Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

euphronius posted:

The lotr mmo literally has a hope and dread mechanic iirc

lotro is probably the best visual rendition of the books thats out there, at least from what ive played (up to and including rivendell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

euphronius posted:

- can change size

Is that true? I was under the impression that while bigger than humans it couldn't be the gigantic monster you see in the movie on account that it has to fit through doors, I don't remember any actual reference to its size changing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

YaketySass posted:

Is that true? I was under the impression that while bigger than humans it couldn't be the gigantic monster you see in the movie on account that it has to fit through doors, I don't remember any actual reference to its size changing.

When it confronted Gandalf on the bridge it “drew itself up to a great height, and its wings” (that it didn’t have) “were spread from wall to wall”. It seems to tower over Gandalf. Who knows how much this is a physical and how much a spiritual change.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I thought it was kinda clever how Jackson split the difference and gave the Balrog actual wings... made of black smoke

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Balrog of the movies always reminded me of a Doom character. I always saw it more as a way more frightening shadow creature rather than big horns fire wings nonsense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll defend the Jackson Balrog because that is one of the best vfx designs ever created.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

lotro is probably the best visual rendition of the books thats out there, at least from what ive played (up to and including rivendell)

Is it going to die anytime soon? I should give it a whirl again since I’m wfh forever apparently

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I like the round shape the horns give to the head but the general design could have afforded to be a bit less reminiscent of a classic Christian demon, I agree. It looks best in the first few seconds where it's kept in shadow imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2fwe0rnHak&t=127s

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love the movie Balrog. If nothing else, the sound it emits when roaring is truly incredible.

I’d pay good money to see JRR or Christopher Tolkien watch the Balrog segments in Shadow of War. They’d die a second time.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Well, they would spend all their lifes getting better at their vocations, make really cool gems and then wage world shatering wars when someone steals them.
Feanor is a huge dick.
I guess we could look at their animistic reverence as trying to understand iluvatars song , but elves seem to spend a lot of their time just pinning for what was.i think thats their animus."this forest was here before the noldor, it must be really special."
I dont think theres anyone mentioned trying to do something new.except celebrimbor.whos also a dick.
Actually, everyone who tries to create something new is a huge dick.
Man, lotr is regressive as gently caress.
"This guy invented the plow!war!" *Wrecks seven diferent kingdoms*

Part of the deal with Elves is that they're bound to Arda (the immortality is part of it) and can't really change too much of their core being, for all their aloofness and power. The whole point of Men is that they were given more freedom (death is actually a gift).

Shibawanko posted:

I played LOTRO up through Rivendell too and liked the visuals a lot. It's been years though, and I guess they've kept expanding?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigglesSWE posted:

I love the movie Balrog. If nothing else, the sound it emits when roaring is truly incredible.

I’d pay good money to see JRR or Christopher Tolkien watch the Balrog segments in Shadow of War. They’d die a second time.

Better yet make them watch a playthrough of The Third Age where you fight the Eye of Sauron in a final fantasy turn based system.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Better yet make them watch a playthrough of The Third Age where you fight the Eye of Sauron in a final fantasy turn based system.

It’d be the end of Raiders, rofl.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The balrog fight in shadow of war is great, what would they complain about? "oh no they took something i created and made a fun thing out of it, how dreadfull".
They would probably be dismissive of blind guardians album too, and that's also awesome.
"Oh no feanor is not a contralto with harsh vocals and theres a pentatonic meter to the the riff, the elves would never do that!"
"Sure thing bud!"*headbangs to the chorus of nightfall*

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Don’t get me wrong: I love those Middle Earthgames. They’re real fun and they lean into the craziness big time in the second one. I just like to imagine how the Tolkien estate, being for the longest time led by the driest people in existence, would react to the balls to the walls insanity that is the lore in those games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whats the other one where Gwahir is your buddy who drops by to deliver exposition like he's the owl from Ocarina of Time? War in the North, i think?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the best tolkien game is the riders of rohan

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LOTRO looks nice but it's an MMO so you're still walking into the meadows immediately outside Bree to kill 10 bears, which wander around at all hours about 50 yards apart.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also if you don't subscribe you hit a paywall about every ten feet, so you can either sub or spend about $400 on content if you want to see the whole game.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BigglesSWE posted:

Don’t get me wrong: I love those Middle Earthgames. They’re real fun and they lean into the craziness big time in the second one. I just like to imagine how the Tolkien estate, being for the longest time led by the driest people in existence, would react to the balls to the walls insanity that is the lore in those games.

