Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Hurricane Fatrina

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sneakster posted:

She was a poo poo candidate, the DLC is a malevolent influence on the democratic party that's fully embraced Reaganomics, and the previous Clinton administration's accomplishments were virtually all far right thing policies, Bernouts still held their nose and voted for the poo poo candidate, and Trump lying his rear end off for whatever every audience wanted to hear because the Democrats had nothing to offer in an election between the two most unpopular candidates in history doesn't make Hillary's humiliating failure anything but her own fault for helping make the Democratic party what it is today: a waste, with it's own thread.

I agree. Were it not for $2.50 horse armor Hillary could have won.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Well, we saw how much it hurt him to be asked to cite his favorite Bible verse and he just shat out "eye for an eye" and then started babbling about foreign policy.

Trump is an impressive revelation that all the things people thought were important to American pride (religious and family values, hard work, patriotism, kindness) are toilet paper if certain real issues (racism, employment, fear) are pandered to.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You know, there's nothing that Foxconn even does that requires a 10 billion dollar fabrication facility. I don't even think...and I'm shooting from the hip here...that even a company like Intel could spend 10 billion dollars on a fab.

Obviously the number is inflated, but it could go beyond just fab plants. Besides making tv screens, they might be putting a research facility in Madison for instance.

Also for the fab plant they want 1000 acres yikes.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

I'm not sure if I'd cite the existence of that terrible thread as a point in favor of basically any argument to be honest
More of a containment policy.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Literally 90% of the people I tell this lie to look completely overjoyed and start stammering about how they are buying some smoked paprika on the way home. People are so desperate to lose weight effortlessly they will believe almost anything.
Just tell them to lift weights and do plenty of meth.

Data Graham posted:

Well, we saw how much it hurt him to be asked to cite his favorite Bible verse and he just shat out "eye for an eye" and then started babbling about foreign policy.
Lucky for him none of the people who would care have read it either.

hanales posted:

I agree. Were it not for $2.50 horse armor Hillary could have won.
It's totally true, they don't care about the base or quality and they just nickle and dime you for poo poo that doesn't matter. Though ironically Trump is the one to take after Bethesda and paraded a lovingly rendered horse rear end in a top hat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RuanGacho posted:

So for the sake of civilization, how do we destroy twitter?

It seems to be doing a pretty good job of destroying itself by being incredibly expensive, but unable to monetize itself.

Eventually, all the people investing in it (the majority of public shares are held by about 20 people) are going to get tired of not getting paid dividends and not seeing any growth.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dejawesp posted:

So lets talk about the scout thing.

I figured one of two things happened.

1: Someone prank called the white house. Not someone with a direct number to Trump but probably someone with a mid level number that managed to reach a clerk who asked the next person in the chain if the call should be put through. Once Trump found out he waived it through so he could bask in praises.

2: Trump made the whole thing up. Fully certain that the scouts would be too worried of angering the president to actually call him on it. Expecting them to just run with it.

It's 2, but not because he thought they'd be too worried. He's incapable of telling the difference between something he wants to have happened and something that actually happened, and he wants to have been praised so it happened.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sneakster posted:

She was a poo poo candidate, the DLC is a malevolent influence on the democratic party that's fully embraced Reaganomics, and the previous Clinton administration's accomplishments were virtually all far right thing policies, Bernouts still held their nose and voted for the poo poo candidate, and Trump lying his rear end off for whatever every audience wanted to hear because the Democrats had nothing to offer in an election between the two most unpopular candidates in history doesn't make Hillary's humiliating failure anything but her own fault for helping make the Democratic party what it is today: a waste, with it's own thread.

My dude if the dems embraced reaganomics they would be pushing for tax cuts on the wealthy

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Sneakster posted:

Just tell them to lift weights and do plenty of meth.

An actual quote from my grandfather:

"We wouldn't need all this diet bullshit if the son-of-a-bitches hadn't made speed illegal!"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

JonathonSpectre posted:

An actual quote from my grandfather:

"We wouldn't need all this diet bullshit if the son-of-a-bitches hadn't made speed illegal!"

America's Army Air Corps Runs on Meth! :911:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mustached Demon posted:

Where's Dis Vox to put y'all in your dietary place?

I'm on vacation, not dealing with it this time. Y'all're dumb.

