Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It got better, but not by much. The two issues where the Protectobots go back to the Lost Light, which fills in most of the details for Getaway's coup, were a highlight if a bit deus ex machina to steal a phrase

Gotcha haha. I remember dropping it cuz of a combo of TAAO ending, which was my fave at the time, and not wanting to go back to the Functionalist universe after the 2016 election. I wanted escapism lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bravely I liked the lost light.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It was fine.

Once you read the first half, you kind of have experienced everything. In the end, resolutions becoming underwhelming, and it becomes increasingly a soap opera.

Alot of its success was because it was so different from what came before. It was new, unique, and a different take on things rather than the old status quo. People loved that. So did I, it was intriguing.

But as time went on, you can tell plans changed, some of which can be attributed to the people running the show. Unfortunately, you can tell that all the praise did affect the writer some and he made changes as well to satisfy those who wanted things to go in a certain way.

He really was great at setting things up, finishing them not so much.

I know it's not a popular opinion on TF forums/threads to have this view point but in the end there's a reason why sales dropped like a stone and a reboot happened.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Last Call posted:

I know it's not a popular opinion on TF forums/threads to have this view point but in the end there's a reason why sales dropped like a stone and a reboot happened.

This was largely because promotion and availability tanked as IDW fumbled the ball on the universe post Revolution. The relaunch/title changes of all the ongoings was a massive, massive mistake. Lost Light is great. It doesn't hit the heights of MTMTE at its best, but it's still head and shoulders above most of its contemporaries and is absolute gold by TF fiction standards. I can see why people reading it month-to-month found it too slow but read in TPB chunks I really enjoyed it, Anode included. MTMTE/LL remains the best TF narrative of all time, and I find it very, very hard to believe it will ever be topped.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Unicron topped it the same year by way of actually being about something

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think I have the tpbs somewhere from a humble bundle a while back so many I'll give it a shot. Month to month it was def not fun at the time though. Also like I said, my fave was Til All are One at the time and was bummed it ended so quick :nyoron:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Found a Velocitron Scourge that someone tried to ditch in a different aisle. Going to open him after work and see how he looks next to his little brother Nemesis Prime.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Unicron topped it the same year by way of actually being about something

If you think Lost Light wasn't about anything I don't know what to tell you. Bizarre take.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

If you think Lost Light wasn't about anything I don't know what to tell you. Bizarre take.
Remember who you are arguing with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lost Light is about some really bizarre hypotheticals like "how many millions of years of repentance would it take you to forgive Twelve Billion Hitlers" and "anyone who has issue with 12BHitler's character arc is exactly the same as Getaway, who is also every Tory politician and also Trump".

There's good material in there but it desperately needed an editor it didn't have - because Barber was too busy kicking rear end over on RID/OP/Unicron and creating genuinely excellent moments like Soundwave's face turn, the Onyx Prime reveal, and Antilla Unicron, all of which revolved around core big sci Fi questions about faith, imperial power, connection and isolation.

EDIT: Roberts also had a serious ableism problem throughout the book. Riptide is ridiculed for low intelligence, Grimlock becomes basically a dog after his brain damage, and all the constructed cold/forged stuff collapses when it turns out forged robots actually *are* just better at surgery or whatever.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 20, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: Roberts also had a serious ableism problem throughout the book. Riptide is ridiculed for low intelligence, Grimlock becomes basically a dog after his brain damage, and all the constructed cold/forged stuff collapses when it turns out forged robots actually *are* just better at surgery or whatever.
I have to give you that point, you can definitely read it that way and it doesn't look super good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can do a story about apartheid or a story about disability or even story about hypothetical space gigahitler redemption and what justice looks like for nigh-immortal beings but if you're gonna do all three you need an editor and you need to listen to criticism in a healthy way and not namesearch and get into fights on twitter dot com instead of equating your critics to Nigel Farage

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Wheelie is pretty good for 11 dollars. Glad I got him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got core Ratchet today and it’s a good toy. A little gappy in alt-mode but fine for a core class. Nothing essential, but I like the character and it’s a good version.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

new canon just dropped

https://twitter.com/wrxghxul/status/1560112495871787008?s=20&t=LUsLOc5mLHe9iDzlr7VKJA

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Not sure if its always the same person, but they're great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AY1JW7W7nY

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Lost Light is about some really bizarre hypotheticals like "how many millions of years of repentance would it take you to forgive Twelve Billion Hitlers" and "anyone who has issue with 12BHitler's character arc is exactly the same as Getaway, who is also every Tory politician and also Trump".

There's good material in there but it desperately needed an editor it didn't have - because Barber was too busy kicking rear end over on RID/OP/Unicron and creating genuinely excellent moments like Soundwave's face turn, the Onyx Prime reveal, and Antilla Unicron, all of which revolved around core big sci Fi questions about faith, imperial power, connection and isolation.

I disagreed with you about Prime, but your opinions on MTMTE/LL are right on the money.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I watch dubs cause I enjoy cannabis and vegging out and this makes me feel v seen

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Got some new shelves! My collection can breathe a bit.

