Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You guys forgot the beard and "eating trash like when you were still in but not exercising anymore" gut.

I still get my hair cut as a fade because the army broke me and I really like having very short hair on the back of my head. It feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Aranan posted:

You guys forgot the beard and "eating trash like when you were still in but not exercising anymore" gut.

I still get my hair cut as a fade because the army broke me and I really like having very short hair on the back of my head. It feels good.

I'm getting past the first part, but I'm still stuck on the second

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

This may well be me in the future. I never had particularly long hair before I was in, and it's just so comfortable and easy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Long hair rules. It takes getting used to and requires different haircare routines, but it's really nice in my opinion.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My hair would be messy and I'd have a five a clock shadow if the Army would let me. It's all I can grow really, I can't do a full beard.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

This may well be me in the future. I never had particularly long hair before I was in, and it's just so comfortable and easy.

I just get a low fade with relatively long hair on top (enough to be able to style it). It doesn't look particularly military at all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

I just get a low fade with relatively long hair on top (enough to be able to style it). It doesn't look particularly military at all.

It also doesn't help that I basically have chia-head hair. Fortunately, hair product was rather in when I was in high school. Without it, unless I go somewhat long, it doesn't style worth a drat.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
My forehead is way too high to pull any of that off, especially when my hair becomes an uncontrollable mess of curls if I let it grow out. I usually chop all that stuff off. I'm pretty ugly, but I can pull bald off better than the alternatives.

Also,

I am ashamed of permatrolls, but will at most times conduct myself so as to bring credit to the idea-this rep, it is earned, regardless of the lies in which we fool ourselves.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've always hated shaving my face- it hurts to shave no matter what I do. It hurts less with a proper shave (opened pores, shaving soap, brush, new razor)- poo poo I couldn't do in the Army. I look better with a beard anyway, but I let it go from scruff, to jerk veteran length, to homeless, and now my fat Rasputin cosplay is looking good.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Bell_ posted:

at most times conduct myself so as to bring credit to

Triggered

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Anyone know How to make SSD 1 work? My new unfortunate roommate in korea just got here from basic and has 5 days to complete SSD1, all this after workdays of course Because ROCK OF THE MARNE. Unfortunately my laptop wont update the module status and I dont Remember How I Did it since I nearly drank myself to death the day I finished it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hahaha oh yeah, for those that don't know, if you are in your primary or secondary zone and don't have SSD1 finished by April 1st you're barred from reenlisted. That's explaining that.

Edit: for some actual constructive help, my coworker had to do it and he spent the first two days talking to the help line because that website sucks rear end.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 19, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't know what any of those acronyms mean but it reminds me: smdftb army

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Valtonen posted:

Anyone know How to make SSD 1 work? My new unfortunate roommate in korea just got here from basic and has 5 days to complete SSD1, all this after workdays of course Because ROCK OF THE MARNE. Unfortunately my laptop wont update the module status and I dont Remember How I Did it since I nearly drank myself to death the day I finished it.

You used to click course content, then each page url (and give it 5-10 seconds to fully process) then move on. Sometimes it'll skip a part and you have to go back and it makes you want to hurt people.

I had to do mine before I could leave post in AIT. After doing it we still had to have 3 people sign a counseling statement to sign out and could only leave for like 4 hours max.

The army is loving stupid

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
They are making new soldiers do their ssd in loving tradoc? lol what a world

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mods change my name posted:

They are making new soldiers do their ssd in loving tradoc? lol what a world

That’s entirely unit dependent. It’s not a TRADOC requirement at all, but commanders have wide authority to add on to pass requirements. So some AITs are really liberal with pass while others make it nearly impossible to do more than an occasional toiletries and haircut run.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You used to be able to just skip through most of the content for SSD 1. I made a bit of money by doing it for people.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You used to be able to just skip through most of the content for SSD 1. I made a bit of money by doing it for people.

Wasn't it something like taking the url and putting '.certificate' or whatever the final web page is, and putting the person's name just before that?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Something like that, I don't remember it anymore. Purged it from my brain after getting out

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I’ve been getting automatic emails telling me to complete SSD1 for some reason, I just delete them. No idea why I’m getting them.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Weren't you OCS aka prior enlisted? Probably got put into some tracker and never taken out.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

some poor bastard who is still in posted:

SSD1

it warms my heart that there is an army acronym i don't know the meaning of

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Structured Self Development

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

you son of a bitch

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't worry, it's just as meaningless as all those other army marketing buzzwords

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's designed to make our junior soldiers on a more stable glide path as they lean forward in the foxhole of their careers, i will never accept defeat

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love how this can be literally anything from "don't rape your friends" to "learn how to use a bank account you loving idiots"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Carteret posted:

I love how this can be literally anything from "don't rape your friends" to "learn how to use a bank account you loving idiots"

But instead it's just bland nothingness that is immediately forgotten. I think there was a part about map reading? I remember more from SERE 100 than I do SSD 1.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
SSD-3 was basically just general army poo poo like the first part of BNCOC/ALC and also every other quarterly training type thing you can conceive of, and like 1000 hours long it felt like

edit: iirc it had loving mandatory discussion boards and poo poo, it was really terrible

edit2: hell maybe I am thinking of the first part of BNCOC/ALC now that I think about it, I did them all around the same time and they were all equally dumb and useless, but at least the ALC thing gave me promotion points

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 19, 2018

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Don’t bother committing it to memory because they just renamed them all DLC

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I went to DIK and got hosed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

It's designed to make our junior warriors on a more stable glide path as they lean forward in the foxhole of their careers, i will never accept defeat
ftfy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Kind of hosed up how the Air Force side of JBLM has a really nice huge PX that’s never crowded and the Army one is half the size and always packed during lunch.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a rule or something to keep you from going to the USAF one?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is there a rule or something to keep you from going to the USAF one?

Different branch, different uniforms on the shelves. Might not have what he needs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I was differentiating between clothing and sales and the PX my mistake

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I got registered for SSD 2 and figured out that I could click the last page of a module, and spam the page back button, and Google the test, so I finished SSD 2 in two hours.

Someone on Gip I think is scouting for these "hacks" because just after I mentioned it, my team had to find a new way to break the Cyber Awareness Challenge video game.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

No but I have to get on the interstate to get to McChord airfield because Fort Lewis and McChord have no roads directly connecting each other.

Army dudes that live on McChord end up having a commute because they have to get on the interstate or take backroads. Either way they’re also going through a gate during morning rush hour.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense, I've only ever been on JBLM for a few days and never really drove around to see how the USAF half lived.

I wasn't trying to be a complete dick about the rule thing, because part of me honestly wouldn't even be surprised if there was a rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's going to be nice to go on a family vacation and not have to provide a detailed itenerary and give an interview beforehand (once I get out). Sheesh.