Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
From my observations on streams, no. Wiki specifies proximity when he's welding it, sounds like he doesn't even have to hit you with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Wizard cop stick in my serious realistic shooter

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah what the hell, a weapon malfunction aura?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Dude took the jinxed perk and 10 luck.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Arrath posted:

Yeah what the hell, a weapon malfunction aura?

if you try to run he'll pull his gun out and shoot you in the back, it owns

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
EFT evolving into a fatasy mil-sim RPG would be great.

A portal to Faerûn opens up in the middle of Customs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the maslenitsa event was pretty much exactly that, portals opening and mobs with high end gear were pouring out trying to kill you as you did a little ritual to close the portals and summon the magical boss

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tarkov was already magical, potions are just called stims there.

I always hoped that either the cult or Terragroup was on the verge of some kind of breakthrough that lead to a portal to somewhere else opening.up and suddenly there's a small possibility of running into THINGS in raids. A 5% chance of a pack of hellhounds on the loose in woods, little Prey-style mimics in Labs, some fuckoff 15 foot tall demon deciding Big Red belongs to it now. You're doing your usual quest/loot/hunt routine in a raid and you start hearing a low buzzing in your ears, or the color starts to drain out of everything, or the rain turns to blood, and you know there's something nasty on the map.

Maybe someday in a better game :unsmith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Tarkov was already magical, potions are just called stims there.

it's always kinda wild to me that people focus so much on the harcore realism or whatever other ridiculous words people apply to tarkov when if anything the game feels like it's neck deep in a bunch of arcadey game systems and the entire pvp meta is about abusing desync to get an advantage. the only time the game is slow and methodical is when you're brand new, don't know where you're going, have level 1 legs and haven't even conceived of running double injector case yet.

like with the right combination of stims you can sprint from one end of woods to the other with 55kg without stopping

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I always hoped that either the cult or Terragroup was on the verge of some kind of breakthrough that lead to a portal to somewhere else opening.up and suddenly there's a small possibility of running into THINGS in raids. A 5% chance of a pack of hellhounds on the loose in woods, little Prey-style mimics in Labs, some fuckoff 15 foot tall demon deciding Big Red belongs to it now. You're doing your usual quest/loot/hunt routine in a raid and you start hearing a low buzzing in your ears, or the color starts to drain out of everything, or the rain turns to blood, and you know there's something nasty on the map.

Maybe someday in a better game :unsmith:

several of the events now have been pretty drat close to this and while it probably is just inspiration from playing Hunt turning up in the game, a lot of it would be interesting and wouldn't even seem especially out of place. could even do something nifty where the rate of supernatural stuff turning up is higher in less populated raids so playing at night or late wipe or w/e has a higher chance of running into abnormal stuff. ofc they'd end up making endgame tasks to kill 50 2% spawnrate swamp creatures or w/e and it would be tarkov as normal

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 19, 2024

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I like to believe Tarkov is surrounded by a temporal bubble and it resets after a certain amount of time (between raids) and that's why your PMC can die and come back and loot is randomized and reloaded every time you go in. The traders and hideout are in a fringe area where it doesn't get reset.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Aexo posted:

I like to believe Tarkov is surrounded by a temporal bubble and it resets after a certain amount of time (between raids) and that's why your PMC can die and come back and loot is randomized and reloaded every time you go in. The traders and hideout are in a fringe area where it doesn't get reset.

Yeah my headcanon is that the Labs did something and time got all Fucky Wucky. Thus, I can be given a quest to kill Killa 50 times.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tarkov takes place in russian valhalla

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Herstory Begins Now posted:

tarkov takes place in russian valhalla

Depressing and bleak. Very Russian.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Aexo posted:

hell yeah. that movie was dope

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh, it’s Into The Radius? That makes sense, actually

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
drat, I hate Lighthouse so much. So. Much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jakosa posted:

drat, I hate Lighthouse so much. So. Much.

The worst spawns I've experienced on a map thus far (haven't run Streets or Reserve as PMC yet). A miracle my buddy and I got Revision Lighthouse done in three runs - second we got crushed by a juicer who rushed the chalet from the north spawn when we spawned south of it. The third one we got the water treatment vehicles done because luckily someone else had cleared out the rogues and on the way out to northern checkpoint a PMC tried to take us out with just over a minute left on the map.

We did a few Lighthouse runs a few weeks before that to get feel of it on PMC after learning the map scavving and got the awful beach spawns and kept getting pinched. One time we got the one overlooking path to shoreline extract which is unfair for any PMCs or pscavs in the village areas.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 22, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you're usec you can do revision by just sj6 sprinting straight into water treatment and planting as long as goons aren't in water treatment. you do have to give the rogues a decent amount of space, but it's pretty easy to do at night

if you're bear (or have a bear in your group, or have harmed a rogue within the last 3 raids) lol get hosed

Aexo
May 16, 2007
So do rogues see Bears at night easily?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah, from literally like 10x farther than usecs

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Aexo posted:

So do rogues see Bears at night easily?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah, from literally like 10x farther than usecs
Well, poo poo. That almost makes me want to reset my PVE profile and start as USEC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're coming from the front via the main bridge you have to use a long range sniper from well before the bridge. On a scav run I was hanging back from a PMC I spotted at the boat houses and he got obliterated when he left and just turned the corner at the beach.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

giZm posted:

Well, poo poo. That almost makes me want to reset my PVE profile and start as USEC.

