Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You could probably combine the "lockpicks are contraband" idea with the limitation idea. Like you could have a hidden pocket or pouch that only has room for a certain amount of lockpicks, but if you were to go through the Thieves Guild questline you'd be able to unlock (heh) methods for keeping more of them on you simultaneously.

This probably shouldn't be a hard limit though, maybe just make it so that you can only hide a certain amount of them, while the rest might get confiscated as contraband if you're not careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'll be honest, I just download Lock Overhaul and just enable bashing every lock. Or just ignore anything locked. I don't think i've ever picked a lock in Skyrim and been amazed at what I've found, the loot involved just isn't important and it is generally just a big waste of time. Having a whole tree and perk set for them is kind of ridiculous, especially considering what most of the vanilla perks are and that it's ruining your enemy scaling and forcing you to level up.

Honestly I think the best solution is to just eliminate it entirely. Make every locked chest/door have a corresponding key that can be found by either pickpocketing/killing or finding it in the world. Or just bash it, which is a crime in the city and no one cares in a dungeon. It's just not interesting gameplay no matter how much you dress it up, unless you completely rebuilt the Skyrim loot system, dungeons, and economy.

The only time lockpicking is exciting is when you have a time limit or there's danger. You aren't going to get that in Skyrim because you'll generally have already cleared the room or are in stealth already. Pickpocketing has kind of the same problem, the consequences aren't exciting or dangerous, they just waste your time. And then most of the perks just make it easier to lockpick/pickpocket. Ordinator has some fun perks for Lockpicking/Pickpocketing but after using it a couple of times there's really no point to it because you've already broken the economy by being willing to steal in the first place.

Incidentally that mod has a lot of stuff talked about here. Automatically picking locks, setting skill requirements, etc.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Skywind trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8lMMpFIDU

And here's Skywind's rendition of Nerevar Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2liozIXhJA

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I appreciate the idea of Skywind. But man, I'll believe it's actually made it somewhere the day it comes out, and I see it being played. Skyblivion still isn't done (unless something has changed, since I can't get the website to load to save my life), and both of them have been fishing for volunteers since just about day 1 for each project.

Also, hoo boy, that theme didn't need vocals.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bony tony posted:

Skyrim is at its core a game about picking stuff up, and anything that puts up barriers between you and the stuff is bad.

Joking aside

I don't get it. Where's the joke :confused:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bony tony posted:

Joking aside, if you remove the minigame you lose another thiefy skill. It'll be more streamlined, but something is lost at the same time. The interactivity of the Elder Scrolls games is one of the main features after all.
RPG Nerds are capricious but I don’t think there are many who would argue in good faith that lockpicking as depicted in Skyrim is an essential part of the game’s complexity.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

timn posted:

I played around with a mod that disables skill leveling from skill usage and replaces it with a conventional system that earns you EXP points for completing quests, combat, discovering/clearing locations etc. which you can spend to purchase skill levels directly.

It totally defeats one of the main unique draws of a TES game, but it was amazing how many of the balance and quality of life issues in vanilla Skyrim are easily solved or rendered N/A with a traditional EXP system. Sneak is no longer absurdly easy to level, crafting and armor skills are no longer a pain in the rear end without gamey grinding, and you're never stuck in a situation where you have to change your playstyle or do something illogical to make the kind of progress you want.

Do you remember what the mod is called?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
it's probably SXP

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I saw a really comprehensive "make skyrim look good" install guide recently but I can't find it again. I think it was linked from Reddit. Anyone know? It covered stuff like LODs which always confuse me.

I really just want a "install these mods in this order" guide that is up to date and has been thoroughly tested. I hate when mod guides are like "you have four options for tree bark, pick the one that you think looks best". I don't know which looks best! Just pick one for me!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m digging immersive armors but I’ve held off on immersive weapons because 1) I think the op says it’s not quite as good? And 2) I feel like I had trouble with it last time.

Is it still the go-to for adding some variance to the dagger-1h/2h-sword-axe-mace spread? I don’t necessarily want better stuff so much as some well executed variety in models.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 2, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gamespot did an interview with one of the devs for Skyblivion, interesting stuff, though apparently he's been receiving death threats for not releasing the development build to the public, something which would break their agreement with Bethesda (the mod is fine as long as they don't publish Bethesda assets, the dev build contains Oblivion placeholder assets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2R8e3X4QAI

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

fuf posted:

I saw a really comprehensive "make skyrim look good" install guide recently but I can't find it again. I think it was linked from Reddit. Anyone know? It covered stuff like LODs which always confuse me.

I really just want a "install these mods in this order" guide that is up to date and has been thoroughly tested. I hate when mod guides are like "you have four options for tree bark, pick the one that you think looks best". I don't know which looks best! Just pick one for me!

