Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DrNutt posted:

You know, for as much as people maligned Destiny for hiding the good plot stuff on their website via the Grimoire, I would love a Mass Effect codex app for my phone. I rarely want to sit and read codex entries while I'm playing, but I'd love to read a few codex entries on the toilet or during breaks at work. Games should really have as little non-gameplay poo poo as possible in them, and it's the perfect kind of content for a companion app.

They did one for ME3. You hooked it up to your Origin account and it would add new entries as you unlocked them in game. You could run timed missions that would add to the bonus readiness you got from multiplayer.

You even got text messages from characters in game.

It's not on the app store anymore, I know you can re-download it if you already had it but I don't know if the Origin hooks still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Veotax posted:

They did one for ME3. You hooked it up to your Origin account and it would add new entries as you unlocked them in game. You could run timed missions that would add to the bonus readiness you got from multiplayer.

You even got text messages from characters in game.

It's not on the app store anymore, I know you can re-download it if you already had it but I don't know if the Origin hooks still work.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that.

I think it's weird to be upset about having to go to a website to read something when the "content" you're referring to is literally blocks of text. Like really, I guess some people enjoy sitting in front to of their bigass TV reading stories on them but I'd rather play the game and read that stuff later, when I can't play the game.

Offering both is clearly the best compromise since it seems pretty trivial to throw some text in a menu of the game itself.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is weeks back. i like his writing. he wrote the great parts of me3 and 2.

Patrick Weekes is the new lead writer for Dragon Age so I'm guessing he will have no input on Mass Effect going forward.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Reclaimer posted:

Just lol if you were too gormless to stand up to Sera while pursuing a romance with her.

Sometimes wifeys fight yo.

ehh. i was more a cassandra person. sera was just too annoying for my taste. i just hung out with bull, dorian and cassandra.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Patrick Weekes is the new lead writer for Dragon Age so I'm guessing he will have no input on Mass Effect going forward.

stinks but that makes me hopeful for new dragon age.

PureRok posted:

Sera was the best character after Dorian, who was the best bro.

I liked dorian alot despite being a little too wheadonish at times. he was a fun character and made the tevinter interesting. i dont get the love for sera, but to each their own.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. i was more a cassandra person. sera was just too annoying for my taste. i just hung out with bull, dorian and cassandra.

stinks but that makes me hopeful for new dragon age.

I liked dorian alot despite being a little too wheadonish at times. he was a fun character and made the tevinter interesting. i dont get the love for sera, but to each their own.

If you had a shot at Cassandra you didn't have a shot at Sera. I did enjoy how Cassandra was initially put off by flirting from my femquisitor though and over time came to appreciate it if not reciprocate.

I liked Sera 'cause I felt like she complimented the sorta dry and desperate character arc I was going for. I understand why people hate her, but I cried a little when I read her post-wedding diary and I don't care who knows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

If you had a shot at Cassandra you didn't have a shot at Sera. I did enjoy how Cassandra was initially put off by flirting from my femquisitor though and over time came to appreciate it if not reciprocate.

I liked Sera 'cause I felt like she complimented the sorta dry and desperate character arc I was going for. I understand why people hate her, but I cried a little when I read her post-wedding diary and I don't care who knows.

yeah. i played as some weird Nikolaj Coster-Waldau looking dude who was a kind hearted with a humor streak and could be a brutal mother fucker when it came down to it. to be honest i never finished the game. the busy work gating(plus the terrible quest marking) and everything being a fetch quest, killed the game for me. i wish they just went with action combat like the witcher(but better) or full tactical, because the MMO hybrid stuff gets old. i wanted to like it but it just got old fast.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DrNutt posted:

You know, for as much as people maligned Destiny for hiding the good plot stuff on their website via the Grimoire, I would love a Mass Effect codex app for my phone. I rarely want to sit and read codex entries while I'm playing, but I'd love to read a few codex entries on the toilet or during breaks at work. Games should really have as little non-gameplay poo poo as possible in them, and it's the perfect kind of content for a companion app.

HATE CODICES

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

homullus posted:

HATE CODICES

lol. i like codexs if they are easily accessible and easily read. like i love any game that has copious amount a lore poo poo that collectble.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Not sure why bioware opted to skip mass effect 3 and and start something new. That multiplayer mass effect game they put out was very fun. Any idea how I can start playing andromeda early?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reclaimer posted:

Josephine was pretty great, shame her romance never mentioned the Inquisitor's gender once.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does it have to?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

Does it have to?

Not necessarily, but it is a rather lazy way to approach a bisexual character and TOR is the same way. It's just a shame when the other queer option for women is Milo Yiannopolous with pointed ears.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Does it have to?

Well, on the one hand, Bioware has gotten some flak in the past for taking the easy road when it comes to bi or gay romances where they just switch off the gender prerequisite with little to no additional work.

On the other, there is something a little charming about the lady inquisitor dueling a dude for Josephine affections and nobody batting an eyelash over it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

It's just a shame when the other queer option for women is Milo Yiannopolous with pointed ears.

