect for John Saunders, Jeremy Schaap, and Mitch Albom.

Yes, most everyone else there is a clown (Woody Paige, Dan LeBetard,), a blowhard (ESPN First Take, Mike Lupica) or both (Bob Ryan, Dan Shaughnessy, Tony Kornheiser)

Kornheiser owns, you need to lighten up.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

commy gun posted:

Kornheiser owns, you need to lighten up.

Kornheiser is okay, and Paige has his moments.

Wilbon is an rear end though.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Wilbon was one of the pundits laughing loudest about thugs getting what they deserved when Sean Taylor got killed in a home robbery that had nothing to do with his past. He can go to hell.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

MourningView posted:

wait that schlocky garbage gave you a POSITIVE view of him as a writer?

I hope you never break the rules here, because it's gonna be super awkward at christmas if I have to probate my grandma.

Jack Lemmon won an Emmy for Tuesdays, and when my Mom was sick, she had read 5 People and then asked me to watch the film with her, and she passed a little while after that, so I will always associate that with her, and I'm sorry you have no soul.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Anals of History posted:

Wilbon was one of the pundits laughing loudest about thugs getting what they deserved when Sean Taylor got killed in a home robbery that had nothing to do with his past. He can go to hell.
He has a lot of Barkley in him on the political side, yeah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nerdfest X posted:

Jack Lemmon won an Emmy for Tuesdays, and when my Mom was sick, she had read 5 People and then asked me to watch the film with her, and she passed a little while after that, so I will always associate that with her, and I'm sorry you have no soul.

Aw hell. It's still not my thing, but I'm sorry about your Mom, man.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mitch Albom is funny because he gets really sanctimonious about journalism, and that's even though about a decade ago he got caught literally making poo poo up for an entire column to make it look like he was at a game that he didn't actually go to.

That said, he's no Mike Lupica.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm more shocked that someone respects John Saunders. He was one of the idiots leading the "Notre Dame is racist for firing Ty Willigham" parade. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate Notre Dame, but firing that lovely rear end coach is not one of them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I've met John Anderson once or twice and he seemed like an OK dude

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Mahoning posted:

I'm more shocked that someone respects John Saunders. He was one of the idiots leading the "Notre Dame is racist for firing Ty Willigham" parade. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate Notre Dame, but firing that lovely rear end coach is not one of them.

I am of the mind that the deciding factor that Willingham was hired is because he was black, just so the school could show the world that they were not racist (which is racist) and once they had that "check in the box" filled out, they fired him. And replaced him with a real winner. Because Weis is such a better coach than Ty Willingham.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 14, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nerdfest X posted:

I am of the mind that the deciding factor that Willingham was hired is because he was black, just so the school could should the world that they were not racist (which is racist) and once they had that "check in the box" filled out, they fired him. And replaced him with a real winner. Because Wier is such a better coach than Ty Willingham.

Willingham was hired because he was the best candidate after the whole George O'Leary fiasco. There was nothing to indicate he would be a complete failure. He had some good (not great) years at Stanford when it was largely thought that you couldn't win at Stanford. Then he was fired after basically giving up and amassing the worst recruiting class in the history of the school. That class was basically the one that ended up as the worst team in Notre Dame history (3-9 in 2007 under Weis).

When Weis was hired he was like their 5th choice. They fired Willingham and pretty much everyone and their brother knew that Urban Meyer was for sure going to accept the job. That didn't happen and they scrambled to find another candidate. It ended up being Weis....and nobody really thought he'd be much of an upgrade over Willingham. But he was mostly an unknown quantity.

So basically, absolutely nothing you said was correct.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Willingham's race WAS a factor in him getting hired at Notre Dame, for the same reason Charlie Strong's race was a factor in him getting hired at Texas.
If you believe that they were hired on merit alone that's fine.

Ty Willingham turned out to be a dud, and his incompetence (not race) caused him to get fired, but to say that his race had zero to do with him being the head coach in the 1st place is naïve.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I'm more shocked that someone respects John Saunders.
Because he was one of the first prominent black sportscasters and he's stuck around with ESPN for a really long time without going senile? His brother was also one of the first black players in the NHL.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Deadspin fell for an obvious spoof about 3-on-3 basketball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ouch. At least he's owning up to it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like that he read an article at a place called "The Betoota Advocate" and though, "Yep that's totally legit".

