Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Messaging on birdsite now appears to be "ya gotta hold until Tuesday!"

Christ who is still pouring money into this

Power hour is gonna be somethin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The funny thing is that RH being so blatant about preventing people from buying (words)

I posted this yesterday, but, a lotta folks should give it a look:

https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/status/1354936428816441353?s=20

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Actually on second thought, its sort of hovering and in the long term I do think AMC will go up when covid is under control. Ill probably just monitor it less.

Plus its going up again lol. The :derp: is real yall

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011

cr0y posted:

Messaging on birdsite now appears to be "ya gotta hold until Tuesday!"

Christ who is still pouring money into this

Power hour is gonna be somethin'

The WSB threads are nearing Qanon levels of fervor, at this point I genuinely hope it plays out the way they think it will because oy :( a lot of people with existing anxiety (financial or otherwise) saw this as the light at the end of the covid tunnel

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Sorry if I'm wrong but it seems like people in this thread are under the impression this isn't going to go the way the reddit people were expecting? Why is that?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Lemme try and explain this.

I sell a stock to you for $10. Becuase of the 2-day settlement rule, your broker has to have capital on hand for your $10 expenditure, and they cannot use your account balance as that capital. (It's not the full $10, the capital reserve requirement is expressed as a percentage of the sale and I don't recall what percent, it doesn't matter though.)
Then a few minutes later, you sell that same stock to Susan, for $11. Your broker is still on the hook for the full amount they were before, because 2 days haven't gone by, but now Susan's broker is on the hook for capital reserves to cover her expenditure.
Then a few minutes later, Susan sells that same stock back to me, for $9. My broker is now on the hook for cash to capitalize my expenditure, and so is Susan's, and so is yours.

The same stock has been traded around right back to the original owner, but the charts record all three sales as volume. The float has been the same 1 share of stock the whole time, not 3. Three brokerages have now accumulated a responsibility to hold some cash on hand, because of regulations, for 2 days, no matter what, and they can't use our balances for that.

Do this millions of times and a bunch of discount brokerages that don't have enough cash on hand are starting to run out of reserves. It's OK if their own clients sell shares, because that does not incur any additional reserve requirement for them, but they restrict their clients from putting more buys in (not even a sell-and-then-buy-minutes-later) because each time their clients do that, their situation gets worse.

Now, this gets more complex in that in some cases it's not the brokerage itself, but a third party company that settles trades for them, which is accumulating these reserve requirements. The brokerages have arrangements with these third party settlement companies that may impose additional restrictions or requirements on order flow/halting/etc.

Moreover, these same brokerages handle loads of other shares changing hands, some for far more money at far higher volume. But: they already had cash on hand sufficient to handle the normal volume of those trades, it's not "extraordinary volume" so their own bean counters have accounted for how much they need. It may be that they have $1B set aside just to account for people trading AAPL, and only need $10M more to account for today's volume of AMC... but that doesn't matter, because these companies are not in the habit of having loads of unused cash sitting around, they run lean operations that are very carefully calculated to keep them in the black, just barely, for their capital reserve requirements and all the rest of their money is doing actual work.

The government says to these companies, via regulations: yes, not only are you allowed to restrict trading on individual securities for your own reasons, you have to restrict trading if you run out of reserves, you may not just run into the red on capital reserves and continue to allow trading.

Now, who set these rules up? Why? do they really benefit retail traders? That's a complex issue, and I'd argue that taken as a whole, the full set of rules by which big financial corps run by, heavily advantage the rich and powerful over the retail small-potatoes investor. But today, right now, outfits like Robinhood etc. are not intentionally loving over their customers just because they feel like being nice to the TWO hedge funds that are in big trouble over their big short positions.

Do the largest volume days being Monday and Tuesday and therefore being settled on Wednesday and Thursday respectively not matter in this explanation?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Sorry if I'm wrong but it seems like people in this thread are under the impression this isn't going to go the way the reddit people were expecting? Why is that?

Because everyone on Wallstreet will ratfuck everyone else for a dollar.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

naughty joystick posted:

The WSB threads are nearing Qanon levels of fervor, at this point I genuinely hope it plays out the way they think it will because oy :( a lot of people with existing anxiety (financial or otherwise) saw this as the light at the end of the covid tunnel

It's going to end the way it always ends. A couple people are going to strike it big and the rest are going to be left holding the bag.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Enigma89 posted:

I gave up on Robinhood and moved over to TDAmeritrade and Fidelity. I can't do fractional shares on Ameritrade so it feels like I have to use Fidelity but holy poo poo is that UI rear end.

Schwab has fractional. TD will get it after the merger is finished or you can move there now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Because everyone screaming I JUST ADDED MORE! HOLD THE LINE! are trying to decide where the exit is.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rabble posted:

It's going to end the way it always ends. A couple people are going to strike it big and the rest are going to be left holding the bag.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Do the largest volume days being Monday and Tuesday and therefore being settled on Wednesday and Thursday respectively not matter in this explanation?

price went up a lot in the meantime, so you gotta look at aggregate price*volume to judge capital requirements

edit: also when volatility went up, counterparties raised margin requirements

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I see a lot of people pointing out that the DeepFucking dude or whatever his name is still has 50,000 shares. Is there any proof whatsoever that this is true aside from a screenshot of an account that could easily be photoshopped? Hell, not even photoshopped, it could be MSPainted.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

The end result of the squeeze succeeding is a major market crash. The institutions have clearly demonstrated since Wednesday that they are willing to change the rules as needed to prevent that from happening.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I see a lot of people pointing out that the DeepFucking dude or whatever his name is still has 50,000 shares. Is there any proof whatsoever that this is true aside from a screenshot of an account that could easily be photoshopped? Hell, not even photoshopped, it could be MSPainted.

