Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Storage wasn't a PW upgrade but just a small enhancement. The new should be coming out soon as Amazon just stopped selling the normal Kindles of this gen. Gen 5? Whichever is the newest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

noirstronaut posted:

Storage wasn't a PW upgrade but just a small enhancement. The new should be coming out soon as Amazon just stopped selling the normal Kindles of this gen. Gen 5? Whichever is the newest.

Only the ad supported one is not being sold right now, the one without special offers is still on sale.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
Anyone have any leads on any older model clearance e-readers? Or just a really cheap one that doesn't suck?

I just want a bare bones e-reader, I found the Nook Simple Touch for $35 at Office Max online, which would be perfect, except for its sold out.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

da weed wizard posted:

Anyone have any leads on any older model clearance e-readers? Or just a really cheap one that doesn't suck?

I just want a bare bones e-reader, I found the Nook Simple Touch for $35 at Office Max online, which would be perfect, except for its sold out.

The Kobo Touch and Mini have been £30 each but the Mini is now sold out and the Touch is back to £60 (if you can find it)

The Touch is worth it at £30

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

da weed wizard posted:

Buy the Nook Simple Touch used?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

da weed wizard posted:

This guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649796 probably has some decent ones for that price range.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

Javid posted:

This guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649796 probably has some decent ones for that price range.

Wow, how about that!?

Hi everybody. I came here to introduce myself and let you know that I refurb and rehab eReaders. I started with Kindles, so they still tend to have more of a slant, but I can also do Nooks, and whatever else - including smart phones, tablets, laptops, even car parts.

I can get you a Simple Touch for about $40 - but at the moment I've literally sold nearly all of my eReaders that were ready for new homes on SAMart in the last week.

I also have a Kindle Keyboard (4GB, full audio subsystem, TTS) Wi-Fi unit with a lit case (no ads) that I am looking to get $50 for with a new battery, official adaptor and usb cable (the case is pretty prized amongst the KK crowd).

I can keep watching, because occasionally I do get a good set of candidates to rebuild.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 8, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Barnes & Noble sent out a survey about ereaders recently, if your email address is on file with them you'll probably get it. They ask questions about ereader preferences concerning stuff like screen size and tablet usage for reading, but this part here really interested me:

So potentially these are some options B&N is considering moving forward. I really want to see some kind of new dedicated e-reader from them. I've still got the Nook Simple Touch and haven't found anything I like well enough to switch. The "waterproof" thing sounds intriguing, although I picked "D - none of the above" because not a single one of those ereaders appears to have physical page turn buttons :reject:

I wrote a mini-manifesto that I'm sure will be ignored about how physical page turn buttons and SD card slots need to stay in ereaders. If they made the Simple Touch with a decent backlight option I'd buy that in a second.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If they made the Simple Touch with a decent backlight option I'd buy that in a second.

Like... a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would be interested in option B above. But the fact that they are only now surveying about it means it's way too far from market.

This vacation, I've actually been doing the majority of my reading on my Nexus 7 so I'm starting to wonder if I even need an eReader anymore. I've only been using the Nook on the beach in a waterproof bag. Suffice it to say, I think I'm going to have to be blown away with a design before I upgrade.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I like the bigger screen, but don't give a poo poo about waterproof or "dustproof" (wtf does that even mean?). Agreeing that physical page turn buttons are more important.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

C is... interesting. A subscription based e-book service that comes with a free reader? And when they say any ebook do they mean any ebook in their library? How would they even work this out with the publishers?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RVProfootballer posted:

Like... a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight?
That was the best option so far, but the light is mediocre in comparison to the Kindle Paperwhite and other offerings. Also you basically have to buy them used now.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

I like the bigger screen, but don't give a poo poo about waterproof or "dustproof" (wtf does that even mean?). Agreeing that physical page turn buttons are more important.

You know how waterproof devices are sealed to not let water in? Like that, but with dust.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

hope and vaseline posted:

C is... interesting. A subscription based e-book service that comes with a free reader? And when they say any ebook do they mean any ebook in their library? How would they even work this out with the publishers?
In general it means that once a reader gets through a certain percentage of the book (20%), B&N pays the publisher as if the customer had purchased the book.

