Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't that just Oxycontin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't that just nyquil?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oxys are Oxycodone. Much less powrful than straight morphine.

In other related facts: Heroin is Diamorphine. And that also found it's way into various tonics and cough meds.
And opioids do stop coughs dead in their tracks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I suppose the rest of it probably can't be worse than loving chloroform and morphine, though.

Did you mean to say 'better'?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alabaster White posted:

I like the terrifyingly vague "skillfully combined with a number of other ingredients". I suppose the rest of it probably can't be worse than loving chloroform and morphine, though.

ITYM 'better.'

Especially for a cough syrup. For all its faults, morphine actually works to suppress cough. All the alternatives in OTC cough medicines really don't do poo poo, they're at best marginally more effective than placebo.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In other related facts: Heroin is Diamorphine. And that also found it's way into various tonics and cough meds.

Thinking was that it wasn't addictive, like they knew morphine was, not knowing that it was just a morphine prodrug.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jul 14, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oxys are Oxycodone. Much less powrful than straight morphine.

Taken orally, oxycodone is 1.5x stronger than morphine.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ROI and bioavailability :doh:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OctoberBlues posted:

Taken orally, oxycodone is 1.5x stronger than morphine.

If dating catholic chicks taught me anything, its that oral doesnt count.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

And opioids do stop coughs dead in their tracks.

And all other breathing related activities, incidentally

Why use sulfate salts? I've only ever see those in amphetamines and a couple heart medicines, a lot of modern drugs, including morphine, are primarily made with hydrochloride salts due to solubility and allergy concerns

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Especially for a cough syrup. For all its faults, morphine actually works to suppress cough.

In most developed nations you can still get cough medicine containing codeine OTC.

quote:

All the alternatives in OTC cough medicines really don't do poo poo, they're at best marginally more effective than placebo.

DXM works by affecting the part of your brain that controls ccoyghin, its also why bored teenagers can get into a dissociative state off of it.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I just signed up for Bobcat in a Box, because, why the hell not, at least I know I'm going to get some genuine garbage, it'll be interesting at least.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I signed up too. Meet me in a month or two and we'll post all the weird poo poo we get?

Something about the fact that it's like 5 bucks a month (you can do more if you want), and it's a complete mystery but you can choose keywords for it to look for really tickles my inner child. Really, who doesn't love to get mystery packages? Especially since you know each item was purchased for a dollar or less, so if it's straight crap you can donate it or whatever. AND A ROBOT BOUGHT YOU A PRESENT.

I'm thinking of doing it for a few friends and family members for Christmas, actually. You have the option to make it a 'prank' which I assume means they don't put anything on the packaging denoting the bot/service? There's also an option that is literally just 'Dinosaurs.' I guess the bot just buys you dinosaurs. Why not.

Also the people running it seem pretty unpretentious. The only money they take is the leftovers from what the bot buys, there's no additional fees.

I guess we'll see.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I also signed up for Bobcat in a Box. Started out at $8/month, may go higher depending on the packages I get. I love the keyword system and the fact that you can rate packages you've received. It's probably going to take a month or two to get anything considering what free international shipping is like, but I'm excited.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Please tell me at least one of you Bobcat boxers set the keywords to "weird" and nothing else.

If you're going to get random automatic internet bullshit, may as well turn that poo poo up to 11.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
This page followed me on Instagram. I don't know if the term means anything outside the UK but I couldn't stop laughing at the choice of title:

http://i.imgur.com/zHokA70.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YKOVlRR.jpg

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I signed up one of my Nerf buddies for the Bobcat in Box thing for a few months a while back and it sent him random packages of Nerf darts on a semi weekly basis for like ~15 weeks.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hirayuki posted:

My husband got some post-apocalyptic wasteland 'Crate. His boss tried to make it seem relevant by talking about how my husband's homeland of Australia is practically a post-apocalyptic wasteland already. Problem is, my husband's from New Zealand. Also, he doesn't play video games and hasn't even heard of 90 percent of the poo poo in this box.

Any takers?

I skimmed the last couple of pages, did anyone take you up on this? I would love it.

It's me. I'm the idiot that falls for Loot Crate. :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sure! Check your PMs.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

bend posted:

this is true, but the rat tail and general bitey looking nature of them makes me feel like for once we have the less horribly dangerous animal. Mind you I don't know if they actually bite people, but it's nice to dream about not having all the horribly dangerous animals and leftover dino birds.

They'll hiss at you but they're way more likely to play dead than to bite unless you have one pinned to the ground or something equally stupid.

They're so harmless they can't even carry rabies.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Does anyone want to start a Bobcat in a Box thread in like a month or so? Or does the fact that it takes a while to receive packages make it a non-starter?

Maybe we should just post what we get in this thread and if there's enough interest I'll start one. I may be overthinking this.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

porkswordonboard posted:

Does anyone want to start a Bobcat in a Box thread in like a month or so? Or does the fact that it takes a while to receive packages make it a non-starter?

Maybe we should just post what we get in this thread and if there's enough interest I'll start one. I may be overthinking this.

I signed up for Bobcat too, but like you said, gonna be a while before anything arrives. How about whoever gets their stuff first, post here and then start a thread?

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
Your money and all, but I have to wonder about the kind of person that reads about something in a stupid marketing thread and thinks, 'I need to give them money.'