Tucoguide maybe.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Red Metal posted:

it's probably SXP

Yeah that's the one. For what it is, it seems to work pretty elegantly because everything downstream of leveling your skills operates the same as in vanilla. There are some more fiddly bits like the rest points but I just ignored those.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

the yeti posted:

I’m digging immersive armors but I’ve held off on immersive weapons because 1) I think the op says it’s not quite as good? And 2) I feel like I had trouble with it last time.

Is it still the go-to for adding some variance to the dagger-1h/2h-sword-axe-mace spread? I don’t necessarily want better stuff so much as some well executed variety in models.
Many, many years ago I installed Immersive Weapons in Oldrim and many of the models were laughably bad. It may have improved since then, but yeah.

Is it the lore weapon expansion that does a much better job?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

the yeti posted:

Some are good, some are terrible. Honestly I only really notice the bad ones when my character is holding them rather than enemies though. So I just don't craft the uggo ones for myself.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There's a mod called Animated Armoury I like which adds a small selection of rapiers, quarterstaffs, spears, and halberds. They look good and round out vanilla's selection of weapons without being intrusive.

Edit: Diablo 2 asssassin-style claws too since I last checked it out, apparently.

timn fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 2, 2019

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Now that I think about it another neat thing would be if laborers or poor bandits could come at attackers with their tools or implements, I forget if that exists at all besides the pickaxe being a weapon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

timn posted:

There's a mod called Animated Armoury I like which adds a small selection of rapiers, quarterstaffs, spears, and halberds. They look good and round out vanilla's selection of weapons without being intrusive.

I love Animated Armoury, but it doesn’t seem to play nice with XPMSSE and/or Immersive Animations or something. I know you’re not supposed to treat Papyrus like a crash log, but the one consistent thing I’ve noticed every time SE has crashed on me lately has been when it was trying to do something related to Animated Armoury.

Or maybe it’s XPMSE? From what I recall it’s buggy as poo poo. Either way it’s super annoying.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
That's a bummer, I've not tried it with SE, but I remember at least in the Oldrim version there are different flavors available for how it goes about implementing custom 1st-person animations. The fancier and more script-heavy non-replacer version I had some kind of trouble with, so I know there's at least some room to experiment if it does appear to be causing problems.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ThaumPenguin posted:

New Skywind trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8lMMpFIDU

And here's Skywind's rendition of Nerevar Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2liozIXhJA

so help these bastards if an imperial guard doesn't tell me to "keep moving" as i sprint past at breakneck speeds

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

fuf posted:

Average Bear posted:

Tucoguide maybe.

TucoGuide definitely seems to be the Big Deal for visual overhauls right now, although I've seen others like the STEP project out there.

Having used TucoGuide as the foundation of modding Skyrim again, I strongly recommend it. It created a great visual foundation for me to start from and add a bunch of mechanical stuff too. On top of that, it's got you using Mod Organizer and LOOT from the very beginning, making expanding in any direction with mods very easy.

If I have a complaint it's that all of the body replacer related stuff is kind of big-tiddy/sexy lady oriented. They're legit better than vanilla, and legit look good (although some of Apachii hairs are pretty over the top and clearly intended for screen shots, not actually playing the game), I just can't help but roll my eyes at the very male gaze dominated TES modding scene.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Skip the titty poo poo and Apache hairs. I wish I could remember these but look up Salt and Wind or something like that as a replacer. There's also a good skin replacer but I can never remember the name.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

the yeti posted:

Now that I think about it another neat thing would be if laborers or poor bandits could come at attackers with their tools or implements, I forget if that exists at all besides the pickaxe being a weapon.

Rustic Weapons Pack adds a lot of these. I don't believe it touches bandits, though. Either that or I've got too many other mods that add possible weapons.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jade Rider posted:

Rustic Weapons Pack adds a lot of these. I don't believe it touches bandits, though. Either that or I've got too many other mods that add possible weapons.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. (ed- or not, it seems like the SE version doesn't exist despite a link on that page to the contrary :( )

Possibly dumb question: When an ENB such as SkyrimSE Re-engaged has a version "for" a weather mod, what does that imply? Tuned to look best with? Required to be used with?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 2, 2019

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Not required, an ENB only adds an extra "layer" to how the game looks on screen. Which is why you can easily turn it on and off with no issues. So it's only for sake of staying true to the intended look which that weather mod provides. ENBs also affects image space, meaning that for example, if you got some distant fog, an ENB will tamper that and provide you with clear vision. An enb with the new weather support will in most instances be able to retain the image space of the weather mod so it doesn't alter it too much.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I posted a wall of text asking for advice on a race mod, so I though maybe we start with one at a time so its not that daunting. I am looking for any advice. Inspiration, lore, gameplay, under the hood etc. advice. Seriously any genuine comment is worthwhile. My inital idea was:

Nords:

-Woad. Adds a flat bonus armor (40) + stagger resistance chance (50 percent change to completely resist a stagger) upon reaching 30 percent health in combat.