It would be an insane Hail Mary for B&N because even charging $10/month (minus free device), I don't think they have that kind of reserves.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
10 a month for 24 months is only $240 over the course of two years. What does B&N gain from this? That's like Amazon selling two Kindles and nothing else.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That was the best option so far, but the light is mediocre in comparison to the Kindle Paperwhite and other offerings. Also you basically have to buy them used now.

Isn't the current Glowlight similar to Kobo and Kindle's lighting tech now? I know the first gen one was pretty uneven. (Unless people are attached to the original NST+Glowlight because of the hardware buttons)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

noirstronaut posted:

10 a month for 24 months is only $240 over the course of two years. What does B&N gain from this? That's like Amazon selling two Kindles and nothing else.
Market share back from Amazon. That doesn't make it any less nuts though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Kindle Voyage on November 4th?

http://thenextweb.com/media/2014/09/17/kindle-voyage-amazons-next-e-reader-launch/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Please please please. I've never gotten used to touching the screen for page turning on my paperwhite. It always feels like a reach.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Haha, that's the rumored version I posted months ago. Looks like TechCrunch was dead on.

liliputing posted:

•6 inch, 300 ppi front-lit display
•Several weeks of battery life
•Ability to turn pages by pressing lightly on the screen bezel

Amazon says the Kindle Voyage is the thinnest Kindle to date, measuring 8mm, or about 0.31 inches thick. It weighs about 6.6 ounces.

Update: Alles eBook found the Kindle Voyage user manual which contains a drawing of the tablet, complete with the new page turn sensors on the sides.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm mostly curious as to how it will work. I rest my hands on the bezel most times.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Please tell me that is waterproof. I want a waterproof ereader, but it's easiest if it's a Kindle.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's the original rumor from November for the people who don't want to dig through my posts to find it.

quote:

Amazon is now preparing a new Kindle Paperwhite for release in early Q2 of next year, TechCrunch has learned. The marquee feature of the new device is a high-resolution 300 ppi screen that will bring the company’s e-reader displays back into technical parity with devices from competitors like Kobo.

In addition to a higher resolution screen, the new Paperwhite will be getting a few more hardware improvements. We’ve seen a prototype of the device which has a front screen that is flush with the edges of the device, rather than recessed, and is made out of very matte glass of some sort, not plastic. Despite moving to glass, the new units are said to be lighter than this year’s models.

The current Amazon Kindle Paperwhite features a 212 ppi screen that compares poorly to the Kobo Aura HD. E Ink, the company which manufactures the Pearl E Ink screens for both Amazon and Kobo devices, delivered a high resolution 265 ppi screen to Kobo first. Amazon, we hear, was a bit irritated when Kobo shipped the Aura HD earlier this year with a much higher resolution screen than its upcoming Paperwhite would feature.

The new 300 ppi Paperwhite, code-named Ice Wine, will leapfrog Kobo’s limited edition device and place a high-resolution screen on Amazon’s marquee e-reader. We hear that there are no major software improvements planned for this edition, but that it will be upscaled to take advantage of the new resolution.

However, those of you who are heavy Kindle users will be very pleased to know that Amazon is working on new typography for the device with a custom-built font that’s great for reading. Typography has long been one of the Kindle’s big failing points. Though several fonts were added in its last release, they were not received overly well for the most part. A new custom font specially designed for reading on the device will be a major improvement. We also hear Amazon is working on allowing books to be presented with hyphenation, eliminating the awkward right hand margins, but it’s not clear if that will be in the new software or not.

The edges of the device will also now be ‘buttons’ of a sort. According to what we’ve heard, instead of old-fashioned ’split’ buttons found on previous Kindles, these will be ’squeezable’ buttons that give off haptic feedback when activated. Theoretically, this should allow you to change pages without having to awkwardly reach over with your thumb to tap the ‘next page’ zone on the Paperwhite’s screen. And making the buttons squeezable keeps the sleek lines of the Paperwhite’s margins.

The rear casing of the new Paperwhite will follow on with the industrial design of the current Kindle Fire HDX tablets, with a more angular shape and chamfer to the edges. Similar in look to the images of the HDX above. It will also feature a rear power button that looks similar to the new Kindle Fire tablets.