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Stacker of Wheat posted:

Your money and all, but I have to wonder about the kind of person that reads about something in a stupid marketing thread and thinks, 'I need to give them money.'

Same, only the kind of person who would give money to someone who named their business after a loving XKCD strip.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And you don't even get a bobcat. Total ripoff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have resisted googling whatever the hell bobcat box actually is, because in my heart it will always be a thing where Bobcat Goldthwaite mails you some random crap he has laying around his house.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Guy Mann posted:

Same, only the kind of person who would give money to someone who named their business after a loving XKCD strip.

The concept came from another xkcd strip too:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

I signed up for Bobcat too, but like you said, gonna be a while before anything arrives. How about whoever gets their stuff first, post here and then start a thread?

I like this plan!

Honestly guys we all know it's pretty dumb but why not, really? If you're the kind of person who likes surprises and packages, for $5 it seems like a fair trade. I work two jobs, one of which is pretty stressful, so the idea of coming home after a long day of putting out fires to a silly little mystery package is appealing to me. And unlike the LootCrate or whatever, it's just one small item at a time. In some of those unboxing videos people got some cool stuff, too, so who knows! If all I get is completely unusable or uninteresting crap, I'll cancel it, and be out a whole 5-10 bucks.

And yeah, XKCD is dumb, whatever. I personally don't read it, but I have nothing against it. At least the Bobcat in a Box people are upfront about where they got the idea.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The concept came from another xkcd strip too:

I did this. It was fun to get random packages full of complete crap, honestly. I didn't let the bot autopay but even with being spoiled by having to pay, just going to the mailbox and having like 5 or 6 random envelopes or bubble packs some days was a total blast.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

pienipple posted:

They'll hiss at you but they're way more likely to play dead than to bite unless you have one pinned to the ground or something equally stupid.

They're so harmless they can't even carry rabies.

Well that's boring then, even our herbivores'll disembowel you and drown your dog.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The difference I see between the bobcat in a box thing and the lootcrate is that the cost of the bobcat in a box subscription is presented more like the cost of entertainment, whereas the lootcrate cost is presented as the value of the goods. A few bucks for entertainment that might also yield a cool physical object is a good value. $20+ for goods that might be poo poo is not a good value.

On the rare occasion I've had a lottery ticket, if I see it as $1 to make my daydreams of fabulous wealth more vivid for a day then that ain't bad. A better deal than the cinema at any rate.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

bongwizzard posted:

I have resisted googling whatever the hell bobcat box actually is, because in my heart it will always be a thing where Bobcat Goldthwaite mails you some random crap he has laying around his house.

I would totally sign up for that service.

The new thread title is pretty loving great.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Xibanya posted:

The difference I see between the bobcat in a box thing and the lootcrate is that the cost of the bobcat in a box subscription is presented more like the cost of entertainment, whereas the lootcrate cost is presented as the value of the goods. A few bucks for entertainment that might also yield a cool physical object is a good value. $20+ for goods that might be poo poo is not a good value.

On the rare occasion I've had a lottery ticket, if I see it as $1 to make my daydreams of fabulous wealth more vivid for a day then that ain't bad. A better deal than the cinema at any rate.

The lottery is voluntary tax on idiocy. The same applies for these loving boxes.
Goons never cease to amaze me. Everyone keeps saying how they can only get poo poo, and now they'll throw at least 60 bucks a year to receive only crap (dollar store bs). How can you be so loving daft? Donate the money or save it, instead of buying crap you'll throw away (which not only makes you poorer, also increases waste).

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Non Serviam posted:

The lottery is voluntary tax on idiocy. The same applies for these loving boxes.
Goons never cease to amaze me. Everyone keeps saying how they can only get poo poo, and now they'll throw at least 60 bucks a year to receive only crap (dollar store bs). How can you be so loving daft? Donate the money or save it, instead of buying crap you'll throw away (which not only makes you poorer, also increases waste).

Nothing gets past this guy

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

I had the same thoughts, but, to be fair, I also enjoy people unboxing these things. I watch Ashens complain about (and then destroy) this rubbish, the same as I enjoyed this russian lady get excited about the novelty glasses, or this Lego guy happy about the postcard written by a spam bot and a piece that had Mona Lisa on it. Myself, I don't know if I were to subscribe to it even if I had money to burn. I'm also apparently dead inside :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Non Serviam posted:

Wait, hang on a second, stop the loving presses... Are you seriously telling me that people have been persuaded to spend money on something they dont actually need? If only there was a name for the witchery of getting people to do that....

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Next he'll be telling us that people spend money of expensive things instead of food. And also food instead of something like soylent.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Non Serviam posted:

When you get something good out of an uncertain outcome, your brain releases reward chemicals that feel kinda good.

Incidentally, if you have a cat or a dog, when you interact with them your brain releases reward chemicals that feel kinda good. Everyone keeps saying how they keep having to throw away literal poo poo and they'll throw hundreds of dollars a year for something that's just gonna die anyway, which only makes you poorer and increases waste. Pets are a voluntary tax on idiocy!

And don't get me started on intimate relationships with other humans! :homebrew:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
What happened to his thread

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Depressio111117 posted:

same thing that happens to every thread

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

This guy is right. Everyone is just reacting to having their behaviors called into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Depressio111117 posted:

Boxes. Boxes happened to this thread