I rolled Bear for PvE as well, that's why I asked so I almost feel this. But this event is giving juiced exp and I won't be around much before it ends so i think I'll finish the quest line out and stick it out for now. Guess I'll have to get some Lighthouse practice in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
honestly it's extremely worth it to learn how to deal with the rogues and it's way easier in pve when you don't have to worry about pmcs or pscavs in rogue kits

i say this having barely bothered with the rogue camp quests myself tbf

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah BEAR disadvantage on lighthouse is a bit overblown and you absolutely want to learn how to properly deal with them - you loose the ability to (riskily) scam a couple missions but if you’re doing serious questing/looting in the area as USEC you’re going to quickly get on the rogue shitlist and be in the same position as BEARs

if you don’t want to deal with getting owned by rogue aimbots you can also cheese a lot of the water plant missions in regular Tarkov as BEAR pretty easily by going at night with NVGs and just waiting in a bush for 15-20m until the map has calmed down and the usual crop of rogue farmers has cleared poo poo out for you - there’s a point where the biggest danger is likely to be pscavs and NVGs/ears give you a *massive* advantage over them

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

back on live, i can't stay away and this is why

i just did some top tier scav ratting on shoreline, snuck up on a couple pmcs looting their duo kill post-fight and popped both of their heads with my vepr-hunter. they were both filled to the brim with goodies, i had to limp my way out leaving so much poo poo behind. the haul i managed to carry out:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God drat that's a nice haul

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hooplah posted:

back on live, i can't stay away and this is why

i just did some top tier scav ratting on shoreline, snuck up on a couple pmcs looting their duo kill post-fight and popped both of their heads with my vepr-hunter. they were both filled to the brim with goodies, i had to limp my way out leaving so much poo poo behind. the haul i managed to carry out:

lol if I died to a scav that caked up I would uninstall.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Remember that the event quest line goes away tomorrow, the 26th. It's pretty easy and gives a ton of XP and a trophy that doesn't go away with wipes.

It's a 13 task quest line. There are a couple of missions on Lighthouse at one of the chalets. And one on Woods where you need to place 3 2x2 items. The items can be replaced, but it's annoying if you lose them. Other than that, it's pretty easy with tasks on Customs, Shoreline and one on Ground Zero.

It might be a little late if you're starting from scratch. If you do, you probably need to buy some quest items (encrypted flash drives) on the flea market. But they seem to be readily available now, where most people have done it.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I have 6 full money cases. Why can't I stop looting everything and looking for bargains on the flea?

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I have 6 full money cases. Why can't I stop looting everything and looking for bargains on the flea?

My stash is worth 210 million and 69 of that is cash. I have so much crap saved up that sometimes I just want to delete it all and start over.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Im broke, I spend every match killing 15 scavs and every other match getting shot in the loving face, I am a bad looter and if I survive all I have to show for it is a bag of trash

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I think my 'issue' is that when I die, I don't use any of the gear in my stash. I slap on a rig and a pistol and go to customs and kill scavs to gear up. And tbh., those raids are probably my favorite. They're very stress free, because if I die, that's pretty much to be expected. And if I don't, that's a win.

But that means that I only use very little of the gear I collect. And it just piles up.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Go out of your way to use it, even if it makes you uncomfortable at first. Nothing worse than ending a wipe with like 50m of sick guns and armor in your stash. If you play a mix of groups and solo I think it makes sense to sit on a bit of good kit for party play since insurance fraud is so strong, but aside from that just send it. If it’s “good gear” but you don’t like using it, just sell it and buy stuff you do like.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah don't be like first wipe me and gear fear yourself out of using neat poo poo.

One time I was creeping around the Reserve barracks and worked my way towards a source of earlier gunfire, finding a completely unlooted PMC in a stairwell, including such treasures as GPNVGs and a fancy pants M1A with thermal scope!

Gear that I let rot in my stash while test driving it on offline mode raids a couple times lol

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've been using 500K-1M gear sets for about 2 months now.

I think BTC and (to a lesser extent) the FiR change has just blown the economy up this wipe.

800K-900K every day with just a level 2 BTC farm, plus now i can flip stacks of ammo from lvl 4 traders on the flea at 100%-300% mark-up.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
This is my first wipe and I definitely have some gear fear. Combined with the hoarder gene that always sees me with a million unused potions in RPGs because "I might need them later".

I've been using 500K-1M gear sets for about 2 months now.

What's your favorite loadout and what map(s) do you use it on?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Jakosa posted:

This is my first wipe and I definitely have some gear fear. Combined with the hoarder gene that always sees me with a million unused potions in RPGs because "I might need them later".

What's your favorite loadout and what map(s) do you use it on?

I use either Thors or Osprey (P)'s depending on whether i care about weight. GACs seem to be the best lvl5 plate and you can craft armour with them in the shitter then selll the armour.

Then either bastion w/ armour plate with NVGs or an airframe w/ chops & faceshields.

The gun is usually decided by either a quest that i am on or whatever good ammo i have. Otherwise I tend to use P90s, MP5s, M700s, SA-58s or MDRs.

Mainly stuff i have laying around, but the consistent parts are the GACs and a high ergo gun with a good scope and suppresor.

I do occasionally run budget kits and I definately play differently with them, so I don't think "gear fear" every goes away fully. The more you play the more you will see what is worht the investment and what isn't. If you were garunteed to die every raid then there isn't much point in running a meta kit, but better gear will save you some of the time (lvl 5 plates especially).

If you want to get used to the fear then you could load into every raid with a bitcoin in your inventory as some kind of cognitive behavioural therapy.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 26, 2024

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

If you want to get used to the fear then you could load into every raid with a bitcoin in your inventory as some kind of cognitive behavioural therapy.

Lol, this would definitely have the opposite effect on me

What I like to do is sometimes bring the nicest kit I can put together in with me with every intention to not make it out of a fight. Thinking the kit is already gone goes a long way to reducing that tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Readying up right away and skipping the lobby screen also helps.

giZm fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 26, 2024