Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The real format is eternal brawl. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Corbeau posted:

if it had legs i'd be all over that honestly

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Corbeau posted:

Pauper literally exists dude.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
it’s actually cube

also, instead of playing no-stakes poker as an excuse to drink and bullshit with friends, try cube, or anything

also also, you’ll never id in cube. really win-win, or draw-draw, for everyone here maybe

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The real format is Judge's Tower

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dragon enthusiast posted:

mtg but instead of 20 life they cut off a finger or toe

Man the new Un-set really got gnarly

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

eh, they’re just trying to rework the half digit mechanic from unhinged

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's that one spell where your hand becomes a token taken to the next level!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In a poker tournament, every situation analogous to IDing a game in Magic is banned as collusion

This isn’t actually relevant to the ethics of intentionally drawing or playing it out, but since people brought up poker I thought it was interesting

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
if you're not wagering your legs you're not really playing card games

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The only real poker is that which is played as a prelude to russian roulette

the room MUST be saturated in the blue-gray haze of cigar smoke, cuban preferred, and there MUST be at least two (2) members of a mafia, triad, or equivalent criminal organization present

real magic is the same way, except the air is filled with vape drippings and everything smells like BO and/or urine

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Framboise posted:

and tbh it doesn't feel like many people in this thread actually enjoy magic as much as they love bitching about things they don't like in magic

There's a platonic ideal of magic that exists solely in my head that I enjoy playing

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

kalvanoo posted:

There's a platonic ideal of magic that exists solely in my head that I enjoy playing

I enjoy the memory of playing magic when I was little and am stubbornly holding out for the brief glimpses of wonder I had siting at an FNM, accidentally drawing 8 cards, and then crying when my opponent forced me to reshuffle my deck because my hand was pretty good.

I'm not sure why that's my most enduring Magic memory, I swear I enjoyed playing the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ada posted:

I swear I enjoyed playing the game.

That's what we all tell ourselves.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I told one of my poker-playing colleagues about Magic Arena, then he played that a couple of weeks and now he's going to FNM drafts.

I'm kind of proud, and considering getting back into physical as well & come along.

Game's good.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DangerDongs posted:

EDH is fun, because it is multiplayer legacy where you can play your ponder and brainstorm along side of things that cost more than 3 mana.
I wish the vintage fast mana would be banned though.

EDH is the only format I even have paper decks for anymore. With the closure of my preferred LGS a few years back, I tapped out of any non-eternal format and only recently got back in on Arena

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

EDH is the only format I even have paper decks for anymore. With the closure of my preferred LGS a few years back, I tapped out of any non-eternal format and only recently got back in on Arena

5 EDH decks and 7 pauper decks here. Nothing else. No desire to build decks outside of those formats.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

admanb posted:

You seem cool.

Yeah, I suppose that was a bit harsh. I apologise :sweatdrop:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aranan posted:

5 EDH decks and 7 pauper decks here. Nothing else. No desire to build decks outside of those formats.

only 900 cards worth of decks? pathetic

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Jabor posted:

The real format is Judge's Tower

I got a friend who doesn’t like the competitive aspects of magic so we mainly play his tower when there’s nothing to do for 30 min on board game night. He also plays edh and has a caterpillar stasis lock muldrotha deck.

There are, yes, people who enjoy magic but not tournament magic.

Also tower teaches you really quickly how the graft mechanic works. Nobody doesn’t gently caress up cytoplast root kin the first time

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Little do you know, one of those pauper decks is a 1000 card persistent petitioners deck

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Little do you know, one of those pauper decks is a 1000 card persistent petitioners deck

Look, I lost the mirror match once. Never again.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So interesting thing I just found out while looking at Gatherer. You aren't allowed to re-order your graveyard:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2116

I think that makes playing dredge a bit more mentally taxing, since I know some people organize their graveyard b/c it lets you look at your recurring cards. I've played against it a decent amount that way before and never said a thing because I thought it didn't matter. Specifically, I'm thinking about this not as a dirty trick to pull out on dredge players, but because I've gotten the value portions of the dredge deck and plan on trying it out in the next week or so. I want to try to play the deck cleanly even if it is being played poorly, and it now appears that really having a good eye for what's in your graveyard is part of learning to play the deck cleanly.

