Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rhyno posted:

One of my customers thinks Other-Clark is Superboy Prime.

:shudder:
Oh...I didn't even think of this.

That would explain why he ordered the "kiddie" (?) meal at the fast food place.

But didn't they do a bunch of tests to determine that he was totally human or something? I barely remember what happens in this book but I seem to recall something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chortles posted:

Is it supposed to take this long for the first arc to appear in trade? Got started buying the floppies with #7 but I just got #8 and now I'm definitely planning to keep it up, maybe even get the trade for #1-6, especially if trades make a difference over at DC in keeping a book alive or at least taking another chance on it (i.e. the pleasant surprise of Midnighter's trade sales resulting in Midnighter and Apollo, although a limited series).

Someone is learning how badly run DC's trade department is. Welcome to a lifetime of looooooong waits.

Also I thought Earth 2 ended at least two universe reboots ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But didn't they do a bunch of tests to determine that he was totally human or something? I barely remember what happens in this book but I seem to recall something like that.

Superboy Prime ended up becoming completely human at some point I think?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

So....yeah ANYWAY, have any of you degenerates been keeping up with Earth 2? I stopped around the time of Convergence and they got their new Earth. Has it picked up in quality at all? Or is it still in the slow death spiral it was in before?

It's me, I'm the sap. I keep thinking about the good ol' days when Taylor just blew everything the gently caress up but it's dull as hell now. Really the most damning thing I can say about it is that they can't seem to figure out what they even want the book to be. Like, after Convergence they got their new planet and then it starts becoming about all these refugees from Earth trying to rebuild a society which is almost interesting but then all of a sudden they're like "oh no our planet is dying because it's just a facsimile of a planet" then they reboot it only now Ultra-Humanite is in charge and man I don't know. Somebody needs to pick a loving direction for that book and stick with it.

I mean honestly the book's had like three natural end points but it's like every time the story seems like it should end with everybody riding into the sunset (or dying), it just keeps going.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

TwoPair posted:

It's me, I'm the sap. I keep thinking about the good ol' days when Taylor just blew everything the gently caress up but it's dull as hell now. Really the most damning thing I can say about it is that they can't seem to figure out what they even want the book to be. Like, after Convergence they got their new planet and then it starts becoming about all these refugees from Earth trying to rebuild a society which is almost interesting but then all of a sudden they're like "oh no our planet is dying because it's just a facsimile of a planet" then they reboot it only now Ultra-Humanite is in charge and man I don't know. Somebody needs to pick a loving direction for that book and stick with it.

I mean honestly the book's had like three natural end points but it's like every time the story seems like it should end with everybody riding into the sunset (or dying), it just keeps going.

Maybe the writers just keep thinking 'It's gonna get cancelled, any day now...' and it just keeps not happening.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As previously mentioned, you can pour one out for the last remnant of DCYou after one more issue.
I'll miss E2 DickBat's costume most of all. *sniff*

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 9, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God drat that was such a good costume.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

As previously mentioned, you can pour one out for the last remnant of DCYou after one more issue.
I'll miss E2 DickBat's costume most of all. *sniff*

Oh yeah I remember that, isn't it armored up because he's paralyzed or some poo poo?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jiro posted:

Oh yeah I remember that, isn't it armored up because he's paralyzed or some poo poo?

Yeah he's paralyzed Oracle style. The suit is full of Mr. Terrific tech and has little robot bats that swoop around and gather data for him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KaosMachina posted:

Maybe the writers just keep thinking 'It's gonna get cancelled, any day now...' and it just keeps not happening.

More likely it's the book that DC forgot to cancel. It is the Milton (from Office Space) of comicbooks.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ElNarez posted:

do you think the House Un-American Activities Committee was like S.H.I.E.L.D. or something?

I'm questioning why a gritty, serious take on Snagglepuss is something anyone actually wants to read. Why a DC can't just produce a book about a gay cartoon cat doing funny things in funny stories.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you read the interview, the author was surprised his pitch was instantly accepted, so I guess it's just exactly what he wants to do.
I suppose you get a lot of freedom with no expectation of selling more than two copies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Considering the writer's past two works at DC, I really doubt it will be serious.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Roth posted:

Considering the writer's past two works at DC, I really doubt it will be serious.
Well then if it's not going to be funny, what WILL it be?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm questioning why a gritty, serious take on Snagglepuss is something anyone actually wants to read. Why a DC can't just produce a book about a gay cartoon cat doing funny things in funny stories.

Modern and actually gay doesn't necessarily mean gritty and serious. Look at his Flintstones book - it's "serious" in that it's handing issues a 60s cartoon wouldn't, but it's still definitely a comedy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Flintstones is loving hilarious, but it splits BSS in half, so it's probably a bad example.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WickedHate posted:

The Flintstones is loving hilarious, but it splits BSS in half, so it's probably a bad example.