Rounding out the features of the next Kindle Paperwhite is an ambient light sensor that will take readings of the light in the room and adjust the screen brightness to compensate. On the prototype that we saw the light sensor was faintly visible behind the black bezel in the upper corner of the unit. The system gradually adjusts light in timing with the way an average person’s retina expands or contracts in order to prevent jarring transitions.

We’re still several months away from when this new Kindle would debut, so there may be alterations to its design or functionality between now and then, but these are the items currently on the agenda. Amazon is also currently working on a couple of smartphone offerings we’ve detailed previously. Both a budget model and a crazy-sounding high-end device with six cameras in total are being developed.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/am...28TechCrunch%29

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A 300 ppi 6 inch screen would be a bit over 1400x1050. That'd be crazy nice to have.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Erwin posted:

You know how waterproof devices are sealed to not let water in? Like that, but with dust.

Yes, I understand that, but since when has dust getting into an ereader ever been a problem?

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!
It's just marketing speak. If you've sealed the system from water you're also sealing it against other things such as dust. Though really they should have just outright said sand. Because the main use of a waterproof e-reader is going to be at the beach. (and in your filthy skin-flake infested tub)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mnemosyne posted:

Yes, I understand that, but since when has dust getting into an ereader ever been a problem?

"Dustproof" is a thing in other fields, where being waterproof isn't so important. Things you want to use in a factory floor say or a construction site you might specifically want to be dustproof cuz there'll tend to be a bunch of stuff in the air that can mess up electronics if it gets in them.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Pressured to announce it, I'm guessing.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6353785/amazon-kindle-voyage-e-reader-price-announcement

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

drat it. I just bought a paperwhite a couple months ago. Guess I can sell that and my old 3G keyboard model to cover some of the cost of this new one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nice! I've been waiting for the next Kindle to replace my Touch. Surprised at the $199 price tag though, but am still pre-ordering.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would preorder right now, but I really didn't expect a $199 base price. I'll probably just buy one later. The fact that Amazon was pressured into announcing this a month before release is enough time for me to think about its usage. Realistically, all it practically adds is semi-haptic buttons to the sides.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

$199 is a price for people who want to upgrade. They are not going to sell Voyage to new people. I guess it makes $99 for a Paperwhite look like a good deal.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

$199 is a price for people who want to upgrade. They are not going to sell Voyage to new people. I guess it makes $99 for a Paperwhite look like a good deal.

I know many, many people who held out from purchasing the Paperwhite to buy the newest Kindle with whatever newness it was bringing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know why people are saying they were pressured to announce this. It's obvious that all the sites were shown these a bit ago and the embargo expired. The flub earlier today was just a premature launch.

The micro etched screen sounds really interesting.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

bull3964 posted:

I don't know why people are saying they were pressured to announce this. It's obvious that all the sites were shown these a bit ago and the embargo expired. The flub earlier today was just a premature launch.

The micro etched screen sounds really interesting.

Because there's no real reason to announce something a month ahead of time. It's entirely (if not moreso) possible that Amazon saw the leak, announced it, and then let sites know they can go ahead with their reviews within the same stretch of time. Hell, didn't the same thing happen with the Paperwhite or Paperwhite 2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Because there's no real reason to announce something a month ahead of time.

There's plenty of reasons, chief among them to let people preorder and gauge demand so they can actually get product in hands without frustrating people with backorders.

There's no real con, to announcing it this early either since it's not replacing an existing product so they aren't as worried about cannibalizing sales.

The flub earlier today was pretty much 12 hours exactly from when the embargo expired. I think someone in amazon Germany just got am and pm flipped.

They announced a whole shitton more stuff than just this. There's a bunch of new Fire tablets as well and none were leaked ahead of time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

To be fair, that super high res e-ink screen has to be super expensive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's also worth mentioning that they replaced the basic $79 Kindle. It now has a touchscreen and 4 GB of memory.

--------

Also, if you haven't used deferred payment on a Kindle yet, it seems to apply to the Kindle Voyage. 5 interest free monthly payments of $39.80 is a bit easier to swallow than $199 upfront.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I'm also really surprised at the $79 price tag to add 3G. I thought it was something like $30 extra back when the Touch was first released?