Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

taichara posted:

Subaki's a guy, pegapony notwithstanding.

Subaki is a convienient free unit that works well on the Ursula map, who they're referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Isn't Subaki the only male pegapony? He's just that pretty.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, there's also Shigure who's much prettier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sky Knights are technically not Pegasus Knights

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
"Surely the next banner will be Tellius" - lies I tell myself at night

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just turned Sharena into 5* and things have gotten a lot smoother. It's too bad she's gonna replace Nowi, but falchion users are too prevalent for Nowi to effectively counter swordlords. Fuckin' Marth.

Also, why is Marth better than Lyn? Is it because of the falchion?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Falchion is very broadly good and Lyn is a lot harder to use to her full potential. She's one of the absolute strongest units in the game but imposes a lot more team building constraints, plus she's kinda fragile.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, the Falchion alone makes a huge difference.

Lyn is a bit too fragile to make full use of her desperate attack and sol katti. Galeforce, being 5-charge, is also generally not as useful. Vantage 3 on Lyn could be interesting. Would synergize with her other abilities really well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

5-charge abilities are pretty much only viable on units with brave weapons and it's still kind of too long.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Galeforce, being 5-charge, is also generally not as useful as her faster charging abilities.

I used Lyn in my arena team for a few days and I actually came to the conclusion that Galeforce is worse on her than Astra, since a lot of the time I'd have to attack the same unit anyway.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Andrast posted:

5-charge abilities are pretty much only viable on units with brave weapons and it's still kind of too long.

Lyn has Desperation-on-a-stick and reliably doubles most units in the game so it's not that hard to trigger with a dancer.

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, the Falchion alone makes a huge difference.

Lyn is a bit too fragile to make full use of her desperate attack and sol katti. Galeforce, being 5-charge, is also generally not as useful. Vantage 3 on Lyn could be interesting. Would synergize with her other abilities really well.

I dunno how Vantage would compare to similar skills (Quick Riposte/Brash Assault) but she might actually really like Escape Route since it would enable her to zoom across the map and snipe multiple people in a single turn with Sol Katti active.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I kind of hope I can give CorrinF Svalinn Shield. She'd make a great tank/debuffer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Philip Rivers posted:

Falchion is very broadly good and Lyn is a lot harder to use to her full potential. She's one of the absolute strongest units in the game but imposes a lot more team building constraints, plus she's kinda fragile.

No reds are the strongest units in the game. Because they are red.

There aren't enough good greens, and too many strong blues, for them to be valuable.

Olivia is the best red available.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Lucina is every bit as strong as her reputation is. She crushes Hector, all the dragons except CorrinF and even Takumi will lose to her. Even in a meta where everyone accounts for red swords, Lucina is still an effective attacker.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Apparently, Effie is much better defense bait than Eirika and Kagero were. :psyduck:

Before the voting gauntlet, my arena defense team was Eirika, Effie, Julia, Kagero. Part of this is laziness of not wanting to bother rotating my highest level people out of my first party, part of it's apathy about not really giving a crap about the Arena. Got two defense wins at some point. During the voting gauntlet, I swapped Kagero to the lead position to help out my team, and also swapped in Hawkeye because he was close to level 40, so I wanted to grind him the rest of the way up just to have it done with. After Eirika lost in round two, I joined Lucina's team, and I also switched my lead from Kagero to Effie. During this time, I also swapped out Hawkeye to grind up Nino for the Ursula fight. At some point after switching my leader to Effie and swapping in Nino as my green unit, I got three more defense wins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Eirika always comes as 5*, Effie doesn't. I imagine people see Eirika, the 5* from the banner, and choose something else, but they see Effie and they're like "whatever I'll just kite it" but they're wrong. So wrong.

I've been using Olivia as defense bait, people do NOT fear the dancers it makes no sense-- dancers change the game. The danger zone guide doesn't help when dancers are running around.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

jokes posted:

I think Eirika always comes as 5*, Effie doesn't. I imagine people see Eirika, the 5* from the banner, and choose something else, but they see Effie and they're like "whatever I'll just kite it" but they're wrong. So wrong.

