Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

Fair enough. The Air2 was like perfect basically. I guess I don’t get why they messed with it.

The Air2 was $499. Then they introduced the new iPad at $329 and iPad Pro at $599.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FCKGW posted:

The Air2 was $499. Then they introduced the new iPad at $329 and iPad Pro at $599.

Base storage doubled with the Pro intro, didn’t it? You can kind of mental-gymnastic that into “same price”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Base storage doubled with the Pro intro, didn’t it? You can kind of mental-gymnastic that into “same price”

Yeah, went from 32 to 64.
$100 got you 256 instead of 128 as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I make my iPad stop turning on my iPhone's personal hotspot? I think it's a nice feature in theory but in practice I am seeing it connect to my phone's 4G way, way too much. In my iPhone I have disabled personal hotspot, but my iPad still manages to turn it back on. I don't see a switch/option to turn this auto-enabling feature on anywhere.

I'm not really worried about it using up my data plan but more that my iPad will keep connecting to my phone's 4G when I otherwise am not using it, like when it's sitting in a bag or on a table somewhere and I don't need internet.

Furthermore if I connect to my phone's hotspot how do I disconnect from it on the iPad? There's no option to do that other than turning off wifi altogether it looks like but that's not what I want either.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I make my iPad stop turning on my iPhone's personal hotspot? I think it's a nice feature in theory but in practice I am seeing it connect to my phone's 4G way, way too much. In my iPhone I have disabled personal hotspot, but my iPad still manages to turn it back on. I don't see a switch/option to turn this auto-enabling feature on anywhere.

I'm not really worried about it using up my data plan but more that my iPad will keep connecting to my phone's 4G when I otherwise am not using it, like when it's sitting in a bag or on a table somewhere and I don't need internet.

Furthermore if I connect to my phone's hotspot how do I disconnect from it on the iPad? There's no option to do that other than turning off wifi altogether it looks like but that's not what I want either.

Tap the info button next to the iPhone under wifi settings and unselect auto-join.

fr3lm0 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 14, 2018

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boris Galerkin posted:

From control center, toggle the WiFi switch “off.” If you turned autojoin off, you can turn it back on immediately. Otherwise you should wait about 10 seconds for the phone hotspot to turn itself off too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fr3lm0 posted:

Tap the info button next to the iPhone under wifi seeing and unselect auto-join.

I didn’t think to do this. Thanks!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

We should be happy Apple didn't abandon the low end tablet market altogether.

Where's my iPad mini 5? :(

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Snuffman posted:

Where's my iPad mini 5? :(

it’s called an iphone 8 plus

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Nah. My wife has fairly small hands so she's happy with her regular sized phone for normal phone stuff, but likes using her Mini for reading and Netflix. I'm really hoping for a new Mini to upgrade her ageing 2 but it's looking more and more like I need to just bite the bullet and find a 4 :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Digital Jesus posted:

Nah. My wife has fairly small hands so she's happy with her regular sized phone for normal phone stuff, but likes using her Mini for reading and Netflix. I'm really hoping for a new Mini to upgrade her ageing 2 but it's looking more and more like I need to just bite the bullet and find a 4 :(

A Mini 4 with 128GB (the only size they sell now) is $399 with the A8

The new iPad with 128GB is $429 with the A10 (32GB option is $329)

I'd probably go with the newer iPad, and if all she does is read and Netflix the 32GB option is probably your best chouice.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed. But she doesn’t want it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but I just found out (on reddit) that tapping a link with two fingers in Safari will open the link in a new tab in the background.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but I just found out (on reddit) that tapping a link with two fingers in Safari will open the link in a new tab in the background.
:wtc: It’s not common knowledge afaik, although it only seems to be a shortcut to opening a new tab in front. Maybe background if you have Safari set to do that :iiam:.

I was about to say it doesn’t seem to work, but I was testing out on the quote link/graphic. Seems to work on everything else I’ve tried so far though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This isn't exactly iPad related but I didn't see a general iOS thread so it's going here. I have a new iPod running on the most up to date iOS and sometimes it shits the bed when playing through Bluetooth or USB connection and plays double audio. It's like a hosed up echo that only stops when I kill the music/podcast/ibook app. Is there any reason it does that or is it just me having horrible luck with ithings again?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow that is cool and useful, thanks!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Most links are too small for me to tap with 2 fingers i don't get it

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

African AIDS cum posted:

Most links are too small for me to tap with 2 fingers i don't get it

Works fine if just one of the fingers hits the link also that username :wow:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Awhile back a (now departed) coworker gave me an iPad with a broken screen. I paid to have the screen replaced with the intention of giving it to my nephew and niece. Of course, now that I've paid for the screen, I've discovered that the iPad is activation locked to what I'm presuming is my old coworkers icloud account. The full address is obscured so I can only see "m******@gmail.com". I contacted Apple and they told me that there isn't anything they can do without the original receipt. I have no way of getting in touch with the person that gave me the iPad so that's not really an option. Upon further research I see that there are companies that will bypass activation lock for a fee. Anyone here have any experience with this? Are these services legit? Any ones you can recommend as good or bad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry your coworker died.

Yeah there really is no way to get past the activation lock at this point. Not sure if I’d put my faith into any of the shady sites.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry your coworker died.

Yeah there really is no way to get past the activation lock at this point. Not sure if I’d put my faith into any of the shady sites.

That's pretty much what I figured. Guess I'll just chalk this one up to experience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

That's pretty much what I figured. Guess I'll just chalk this one up to experience.

