Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do have a copy of HD Loader, and I have a network adapter and hard drive already set up. Can I install freemcboot through hd loader?

I'm going off memory years ago but I believe so. There are "noobie packages" of McBoot easily obtainable with instructions included and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

GutBomb posted:

Zerowing (lol... but it's good)

drat right. I think it's better than the arcade version, because they did away with that red flash when you destroy something. I don't think I've ever had a seizure before, but after 30 seconds of watching AC version footage (or playing it myself), I start to feel extremely uncomfortable. The music is also better due to the drum samples they added. The MD/Genny was Toaplan's preferred port platform, definitely check out their other games on it (Slap Fight, Twin Cobra, Daisenpu, Truxton, Snow Bros., Fire Shark, Wardner, etc.).

The only two games I can think of that were also on NES and haven't been mentioned already are Double Dragon and Marble Madness. I'm sure there are others.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

You can also always just pick up a cheap old IDE hard drive to use on the PS2. Most games can't really take advantage of the no-seek-time advantages of flash memory, and you can get like a 320 GB drive for under $20 if you're willing to look around, and like $40 if you just want to buy the first one you can find.

I mean if you want to get a comparable size 256 GB SD card and not have it be junk that's as slow as the PS2 DVD drive, you still have to shell out around $60-$80 for that these days.

Eh, I'd argue against IDE hard drives at this point. Mechanical drives in the PS2 add weight, are comparatively fragile, are less and less common these days, are not all compatible with the physical power and IDE connector layout of the broadband adapter, and installing stuff onto them involves installing from a legit copy or DVD burn, or going through a bunch of hassle to hook the drive up inside your PC (assuming you still have IDE ports or are not using a laptop) and using WinHIIP.

Compared to tossing an SD card into a reader and using WinHIIP on it, there's really not much to recommend IDE drives besides capacity and cost in my book.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wamdoodle posted:

Kinda against the spirit of the thread and you may already know but there's an updated version of Carnage Heart for the PSP/Vita, Carnage Heart EXA. You can get it on the PlayStation Network.

I've heard about it yeah. But it's not a physical copy and I am kind of an idiot for physical copies. Like 5 bucks or even a dollar or 2 for digital? Eehhhhh I have enough poo poo already. 10-20 physical? gently caress IT MINEMINEMINEMINE. It's stupid but it's how I do.

Also a pro tip for people using Android emulators. MAKE SURE YOUR SAVES ARE FULLY TRANSFERRED BEFORE RESETTING THE OLD DEVICE. Because of the weirdness FPSE had when I put a SD card in my original device it somehow ignored the saves on that card. So now I lost 15 missions in SRW AG. Podcast in the middle of it? Transfer took my pause point when driving to the loving mall and was within 10 minutes or so of it. But I was also unaware of FPse having Google backups of saves so.. Yeah. On the upside the new screen is technically only 1.2 inches larger and it's only like .1-.2 ghz faster but it feels like twice the screen. And the new one doesn't eat batteries even in suspend mode. I'm not sure if I want to continue on with SRW now since the PS4 V is out next month anyhow and I should be done yelling at Bloodborne like a moron by then. Maybe I will start up Kartia or Parasite Eve if it doesn't really demand L2 and R2 or analog sticks since I only have the 6 button FC30 pad right now...

poo poo, outside of older games with small bullets, player drawn maps, or keyboard controls there isn't much I couldn't play on this thing on the go. It would be a good way to get through some of my absurd backlog... Like AdnD Gold Box or Wizardry is kind of a no go, but say FF5 is full steam ahead.... A few games like Miracle Warriors merely need a few printed out maps...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Eh, I'd argue against IDE hard drives at this point. Mechanical drives in the PS2 add weight, are comparatively fragile, are less and less common these days, are not all compatible with the physical power and IDE connector layout of the broadband adapter, and installing stuff onto them involves installing from a legit copy or DVD burn, or going through a bunch of hassle to hook the drive up inside your PC (assuming you still have IDE ports or are not using a laptop) and using WinHIIP.

Compared to tossing an SD card into a reader and using WinHIIP on it, there's really not much to recommend IDE drives besides capacity and cost in my book.

what about using a compactflash card?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Pretty sure spinny IDE hard drives are still more reliable than most any consumer removable flash media. But really do whatever.

So I'd like to play burned ps1 discs on ps1 (original model) without disc swap, what's the mod chip to get? I don't want a ps2.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

Pretty sure spinny IDE hard drives are still more reliable than most any consumer removable flash media. But really do whatever.

So I'd like to play burned ps1 discs on ps1 (original model) without disc swap, what's the mod chip to get? I don't want a ps2.