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

So did I though, I didn't even question that article before it was corrected. I mean the child in us wants to believe that 3 on 3 basketball at the olympics will happen. Except for the fucker in the comments who complains about dunks and suggests that other, dunkless sports would be better candidates for inclusion.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

I remember this being floated as a possibility at one point, so I can see why they fell for the idea of it. But seeing as how it was rejected officially last year, I think you'd want more than a website you've never heard of posting a very silly article about how people would watch the games from their cars while they were played on "international standard" asphalt courts with chain link nets before you run with it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It makes me wonder what their editorial process is like. It seems like even a quick glance by somebody at that story or something like this would get caught

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Their editorial process doesn't give a poo poo about page-view water-treading business-model-supporting link-sharing like that. Writers are expected to show good judgment and not need hand-holding to recognize obvious satire. Their editors are more concerned with the site's original reporting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So I know US sports journalism can get really weird at times but we got nothin' on Spain because uhhhhhh :stare:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Crion posted:

Their editorial process doesn't give a poo poo about page-view water-treading business-model-supporting link-sharing like that. Writers are expected to show good judgment and not need hand-holding to recognize obvious satire. Their editors are more concerned with the site's original reporting.

Considering Deadspin once tried to crowdsource money for athlete cock pictures I have to imagine that their editorial standards are a little different than at other places, including SportsOnEarth when you worked there.

Spanish sports journalism is a hilarious loving joke. The same paper responsible for that story has been repeatedly caught Photoshopping events in Real Madrid games to make Real Madrid look victimized somehow.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 15, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mahoning posted:

*blows dog whistle some more*

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*blows dog whistle some more*

*Is confused about dog whistle racism*

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mahoning posted:

*Is confused about dog whistle racism*

Nah I was just making a half-rear end joke. ;)

That said, I think its naive to think there wasn't at least some racial component involved in his firing. At least to the extent that "fit" came up, repeatedly, about all the reasons he wasn't "right" for Notre Dame. I mean, I know he was absolutely the wrong fit for Notre Dame -- and anyone who knew anything about him should have seen that coming -- because he's simply doesn't have the temperament or personality that is required to be Notre Dame's coach (Lou Holtz and Brian Kelly are basically perfect fits), but some of that is also based on that your old, white fanbase didn't and couldn't relate to him. If you think that they would have pulled the trigger so quickly on a white coach... oh right they didn't. And holding something against Saunders for that is silly. He's one of the most respected guys not just at ESPN but period.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 15, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah I was just making a half-rear end joke. ;)

That said, I think its naive to think there wasn't at least some racial component involved in his firing. At least to the extent that "fit" came up, repeatedly, about all the reasons he wasn't "right" for Notre Dame. I mean, I know he was absolutely the wrong fit for Notre Dame -- and anyone who knew anything about him should have seen that coming -- because he's simply doesn't have the temperament or personality that is required to be Notre Dame's coach (Lou Holtz and Brian Kelly are basically perfect fits), but some of that is also based on that your old, white fanbase didn't and couldn't relate to him. If you think that they would have pulled the trigger so quickly on a white coach... oh right they didn't.

Well, to be honest, yes.....they should have fired Weis after his 4th season but he ended that season with a Bowl win which Notre Dame hadn't seen in like 25 years and I think he was given a pass because of Willingham's lovely rear end recruiting class from 2004. But if you really look closely, Willingham was a few bounces away from being like 5-8 in that 2002 season. They had like zero offense and their defense continually bailed them out. You could probably say the same about Weis, but at least Weis could recruit. To be honest, I understand how some people could've seen Willingham's firing as being racist because words like "lazy" were leaking out from people in the know. But he really was putting in zero effort in the off-season and it showed in that '04 season with the worst recruiting class in school history. Even when Weis went 3-9 in '07 he pulled in a top-10 recruiting class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Well, to be honest, yes.....they should have fired Weis after his 4th season but he ended that season with a Bowl win which Notre Dame hadn't seen in like 25 years and I think he was given a pass because of Willingham's lovely rear end recruiting class from 2004. But if you really look closely, Willingham was a few bounces away from being like 5-8 in that 2002 season. They had like zero offense and their defense continually bailed them out. You could probably say the same about Weis, but at least Weis could recruit. To be honest, I understand how some people could've seen Willingham's firing as being racist because words like "lazy" were leaking out from people in the know. But he really was putting in zero effort in the off-season and it showed in that '04 season with the worst recruiting class in school history. Even when Weis went 3-9 in '07 he pulled in a top-10 recruiting class.

Like I said, there were more than enough reasons he should have a) never been fired and then to b) get rid of him, but its awfully hard to think that some of the speed in which they moved on that wasn't at least partially related to race, which I think would/was/is Saunders et al's sort of point. White guy gets more of a break because its frankly easier for the old whites to relate to him. I mean his last year was a team that was like 6 or 7 points from being 9-3.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 15, 2015