Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what moving your entire family to Iowa? depends on where he is coming from

nebraska, oklahoma: probably fine

LA, suburban texas: you're hosed

He just moved across the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what moving your entire family to Iowa? depends on where he is coming from

nebraska, oklahoma: probably fine

LA, suburban texas: you're hosed

canada: serial killer

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

He just moved across the state.

oh, sounds like a cool guy then nvm

although... he STAYED in iowa

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Crazypoops posted:

oh, sounds like a cool guy then nvm

although... he STAYED in iowa

no good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Crazypoops posted:

canada: serial killer

nah they all move to london ontario

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol was talking to a carrier and they’re asking 25k for a 40’ from yantian to Chicago lmao

Chinese forwarders are trying to sell space back to USA importers . they go to the carriers to get space at a premium and sell it back

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lacrosse posted:

Is this decline actually delta or more that summer is over so kids are back in school and parents back in the office?

The latter, the people who are travelling don't believe in covid. Got "Is this freedom?!" shouted at me by an extremely sunburnt chud today after he wasn't allowed inside without a mask.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

Got "Is this freedom?!" shouted at me by an extremely sunburnt chud today after he wasn't allowed inside without a mask.

that's a loaded question sir

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lmao we did it :canada:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2021/08/new-toronto-condo-benchmark-price-surpassed-1-million/

quote:

New condominium apartments, meanwhile, posted a benchmark price of $1,091,648 in July, according to BILD, representing an increase of 9.8 per cent since July of 2020.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Does America even have any long term plans? Even on paper?

I'm seriously asking. We all know the real answer is funneling cash to their donors, but what is the PR? Is there even any?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

skooma512 posted:

I'm seriously asking. We all know the real answer is funneling cash to their donors, but what is the PR? Is there even any?

lmao

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Yes but you have to be able to decipher the code to read them. They're hidden in plain sight, pretending to be the lunatic ramblings and typos of a senile ex-president.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

skooma512 posted:

no. there's nobody in charge and no rational decisions will be made about anything.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Number. Goes. UP!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Number. Goes. UP!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Relevant Tangent posted:

The latter, the people who are travelling don't believe in covid. Got "Is this freedom?!" shouted at me by an extremely sunburnt chud today after he wasn't allowed inside without a mask.

democracy manifest

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

skooma512 posted:

it used to. well made plans, too, by people who were no less evil than the people at the top today, but far more competent. it's the foundation built by those plans that's keeping the whole edifice from collapsing completely. but the very smart people in charge these days are mostly interested in breaking loose chunks of concrete from the foundations to pile them up on the roof of the building, because it needs to always be taller

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1432833190050234369?s=19

Found out why Australia is opening it up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it used to. well made plans, too, by people who were no less evil than the people at the top today, but far more competent. it's the foundation built by those plans that's keeping the whole edifice from collapsing completely. but the very smart people in charge these days are mostly interested in breaking loose chunks of concrete from the foundations to pile them up on the roof of the building, because it needs to always be taller

this pretty much died out after the 80s i think. lbj and nixon and their backers founded what is effectively the current state of our voter base and planned on that sort of thing. roger ailes got us fox news. reagan's cabinet basically did a magic trick on the leadbrain boomers. clinton was probably the last vestige of competency, but didnt really have much in terms of long term planning. obama was kind of a huge fluke. but yeah i think since reagan theres been no real long term planning by the higher crust, just keep the money printer movin.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I didn’t. The Midwest isn’t insulated from extreme weather, and the last place I want to be is where a bunch of insane reactionary theocrats live. especially when they already have control of the water that every Midwesterner is obsessed with.

I’d rather live somewhere nice instead and just kill myself when it gets too unbearable.

I would pit the theocrats from my hometown against your theocrats any day, I grew up near mother loving John Hagee's Cornerstone Church as a young gay kid.

How do you feel about upstate NY? (WNY, CNY, etc)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

THE MOST EFFICIENT MEANS OF DISTRIBUTION

the statement that the free market is the most efficient means of distribution makes a whole lot more sense when you realize their definition of "efficiency" is just "how many resources can flow to those who hold power"

skooma512 posted:

long-term plans? what are you, some kinda commie?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Shipon posted:

the statement that the free market is the most efficient means of distribution makes a whole lot more sense when you realize their definition of "efficiency" is just "how many resources can flow to those who hold power"

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the less you plan ahead the more efficient you can be! Chaos is the ultimate organizer!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"we're incapable of thinking beyond the next quarter" buddy, it's worse than that

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

anime was right posted:

this pretty much died out after the 80s i think. lbj and nixon and their backers founded what is effectively the current state of our voter base and planned on that sort of thing. roger ailes got us fox news. reagan's cabinet basically did a magic trick on the leadbrain boomers. clinton was probably the last vestige of competency, but didnt really have much in terms of long term planning. obama was kind of a huge fluke. but yeah i think since reagan theres been no real long term planning by the higher crust, just keep the money printer movin.