Why is the disc swap a big problem? It's not the very timing-sensitive and annoying swapping of the early swap trick methods, it's very trivial. I think real mod chips are pretty hard to come by these days.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

what about using a compactflash card?

PERVERSION.

Or not. Go hog wild if you can make it work!

I freely admit that I'm kind of biased since the IDE drive I had in my phatty PS2 decided to stop working / be detected after months of sitting on a shelf doing nothing. I didn't have anything meaningful on it, thankfully, but it kind of soured me on loving around with mechanical hard drives from that point forward.

falz posted:

Yeah, but for how long will that be the case, especially once IDE drives are no longer manufactured and the existing ones fritz out (assuming they don't do it sooner rather than later because of shoddy manufacturing)? They might be high on the downward slope right now, but it's still a downward slope, you know?

That said, of course, people should do what they want. And there is probably still a better cost/capacity ratio for an older IDE drive than for a comparable SD card. I just take a long/inevitable view about this, I guess - IDE isn't going to stick around, while SD cards will probably get bigger and better and be what people will have to swap to anyway at some point.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
An excerpt from my Marketing Fundamentals text book.

....Suppose you’ve had a Nintendo Wii handheld game player in the past and been satisfied with it, so when you see an ad for the Nintendo Wii U you are interested. You visit the Nintendo website where you learn more about the Wii U and its unique features. You are particularly drawn to the games LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and Super Smash Bros. You want to see the game console in person, so you locate a dealer near enough for you to visit. The dealer forms part of the channel that brings you—a potential buyer—and Nintendo—the seller—together to complete the exchange process.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

PERVERSION.

Or not. Go hog wild if you can make it work!

I freely admit that I'm kind of biased since the IDE drive I had in my phatty PS2 decided to stop working / be detected after months of sitting on a shelf doing nothing. I didn't have anything meaningful on it, thankfully, but it kind of soured me on loving around with mechanical hard drives from that point forward.

CompactFlash is natively compatible with the IDE bus, so adapters are only just changing the pin layout and not doing any actual processing.

Making those really cheap.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

An excerpt from my Marketing Fundamentals text book.

....Suppose you’ve had a Nintendo Wii handheld game player in the past and been satisfied with it, so when you see an ad for the Nintendo Wii U you are interested. You visit the Nintendo website where you learn more about the Wii U and its unique features. You are particularly drawn to the games LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and Super Smash Bros. You want to see the game console in person, so you locate a dealer near enough for you to visit. The dealer forms part of the channel that brings you—a potential buyer—and Nintendo—the seller—together to complete the exchange process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7G_P8psD78

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

They really are. Especially all the unsold stock from the tail end of the IDE era that you can still get. When I got the IDE drive to toss in my Xbox and store like 150 games on, it was a completely unused drive.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

IDE-USB adapters are dirt cheap, and WinHIIP works with them just fine. And uh, capacity and cost is kind of a big deal. No fun to have to keep switching out SD cards to get to different games when you can just stick one big drive in there and be done.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, of course, people should do what they want. And there is probably still a better cost/capacity ratio for an older IDE drive than for a comparable SD card. I just take a long/inevitable view about this, I guess - IDE isn't going to stick around, while SD cards will probably get bigger and better and be what people will have to swap to anyway at some point.

Well nah, you can always just use a real SSD, which will last way longer than the cheap media in SD cards, through one of those SATA-IDE adapters. With the way those prices are going down it's going to be viable for things like the Xbox and PS2 soon (since they don't really play nice with drives bigger than 1 terabyte anyway).

A combination of a SATA-IDE adapter and SATA SSD is probably going drop below getting an old IDE drive for cost/capacity in the next few years, but they're not quite there yet.

Instant Sunrise posted:

CompactFlash is natively compatible with the IDE bus, so adapters are only just changing the pin layout and not doing any actual processing.

Making those really cheap.

Not all CompactFlash cards are, but it's pretty hard to find CF cards that aren't IDE compatible anymore. They were still selling non-compatible CF cards in a large enough amounts to be a problem until a few years ago.

Edit: another thing is that a bunch of companies are starting to manufacture SSDs with native IDE connectors on them , meant to go into things like old business line computers or retro gaming boxes without the hassle of dealing with platter drives. Those are going to be around for a while, and I even have two of them for my old Windows 98 machines.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 1, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

d0s posted:

Why is the disc swap a big problem? It's not the very timing-sensitive and annoying swapping of the early swap trick methods, it's very trivial. I think real mod chips are pretty hard to come by these days.

