Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

LOL.

The best part is Cuck2 refuses to acknowledge that this is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Deified Data posted:

Can any experienced modelers help me out?

...If so what do you guys use to cut metal models? Is it even worth the effort?

I know he's finecast so this question is kinda moot but the answer is a jewelers saw and it's pretty easy between that and a pin vise to kitbash metal models.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I ran into a rules problem last night. In matched play can a single pysker cast smite more than once. Played a 3 v 3 campaign game with some guys who i have never played with before and one of them was playing thousands sons with 3 psykers dumping 7 smites a turn. I couldn't find anything in the rule book that said you couldn't do this and the table was split on how they thought it worked. I let it go cause i didnt want to slow down the game but it was brutal and it gave them an edge in a very close match.

Anyone know exactly how this works?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Smite is an exception to the normal 'one attempt per power per turn' rule for matched play, but the normal psychic rules restricting individual psykers to one attempt per power apply. It's in 'making a psychic test,' point 2 in the psychic phase rules.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
“A psyker cannot attempt to manifest the same psychic power more than once in a turn.”

Last sentence in the first column of the psychic phase page.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't going to do the "new edition new army" thing and then suddenly I woke up and had become a member of the Celestial Lions.

Tabletop ready, minus transfers. Sigh. Time to get more marines I guess.

e: actually just gonna use this space to talk about this kit.

Probably the best kit I've seen come out of Games Workshop in years, straight up. The limbs are almost fully poseable. By just cutting one nib, the knees can be taken out of the default leg pose and reposed any way you want. There are no magnets on my model, but it can still swap weapons without any issue at all. Compared to nightmares like the old Dreadknight, it's a breath of fresh air and wonder. The front plate is removable (also no glue) and could be easily customized or replaced with a 3d print if you don't like the beer paunch look. You could very easily use no glue on the limbs at all and just repose it like an action figure, if you put it together tight enough.

About the only things the kit doesn't do is rubberizing the joints and having pre-colored plastic, but GW isn't shy about its pre-colored plastics in the intro sets either. Watching unpainted intro games where the armies actually look like the right colors out of the box is much, much better than the usual sea of grey. I digress. The kit sold me on the model where the beer belly preview pics never would have. A+ experience.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 16, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I wasn't going to do the "new edition new army" thing and then suddenly I woke up and had become a member of the Celestial Lions.

Tabletop ready, minus transfers. Sigh. Time to get more marines I guess.

I've been permanently stuck between purple marines, Doom marines, and Celestial Lions for my Primaris dudes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Dreadnought plastic missile launcher arms are out of stock on every single bitz site I am aware of. Anyone have one that they woudl accept my firstborn for?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SRM posted:

The LVO really doesn't seem like my scene, and I can only afford so many ham trips a year. I've never been though.

A shame. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Just use kromlech man. I've been using them recently and I like the sculpts.

https://bitsofwar.com/home/475-legionary-sentry-gun-twin-minigun.html

They have the full set, it's just their razorback turrets that they put on a little tripod.

Yeah I'm tempted, especially given how cheap they are. Part of me just really likes the look of the Tarantula. Comedy Option: Buy a spare set of legs and make them all quads.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

JoshTheStampede posted:

Dreadnought plastic missile launcher arms are out of stock on every single bitz site I am aware of. Anyone have one that they woudl accept my firstborn for?

that's because nobody buys the normal dreadnought anymore. sorry guy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Frobbe posted:

that's because nobody buys the normal dreadnought anymore. sorry guy.

Yeah, I know. I own like 7 dreads but all my normals are Black Reach ones. Like, apparently, everyone else.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Geoff Zahn posted:

I've been permanently stuck between purple marines, Doom marines, and Celestial Lions for my Primaris dudes.

There's one other option for a good son of Dorn... http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Astral_Knights

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I know. I own like 7 dreads but all my normals are Black Reach ones. Like, apparently, everyone else.

the only dread i have with a multimelta is an old metal one. the only plastic dread with a multimelta is the black reach one. the standard dreadnought kit really needs an update. they could also easily condense the 3 box dread kits into a single kit.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think I have a couple of these laying around, you mean just the regular-rear end one?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ANAmal.net posted:

I think I have a couple of these laying around, you mean just the regular-rear end one?

Yeah, the plastic missile launcher arm. It comes in the standard nonVen nonIron dread kit that no one buys because Black Reach dreads are so cheap and abundant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thinking about the following for a 1000 point Primaris force:

Space Marine Captain w/ Power Fist and Plasma Pistol

2x Lieutenants with Power Sword and Bolt Pistol

5x Intercessors w/ Bolt Rifles, Sergeant w/ Power Sword and Auxiliary Grenade Launcher

5x Intercessors w/ Bolt Rifles, Sergeant w/ Power Sword and Auxiliary Grenade Launcher

3x Tarantulas with Twin Assault Cannons

5x Hellblasters with Plasma Incinerators

Total is 1004 points. Mostly it's meant to just be a fun force to paint and try out, but with the added bonus of not sucking entirely. While they would be an Original Chapter Do Not Steal I would use the Ultramarines options and give the Captain the 3+ Halo Relic that also lets him Deny the Witch once per turn.

Thoughts?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Total is 1004 points. Mostly it's meant to just be a fun force to paint and try out, but with the added bonus of not sucking entirely. While they would be an Original Chapter Do Not Steal I would use the Ultramarines options and give the Captain the 3+ Halo Relic that also lets him Deny the Witch once per turn.