It also in no way has to do with me wishlisting that nether shadow show up in MH, hopefully without containment priest.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

kalvanoo posted:

Some combination of 2 tempo and/or control decks is the only real Magic. Which is why I don't ever play the game anymore.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have always seen that rule brought up just for the formats where you can encounter cards that care. Nether Shadow, Deathspark, Krovikan Horror... I'm sure there are others, but those are the only three that come to mind. So graveyard order doesn't really matter in modern/standard but can matter in legacy/edh/alliance draft (that sounds terrible btw).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rkajdi posted:

So interesting thing I just found out while looking at Gatherer. You aren't allowed to re-order your graveyard:

I think that makes playing dredge a bit more mentally taxing, since I know some people organize their graveyard b/c it lets you look at your recurring cards. I've played against it a decent amount that way before and never said a thing because I thought it didn't matter. Specifically, I'm thinking about this not as a dirty trick to pull out on dredge players, but because I've gotten the value portions of the dredge deck and plan on trying it out in the next week or so. I want to try to play the deck cleanly even if it is being played poorly, and it now appears that really having a good eye for what's in your graveyard is part of learning to play the deck cleanly.

It also in no way has to do with me wishlisting that nether shadow show up in MH, hopefully without containment priest.

You aren’t allowed to reorder it only in formats with cards that care about graveyard order afaik.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rkajdi posted:

A few older cards like Death Spark cared about the order in which things were arranged in yuur graveyard. I don't think any Modern-legal card cares about graveyard order though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

rabidsquid posted:

Excuse me, all my pauper decks have full sideboards and a few of my edh decks have some card swaps to tweak their power level to similar to whatever playgroup I wind up with. So at least 1045 cards. :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

deathspark is part of why pauper goblins is so fun to play. well that and goblin sledder

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

rkajdi posted:

So interesting thing I just found out while looking at Gatherer. You aren't allowed to re-order your graveyard

As of 2009, this rule only applies to Legacy and Vintage (and technically EDH) because they're the only formats where Nether Shadow/Death Spark/Volrath's Shapeshifter and the like are legal. There's a 0% chance that they introduce graveyard-orders-matters cards into Modern.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i'm going to angle shoot by constantly shuffling my graveyard in standard to upset and distract my opponent

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

You aren’t allowed to reorder it only in formats with cards that care about graveyard order afaik.

I thought that a Gatherer ruling mattered period, not just when the card was in format. It's the only reason I even brought it up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

I thought that a Gatherer ruling mattered period, not just when the card was in format. It's the only reason I even brought it up.

yeah but that's a gatherer ruling for nether shadow. modern and standard do not have that rule precisely because nether shadow, and every card like it, are not in the format. a while back they realized making your graveyard order matter was a pain in the rear end and so they stopped making those cards specifically so people could avoid needing to care about it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
A quick search turned up this from the Tournament Rules:

quote:

3.14 Graveyard Order In formats involving only cards from Urza’s Saga™ and later, players may change the order of their graveyard at any time. A player may not change the order of an opponent’s graveyard

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aranan posted:

A quick search turned up this from the Tournament Rules:

drat, now I feel dumb. I legit never touched the game rules document because it's so daunting and I'm not even pretending to be a judge.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If anyone wonders why they no longer make graveyard order matters cards, imagine these two cases:

1) You have a Grizzly Bears out and cast Wrath of God. Does the Grizzly Bears end up over the Wrath in your graveyard? No
2) You have a Grizzly Bears out and cast Pyroclasm. Does the Bears end up over the Clasm in your graveyard? Yes

we're not even talking complicated cards there

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

If anyone wonders why they no longer make graveyard order matters cards, imagine these two cases:

1) You have a Grizzly Bears out and cast Wrath of God. Does the Grizzly Bears end up over the Wrath in your graveyard? No
2) You have a Grizzly Bears out and cast Pyroclasm. Does the Bears end up over the Clasm in your graveyard? Yes

I always make sure people put their 2 cards under their Thought Scout in modern even though it doesn't matter for multiple different reasons.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If I couldn't reorder my yard I'd likely not play dredge any longer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elyv posted:

also: if your grizzly bears has a holy strength on it in either circumstance, do you have a choice about which goes into the graveyard first or no? no, the bears go first and then the aura, same state-based action thing as the pyroclasm where the aura sticks around and then dies because its unattached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

If I couldn't reorder my yard I'd likely not play dredge any longer.

That's kind of where I was too. I sort of wanted to confirm before I put money into the expensive cards. I'm still worried that horizon frontier is going to wreck graveyard or other unfair decks, but having to ninja memorize what is coming down in my graveyard would make it kind of impossible to play.