It doesn't seem necessary if there's another option. Also not wife friendly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Are you underestimating your wife or your ability to explain simple tasks to your wife? I can't tell which one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you know how to solder then you can install a modchip with little difficulty. But there are dozens of different ones that you need to match to your SCPH model. Last I investigated the "stealth" line was good because they bypass the latter protection of games like Spyro 3 and Final Fantasy 8. And make sure the seller provides instructions to install.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

falz posted:

d0s posted:

I think real mod chips are pretty hard to come by these days.

Check out PsNee, it's an open source mod chip for ps1 that runs on Arduino.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Caitlin posted:

Are you underestimating your wife or your ability to explain simple tasks to your wife? I can't tell which one.
Opening a spinning disk tray to swap a disk seems like it's going to cause something to break, scratch, otherwise. Also its just non standard behavior of 'how stuff should work'. I just want stuff to work as you would think it should, no special instructions aside. I mean theres already a cheat sheet printout of TV input to AV switchbox mapping that needs performing, that's complex enough.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

UnhandledException posted:

Check out PsNee, it's an open source mod chip for ps1 that runs on Arduino.
Interesting, thanks!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

falz posted:

I think I found my problem - SCART connector is indeed wired direcitonally - composite/audio left/audio right are in one direction ("out") , I should just have to rewire them in the other direction ("in" so component to pin 20 instead of pin 19).

FWIW the ebay seller I bought the cable from ("wookieewin") responded immediately and offered to rewire it for $5, all of which seems more than fair, so name dropping him here as LQQK A++ WOULD BUY AGAIN style recommendation.
So I rewired my SCART connector to the proper direction, I now seem to have issues related to my PC1270 switchbox. If I take that Sync cable and bypass the switcher (female barrel) it works. If it goes through the switcher, it doesn't. Perhaps the AV switch box is only expecting a Sync signal on its own and is unhappy if this is the entire composite signal which includes sync? Is this what a Sync stripper does, or does it do the opposite (route sync to /dev/null)?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They mentioned it on this week Giantbombcast, but there is a Denny's Atari 2600 with HDMI that can only play Denny romhacks of atari games?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rirse posted:

They mentioned it on this week Giantbombcast, but there is a Denny's Atari 2600 with HDMI that can only play Denny romhacks of atari games?

Yeah, apparently they're gonna play it on UPF (Giant Bomb's members only Friday stream) this week and I can't wait because it sounds loving weird. A lot of this week's Bombcast was of interest to this thread I think, lot of PVM talk and the like.
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/826613922732007424

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Caitlin posted:

Probably neither. There are a lot of people out there who would rather not bother with things the least bit technical in a post-plug n' play world. A lot of eyes will glaze over after you say "burned discs won't work unless you..."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

azurite posted:

Probably neither. There are a lot of people out there who would rather not bother with things the least bit technical in a post-plug n' play world. A lot of eyes will glaze over after you say "burned discs won't work unless you..."

Yeah. Between a one-click VCD-quality solution and a two-click solution at 4K, the VCD's winning everytime with the majority of people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

Yeah, apparently they're gonna play it on UPF (Giant Bomb's members only Friday stream) this week and I can't wait because it sounds loving weird. A lot of this week's Bombcast was of interest to this thread I think, lot of PVM talk and the like.
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/826613922732007424

I can't wait for them to play the Denny's version of Root Beer Tapper. You lose points for serving brown and yellow customers.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

al-azad posted:

I can't wait for them to play the Denny's version of Root Beer Tapper. You lose points for serving brown and yellow customers.

I literally :stare:ed at this for longer than I should have.

Posts like this need the "Whoa" sound effect from Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

IIRC, they offered the games as free apps to play. There were three of them, I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

:stare: What the gently caress?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My guess is that thing isn't even a modded 2600. It's a 2600 that someone hot glued something like a rPi into, tied into the power and controller ports, and added an HDMI extender to the rear of the case. The 2600 mobo is probably doing nothing, likely not even getting power. The games might probably connect into the rPi via the 2600's actual socket, and likely just use 2 or 3 pins as a simple set of switches to tell the rPi which game to load.

Not saying it's not cute or cool, just that it's really unlikely that someone performed an HDMI mod on a 2600 and then coded actual 2600 games to run on it. All for some fast food marketing gimmick that they only sent to a few places.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There was a thing about ten years ago where a Denny's manager was being outrageously racist. It was one restaurant in a giant chain of lovely restaurants, but it's the kind of thing that sticks.

