Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

SO I got pulled into the meeting early at 9.

Basic rundown, They are disappointed that I am not willing to expand my skill set at all, and disappointed that I was unwilling to be a team player. They wrote me up for insubordination and I lost the 'raise' I was going to get.

Please tell me you're getting notification of that other job soon. It pains us to see you like this.

Also 100% agree that 'raise' never existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Migishu posted:

Please tell me you're getting notification of that other job soon. It pains us to see you like this.

Also 100% agree that 'raise' never existed.

I was sure the raise never existed either. Now they have a better excuse to not give it aside form "welp, were too cheap"

With luck I should hear by Tuesday, though it may be sooner. I don't want to give to many specifics until I know I got it.

They are supposed to have a written copy of the writeup for me to sign.. I don't plan on signing it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

I was sure the raise never existed either. Now they have a better excuse to not give it aside form "welp, were too cheap"

With luck I should hear by Tuesday, though it may be sooner. I don't want to give to many specifics until I know I got it.

They are supposed to have a written copy of the writeup for me to sign.. I don't plan on signing it.

Tell them you need to consult with your lawyer before signing anything. Also ask them to sign your written copy first.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Basic rundown, They are disappointed that I am not willing to expand my skill set at all, and disappointed that I was unwilling to be a team player. They wrote me up for insubordination and I lost the 'raise' I was going to get.

gently caress that place.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Oh I'm sorry; are you willing to pay me more for my ongoing training? I don't see ${PRODUCT_NAME} as part of my job requirement. Are you willing to train me off the support desk in ${PRODUCT_NAME} ?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Oh I'm sorry; are you willing to pay me more for my ongoing training? I don't see ${PRODUCT_NAME} as part of my job requirement. Are you willing to train me off the support desk in ${PRODUCT_NAME} ?

THIS IS ENTRAPMENT!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zorak of Michigan posted:

When I was at Worldcom, their big Ashburn office complex had the bathroom tile laid at about a 15 degree angle from the walls. They did it deliberately to make the bathrooms unpleasant. As you can imagine, this did not actually improve productivity.

What? I don't understand how the orientation of the floor tiling in a bathroom is supposed to make it unpleasant unless they just omit the flooring entirely.

But even then, I'm wearing shoes so who cares.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Inspector_666 posted:

What? I don't understand how the orientation of the floor tiling in a bathroom is supposed to make it unpleasant unless they just omit the flooring entirely.

I think that Zorak means that the floor is sloping by 15 degrees?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

ratbert90 posted:

I was going to post that blacksword could have threatened that with his lack of knowledge of ${product}, if he actioned anything it could leave the company in the poo poo.

But then I realised that from his stories, if he hosed anything up he would... get a promotion!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I once had to rack one of these fuckers by myself. It was "manageable" once I pulled out all the blades, all the cards, all the power supplies and the entire backplane. gently caress that.

Also "raises" are not based on singular events. Raises are not carrots on a stick. Raises are a re-appraisal of your value to the company over some long-term period. If this single event is enough to completely redefine your value to that degree, well, that's kind of absurd.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Also "raises" are not based on singular events. Raises are not carrots on a stick. Raises are a re-appraisal of your value to the company over some long-term period. If this single event is enough to completely redefine your value to that degree, well, that's kind of absurd.

Ill be honest, I don't think I've worked at a place where the raise wasn't a carrot, or hinged on individual tickets/issues.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlternateAccount posted:

I once had to rack one of these fuckers by myself. It was "manageable" once I pulled out all the blades, all the cards, all the power supplies and the entire backplane. gently caress that.

Ever heard of a rack lift?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

evol262 posted:

That's the guy from Harry Potter, right?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've racked way too many amplifiers on my own without the luxury of click rails, just the front bolts, that I get assistance even for heavier switches. Like a procurve 3500 I don't do solo unless there's already something under it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

gently caress anything rack mounted that isn't on rails.

