Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Was looking for some fun whisky recipes and came across this

https://www.cooked.com/uk/Samantha-Evans/Quadrille-Publishing/The-Hang-Fire-Cookbook/Drinks--desserts/Stay-puft-recipe?q=stay%20puft

Can someone confirm it’s egg yolk? I feel like it should be white? Especially looking at the pic.

A "Flip" is a type of cocktail that usually uses the whole egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah flips are sort of egg nog in texture and purpose

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Bartender's Tip on the same page suggests where you can use the leftover egg whites. Implying they aren't needed at all for the suburban mom cocktail.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm the rusty strainer in that photo irl

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AdBlock is not kind to that website

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Jaeger Manifest is delicious. We blind tasted it at Bar 5 Day during the amaro session and it was pretty much universally well liked.

How much is it like regular Jaeger? I'm a fan of anything super anise-heavy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

zmcnulty posted:

The Bartender's Tip on the same page suggests where you can use the leftover egg whites. Implying they aren't needed at all for the suburban mom cocktail.
Of course, I'm usually in the position of having leftover yolks.

Which is easy; I put it in a little cast iron pan and cook it and it becomes a protein supplement for the parrots.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've run out of vermouth, don't want to shake a cocktail as it'll disturb my partner who's asleep. Anyone have fun stirred cocktails that don't require vermouth? I've a decent bar available.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

No one has ever regretted mixing up an old fashioned.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Carillon posted:

I've run out of vermouth

Then let them drink quinquina! :monocle:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Following up on that, now that I'm gonna rebuy more vermouth what's your favorites? I generally get either Dolin or Noilly Prat, but have enjoyed Carpano Antica, just not at the 35 bucks a bottle I would usually have to pay. Are blanc vermouths worth while? What do you do with them outside of a white negroni?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Carillon posted:

Following up on that, now that I'm gonna rebuy more vermouth what's your favorites? I generally get either Dolin or Noilly Prat, but have enjoyed Carpano Antica, just not at the 35 bucks a bottle I would usually have to pay. Are blanc vermouths worth while? What do you do with them outside of a white negroni?

For sweet vermouth, for my money there’s no beating Cocchi. Carpano Antica seems to be more popuar, but Cocchi is half the price and I prefer the taste. It has a cola flavor to it that I’m quite fond of.

I recently picked up a bottle of Ransom sweet vermouth. It’s expensive for vermouth, but oddly enough, the sweet, raisiny flavor profile means it would probably work as a substitution for pedro ximenez sherry in any recipe, and it’s not a bad price for that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vya Extra Dry is extremely good, if you can find it. I haven't tried most of the more recently-distributed vermouths because they tend to be on the pricey side and frankly, between Dolin, Carpano, and Noilly-Prat (which honestly I still totally love, such a great quality-to-price ratio) I feel like bases are well-covered. Moving into quinquinas is really fun. Cocchi is great, as is Cocchi Rosa. Dubonnet Rouge is another very inexpensive for the quality fortified wine, and if you shake a lot of Angostura into it and serve it over ice it's very nearly a sangria. I'm also a fan of the Lillet line.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dolin is good enough for me with dry, and their blanc is actually really nice. I keep Cocchi and Punt e Mes for sweet.

Blanc is not widely used, but it is pretty critical when called for. I use it in place of dry sometimes depending on my mood and if I want a slightly sweeter drink.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I had a half bottle of Del Professore Bianco Classico vermouth left, which I highly recommend, and it worked great in an after-work 2:1 martini with some olive brine and a dash of orange bitters. Not too boozy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The very last booze left in my house last night, which I'm calling The Miccosukee for my now-former street:

~1.5 oz Campari
~ 1 oz white rum
2 Tbsp toasted simple syrup

Stir with ice using a plastic spoon in a novelty mug and sip in an empty room.

It tastes like winning.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Does John Taylor’s Velvet Falernum need to be refrigerated?

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Would this be the place to ask about shandies and radlers? Or is there a beer thread that would be more appropriate?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does John Taylor’s Velvet Falernum need to be refrigerated?

No

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Canadian Bakin posted:

Would this be the place to ask about shandies and radlers? Or is there a beer thread that would be more appropriate?

Doesn’t hurt to ask. We’re just going to tell you to add a shot of Campari though

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

The Maestro posted:

Doesn’t hurt to ask. We’re just going to tell you to add a shot of Campari though

So long as that doesn't involve strong anise or licorice flavors I'd be at least willing to try. I don't think I've had it yet, to my knowledge.