I've been using Olivia as defense bait, people do NOT fear the dancers it makes no sense-- dancers change the game. The danger zone guide doesn't help when dancers are running around.

Eirika comes in 4* now. I got her that way.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wait do people still actually choose their arena opponents based on one visible hero over going advanced every time regardless?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RE: the new banner: I will echo the "wait, why is Lucius a healer and not a mage?" sentiment. That just seems weird, but then again, Raven was made into an axe-user to fill out the roster so they're probably just making sure those two are consistent.

My money is also on Jaffar having the Poison Dagger line, just so Kagero isn't the only dagger user to worry about facing.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Eirika is the best red in terms of damage potential because she gives +10 damage to Nino alone and also opens up your dancer slot for Azura so you can push it to +14 with Fortify Res. Ain't nobody loving with a 60 attack Nino.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I took on a triple level 40 party with my highest level being 37 Eirika and like 25 Nino. He had a level 1 character to max out his cheese, but I still won because Klein>Takumi.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is 4* Effie good enough to help clear Ursula's lunatic mode?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is 4* Effie good enough to help clear Ursula's lunatic mode?

Yeah probly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

acumen posted:

Wait do people still actually choose their arena opponents based on one visible hero over going advanced every time regardless?

You don't have to fight every time. If you back out you lose the sword but keep your streak.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
God bless Effie, I finally beat Ursula for the 3*

Edit: Basically, the top thief decided to try to attack Effie for laffs after Ursula got KO'd from Nino and got punted for it. Nino then blew away the green knight from the other side of the wall thanks to Olivia. The red cavalry guy couldn't even scratch Effie and then the last few turns were her chasing down the second thief. I love Effie.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hope i eventually get the other flyers with flyer specific buffs so i can roll Cherche and Minerva in the same team just because Cherche constantly talks about her wyvern named Minerva.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Well, I guess the game hosed me over. My Effie is -Def/+Speed. 25 def at level 35. Wow. I'm just.. gently caress the IV system, seriously. This is putting a hamper on making her my tank for Ursula's map.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Cosmic Afro posted:

Well, I guess the game hosed me over. My Effie is -Def/+Speed. 25 def at level 35. Wow. I'm just.. gently caress the IV system, seriously. This is putting a hamper on making her my tank for Ursula's map.

hi5 hasty Effie buddy

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh man Blazing Sword banner :allears: It looks like Ninian is holding a Dragonstone in her art, I bet they'll make her a green just so there's three different colors of dancers. Boo that Hector isn't a featured character though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ninian is an ice dragon so it'd be weird for her to be green but weirder things have happened already in this game

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Ninian is an ice dragon so it'd be weird for her to be green but weirder things have happened already in this game

There are already 2 red and blue dragons and dancers in both those colors. If Ninian is a dragon dancer then she'd fill out the roster well if she's green.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Cosmic Afro posted:

If it makes you feel better, I have 4!!!! MRobins that are -spd +def. The gently caress will use is a mage that can't kill other mages but can take a facepunch from close combat units?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Fire Emblem has grouped ice with wind magic before.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ubiquitus posted:

If it makes you feel better, I have 4!!!! MRobins that are -spd +def. The gently caress will use is a mage that can't kill other mages but can take a facepunch from close combat units?

Owns Takumi, still has uses against sword lords

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Masked Guy's unique tome in 9-4 is ice-based and he's blue.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ubiquitus posted:

This has been the case with a bunch of enemy mages in my experience.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With Marth on my team, my motto becomes: "If I see a dragon, I'm gonna kill it" because, no matter the color or stats, my +ATK/-HP marth will murder it and it will be particularly brutal. The fact that swordlords gently caress up Nino too is just icing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ubiquitus posted:

Having a mage with one less defense than neutral Effie is pretty valuable imo and has won me a ton of content.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ubiquitus posted:

M Robin is a brick shithouse and DEF modifies his combat skill too, I'd say there's gotta be worse modifiers for him than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

acumen posted:

Having a mage with one less defense than neutral Effie is pretty valuable imo and has won me a ton of content.

Yeah he does very little damage if he doesn't have triangle advantage but he's very tough.