Close-up on Legacy Arcee to show off that she has two swords now! The second one is the Arms Micron Arcee someone gave me at TFN. I had to shave the peg down to make it fit, but fit it does.

I'm still rearranging the old shelves, but I'm pretty happy with this neat little diorama featuring the Core 'cons, Airwave and a couple Titan Masters.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fellow at Hasbro who worked on Pointblank posted some stuff about him on his instagram, including design notes from Shogo Hasui

I really like getting a look at the design process, and it's also fun to note that some people are still using "transform" as a verb

e: Iron Factory did end up sending me a new arm for my Powerglide. The new wrist was mega stiff, and after wasting a solid hour trying to drive the pin out with no luck, I found my files and sanded it down in place instead. Also found a new crack behind one of the knees, but that looks like it's stopped at the pin joint, so I'll live with it.

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 20, 2022

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

The fellow at Hasbro who worked on Pointblank posted some stuff about him on his instagram, including design notes from Shogo Hasui

I really like getting a look at the design process, and it's also fun to note that some people are still using "transform" as a verb

This is neat but it's kind of depressing half the notes are basically "make it worse so it'll be cheaper"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pointblank in particular seems like a total disaster

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They should release poo poo like that for every figure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

They should release poo poo like that for every figure.

Go to Mark Maher and Sam Smith post them on their Instagrams @markclonus and @king_samlock.

DoctorWhat posted:

Pointblank in particular seems like a total disaster

He is not that bad but I can tell all his crotch budget went to his Targetmaster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh, I should find out where my crotch budget went.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The full post explicitly said they had to do all that costcutting to afford the targetmaster.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Pointblank still looks good! He still has all a waist swivel, bicep swivels, ankle tilts, the whole enchilada. Like if I could go back in time and somehow persuade Mark to just give Pointblank regular guns, like Siege Spinister, I absolute would. But calling him a "disaster" is hyperbolic, unhelpful, and stinks of that dude who starts all the arguments in the comic store and never leaves and makes you ask, "drat, does that dude even like comics?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Triple-Kan posted:

Pointblank still looks good! He still has all a waist swivel, bicep swivels, ankle tilts, the whole enchilada. Like if I could go back in time and somehow persuade Mark to just give Pointblank regular guns, like Siege Spinister, I absolute would. But calling him a "disaster" is hyperbolic, unhelpful, and stinks of that dude who starts all the arguments in the comic store and never leaves and makes you ask, "drat, does that dude even like comics?"

He doesn't have bicep swivels, he has high wrist swivels. And like, he doesn't look good, which is the other issue.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

It's hard to decide whether he doesn't look good because of cost cutting or if he doesn't look good because...well, that's just Pointblank.

The non-movie Autobot Targetmasters are all kind of awful designs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shocked that the guy who exists to raise the price on a smaller guy isn't good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/transformers?cid=SC_FY2223_SB_28352982_534723050_63978391

Well this is really odd

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah they showed those off at TFN. They look pretty cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Today I found out that they rereleased Siege Soundwave in Legacy with slightly different colour plastic and no scratch-n-scuff, so I went to the shops and it was there, so I bought it, so now I have Soundwave, but more importantly, I have Soundwave's goofy fold-out gun that you're totally meant to give to Megatron. But I'm not giving it to Megatron.

Optimus has a proper Magnus Hammer now! Alright, mostly proper, but I might be able to find something to plug into the end to bulk it up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the Studio Series Arcee different from the one that came out a year or two ago?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I have to say, though I've never had it in hand

I actually quite like the original Masterpiece Optimus Prime. It has this kind of...guy in a suit aesthetic to the robot mode that I really dig.

In the near future I'll be able to better budget around dumb things, so I'm curious- are there any 3rd or 4th party versions of that one? There's some decent if a bit high for my taste prices on Ebay, but this is Transformers so I'm curious. Any kind of upgrades like the MPP10 or some such?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Is the Studio Series Arcee different from the one that came out a year or two ago?

They're different but it's pretty subtle for the most part. Earthrise on the left, Studio Series on the right.

Studio Series is definitely more toon accurate but whether that's a positive or a negative is going to be up to the individual.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
SS86 is a remold of Thrilling 30 Arcee with a new lower body/back end of the car, instead of Earthrise. And good on em, I always thought her transformation that incorporated her pistol as a structural element was a neat idea.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah they're completely separate molds, though they share some similarities due to their general Arceeness.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Do you love Transformers?
Do you love UK Stamps?

Then order up bucko's.

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/transformers

I ordered the Transformers Limited Edition Prestige Stamp Book, it's limited to 1984 copies.

It can go with my 3d Optimus Prime coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Phy posted:

SS86 is a remold of Thrilling 30 Arcee with a new lower body/back end of the car, instead of Earthrise. And good on em, I always thought her transformation that incorporated her pistol as a structural element was a neat idea.

Earthrise Arcee is also a pretty bad transformer. The robot mode is fine, the vehicle mode is made of kibbly mess and it's super easy to have her limbs poking out the bottom of the car and it just generally isn't fun. SS86 certainly looks better to me but I've not had chance to have a play with one.