I've been trying to figure out how to make my own radlers, specifically grapefruit, as I want to try something made with local beers. I'm having a bit of difficulty with the ratios and wondering if I'm better off to be using a grapefuit soda rather than actual fruit juice. Also if perhaps my choice of beer is leading me astray since my first attempt was with a lager.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you go to a beer garden in munich and get a radler they're going to pour sparkling lemonade from a bottle into the glass and then pour beer on top of that so soda is A-OK

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For refrigerated things like Vermouth and Lillet, would they benefit from some inert gas over them when they go back in the refrigerator? I have some Private Preserve here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

For refrigerated things like Vermouth and Lillet, would they benefit from some inert gas over them when they go back in the refrigerator? I have some Private Preserve here.

The Oxygen Not Included thread is thattaway

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/best-way-to-store-vermouth-for-cocktails-fridge-vs-winesaver-rebottling.html

quote:

It normally takes me about one to two months to go through a bottle of full-sized bottle of sweet vermouth. Based on these experiments, I'll be storing my vermouth in the fridge without inert gas or at room temp with inert gas if I don't have fridge space.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Canadian Bakin posted:

These folks will hook you up with all the Beer Opinions you could ask for: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I gotta start exploring more of Sasha Petraske’s recipes. I quite enjoyed the Left Hand, and I just made this tonight and it is absolutely going to be a summertime staple going forward:

Just killer. Crisp and savory and lightly sweet, and beautiful to boot.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Oh hey, since everyone is asking about refrigeration...do I need to refrigerate something I've milk washed? I honestly have no idea. I have been just to be safe (it's the coffee-infused Ron Zacapa recipe from Liquid Intelligence).

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Oh hey, since everyone is asking about refrigeration...do I need to refrigerate something I've milk washed? I honestly have no idea. I have been just to be safe (it's the coffee-infused Ron Zacapa recipe from Liquid Intelligence).

I don't know if anyone has actually tested it, but since you're both diluting it (even if I wouldn't expect it to be enough to get things to really start growing in it) and introducing both fats and proteins that can become gross even if they're technically safe, I would refrigerate if possible unless you know it wont be around for long.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
On the subject of vermouth, what's a good widely available vermouth for someone who has never had a martini before? I'll be making it with Hendrick's Gin.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

wormil posted:

On the subject of vermouth, what's a good widely available vermouth for someone who has never had a martini before? I'll be making it with Hendrick's Gin.

Dolin dry is one of the cheapest, and well regarded. It’s my go-to for a martini.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like Dolin and Noilly Prat in my martinis. I tend to go with gins that are more juniper forward than Hendricks, so I can't say for sure it'll be perfect, but they're solid choices and shouldn't be too hard to find. My local grocery store carries Dolin for instance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Unfortunately the only vermouth I've been able to find today is Martini & Rossi. Buy or pass?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I would drink & enjoy a martini & rossi martini over not having a martini at all :shrug:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 12, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

wormil posted:

Unfortunately the only vermouth I've been able to find today is Martini & Rossi. Buy or pass?

It's pretty widely considered to be the worst option available, but if it's all you can get ahold of go for it. Something like an ABC liquor store would have a couple varieties including Dolin aka the most versatile and affordable option.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went ahead and bought the Martini & Rossi and then at least when I find a better vermouth I'll appreciate it more. I'm surprised actually I went to the better grocery store in town they have a fairly good wine selection I expect them to have more options.

I'll check at the ABC store and see if they have any. I want to branch out and try more gin anyway. So far I like Hendrick's and Tanqueray.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

wormil posted:

I went ahead and bought the Martini & Rossi and then at least when I find a better vermouth I'll appreciate it more. I'm surprised actually I went to the better grocery store in town they have a fairly good wine selection I expect them to have more options.

I'll check at the ABC store and see if they have any. I want to branch out and try more gin anyway. So far I like Hendrick's and Tanqueray.

Beefeater is probably the best gin for the money out there. I favor St. Augustine, but that's probably at least halfway because it's local to where I live. I also enjoyed Gin Lane 1751, they make a great Old Tom.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I noticed they have Beefeater and Beefeater 24, is the latter worth an extra fiver?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's a different beast. Regular Beefeater is more juniper-forward and classic, while the 24 is like Bombay Sapphire et al in that it incorporates more botanicals and has a more restrained juniper bite. I personally prefer Bombay original to Beefeater, and in general I prefer the classic juniper-heavy styles to the more mellow botanical styles. Beefeater is definitely still good gin though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Qylvaran posted:

These folks will hook you up with all the Beer Opinions you could ask for: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you go to a beer garden in munich and get a radler they're going to pour sparkling lemonade from a bottle into the glass and then pour beer on top of that so soda is A-OK

Thanks to both! I've bookmarked the beer thread, and I'm going to try the sparkling lemonade thing myself.