Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm the people who are terrified of Microsoft telemetry yet willing to install unvetted kernel code from some random internet person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GreenNight posted:

*furiously patches all my poo poo*

Realizes 3 days later the patches broke a bunch of other poo poo too.

Unfriendly reminder: update your poo poo, stupid.

---

Reposting the friendly reminder for the new page for everyone else:

astral posted:

Friendly reminder to update your poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We wait 3 weeks for things to shake out before applying patches. Served us well.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GreenNight posted:

We wait 3 weeks for things to shake out before applying patches. Served us well.

do you work for Equifax?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

astral posted:

do you work for Equifax?

Windows patches, specifically. Nothing public facing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

repiv posted:

I'm the people who are terrified of Microsoft telemetry yet willing to install unvetted kernel code from some random internet person.

Please reboot in unsigned kernel driver mode to install our Maximum Security Software

astral
Apr 26, 2004

another great reason to update: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-11771

quote:

A remote code execution vulnerability exists when Windows Search handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take control of the affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.

To exploit the vulnerability, the attacker could send specially crafted messages to the Windows Search service. An attacker with access to a target computer could exploit this vulnerability to elevate privileges and take control of the computer. Additionally, in an enterprise scenario, a remote unauthenticated attacker could remotely trigger the vulnerability through an SMB connection and then take control of a target computer.

The security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how Windows Search handles objects in memory.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The first one's not too bad for desktops and servers since it requires a malicious DNS server directly serving the victim machine, but certainly a real issue for laptops that connect to random wifi hotspots.

The second one though... Remotely exploitable unauthenticated through SMB, that's bad. A worm using that could spread like wildfire through any network your firewalls considered "trusted".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That does sound bad, but I've got my windows open just how I like them, so I'm going to go ahead and not restart my PC, okay? :colbert:

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wolrah posted:

The first one's not too bad for desktops and servers since it requires a malicious DNS server directly serving the victim machine, but certainly a real issue for laptops that connect to random wifi hotspots.

The second one though... Remotely exploitable unauthenticated through SMB, that's bad. A worm using that could spread like wildfire through any network your firewalls considered "trusted".

That's just SMB 1 though right? our sys admin shut that off on our server a few weeks back when that appeared, which screwed our ricoh scanner as it only used that protocol to save

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

djssniper posted:

That's just SMB 1 though right? our sys admin shut that off on our server a few weeks back when that appeared, which screwed our ricoh scanner as it only used that protocol to save

I think the key is being able to get files remotely on to another system where the indexer will parse them. SMB version doesn't matter here.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think the key is being able to get files remotely on to another system where the indexer will parse them. SMB version doesn't matter here.

Ah yeah, it was a new printer, so never worked from the start, probably thinking of this
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

Edit: Probably this was about the time https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/05/18/more-advice-on-disabling-windows-smb-1.aspx

djssniper fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 11, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The Windows Search service is actually accessible through SMB to allow for searching on remote machines without having to transfer everything. The wording in the Microsoft advisory specifically stating unauthenticated makes me think this can be triggered without even needing to upload a file as long as you can send a request to the Windows Search service.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That does sound bad, but I've got my windows open just how I like them, so I'm going to go ahead and not restart my PC, okay? :colbert:

Speaking of, I wish Windows was better at telling me what it restarted FOR. I'm not a goober like half this thread, I don't mind it restarting overnight when I'm not using my computer. But it does make me worry a little bit when I go to use it in the morning and find it mysteriously restarted with no reason why. A simple "your computer was restarted to install updates" message like MacOS has would go a long way towards not making me worry about some actual issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arivia posted:

Speaking of, I wish Windows was better at telling me what it restarted FOR. I'm not a goober like half this thread, I don't mind it restarting overnight when I'm not using my computer. But it does make me worry a little bit when I go to use it in the morning and find it mysteriously restarted with no reason why. A simple "your computer was restarted to install updates" message like MacOS has would go a long way towards not making me worry about some actual issue.

I always get a message about that after updates were installed and machine booted again, and it annoys me to no end. Yes I know the machine restarted to install updates, I clicked the Update and Restart command myself!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nielsm posted:

I always get a message about that after updates were installed and machine booted again, and it annoys me to no end. Yes I know the machine restarted to install updates, I clicked the Update and Restart command myself!

Huh. Where are you seeing it? It's not in the Notification panel for me. Maybe it's only if you start the install manually?

edit: Oh, it looks like there was a notification setting I didn't have turned on. Why isn't that on by default?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It is, usually, so I've no idea.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

Huh. Where are you seeing it? It's not in the Notification panel for me. Maybe it's only if you start the install manually?

edit: Oh, it looks like there was a notification setting I didn't have turned on. Why isn't that on by default?