in what way was obama a "fluke"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

feel free to explain

if you're in like, New Orleans, Miami, Phoenix, etc. you should not plan on living there much longer

you were painting far too broad a brush when the specific impacts of climate change are much more localized than that.

so yes, sure New Orleans, Miami, Phoenix, are all good examples of places that probably one should move away from, but that's different than the idea that "the entire southeast" and "the entire west" are worse enough that its worth moving to anywhere in "the entire midwest".

you have to look very specifically at the places you're discussing. Being in a community that's reliant on the Ogallala Aquifer is as big of a water supply concern as being in a community reliant on the Colorado River. Being in the footprint of the Peshtigo fire is just as much of a climate fire risk as being in the footprint of the Paradise fire.

also importantly absolutely no one has a clear picture of what the total real climate impacts will be, so one has to account for the chance that these are wrong and are missing additional impacts. So even with all this deep diving research, what if you're wrong about the spread of invasive species? What if the modeling you're using to predict changes in rainfall is wrong? etc. etc.

that's why being somewhere where you have or can develop community ties is vastly more important than trying to guess marginal future climate impacts. so yes, move away from the direct coastline, out of the forests, and out of the deserts but focus on where you have in-group status instead of marginal climate scores.

because while we might guess the invasive species timeline wrong, or deplete this aquifer over that aquifer we know that when things go bad its worse to be an outsider.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

in what way was obama a "fluke"

most of the incompetent ghouls wanted hillary until he proved himself a better, competent ghoul

there have been no other competent ghouls since bill.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

everyone checked out once history ended in 1993. it's been unparalleled prosperity since then.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

anime was right posted:

i think since reagan theres been no real long term planning by the higher crust, just keep the money printer movin.

it's not the money printer (that's just the latest attempt at trying to keep this wobbly tower upright), it's the switch from building and growing an actual industrial economy so there's a bigger pie, to just trying to grab an ever larger share of the existing pie instead. for a while the circumstances forced the hands of the people at the top even if actual growth was harder, because no amount of rent-seeking or money printing or financial fuckery of any kind would have kept soviet tanks off their lawns. labor militancy was also a factor, but even that can also be solved by just making sure the share of the pie the cops get is big enough

once the one existential threat they saw went away, and history ended and it became apparent that liberal democracy under pax americana would reign supreme forevermore, they immediately took the path of least resistance and neoliberalism switched gears to what we've seen over the past 30 years

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I feel like post 2016 we've switched firmly into the era of "the pie in shrinking faster and faster every year", and anyone whose job is in pie growth or pie maintenance knows this, knows there's nothing they can do about it, and so lies that pie is growing bigger and faster than ever whilst stealing whatever crumbs they can for themselves before it's all gone.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

the job I’m leaving is trying to automate about 3k jobs out of existence, and if they are successful, competitors will probably follow suit, effectively shrinking an entire sector of the workforce that is currently absolutely necessary. in this automation push, they are also trying to automate the software development side of things by integrating with a vendor who can make it easily configurable by any slackjawed analyst, eliminating the need for computer toucher support. this will greatly increase their profits and prestige in the industry, and if I stuck around, I might’ve gotten a pizza party out of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the efficiencies created by automation will lead to more jobs !

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

it's not the money printer (that's just the latest attempt at trying to keep this wobbly tower upright), it's the switch from building and growing an actual industrial economy so there's a bigger pie, to just trying to grab an ever larger share of the existing pie instead. for a while the circumstances forced the hands of the people at the top even if actual growth was harder, because no amount of rent-seeking or money printing or financial fuckery of any kind would have kept soviet tanks off their lawns. labor militancy was also a factor, but even that can also be solved by just making sure the share of the pie the cops get is big enough

once the one existential threat they saw went away, and history ended and it became apparent that liberal democracy under pax americana would reign supreme forevermore, they immediately took the path of least resistance and neoliberalism switched gears to what we've seen over the past 30 years

the fall of the soviet union will prove to have been one of the worst things to happen to humanity as capital's final victory over all dooms us all

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starting to feel like things are going to be a bit too unpredictable and unstable for automation to really do its thing in the future.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

In Training posted:

everyone checked out once history ended in 1993. it's been unparalleled prosperity since then.

it's so funny to think back to how history class was taught to me in the 90s. everything was presented as "these are the bad things that happened in the past. we didn't know they were bad at first, but now we know better so these things will never happen again."

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

The end goal of Capitalism seems to be converting everything to a subscription service

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it became apparent that liberal democracy under pax americana would reign supreme forevermore
woops

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

the fall of the soviet union will prove to have been one of the worst things to happen to humanity as capital's final victory over all dooms us all

dont worry once everyone in the west starves because they can't eat number Xi will extend his belt and road across the globe

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

The end goal of Capitalism seems to be converting everything to a subscription service

The Great Reset wasn't just a QAnon thing, people love brushing over the origins of that phrase

"You'll own nothing, and be happy"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lacrosse posted:

feudalism but the lords won't even bother even pretending that they'll go to fight for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

rentier economy we love it folks don’t we