Course, that's always the rub. Better nuance means having fewer options. I like the direction Bioware is going, in general terms, but getting stuck with Sera as one of only two choices does kinda suck.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

On the other, there is something a little charming about the lady inquisitor dueling a dude for Josephine affections and nobody batting an eyelash over it.

Oh absolutely, but I'd have appreciated Josephine herself acknowledging the Inquisitor's gender a little. Just like with the bi romances in TOR, though, it's a completely sexless, genderless romance. Liara just barely avoids it with about one line per game that's different for male and female Shepards.

I wouldn't be as annoyed about it in Josephine's case if the alternative for queer ladies wasn't a top contender for most insufferable (I think she's a pretty good character, mind, I just cannot stand interacting with her) party member in Bioware history for me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I definitely agree, even if it's a single line of dialogue, something in the bisexual romances that acknowledges the PC as more than a genderless sockpuppet would be nice.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Not necessarily, but it is a rather lazy way to approach a bisexual character and TOR is the same way. It's just a shame when the other queer option for women is Milo Yiannopolous with pointed ears.

You could have also ridden the bull.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

You could have also ridden the bull.

Except that The Iron Bull is not a woman.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Iron Bull was a boring library codex for explaining about the geth or whatever those horn people were called.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

I wouldn't be as annoyed about it in Josephine's case if the alternative for queer ladies wasn't a top contender for most insufferable (I think she's a pretty good character, mind, I just cannot stand interacting with her) party member in Bioware history for me.

Yeah, that's basically my problem with Sera, she's well written, but you can't really interact with her views or change her mind. In most cases your best option is to just say "Get the gently caress off my mountain" which seems kind of uncharitable to the writer.

Playing through the game as an Elf Mage basically results in several "STOP BEING YOU!" conversations on her part.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, that's basically my problem with Sera, she's well written, but you can't really interact with her views or change her mind. In most cases your best option is to just say "Get the gently caress off my mountain" which seems kind of uncharitable to the writer.

Playing through the game as an Elf Mage basically results in several "STOP BEING YOU!" conversations on her part.

Yeah, my first game was as a lady elf mage and I'd initially planned to romance Sera until I found out who she is, so I went for Solas instead. Got to call Sera a shem'len near the end of the game, though, which was great.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

I want to speak to your commanding officer!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Skippy McPants posted:

I definitely agree, even if it's a single line of dialogue, something in the bisexual romances that acknowledges the PC as more than a genderless sockpuppet would be nice.

Agreed, they should program the dialogue so that during the sex scene the character goes "Oh, inquisitor, i sure do love your big fat penis! / big fat vagina!" (depending on your player character)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hedrigall posted:

Agreed, they should program the dialogue so that during the sex scene the character goes "Oh, inquisitor, i sure do love your big fat penis! / big fat vagina!" (depending on your player character)

Only if when they speak that line they sit straight up, T-Pose, and speak it in a robotic monotone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Because this is the internet, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. In case you're not: being attracted to multiple genders is not the same thing as being blind to gender.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 5, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

thats actually a good comparison.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skippy McPants posted:

Because this is the internet, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. In case you're not: being attracted to multiple genders is not the same thing as being blind to gender.

*andromeda thread downwards drilling intensifies*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

*andromeda thread downwards drilling intensifies*

Is that where the strong impact sex comes from?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Surprised you haven't been able to romance an AI yet tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

they were making a joke. no offence but not everything need to be serious lesson time on academic gender studies.

Flipswitch posted:

Surprised you haven't been able to romance an AI yet tbh

joker did. and it was kinda sad and creepy.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is that where the strong impact sex comes from?

yes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh yea I forgot about Joker

He wanted to fist the robot girls

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Oh yea I forgot about Joker

He wanted to fist the robot girls

i like joker alot, but it always annoyed me that he just ended up being "the creep who wants to gently caress/fist robots".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It could have been a touching story highlighting that AI can be equivalent to people and dating an AI is no different than dating another "life" form, but then EDI got a cameltoe and Joker got mouth-breathing creepy about it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

It could have been a touching story highlighting that AI can be equivalent to people and dating an AI is no different than dating another "life" form, but then EDI got a cameltoe and Joker got mouth-breathing creepy about it.

well obviously

what, do you really expect me to believe that people care about things like personality and chemistry? no, sa forums user marshmallow creep, they only care about chrome t'n'a, especially when they have boneitis

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Joker didn't want to gently caress robots. He wanted to gently caress his ship - which conveniently ended up getting a sexy robot body.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zakmonster posted:

Joker didn't want to gently caress robots. He wanted to gently caress his ship - which conveniently ended up getting a sexy robot body.

they should have tricked him into sticking his dick in the propulsion at the back of the ship, then gunned the engine.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The "Joker and EDI fight like an old married couple" jokes were taken to their logical conclusion - EDI got a hot robot body and Joker hosed her

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Bull Was A Bad Character

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lotta bad bioware characters posting in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Never played the dragon age games but is this bull character dude what I'm imagining