Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Cawd Rud posted:

Yes, you can jailbreak, however it'll be semi-tethered, which means that if you restart the iPhone it will act unjailbroken until you plug it back into a computer, run redsn0w and click the magic "Boot Tethered" button. Actually restarting should be a rare occurrence only when installing certain tweaks or if the battery runs out, so it's not too big of a deal. Instructions can be found here: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/questions/119673/jailbreaking-ios-6

Jailbreaking it alone won't reduce your battery life, but even with a lot of tweaks installed, battery life isn't noticeably affected in my experience. Plus, you can always just restore and unjailbreak if you don't want it jailbroken for any reason.

I have an iPod Touch 4th generation on 6.1.3 and I'm trying to jailbreak using these exact instructions but I'm having the damndest time. I jailbroke it, but Cydia wouldn't show up no matter how many times I booted it tethered using redsn0w. The little pineapple icon shows up when it's starting up but there's no Cydia app or anything to indicate it's jailbroken. I restored a backup, tried jailbreaking it again, same thing. Some google results suggested syncing before jailbreaking and syncing before booting, did both of these things to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? :sigh:

edit: I finally got it, I just ended up using sn0wbreeze. Deleted all my apps which is annoying but oh well, at least it works!

Irukandji Syndrome fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hey everyone. So I just got a new iPhone after my old one went in the pool about 2 years ago. It is an iPhone 5 and already had firmware 6.1.4 on it. Am I already dead on jailbreaking?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

goodness posted:

Hey everyone. So I just got a new iPhone after my old one went in the pool about 2 years ago. It is an iPhone 5 and already had firmware 6.1.4 on it. Am I already dead on jailbreaking?
Yup, no chance to jailbreak right now. Most likely the next jailbreak will be released for iOS7 a few weeks/months after it's released.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cawd Rud posted:

Yup, no chance to jailbreak right now. Most likely the next jailbreak will be released for iOS7 a few weeks/months after it's released.

So I cannot get the SHSH info from another person, they are specific to each phone?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

goodness posted:

So I cannot get the SHSH info from another person, they are specific to each phone?

Yyyyyup. Just like he said, you cannot jailbreak.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yes, SHSH blobs are specific to each phone. To expand on that, in devices that have an A5 CPU or above (iPhone 5 has an A6), saving your SHSH blobs are essentially useless at this point in time. Apple upgraded the restore system to also require APTickets, which are unique for EVERY restore, and thus are not subject to the replay attack that was used with SHSH blobs. So the only way to get a version of iOS on your 4S or newer device is if Apple is currently signing it.

It's possible to save your SHSH + APTickets (e.g. with iFaith), but you can't do anything with them currently. Perhaps in the future a flaw will be found that will let us use them and allow us to restore to iOS versions that we have saved.

There was a period of around 2 hours a couple days ago where they were suddenly signing 6.0.x (probably due to the developer server issues they've had) and if you had restored to 6.0.x in that span, you could have had a jailbroken phone. However, this is the first and probably only time this will happen, so don't get your hopes up that it will ever happen again.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

drat, and I was all excited to jailbreak it and do all this awesome stuff to it. I guess I have to wait for OS7? Hopefully its not too long :(

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

goodness posted:

drat, and I was all excited to jailbreak it and do all this awesome stuff to it. I guess I have to wait for OS7? Hopefully its not too long :(

iOS7 is supposed to be coming out within the next few months. It should be pretty great from what I've seen!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

Current T-Mobile US carrier bundle for 6.1 (14.2):
http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/CarrierBundles/091-7459.20130626.Lk3Er/TMobile_US_iPhone.ipcc

Have you tried loading that?

If it doesn't install, open it up (it's a Zip file), and check the *.plist files to see if they have a "6.1" you can change to a "6.0".

Edit: You need to configure iTunes to allow manual installation of carrier bundles.

I forgot to say anything at the time, but this totally worked for me. I was a bit iffy at first due to the version mismatch, but it's perfect. Getting LTE and HSPA+ service.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a way to enable airplay mirroring on 5.1.1? Just wondering.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Blimpkin posted:

Is there a way to enable airplay mirroring on 5.1.1? Just wondering.
Isn't it the same as any other iOS version? Or did they add mirroring later? Double-click home, swipe right twice, look for the icon.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I jailbroke my daughter's iPod Touch 4th gen months ago. She used it plenty.

Last night it started rebooting constantly. It would reboot, black screen with apple logo, then go white for a moment, before rebooting again. I tried using the up volume button which was suggested, that had no effect, so I thought to just restore it to 6.1.3 and she can do without a jailbreak for a while.