Well, to quote Tolkien himself, from the introduction to the Sil:

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and sexy Shelob."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sauron hosed a giant spider

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll defend the Jackson Balrog because that is one of the best vfx designs ever created.

Same, I've never heard anyone say they disliked it before. My dad grew up on Flash Gordon serials and The Day The Earth Stood Still, etc. and said when he first saw the Balrog he was legitimately terrified on a visceral level. It's easy to say, especially 20 years later, that it's derivative or whatever, but I think they really did tap into something.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Tolkien’s Middle-Earth: drat you, sexy Shelob!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

You just know sauron got freaky with some werewolves.

Man, i want the amazon series to get freaky.show me hildorien.show me the wall of the sun. Show me the fate of the blue wizards.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Stupid sexy shelob

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Same, I've never heard anyone say they disliked it before. My dad grew up on Flash Gordon serials and The Day The Earth Stood Still, etc. and said when he first saw the Balrog he was legitimately terrified on a visceral level. It's easy to say, especially 20 years later, that it's derivative or whatever, but I think they really did tap into something.

I will always have a soft spot for those films because my Dad and I watched them as they came out together in theaters and then I asked for the extended cut of all three movies and he bought it for me and we watched those too.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

When it confronted Gandalf on the bridge it “drew itself up to a great height, and its wings” (that it didn’t have) “were spread from wall to wall”. It seems to tower over Gandalf. Who knows how much this is a physical and how much a spiritual change.

It could be read that the "shadow about it" is part of its being, or even its actual being, so it can stretch or reshape itself to a degree - "reaching out like two vast wings" seems a pretty clear clue that it doesn't have actual wings.

But yeah, given what it is that could easily be a demonstration of spiritual force instead.

Incidentally I tracked down the Mary Fairburn Tolkien calendar recently, and she seems to be of the Balrogs Got Wings party:

I really like that pic, though her Treebeard makes me honk with laughter:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe it should fly out if the gorge there with it’s wings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Runcible Cat posted:

It could be read that the "shadow about it" is part of its being, or even its actual being, so it can stretch or reshape itself to a degree - "reaching out like two vast wings" seems a pretty clear clue that it doesn't have actual wings.

But yeah, given what it is that could easily be a demonstration of spiritual force instead.

Incidentally I tracked down the Mary Fairburn Tolkien calendar recently, and she seems to be of the Balrogs Got Wings party:

I really like that pic, though her Treebeard makes me honk with laughter:

Si es Goya, tiene que ser bueno

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

You just know sauron got freaky with some werewolves.

He knew what was underneath Thuringwethil's bat-fell. :Eye winks:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

euphronius posted:

How'd it manage to fall down that teeny hole there in the first place with its wings?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The decline of ideological rigor and analysis since the First Age prevents the Balrog from achieving lift with its voluminous but weak bat wings. This is of course largely due to the action of noted running-dog lackey of the so-called Valar, Earendil, who unjustly deprived Melkor (who you may know as Morgoth, the slanderous name applied by the Elfocracy) of his rightful due as the senior Maiar in the world-project, which has been denied to him on a range of grounds, including claims of electoral irregularities in the Misty Mountains and unfounded allegations of seeking to "dominate and destroy all."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Swear to God the riffing in this thread would be impeccable if we could get it through our heads that Maiar is plural and Maia is singular

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

The air was denser back in the first age, so balrogs could achieve flight on a light jog.
This is also why everything was bigger and very combustible, a oxygen rich atmosphere.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 21, 2020

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The air was denser back in the first age, so balrogs could achieve flight on a light jog.
This is also why everything was bigger and very combustable, a oxygen rich atmosphere.

As well as light the Trees obviously produced a hell of a lot of O2.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Runcible Cat posted:

How'd it manage to fall down that teeny hole there in the first place with its wings?

Balrogs are flightless birds, like dodos.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

euphronius posted:

Clearly the balrog is an emu

I gotta say it's a genius level troll on Tolkien's part to describe the wings in both literal and metaphoric terms within the same few paragraphs, keeping angry nerds energised for decades

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

The power of the maiar, the speed and temperament of a ostrich, truly the balrogs are terrifying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The best bit is how angry some folk get at anyone who has the opposite opinion as if whether Balrogs have wings matters *even slightly* in terms of the meaning of the story or what you take away from it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Compromise: the balrog has one wing, Sephiroth style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

What realy gets my goat is vampires.first age, vampires, then 0 vampires.
The only conclusion is that Arda in the second age had way more right angles.