Sure but even people who hate it can probably admit it isn't "gritty" or overly serious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No it is entirely overly serious and gritty.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See what I mean? Some people just have tragic taste.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we committed genocide, barney

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sure but even people who hate it can probably admit it isn't "gritty" or overly serious.

... it literally has plots about how Fred and Barnie omitted genocide and that Yaba Dabba Doo is their PTSD way of dealing with those feelings.

It's dark humor but it also actually gritty and tried to be overly serious at times. (Again, that issue stands out.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

Well then if it's not going to be funny, what WILL it be?

I'm guessing it's going to be another dark comedy/satire. If it actually is funny or not remains to be seen, but I've liked Flintstones enough to give it a chance when it starts.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Titans was fine. Herald and Bumblebee don't really push my nostalgia buttons...they must have been, like, way classic Teen Titans or something 'cuz I don't remember much of them at all from the 90s or 00s onwards. Booth is back on art, but he's not too bad here other than the sameface problem and one super awkward Donna pose.

The entirety of Titans Hunt was about the Pre-Wolfman era Titans. Mal and Karen are included in that bunch. That means not only is it pre-90s, it's pre-80s (since NTT started in 1980). Same deal with Lilith. They only rarely show up in post crisis continuity, if at all. Titans is basically following up on that.

If you'll remember, what we're getting now is what was originally solicited as a ruse at the start of Rebirth to keep Wally a secret.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I recall Mal and Karen were in the Doom Patrol after Infinite Crisis.

Mal was called Vox I think, and I believe Bumblebee was permanently small. I never read that run of Doom Patrol so idk if it's any good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Justice League of America was somewhat underwhelming. The dialog was heavily cliched and I thought there was something really off every time Batman (or anyone else) said they wanted a team that was more human when one of their teammates is an alien biker, the other can take on the characteristics of animals and one can fly and do crazy light based light.
I like the idea of team made up of more street level heroes and less mighty powerful people, which I guess this issue was trying to address, but it seemed to be trying to hammer the point home by repeating that line without actually putting together a team of street level heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I kind of dug JLoA honestly. I really like what Orlando is doing with Killer Frost.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, Batman talking up how this JLA was going to be less "godly" and more "human" was weird with Lobo standing right next to him, but overall I thought it was rrally good. Probably my favorite book of the week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, instead of staffing your league of justice that's expected to deal with major disasters and world ending threats with as many heavy hitters, you really need that street level representation. I'd expect that from a Batman chosen league.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, instead of staffing your league of justice that's expected to deal with major disasters and world ending threats with as many heavy hitters, you really need that street level representation. I'd expect that from a Batman chosen league.

That's the Outsiders not the JLoA. And supposedly we're getting a new Outsiders series in Rebirth wave 2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

That's the Outsiders not the JLoA. And supposedly we're getting a new Outsiders series in Rebirth wave 2.

Oooh that'd be cool. I really liked the first one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

What else is rumored? I know Shazam, JSA, and Legion of Superheroes are likely in the works, but is there anything unexpected?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

What else is rumored? I know Shazam, JSA, and Legion of Superheroes are likely in the works, but is there anything unexpected?

The rumors keep fluxing. Like a Hickman run set of 4 books (like Young Animal) that would be DC Cosmic. The LOSH and Starman are on that list. Outsiders, Shazam, JSA, Legion of Doom (too many team books) are among the recent rumors.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would go for Legion of Doom if it happens, but it needs to be pure Superfriends Legion of Doom, with no Deathstroke or anything.

I guess team books makes sense of you're looking to get people buying, since a lot of people seem to read anything a given character is in.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you didn't laugh out loud at the absurdity of the line "We participated in a genocide, Barney", then I don't know what to tell you.

Turns out incongruity is funny sometimes!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you didn't laugh out loud at the absurdity of the line "We participated in a genocide, Barney", then I don't know what to tell you.

That's what I kept saying.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alaois posted:

We committed genocide, barn!

AND GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY PEBBLES!!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Actually leaked spoilers from the finale revealed that Barney is gonna hit financial trouble so he kidnaps Pebbles to try and ransom money out of her but Fred kills him, graphically smashing his head into giblets with a club, yelling "I won't let you take my Pebbles!". The final page is him unmasking Barney and crying over his bloody, caved in face.

Get it? CAVED IN? wah wah wah

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The rumors keep fluxing. Like a Hickman run set of 4 books (like Young Animal)

I bet that's a mistranslation of him getting one of the Wildstorm comics.

edit: Man. Batwoman and Wild Storm. Next week's gonna be special.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet that's a mistranslation of him getting one of the Wildstorm comics.

edit: Man. Batwoman and Wild Storm. Next week's gonna be special.

LOSH isn't a WS book and he and DC have been dancing around on that for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, some famous folk need to come out of the woodwork for that stuff. Orlando can't do everything.
After his co-writing spot on Susie Squad, I'm betting on Si Spurrier for one.