Edit oh god you morons go away I hate you how did it geteven worse after that post

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 4, 2017

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
This Trump real estate deal looks awfully like criminal tax fraud - The Washington Post

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

JonathonSpectre posted:

"Well, it sounds crazy, but every morning I just put 1/4 tablespoon of smoked paprika in my morning coffee and then just eat normally throughout the day. I don't know why it works, but it does!"

During college someone mentioned putting a dash of cinnamon in their coffee grounds before brewing. I did that a couple times and enjoyed it. One day though, I accidentally grabbed the cumin instead. That day was a bad day. Suffice to say, you are a monster.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sloober posted:

My dude if the dems embraced reaganomics they would be pushing for tax cuts on the wealthy
Their response to utter failure is a platform of tax credits to employers for hiring people and paraphrasing Trump:
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/892775305718497282
Currency manipulation and opening up to support anti-abortion candidates. They're competing for Trump's ratings in the TV sense since he "talks a good game".

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Honestly surprised he has yet to flip out about that Newsweek cover.

I imagine newsweek is basically a flyer nowadays

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

fishing with the fam posted:

During college someone mentioned putting a dash of cinnamon in their coffee grounds before brewing. I did that a couple times and enjoyed it. One day though, I accidentally grabbed the cumin instead. That day was a bad day. Suffice to say, you are a monster.

I've told everyone it was a lie after letting them luxuriate in the thought of effortless weight loss for a bit. Then it usually goes like this.

"I'm just kidding."
"Well then how did you really do it?"
"I stopped eating."
"Oh."

I do wonder if I hadn't confessed how many of them would still be slurping down paprika coffee and waiting for the miracle.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
they have no intention of punishing outsourcing or taxing companies that ship jobs overseas, it's just a straight up loving lie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I've told everyone it was a lie after letting them luxuriate in the thought of effortless weight loss for a bit. Then it usually goes like this.

"I'm just kidding."
"Well then how did you really do it?"
"I stopped eating."
"Oh."

I do wonder if I hadn't confessed how many of them would still be slurping down paprika coffee and waiting for the miracle.

Actually, this is kind of how I've lost weight too. Eating mostly protein and fat is part of it, but the key to weight loss is to simply eat less and power through the feelings of starvation. Humans were meant to starve. You get used to eating small amounts over time.

Ritalin helps, of course.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

On the 2000 calorie thing, of course that's just a rough estimate. Getting your real caloric rate is not difficult at all though. Simply with your height, weight, age, sex, and body fat % you can calculate it.

And as for food labels not being accurate, they're close enough. You're talking about cutting 500 calories a day under your rate, inaccurate measurement might put you over sometimes but on average if you are trying to be 500 calories under a number, you will be.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i preferred it when we were talking about whether montana has mountains

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

If those mountains will just stop eating they'll go back to molehills.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Best way to lose weight: move to Montana and climb mountains.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I lost like 9lbs in like 2 weeks simply by cutting out like 500-600 calories a day and drinking water instead of coffee/tea/juice. I was being super agressive with what i was eating though.

Getting past the mid meal hunger stuff is a bit difficult because i didnt want to snack, but ive relaxed on that slightly and im still dropping weight still, but alot slower.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

enraged_camel posted:

That John Denver was full of poo poo, man.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, this is kind of how I've lost weight too. Eating mostly protein and fat is part of it, but the key to weight loss is to simply eat less and power through the feelings of starvation. Humans were meant to starve. You get used to eating small amounts over time.

Ritalin helps, of course.
Candy is an essential part of the human diet. OCD and diabetes are normal according to thermodynamics.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

On the 2000 calorie thing, of course that's just a rough estimate. Getting your real caloric rate is not difficult at all though. Simply with your height, weight, age, sex, and body fat % you can calculate it.

And as for food labels not being accurate, they're close enough. You're talking about cutting 500 calories a day under your rate, inaccurate measurement might put you over sometimes but on average if you are trying to be 500 calories under a number, you will be.
[*ignoring that biology runs off hormones and enzymes rather than mass action intensifies*]

Liu posted:

they have no intention of punishing outsourcing or taxing companies that ship jobs overseas, it's just a straight up loving lie.
They know that. We know that. And considering Pelosi told Chris Wallace they have no intention of winning 2018 since this for the donors: they know that we know, and they don't care.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hand Row posted:

Obviously the number is inflated, but it could go beyond just fab plants. Besides making tv screens, they might be putting a research facility in Madison for instance.