1U switches are ok I guess. Barely.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evol262 posted:

Yeah, those are pretty cool, but I was working for the most low-rent, cheap as hell, fuckstick datacenter in the area. They don't just love cutting corners, they won't be happy until they've rendered a perfect sphere.
I learned a fair amount, but it sucked. It's why I don't work there anymore.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The floor was flat but the nice neat square pattern of the tiling was offset from all the walls, partitions, etc by fifteen degrees. The office gossip said it was meant to be subtly disconcerting or something like that. I wouldn't have believed it but why else would they do the tile that way? It meant they had to cut all the tiles rather than just cutting along the boundaries, and it was the same in all the bathrooms. Someone specifically want the square tiles installed that way.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a bunch of phone calls came in

Internet is slow for most of our clients. All the ISPs have told us the same thing "Olympics sorry, nothing we can do. Try 30 minutes after the hockey game ends"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's all your loving fault.

Seriouspost: Do your senior techs actually do anything, or do they hang out in the hookers and blow dept. and poo poo on you continually?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Caged posted:

It's all your loving fault.

Seriouspost: Do your senior techs actually do anything, or do they hang out in the hookers and blow dept. and poo poo on you continually?

I'm not sure what the do when they aren't at the office. When they are here they seem to youtube mostly. And it is also not just me, a few of the other jr guys get stuff bounced to them that is way above their skill level. That is one thing I've noticed since I've been in the office this week.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

blackswordca posted:

At this point, I can just presume that your meeting was with this person:

Are you still an effective team?
                /

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I get the feeling that your company is all about customer service and responsiveness, and being able to bullshit talk to customers is valued more than actually knowing what you are doing. And if you mess up, hey, IT is hard and it is a good thing the customer is giving money to your company to deal with it, or else the customer would have to.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

blackswordca posted:

EDIT: Goddamnit lum stop poaching my posts before i make them.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Got to move all my stuff to the satellite office today. Instead of being on a team of 4 supporting ~800 researchers/scientists at the main location and another ~60 spread out around the city at 4 research/testing sites, I'm now a team of 1 supporting 80 users at the business office. I have an actual office with a door (that locks!), even though I have the circuit breakers for the whole building in my office. My officemate is the LAN administrator and is only onsite T-W-Th.

This site has all the finance, accounting, travel relocation and procurement staff, and a couple lawyers from General Counsel. No weird-rear end software suites that don't want to run on anything other than Win2K to connect to lab equipment over serial ports, no more nasty rear end keyboards and mice covered in crypto, giardia, MRSA and god know what else gets carried over from the labs (seriously, we just trash keyboard and mice when we deprovision equipment at this point). The most obscure thing I'm going to have to deal with is Java compatibility issues with our outdated and poorly coded webapps, and maybe some Adobe Acrobat.

My predecessor left me his Win7 and Server 2008 MCSA training materials. This is gonna be nice.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Does anyone remember around which page the cool IT avatar things were posted?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Collateral Damage posted:

Of course it CAN be done on your own, but doing it with two people means less risk of hurting yourself, less risk of breaking something, and it's much easier.

I've never understood this desire of people to make things hard for themselves by insisting on doing it on their own.

Two companies ago, a two man racking and cabling job on any gear below waist level meant that the guy in the hot aisle got to smell at least one fart from the guy in the front. Guys were constantly farting into the front of servers and having the fans pull the smell through and out the back for the other guy to enjoy.

We once had a shoving match in the cold aisle of one of our data centers during an argument over which of the two guys was going to stand in the hot aisle during a refit.

That place was run and operated by goddamn retarded retards.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm always impressed by users' ability to linger annoyingly over your shoulder for just up to the point when you need to ask or show them something, then when you turn around they've mysteriously disappeared. Today the user decided me replacing their computer was a good time to wander away to a nearby vacant cube and call their bank or something where they promptly sat on the line on hold. At least they offered to hang up when I needed them to test something.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

Two companies ago, a two man racking and cabling job on any gear below waist level meant that the guy in the hot aisle got to smell at least one fart from the guy in the front. Guys were constantly farting into the front of servers and having the fans pull the smell through and out the back for the other guy to enjoy.