I started to restore it, iTunes downloaded the latest IOS version, and started to prepare/install it, but got an error during the restore. Now I get the same error every time while it's on the USB cable plug into itunes prompt screen. Tried it with different cables, a different computer, but still getting the problem. Getting an error (9) with it.

Anyone come across this happening? I think I'm going to have to send it to apple (it's about 8 months old) and hope they don't notice it had been jailbroken and refuse to work on it.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Looks like error 9 means it's a problem with the USB connection: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694#error9. Kind of points to a problem with the iPod touch itself if you've tried different computers and USB cables, though.

Have you tried restoring in DFU mode? http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

randyest posted:

Isn't it the same as any other iOS version? Or did they add mirroring later? Double-click home, swipe right twice, look for the icon.

That's true for AirPlay media streaming, but for mirroring, my iPad 1 5.1.1 cannot do it. My 6.1.2 iPhone4S can.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yeh, quite a few times. Similar results.

The splash of white that happens, she thinks, looks quite a bit like a ghosted version of the website she was viewing just as the crash occurred that led to this problem.

If it is an iPod problem, I just hope Apple don't flip their poo poo and refuse to fix it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Yeh, quite a few times. Similar results.

The splash of white that happens, she thinks, looks quite a bit like a ghosted version of the website she was viewing just as the crash occurred that led to this problem.

If it is an iPod problem, I just hope Apple don't flip their poo poo and refuse to fix it.

If its in warranty and its not accidental damage then it's a free fix. If out of warranty, well, most likely it'll cost.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If its in warranty and its not accidental damage then it's a free fix. If out of warranty, well, most likely it'll cost.

It's inwarranty time wise, but it was jailbroken before this problem, and that voids warranty. So if the attempted restore wiped that jailbreak poo poo, I am good. If not, and they decide to enforce the jailbreak voids warranty stuff, then I am out of luck. I'll try anyway, see where it goes. Certainly, there's nothing I can see that identifies it as jailbroken, perhaps some gadget they have at Apple may identify the jailbreak. Who knows.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

It's inwarranty time wise, but it was jailbroken before this problem, and that voids warranty. So if the attempted restore wiped that jailbreak poo poo, I am good. If not, and they decide to enforce the jailbreak voids warranty stuff, then I am out of luck. I'll try anyway, see where it goes. Certainly, there's nothing I can see that identifies it as jailbroken, perhaps some gadget they have at Apple may identify the jailbreak. Who knows.

If you can't see any jailbreak stuff then they can't either.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

My iPhone 5 just stopped connecting to cell networks a couple weeks ago. I tried restoring, and it couldn't authenticate, even over wifi. I was jailbroken, but decided to take it in to the store and see what they said. Whatever was broken, was broken enough they couldn't even run their diagnostic tools on it. They swapped it out on the spot for a brand new phone. The best part is I was 1 week away from being out of warrantee, and my old phone had a ton of scuffs from where pocket sand got between the case and aluminum back.

Now I just put the iOS 7 beta on my shiny new phone, and it does most the things I had jailbroken for anyways.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No matter what Apple may claim, jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty.

VVV I meant legally. From a pragmatic standpoint you're 100% correct.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 1, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

~Coxy posted:

No matter what Apple may claim, jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty.

Wrong. It does void your warranty because Apple both writes the warranty and services the products, but there's no way for them to tell that the phone has been jailbroken if you properly restore to stock firmware. Don't be surprised if you walk up to the apple store service desk with your reskinned interface and find that the worker gives you the stinkeye. Forget about mailing it in to Apple and expecting to receive a new phone.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Switched.on posted:

My iPhone 5 just stopped connecting to cell networks a couple weeks ago. I tried restoring, and it couldn't authenticate, even over wifi. I was jailbroken, but decided to take it in to the store and see what they said. Whatever was broken, was broken enough they couldn't even run their diagnostic tools on it. They swapped it out on the spot for a brand new phone. The best part is I was 1 week away from being out of warrantee, and my old phone had a ton of scuffs from where pocket sand got between the case and aluminum back.

Now I just put the iOS 7 beta on my shiny new phone, and it does most the things I had jailbroken for anyways.

How does one go about getting the ios7 beta?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You can tell them you used to jailbreak, but if you're having software issues and its still on there they will turn you away.

If you restore and the phone still doesn't work after a jailbreak they don't give a poo poo. They know restoring reverts the phone back.

Your backup might be hosed but whatever.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

How does one go about getting the ios7 beta?