Nah the dude cashed out like 13m if true. Whatever he has left is gravy. Doesn’t even matter if he loses it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Definitely does matter: but, it's a percentage of money changing hands, so as price rises, volume falls proportionally, for same-dollar-size trades. E.g. each brokerage is on the hook for more cash for each 100-share block that changes hands as the price rises.

e.

pmchem posted:

price went up a lot in the meantime, so you gotta look at aggregate price*volume to judge capital requirements

edit: also when volatility went up, counterparties raised margin requirements

Yeah that too, I forgot about the margin reqs rising.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

yikez GME teasing sub 260

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:allears:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
What even happens when these clearinghouses go to settle all these retail buy orders and there's more shares owed than even available in the market? Is that even possible?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Zero One posted:

Schwab has fractional. TD will get it after the merger is finished or you can move there now.

Schwab won't let you do fractional on GME right now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's pretty lol that RH thinks people will be happy being able to BUY* shares of GME instead of being frozen out completely.

*1 share, you loving plebe

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

pmchem posted:

I posted this yesterday, but, a lotta folks should give it a look:

https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/status/1354936428816441353?s=20

Yeah I'm 100% aware of the reasons behind it, I'm also 100% aware you will never, ever convince the people who picked up Robinhood to trade a stock for the first time in their life on Tuesday that there was a legitimate reason for it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Unsinkabear posted:

Ah then nevermind.

Edit: Schwab fractional is S&P 500 only.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Is fractional technically on margin? Like, you "buy" .5 stocks, but in reality, it's 1 and the brokerage owns the other .5? I'm completely guessing about this.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Welp, robinhood just auto-sold over half my calls I was holding until 2:40. Was going to sell 5 of them to fund exercise on the rest but of course shorts needed shares so they sold my contracts to them. Was still able to execute 5 of my $3.5 calls. What a scam.

Also to be clear, auto-exercise/sell usually happens at 3, so obviously this is out of the norm.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Awesome, somebody bought my 4 110/115c debit spreads for $4.75. I'm fully out of GME and number can go down now.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l7z1dq/just_bought_2400_shares_of_gme_lets_go/

:discourse:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fidelity let me buy a fraction of a share of gamestop on like tuesday but yesterday wouldn't let me sell it because "this symbol is not eligible for fractional share trading" lmao

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Definitely will be looking to get in that class action. Robinhood sold more than enough of my call options to then exercise the rest, but decided to sell as many as they could, and of course I can't enter that position myself because you cannot buy that many shares, so I was forced to close out of a winning position I can't manually enter right now.

And the best part is, the "shares" sold on the other end of that contract probably never existed, so by selling, Robinhood allowed whoever was on the other end of that trade to buy it back without having to go find (non-existent) shares to sell me, preventing the price from going up.

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rabble posted:

What even happens when these clearinghouses go to settle all these retail buy orders and there's more shares owed than even available in the market? Is that even possible?

let's keep repeating this since it's still not clear to so many people:

there is no expiration date on short shares

the whole "Friday deadline" thing is for options, and every option contract has two parties.

The "short interest over 100% of float" thing is an obfuscation of the reality at best, but more importantly, short holders only have to close their position if they run out of sufficient financial reserves that whoever they owe shares to makes a margin call. When you're a multibillion dollar hedge fund, you do not get a margin call from robinhood or td or someone. The two big houses holding shorts have already covered themselves by getting cash from other financial institutions. That they have not necessarily closed out their short stocks is immaterial unless the share price skyrockets more from where it's been at the last couple days. In the meantime,

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is the stock market likely to crash when the inevitable mass eviction crisis happens?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the stock market likely to crash when the inevitable mass eviction crisis happens?

Why would the stock market crash as a result of that?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so what happens if the short squeeze happens over the weekend and most people can't sell/buy? would wall street make out like bandits?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

punk rebel ecks posted:

Like crash up?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

so what happens if the short squeeze happens over the weekend and most people can't sell/buy? would wall street make out like bandits?

Squeeze = price go up, so anyone betting against the short sellers would yes. Either way Wall Street makes out like bandits.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Wow, what do you know, Robinhood auto sold those contracts right before the squeeze started happening.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

let's keep repeating this since it's still not clear to so many people:

the whole "Friday deadline" thing is for options, and every option contract has two parties.

The "short interest over 100% of float" thing is an obfuscation of the reality at best, but more importantly, short holders only have to close their position if they run out of sufficient financial reserves that whoever they owe shares to makes a margin call. When you're a multibillion dollar hedge fund, you do not get a margin call from robinhood or td or someone. The two big houses holding shorts have already covered themselves by getting cash from other financial institutions. That they have not necessarily closed out their short stocks is immaterial unless the share price skyrockets more from where it's been at the last couple days. In the meantime,

Sorry, I wasn't asking about taking a short position. I was asking about all the people buying GME in a situation where no one is selling. The clearinghouse takes two days to settle so isn't it possible that your broker puts in the order to buy but that they're unable to close that order when it comes time to clear the clearinghouse?

Like, you ask to buy 5 chickens and hand the vendor $50, he goes in the back room but comes back empty handed. "Sorry we're out of chickens and also I don't have the liquidity to give you your $50 back."

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A short squeeze must happen with people buying/selling. The squeeze is literally people trying to get out of their short positions and vacuuming any float at any price. That would have to happen during trading, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Also, a short squeeze with one of these big players will happen if a) they run out of money to pay interest on the borrowed stock or b) they get margin called. I'm not sure retail can keep the price sky high long enough for that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah this is more likely in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Idk what but if this keeps loving with "real" wallstreet I expect some very draconian actions by the SEC. The dow is down nearly 1,000 this week from this stuff.