Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In more positive news, the floating dry dock that was used to service Admiral Kuznetsov sank, damaging Russia's only aircraft carrier with a falling crane :v:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/10/russias-only-aircraft-carrier-damaged-as-its-floating-dry-dock-sinks/

Seems like one worker is still missing so hopefully he's ok and just getting drunk somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
the russian obsession with having a navy is so funny. They have to make up movies with stories of how they totally are not a quasi-landlocked state in the west and the navy is V important

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So majestic

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Losing that floating drydock means that they no longer have facilities for heavy duty maintenance of large warships, because they don't have large enough drydocks in theiir ports -- so this may very well condemn not just the Kuz, but also their cruisers and most of their subs.

That's quite the embarrassing single-point of failure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I take it there's no footage of this happening?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rinkles posted:

I take it there's no footage of this happening?

Admiral Kuznetsov's dashboard camera

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

Losing that floating drydock means that they no longer have facilities for heavy duty maintenance of large warships, because they don't have large enough drydocks in theiir ports -- so this may very well condemn not just the Kuz, but also their cruisers and most of their subs.

That's quite the embarrassing single-point of failure.

It was the only drydock of its size in Murmansk, supposedly there is also another one in the Black Sea. It is debatable it can fit their carrier but it should fit other larger surface ships and subs.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 31, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Everyone who is susceptible to gestures of national power will love you when you pull a big ship out of mothballs or build a new flashy one but nobody is ever gonna give a poo poo if you blow your yearly acquisition budget on a drydock and the old one is working so eh it'll be fine.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Nenonen posted:

Thats gonna be one hell of a "Blyat!"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope they buy a new mobile dock, a couple of new cruisers and a carrier or two. The more money Russia sinks into instruments of old timey power projection the less is left for conventional army, air force and black budget.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

I hope they buy a new mobile dock, a couple of new cruisers and a carrier or two. The more money Russia sinks into instruments of old timey power projection the less is left for conventional army, air force and black budget.

They will just cut civilian spending to compensate.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They will just cut civilian spending to compensate.

Another cut to Russian pensions surely won't sour the mood of the people any further ...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Another cut to Russian pensions surely won't sour the mood of the people any further ...

Just cut road funding, Russians are used to gravel anyways.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

alex314 posted:

They will announce construction of new supermodern stealth ships, 5 years later they will announce delays, 10 years later they will announce their refitted inflatable boats are just as good and they will never mention those new ships again. Billions of rubles will somehow disappear.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/roadtowar1914/status/1057595539099766785

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46043424

Anarchist teen attacks Arckanglsk police HQ with bomb, killing self.

what year is it??

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russia declared lots of new sanctions against Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1057927299474042880

quote:

“Headline-grabbing from Moscow, but unlikely to have any meaningful economic impact, as the volumes of trade with Russia have collapsed in recent years,” Tim Ash, strategist at Bluebay Asset Management in London, wrote in an email. “Few of the companies of individuals sanctioned have much meaningful business these days with Russia.”

Just making noise to make some noise and this war costs too much, make it stop.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Russia declared lots of new sanctions against Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1057927299474042880

Just making noise to make some noise and this war costs too much, make it stop.

To be fair, trade has actually begun to improve recently. In 2017 there was a 27% increase compared to 2016. Of course, it's still roughly one third of pre-2014 volumes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So it is mostly political posturing then any real attempt to hurt Ukraine economically. What does Russia hope to gain by announcing these sanctions?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So it is mostly political posturing then any real attempt to hurt Ukraine economically. What does Russia hope to gain by announcing these sanctions?

Shore up popular opinion/basic tet-a-tet instinct.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Shore up popular opinion/basic tet-a-tet instinct.

Popular opinion ignores the issue for a good couple years now. We have our own poo poo show with pension age, talk of gas prices rising (again), the works.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

basic tet-a-tet instinct.

Not sure what you're trying to say. Closest I can get is French phrase for face-to-face conversations. Did you mean "tit-for-tat" instead?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chesnok posted:

Popular opinion ignores the issue for a good couple years now. We have our own poo poo show with pension age, talk of gas prices rising (again), the works.

Yes, so you can try to divert attention back to the matter to see if it sticks. Mostly this is just a formal eye for eye, tooth for tooth thing from Russian perspective.

Cat Mattress posted:

Not sure what you're trying to say. Closest I can get is French phrase for face-to-face conversations. Did you mean "tit-for-tat" instead?

I was just misremembering, see my reply to chesnok.

E: https://theins.ru/news/125385 Interesting take, if a bit too much intergalactic 5D chess to my liking.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 1, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I saw this, so now you'll have to as well:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1059720768450387968

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

лмао

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

All I got was "Let's go voting on the 6th. Don't let democrats destroy country" or something. My eyes slide right out off the longer words written in Cyrillic. Anything interesting later on?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

alex314 posted:

All I got was "Let's go voting on the 6th. Don't let democrats destroy country" or something. My eyes slide right out off the longer words written in Cyrillic. Anything interesting later on?

Democrats are communists who are bringing the migrant caravan of barbarian criminal drug dealer rapists to give birth to anchor babies

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
awesome to know a literal immigrant or refugee wrote that

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HorrificExistence posted:

Allegedly Brodski supported Vietnam war, because it was a war against communism. He also didn't like American civil rights movement for being 'too ungrateful'. Living under a dictatorship can gently caress you up for life.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That Agris Baumanis clip. :staredog:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Allegedly Brodski supported Vietnam war, because it was a war against communism. He also didn't like American civil rights movement for being 'too ungrateful'. Living under a dictatorship can gently caress you up for life.

Yep, the kind poet supported dropping a hydrogen bomb on Vietnam, because those who lived there "weren't people at all".

HorrificExistence posted:

Immigrants who secure their position frequently get extemely FYGM, especially if they are white or white-passing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fleeing one flavor of oppression does not mean you can't be in favor of one or several of all the other flavors of oppression

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Even the same form, when you're not the one being oppressed. People are really loving dumb like that.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The mayor of Warsaw has just banned the annual "Independence March" (ostensibly a march to commemorate Poland regaining its sovereignty in 1918, but actually an opportunity for fascist cunts to peddle their hateful ideology), I'm eagerly awaiting for the shitstorm. The ongoing police protest will just make things even spicier.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oh she did? Nice!
Can't believe pis failed to accomplish anything substantial for the big date by the way

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wrocław has banned the march too. And it looks like the city is hit even worse by the Police protests. By some anonymous Policeman "let's hope there are no bigger disturbance, because we don't have poeple to form an prevention unit" :allears:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Does a mayor of a city have any legal authority to ban a political demonstration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014

pigdog posted:

Does a mayor of a city have any legal authority to ban a political demonstration?

Yes, section 14 of the law on demonstrations, but the ban can be overturned by courts.