Assuming it still works, apple doesn't block UPDATING to iOS 7. You can't restore to it, but you can update to it. Just find the firmware online, it will probably be on a page with instructions on how to install it. Very simple process.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Switched.on posted:

Assuming it still works, apple doesn't block UPDATING to iOS 7. You can't restore to it, but you can update to it. Just find the firmware online, it will probably be on a page with instructions on how to install it. Very simple process.
That sounds like a nightmare going from a jailbroken filesystem to a beta OS with no restore.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Not really a big deal with address book back up and the purchased tab in iTunes.

Though I don't know why someone would do that. I went JB to latest iOS to beta without a full restore.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Apple replaced the iPod, if anyone cared. No problems.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I was opening some avi files in VLC directly from the camera connection kit with iFile like usual, but this time it didn't open, and I dumbly continued clicking on the file until iFile told me I had ran out of space. Later I searched with WinSCP and it found the avi in several different locations, but neither iFile, WinSCP(it says Permission denied. Error code: 3 Error message from server: Permission denied Request code: 13), iFunbox or iCleaner can get rid of them. Is there anything else I can try before a full reset?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

cisneros posted:

I was opening some avi files in VLC directly from the camera connection kit with iFile like usual, but this time it didn't open, and I dumbly continued clicking on the file until iFile told me I had ran out of space. Later I searched with WinSCP and it found the avi in several different locations, but neither iFile, WinSCP(it says Permission denied. Error code: 3 Error message from server: Permission denied Request code: 13), iFunbox or iCleaner can get rid of them. Is there anything else I can try before a full reset?

You could try SSHnig into your device with PuTTY (guide here) and try to delete it with sudo powers

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

onoflalks posted:

You could try SSHnig into your device with PuTTY (guide here) and try to delete it with sudo powers

I'm not even close to know what to do in a command shell, sorry.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

cisneros posted:

I'm not even close to know what to do in a command shell, sorry.

When you logged in with winscp did you log in as user root with password alpine? Assuming you never changed the default password.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Denim Dude posted:

When you logged in with winscp did you log in as user root with password alpine? Assuming you never changed the default password.

Yeah, I changed it when I got the iPad. I googled some unix commands to use with PuTTy, but I still get
-sh: sudo: command not found
or
rm: cannot remove `***.avi': Operation not permitted
And still can't erase it.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

cisneros posted:

Yeah, I changed it when I got the iPad. I googled some unix commands to use with PuTTy, but I still get
-sh: sudo: command not found
or
rm: cannot remove `***.avi': Operation not permitted
And still can't erase it.

If running the command directly logged in as root doesn't work I don't think sudo is going to help since it just allows you to run commands as root while logged in as a different user. Root should be able to do whatever it wants. Weird.

There was some stuff here i edited out because the program I told you to run doesn't ship with iphone.

Running rm -v file.avi might tell you why you aren't able to remove it.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 3, 2013

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Denim Dude posted:

If running the command directly logged in as root doesn't work I don't think sudo is going to help since it just allows you to run commands as root while logged in as a different user. Root should be able to do whatever it wants. Weird.

There was some stuff here i edited out because the program I told you to run doesn't ship with iphone.

Running rm -v file.avi might tell you why you aren't able to remove it.

That worked, thanks!
edit: I meand the chflags thing, it actually worked on PuTTy.

cisneros fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2013

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

cisneros posted:

That worked, thanks!
edit: I meand the chflags thing, it actually worked on PuTTy.

Woah awesome. I connected with putty and ran chflags and it gave me a command not found error. Welp glad I could help anyways.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Denim Dude posted:

Woah awesome. I connected with putty and ran chflags and it gave me a command not found error. Welp glad I could help anyways.

I don't want to ruin the mystique of this whole thing, but he likely has the file-cmds package installed from Cydia, which includes chflags. It was probably a dependency of another package he installed.

You too can run chflags if you install that package!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I don't want to ruin the mystique of this whole thing, but he likely has the file-cmds package installed from Cydia, which includes chflags. It was probably a dependency of another package he installed.

I have that installed, yeah.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to be mysterious I edited it out because I didn't want people to call me a big dummy for telling him to run some stuff that I didn't even bother to test out first, and then when I did test it it didn't work for me. Then when he said it actually worked for him I was just too lazy to edit it back in.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
God I miss all the little tweaks from being jailbroken. Using vanilla iOS6/7 after being jb'd for so long just doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I have a feeling I won't be upgrading to iOS7 until well after it's jailbroken for that very reason.

• Locked thread