Where's this? Its not in notifications.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Snuffman posted:

Where's this? Its not in notifications.

It's under Windows Update, in Restart options. Toggle the option "Show more notifications".

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

It's under Windows Update, in Restart options. Toggle the option "Show more notifications".

Ah, gotcha!

I found it, it was off, and wasn't sure if that was the option I was looking for.

My PC shut off mid-evening, while I was in the other room, to install the update but I didn't realize and was worried there was something wrong with my computer. Its only this morning that I realized it was a windows update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

astral posted:

Friendly reminder to update your poo poo.

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2017/10/11/kb4041691-can-cause-virtual-machines-to-stop-booting/

Patch all your poo poo ASAP, right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Ah, gotcha!

I found it, it was off, and wasn't sure if that was the option I was looking for.

My PC shut off mid-evening, while I was in the other room, to install the update but I didn't realize and was worried there was something wrong with my computer. Its only this morning that I realized it was a windows update.

Yeah that was my concern too. Hopefully that toggle helps (hell of a place to put it) and that it stays on. I’ve had some weird issues with Windows not keeping my settings between reboots.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
But but but... some PC's might be running hundreds of mission-critical applications all at the same time and therefore can't JUST be patched and restarted!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

But but but... some PC's might be running hundreds of mission-critical applications all at the same time and therefore can't JUST be patched and restarted!

If it’s mission critical move it off Windows 10 Home for gently caress’s sake.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Again, wrong. Patch your dev/test environment ASAP first. If it breaks, then you have some actual justification to hold off on patching prod other than "durrr jeez, I don't know, those updates can sometimes be evil, better not do it until it's too late :tinfoil:"

e: Clarified

astral fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 12, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What the hell is a dev/test environment? Yeah, sure.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

You see, every business has an entire IT department complete with test rigs and a dev environment.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Computers are pretty powerful today. If I had a system at home I absolutely could not afford to lose, I'd probably be virtualizing it first of all. Second of all, virtualizing it would make it super trivial to snapshot it before a critical update. Or even clone the VM and have the clone be your "test rig".

So you see folks, testing things is easier than ever to do in this day and age. However, it's not that easy, and might be overkill for protecting against a bad Windows Update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Test rig with real employees running poo poo off it? Get the gently caress out of here, people don't have time for that.

Sure let me clone my Dynamics server and then test the program against that database.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

You see, every business has an entire IT department complete with test rigs and a dev environment.

If its important they would. If its not, then the risk is on them so: tough poo poo.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Was that a royal 'we' then? Sounded like you were implying you were managing computers for a business. Which absolutely should have a test environment. And backups.

Snapshots are pretty easy too, if it's virtualized. Personal you can (and should!) still trivially accomplish the last couple.

redeyes posted:

Oh, please. A dev/test environment in this case could be as simple as spinning up a spare VM or using a spare machine with the standard image (or just an install with the standard set of software/updates, if you lack a standard image) to test any new updates against.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you people have no loving idea how small business works

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This thread has established that actual business standards for business are hard and also too much effort. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Test upgrades against the dozens and dozens of applications? I'll get right on that. With all my free time while I fix printers, buy new computers, on board new employees, run SQL queries, and also take calls, answer emails.

We have backups. Our ERP has a dev environment. Same with web. That's it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Yeah, it doesn't.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
All the stuff about vetting updates is spot on but at the same time they released an update that broke VMs on their server OS. That's just sad.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

"[wrong thing] is just how it is" doesn't make it right. Or true.

GreenNight posted:

Test upgrades against the dozens and dozens of applications? I'll get right on that. With all my free time while I fix printers, buy new computers, on board new employees, run SQL queries, and also take calls, answer emails.

We have backups. Our ERP has a dev environment. Same with web. That's it.

See above. At the very least it sounds like you need an extra person working there in a similar (or perhaps more well-defined) role as you. And a printer assassin because, as the saying goes, gently caress printers.

CFox posted:

All the stuff about vetting updates is spot on but at the same time they released an update that broke VMs on their server OS. That's just sad.

Yeah it is pretty funny in that same dark comedy way as this new Eternal September of infosec.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

New update stopped my machine setting alarms via search bar.. small problem but loving annoying

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

djssniper posted:

New update stopped my machine setting alarms via search bar.. small problem but loving annoying

You don't get it. Need a dev environment and test machines. What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Never apply updates right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

You don't get it. Need a dev environment and test machines. What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Never apply updates right away.

You don't get it. You can't get hurt by exploits that are announced to the world if you patch in a couple of days. What the gently caress is wrong with you?! Figure out and apply updates as soon as you can.