Edit: Come to think of it, there might have been a few incidents spread around a certain region of the US (feel free to guess which one), but the point that it was just some assholes rather than company policy stands. Denny's company policy is serving terrible, reheated food at stupid prices and they stand by that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 2, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was definitely more than isolated incidents, multiple substantiated cases of blacks and Asians having to pay up front or just ignored completely. Quite a few of the bigger cases in New York so this wasn't a truck stop deep south Denny's either.

To their credit they did a complete 180 in their hiring and training efforts and have gone from being a bad racist restaurant to a bad restaurant and I'm more surprised they partnered with Atari to make reskins of old games.

Now if Cracker Barrel wants to team up with Activision-Blizzard I've got some zingers for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

xamphear posted:

My guess is that thing isn't even a modded 2600. It's a 2600 that someone hot glued something like a rPi into, tied into the power and controller ports, and added an HDMI extender to the rear of the case. The 2600 mobo is probably doing nothing, likely not even getting power. The games might probably connect into the rPi via the 2600's actual socket, and likely just use 2 or 3 pins as a simple set of switches to tell the rPi which game to load.

Not saying it's not cute or cool, just that it's really unlikely that someone performed an HDMI mod on a 2600 and then coded actual 2600 games to run on it. All for some fast food marketing gimmick that they only sent to a few places.

Of course that's what's going on, dennys didn't contract out someone to reinvent the wheel and make the 2600 spit out hdmi

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

"Special Feature" indeed :okpos::weed:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does a HDMI mod for an Atari 2600 exist?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For some reason I remember the Denny's thing even though I was in elementary school at the time, and I didn't even know what a Denny's was back then. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/25/us/denny-s-restaurants-to-pay-54-million-in-race-bias-suits.html?pagewanted=all

Then there was this pretty recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-uDZS7BZf4

(if you don't feel like watching, a Denny's manager takes a chair, sits down next to a black couple, and tells them they have to pay before their meal comes, but they are the only people in there that he says that to).

I also for some reason remember Jack in the Box burgers literally killing people; again I was in elementary school at the time and had no idea what Jack in the Box was, and anyone I ask my age has no clue what the hell I am talking about. I guess I just took an interest in business controversies at a young age for some reason. Even horrible fake ones like the one that spread about the KKK owning Mystic brand beverages. I am convinced poo poo like that is secretly spread by a competitor.

Any good retro video game controversies? I can't think of anything major. One that springs to mind was a dad going to the press and complaining that Monsters, Inc. on the Game Boy Advance had obscene language in it. It turned out he bought a bootleg and the bad language was in the hacking group's intro that they didn't bother to chop out of the ROM.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 2, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

also for some reason remember Jack in the Box burgers literally killing people; again I was in elementary school at the time and had no idea what Jack in the Box was, and anyone I ask my age has no clue what the hell I am talking about.

I remember it. There was an e-coli outbreak that killed a few people in the Pacific Northwest because of bad meat handling at the meat processing plant that the jack in the box restaurants in that region used. They closed restaurants in many cities because of the fallout and then in the late 90s changed their image and bounced back somewhat

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How are the OSSC these days? Or it better to get a Framemeister even after it got updated?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

How are the OSSC these days? Or it better to get a Framemeister even after it got updated?

Depends on what you want. Do you want to scale or line double? Each method has its pros and cons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I also for some reason remember Jack in the Box burgers literally killing people; again I was in elementary school at the time and had no idea what Jack in the Box was, and anyone I ask my age has no clue what the hell I am talking about. I guess I just took an interest in business controversies at a young age for some reason. Even horrible fake ones like the one that spread about the KKK owning Mystic brand beverages. I am convinced poo poo like that is secretly spread by a competitor.

Any good retro video game controversies? I can't think of anything major. One that springs to mind was a dad going to the press and complaining that Monsters, Inc. on the Game Boy Advance had obscene language in it. It turned out he bought a bootleg and the bad language was in the hacking group's intro that they didn't bother to chop out of the ROM.

Usually what happens is some majority shareholder or board of directors is affiliated with a rotten group which blows up in the news as "this group is owned by so-and-so" which is exaggerated.

I wish there were some juicy controversies aside from hot coffee nonsense and finding weed in boxes. But the one thing that sickened me when I learned about it was Nintendo's presence during the 90s hearings on violence in games. Sega was defending video games as a legitimate art form and saying it's up to the parents to vet content for their children then Howard Phillips strolls out and completely throws Sega under the bus while advertising their own products.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

al-azad posted:

finding weed in boxes.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Depends on what you want. Do you want to scale or line double? Each method has its pros and cons.

Liked what the liner does in the My Life in Gaming video showed.

• Locked thread