Thoughts?

You could split that up into 3 squads of 2 tarantulas and use the second Lt to lead an outrider detachment. Maybe give one tarantula a heavy bolter to get the points down.

Edit: Scratch that, give one a multimelta. That saves points too and will be more useful. At 1000 a multimelta or two and the hellblasters should be plenty for AT.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thoughts?

I'd swap the asscan turrets for lascannon ones, or else you're gonna have trouble with heavy armor.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

:10bux: to the first one of you fuckers who takes all of those skulls and assembles them into a throne.

Challenge accepted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

You could split that up into 3 squads of 2 tarantulas and use the second Lt to lead an outrider detachment. Maybe give one tarantula a heavy bolter to get the points down.

Edit: Scratch that, give one a multimelta. That saves points too and will be more useful. At 1000 a multimelta or two and the hellblasters should be plenty for AT.

I like the Outrider idea. More CP!

The problem with multimeltas is that tarantulas only get a 4+ to hit, and IIRC only the Lascannon variant will shoot at the nearest vehicle.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'd swap the asscan turrets for lascannon ones, or else you're gonna have trouble with heavy armor.

I was thinking of getting three more and doing that for 1500. At least by my preliminary math the Lascannon Tarantula is the third most points-efficient tank killer in the SM codex (behind a Devastator with a Grav Amp and Lascannon).

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
See, assault cannon and multimelta tarantulas have no targeting restrictions. While a lascannon shoots the closest non-infantry (Which means stuff like scarab swarms can jam them up because they don't have the infantry keyword), the multimelta shoots whatever you want it to.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, the plastic missile launcher arm. It comes in the standard nonVen nonIron dread kit that no one buys because Black Reach dreads are so cheap and abundant.

Lemme dig around the bitz box tonight, and I'll get back to you. I'll never use these things, so if I do have it I can send it your way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ANAmal.net posted:

Lemme dig around the bitz box tonight, and I'll get back to you. I'll never use these things, so if I do have it I can send it your way.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

After giving the Renegade Chaos Space Marine tactic a shot, and since I don't want to field Abaddon, holy poo poo being able to advance then charge is so much fun. Adding Warptime makes the entire army feel so fast. Funny how such a simple rule totally changes the feel of my list.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Warp time bikers are a blast plus with renegades utility they can threat from a solid 34" then charge. Add a icon of khorne for fun. Nailed a unit of scouts on the other end of the table pre codex doing this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After giving the Renegade Chaos Space Marine tactic a shot, and since I don't want to field Abaddon, holy poo poo being able to advance then charge is so much fun. Adding Warptime makes the entire army feel so fast. Funny how such a simple rule totally changes the feel of my list.

If my Blood Angels don't get to advance and charge I am going to be completely crushed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

See, assault cannon and multimelta tarantulas have no targeting restrictions. While a lascannon shoots the closest non-infantry (Which means stuff like scarab swarms can jam them up because they don't have the infantry keyword), the multimelta shoots whatever you want it to.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that the targeting restriction was limited to heavy bolters and lascannons. Wow that really does make assault cannons and multi-meltas more appealing. That said doing the math the multi-melta actually isn't all that amazing. Each shot from a Tarantula will, on average, strip away 5% of the wounds of a Land Raider per round of shooting. A TL Assault Cannon Tarantula will strip away 4% per round. If you take points into consideration things get a little further apart; the MM Tarantula is 44% points efficient (meaning every point of MM Tarantula will kill 0.44 points of Land Raider per round) while the AC Tarantula is 33%. Incidentally a Hellblaster firing hot with a RF Plasma Incinerator is one of the most points efficient tank-killers in the SM arsenal at 75%.

Meanwhile the AC Tarantula is the most efficient at killing Gaunts, Orks, Marines, and the third most efficient at killing Terminators.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Multimeltas aren't good for efficiency, no. But for raw point value it's easier to find 37 points than 60.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Multimeltas aren't good for efficiency, no. But for raw point value it's easier to find 37 points than 60.

True. That said I think if I want more anti-tank the Hellblaster is a better choice.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
How are you guys running your hellblasters? The guns are crazy powerful but they're an absolutely enormous target. I tried running a squad of five a few times and even in cover they got focused down absolutely without mercy before getting a chance to fire more than a few times. Do bigger squads help? Multiple squads? Is a repulsor necessary?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

How are you guys running your hellblasters? The guns are crazy powerful but they're an absolutely enormous target. I tried running a squad of five a few times and even in cover they got focused down absolutely without mercy before getting a chance to fire more than a few times. Do bigger squads help? Multiple squads? Is a repulsor necessary?

If 5 is good 20 is better.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pendent posted:

Run them with an Ancient in the back.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Run them with an Ancient in the back.

Getting a free round of shooting really is hilarious.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Especially since there is no reason not to supercharge with an already dead helblaster!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Anyone use any cool and fun apps for micromanaging stuff like who has what relic/trait/icon etc, command point/strategems/VP?

I use battlescribe for a quick reference, but I was just wondering if I was missing out on some lesser known but useful 40k apps or something. :ohdear:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Especially since there is no reason not to supercharge with an already dead helblaster!

Who doesn't supercharge all their shots? Do people not have faith in The Omnissiah?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Only losers don't overcharge every plasma shot. :colbert:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Just remember to roll your dice behind a building so your 1s can become 2s before your opponent notices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Alternate between picking up dice that pass or fail depending on what you want to hide. Get used to doing it quickly.