Frost resistance maintained just as it is. Woad is based on active ability from Oblivion which provides 30 pts of shield. However, doing the same in Skyrim is problematic because hitting hard cap with armor happens fast so I cannot provide too much, and providing too little armor as I intended (40) provides too little until super lategame, where again, its quite irrelevant due to hitting the cap. So any advice on doing the same thing in a better way or provide something cooler is much appreciated.

I intend to keep stagger resist chance as I think that is quite fitting to nords and the whole fantasy of being hardy.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 3, 2019

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The thing about health thresholds is skyrim is a game that encourages you to guzzle potions when you take damage, and staying at low health is a power attack away from death regardless. So I don't think many players would get to see the abilities.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Midig posted:

Not required, an ENB only adds an extra "layer" to how the game looks on screen. Which is why you can easily turn it on and off with no issues. So it's only for sake of staying true to the intended look which that weather mod provides. ENBs also affects image space, meaning that for example, if you got some distant fog, an ENB will tamper that and provide you with clear vision. An enb with the new weather support will in most instances be able to retain the image space of the weather mod so it doesn't alter it too much.

ok cool, that's about what I hoped was the answer re: image space; the re-engaged Obsidian preset is nice and all but some of the other ones are slightly more to my taste. Looks like with the super-ultra version I get about 40-50 fps outside and a solid 60 inside, I think I can live with that.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My personal favorite is silent horizon ENB. Has weather support for Obsidian. Highly recommended to try it out.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Average Bear posted:

The thing about health thresholds is skyrim is a game that encourages you to guzzle potions when you take damage, and staying at low health is a power attack away from death regardless. So I don't think many players would get to see the yabilities.

That is the initial idea. The bonuses should be quite strong so that it can really save you in a pinch. That way they are very strong without always being present. In this example, being able to block damage and resist stagger might save you if the fight is a close call.

Considering what you are saying. Id rather make it too powerful than too weak and start with 100 armor and buff it again once you reach level 15.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 3, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why Skyrim SE didn't load properly after installing mods. Ahh, this is the life. (It was Simply Knock, for the record.)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Midig posted:

My personal favorite is silent horizon ENB. Has weather support for Obsidian. Highly recommended to try it out.

Okay yeah this one rules, MUCH better colors, especially on peoples faces, AND a couple extra fps! Although if I get close to a candle my fps cuts in half til I look away, that's amusing.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

the yeti posted:

Okay yeah this one rules, MUCH better colors, especially on peoples faces, AND a couple extra fps! Although if I get close to a candle my fps cuts in half til I look away, that's amusing.

You got particle patch for ENB?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

bony tony posted:

I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why Skyrim SE didn't load properly after installing mods. Ahh, this is the life. (It was Simply Knock, for the record.)

If you're still interested in the mod, remember to grab the updated Simply Knock SKSE64 DLL

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Midig posted:

You got particle patch for ENB?

I thought I did, that should fix it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just avoid the time-dilation event horizon of candles, then.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Dunmer:

-Ancestors Wrath: 25 percent damage reflect + 4 spirit damage (unblockable) while under 40 percent health.

-50 percent fire resist

This will add a white ghost like effect which can now stack with magic cloak spells. It will now be fairly good early game and lategame.

Orcs:

-Berserk. Almost same ability, activates upon reaching 30 percent health. 2x weapon damage and 2x less damage taken. Added 30 percent spell damage as well so you would not feel completely bad about not being an orc warrior.

Redguard:

-Adrenaline Rush. Bonus weapon damage, move speed, stamina regeneration (massive for stamina due to stamina not being able to increase while using it) while under 40 percent health.

-Poison and disease resist

Just really buffing adrenaline rush as it is a cool idea, but lackluster in vanilla.

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 5, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So after bringing up SXP I decided to try really sinking my teeth back into it and I really recommend it. For the first time in this game character progression feels properly paced for a full playthrough and doesn't start petering out after a few questlines. Also, equipment from loot and quest rewards is actually compelling because you can't just grind up your crafting skills from the get go and turn the game into one long victory lap.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I finished my Limited Lockpicks mod! Feedback is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Now that I've gotten to the real meat of the game-- meticulously outfitting houses--did any good mods ever pop up that let your followers 'work' actually produce quarried stone or clay or nails or whatever? (Has that been happening all along and I missed it?)