Yeah I mean have you tried like facebooking the coworker? If they gave it to you I’d assume they’d do it for you.

Also I love pip so much on the 12.9 pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I mean have you tried like facebooking the coworker? If they gave it to you I’d assume they’d do it for you.

:mensch:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Also I love pip so much on the 12.9 pro.

What game is this (not baseball but the main part)? It looks like some kind of multiplayer Puzzle Quest that I very much need in my life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

What game is this (not baseball but the main part)? It looks like some kind of multiplayer Puzzle Quest that I very much need in my life.

It’s called gems of war and yes it’s pretty much puzzle quest.

It’s F2P but IMO it’s the most friendly out of all of them. There are no timers or energy or poo poo so you could play all day if you want.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736873

That’s the SA thread for it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Welp I’m so getting fired

Thank you

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

If it happens to be a cellular iPad, there might be a way to desolder the cellular part, which changes the ID from the IMEI to the serial and it’s not locked anymore after that. It’ll be WiFi only at that point though.

I’m not sure how to do it, and I’m not 100% sure it still works, this was a couple of years ago.

But yeah, if you could find the guy, he can also delete it via the iCloud web site.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TVs Ian posted:

If it happens to be a cellular iPad, there might be a way to desolder the cellular part, which changes the ID from the IMEI to the serial and it’s not locked anymore after that. It’ll be WiFi only at that point though.

I’m not sure how to do it, and I’m not 100% sure it still works, this was a couple of years ago.

But yeah, if you could find the guy, he can also delete it via the iCloud web site.

Make sure to delete it from the FMF part of the website. Turns out that is a separate list from the iCloud devices section - had to find out with a few back and forth when I sold a watch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I read the post I thought departed meant that he left the company. It didn’t even cross my mind that he died until the other guy mentioned it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
When I go to settings and then to “Accounts and Passwords” I see all the different accounts I set up on my iPad. Gmail, my other mail provider, calendars etc and iCloud. In the small grey text beneath the account name it shows which features you are using. I’m using reminders, notes, and storage & backup. Yet the grey text also lists “health”. There is no health app on iPad. On my iPhone I have health in iCloud deactivated. On my iPhone it’s not listed in that grey text yet on my iPad where there isn’t even an app for it, it is listed. What gives? Anyone else seeing the same?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

bronin posted:

When I go to settings and then to “Accounts and Passwords” I see all the different accounts I set up on my iPad. Gmail, my other mail provider, calendars etc and iCloud. In the small grey text beneath the account name it shows which features you are using. I’m using reminders, notes, and storage & backup. Yet the grey text also lists “health”. There is no health app on iPad. On my iPhone I have health in iCloud deactivated. On my iPhone it’s not listed in that grey text yet on my iPad where there isn’t even an app for it, it is listed. What gives? Anyone else seeing the same?

Negatory. Congrats on your special edition iPad I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hello Spaceman posted:

Negatory. Congrats on your special edition iPad I guess.

I have the same on mine as well.

bronin posted:

Is there an actual Health option when you go into the iCloud Account details on the iPad? I have it on my iPhone but not my iPad.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Proteus Jones posted:

I have the same on mine as well.

Is there an actual Health option when you go into the iCloud Account details on the iPad? I have it on my iPhone but not my iPad.

No, there is no actual health option when I go into the iCloud account on my iPad. It’s weird. I deactivated the health app in iCloud on my iPhone. I even set the iPad up as new. Didn’t help, so it must have something to do with my Apple ID

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have it too but it doesn’t show up when I tap on the iCloud account. On my iPhone I have Health enabled though.

If I pull down and search for Health it takes me to the privacy settings but there isn’t a Health option either.

:shrug:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have it too but it doesn’t show up when I tap on the iCloud account. On my iPhone I have Health enabled though.

If I pull down and search for Health it takes me to the privacy settings but there isn’t a Health option either.

:shrug:

hmm ok I guess it's just some sort of glitch then. It's basically just aesthetic anyway.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I read the post I thought departed meant that he left the company. It didn’t even cross my mind that he died until the other guy mentioned it.

Yep, he dead. You'd think that Apple would have some kind of provision for this scenario. New owner provides proof of ownership/possession, Apple checks SN/IMEI against a list of devices reported stolen or lost, and if the device isn't on that list, it is allowed to reactivate. Oh well, cest la vie.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
What's the best keyboard for an iPad mini? I'm going to be lugging it on a backpacking trip for a month and a half, so lightweight is better. Thanks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thehoodie posted:

What's the best keyboard for an iPad mini? I'm going to be lugging it on a backpacking trip for a month and a half, so lightweight is better. Thanks

If price is no issue the K811 by Logitech. BT that can hold 3 different profiles for pairing and rechargeable (battery life is really good for rechargeable).

K380 if you want to pay about 1/3 the price of the K811. Key’s are more round in shape and keyboard more plasticky. Also uses alkaline batteries, but like most Logitech devices it lasts for a freakishly long time. It’s also able to hold 3 pairing profiles.

K811 has MacOS/iOS keyboard keys and symbols.

K380 is more generic and has glyphs for both iOS and Android.

E: Oh, month and a half and lightweight. Definitely get the K380 then.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Definitely recommend the K380.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have and recommend the k380. The round keys are actually very easy to type on and it takes a total of 10 seconds to get used to.

Also I got mine a year ago and the batteries that came with it are still going strong.