Also for the fab plant they want 1000 acres yikes.

Site I'm at a couple miles long and maybe a mile wide. That's like 1000 acres if Google's converter isn't lying. It's more than just fab space. For one, semiconductor manufacturing requires millions of gallons of ultra pure water. Like electrically unconductive pure water purified on site.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Liu posted:

?

quote:

Break Down Barriers to Manufacturing in the US

Support businesses during the scale-up phase so that it makes financial sense to make their products here in the U.S.
Continue to support manufacturing networks and regional programs that increase U.S. competitiveness.
Increase exposure to manufacturing & manufacturing concepts at all levels of education to build the next generation of manufacturers.
Eliminate tax incentives - including repatriation tax breaks and "small business exemptions" - from companies that move their manufacturing overseas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The easiest way to lose weight is to run 1300 miles while not eating for a month. Anything else breaks thermodynamics.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The easiest way to lose weight is to run 1300 miles while not eating for a month. Anything else breaks thermodynamics.

Personally i just go at my gut w/ a butcher knife

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, the easiest way to lose weight is to fly on a parabolic arc at high speeds around the Earth. You will achieve weightlessness for several minutes at a time.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Sneakster posted:

Their response to utter failure is a platform of tax credits to employers for hiring people and paraphrasing Trump:
Currency manipulation and opening up to support anti-abortion candidates. They're competing for Trump's ratings in the TV sense since he "talks a good game".

lmao they are literally just stealing Trump's platform

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

and more

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Covok posted:

The problem is knowing your TDEE and knowing if you're eating 3000/day. It's not as simple as people think it is and there are vastly more factors than people realize to determine that. Two virtually identical people could require completely different diets. And the food you are served likely does not have as accurate measurements as you would hope. And, frankly, I've only been talking about ready-to-order foods. Anything prepared for you in that instance is likely to have vastly, vastly different figures than your assumptions. You're simply better off controlling your portion sizes, trying to eat healthier foods, and engaging in consistent exercise.

Anyway, has there been any word on Lindsay Graham's legislation to change the requirements for firing the special counsel? I really want that to pass with a veto proof majority.

You can calculate your TDEE within a very slim margin of error simply by weighing yourself every day for a few weeks and counting how many calories you consume while eating at some sort of a deficit. At that point it doesn't matter how accurate the calorie counts are, as you're still burning fat at rate of 3500 kcal/lb. The calculation of a TDEE based on height/weight/age/activity level is reasonably accurate within 100 cal/day, and the same goes for food within a smaller margin. If you're eating at a deficit of at least 500 kcal/day the swings won't matter, you'll still be losing weight.

The reason why calorie counting is hard is because it takes a significant amount of discipline and consistency that people usually aren't willing to put in. This is also the reason why the majority of people end up gaining weight back on literally every type of diet. Straight calorie counting, however, has by far the highest long-term success rate.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So, has he started tweeting about the jobs report yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the same platform they've always had. Complaining about currency manipulation was stolen by Trump.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
That's their public facing taking points on jobs? Ugh....

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

My grandma listened to s lot of John Denver. I also had to sing Country Roads in choir, so I guess I kinda like that song. :3:

Man, we need to hurry those Friday news dumps along.. I don't think this thread can sustain itself much longer on calorie chat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xombie posted:

You can calculate your TDEE within a very slim margin of error simply by weighing yourself every day for a few weeks and counting how many calories you consume while eating at some sort of a deficit. At that point it doesn't matter how accurate the calorie counts are, as you're still burning fat at rate of 3500 kcal/lb. The calculation of a TDEE based on height/weight/age/activity level is reasonably accurate within 100 cal/day, and the same goes for food within a smaller margin. If you're eating at a deficit of at least 500 kcal/day the swings won't matter, you'll still be losing weight.

The reason why calorie counting is hard is because it takes a significant amount of discipline and consistency that people usually aren't willing to put in. This is also the reason why the majority of people end up gaining weight back on literally every type of diet. Straight calorie counting, however, has by far the highest long-term success rate.

Straight calorie counting can also quite easily be gamified, you can make it addictive.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sneakster posted:

Be assured that they will follow through with virtually none of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Queering Wheel posted:

lmao they are literally just stealing Trump's platform
If this is seriously what they are going to campaign on during the midterms we are hosed

• Locked thread