We once had a shoving match in the cold aisle of one of our data centers during an argument over which of the two guys was going to stand in the hot aisle during a refit.

That place was run and operated by goddamn retarded retards.

When I was a welder, we wore air hoods that had an intake we wore on our belts and blew air in our faces so we wouldnt be breathing in fumes all day. If anyone had to fart they would find the nearest guy with an air hood and position rear end to intake.

Smelling salts were also commonly cracked open by the intakes when people were mid-weld.

Welders are assholes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

position rear end to intake

This made me laugh way to loud than I should have for my office environment.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When I was a welder, we wore air hoods that had an intake we wore on our belts and blew air in our faces so we wouldnt be breathing in fumes all day. If anyone had to fart they would find the nearest guy with an air hood and position rear end to intake.

Smelling salts were also commonly cracked open by the intakes when people were mid-weld.

Welders are assholes.

Did you guys not watch the safety video? Gentle pressure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhskXf_5XU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Welders are assholes.

That seems dangerous.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MG42 posted:

Here's the whole collection, go nuts.

Found it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

That seems dangerous.

Eeh, you just get a strong whiff of ammonia.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
a ticket came in... It's the part-time legal guy, who's today at his home office, wanting updates on a half-dozen tickets he filed asking for everything from an extra monitor cable for his home office to use with his personal monitor, to dropbox access, to an extra monitor for his desk at the office. All of these were closed as he's not getting any of them.

Oh, also he CC'd the head of IT and the COO

:cripes:

Also two minutes later he filed two more tickets that were labelled "IMPORTANT GRAPHICAL MESSAGE (SEE ATTACHMENT)" both of which were "What IT does loll!!!" images.

I'm stopping by the liquor store on the way home.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in... It's the part-time legal guy, who's today at his home office, wanting updates on a half-dozen tickets he filed asking for everything from an extra monitor cable for his home office to use with his personal monitor, to dropbox access, to an extra monitor for his desk at the office. All of these were closed as he's not getting any of them.

:cripes:

Also two minutes later he filed two more tickets that were labelled "IMPORTANT GRAPHICAL MESSAGE (SEE ATTACHMENT)" both of which were "What IT does loll!!!" images.

I'm stopping by the liquor store on the way home.

Did he at least CC: his :lol: mails? Perhaps they should be attached to the closed tickets, in case the C-levels need to refer back. <innocent whistling>

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Did he at least CC: his :lol: mails? Perhaps they should be attached to the closed tickets, in case the C-levels need to refer back. <innocent whistling>

CC the CIO and IT head when you reply to his tickets asking him if he believes them to be professional in any way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Eeh, you just get a strong whiff of ammonia.

Yeah, I looked up exactly what it does and I thought it kind of made you involuntarily recoil, which seems like a bad thing when you're welding.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought it kind of made you involuntarily recoil

The farts did this.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

I'm glad our CIO and COO take a very dim view of users CCing them on stupid bullshit. The last guy who CCd them on wanting a third monitor after we had denied him twice got A Strongly Worded Letter in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Roargasm posted:

I'm really wary of any kind of open naptime or "fun in the workplace" policy because it just gives them a convenient excuse to make you practically live at work. Facebook campus is full of games, bands, food, and fun things but gently caress you if you're leaving before 8pm. If it's a normal 9-5 and you can do this stuff, then your boss's boss needs to get his poo poo together because it's not that hard to go 100% for 8 hours

Yeah, I agree. If you are being offered laundry service, lunch, etc., it's a way of encouraging you to not have a reason to go home and get tasks accomplished.

• Locked thread