Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

How would this lie work anyway? Didn't the entire Order of the Scribble travel around to find and secure all the rifts? Soon should have at least known the general area each rift was located in. It's still gotta be in the desert somewhere. It's not like Soon would have slapped his forehead and said "Oh yeah, that's right, it's in the rainforest" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
I'm still a little vauge on what the plan is here anyways. Besides 'get there before Big X does', it's protected by the best illusions possible that have hid it from the rest of the world for how long now and they're going to add to this security... how? Isn't far more likely they'll just follow the path the OotS is blazing for them right to the gate?

Anyways, brilliant move. He gets to jerk who he figured would be paladins around while still leaving the rift's location up in the air. Is it elsewhere or knowing that we'd know he's an illusionist is this just another deceit to direct them away from the site, or does he know that we know that he knows, etc.

Ratzinkaiser
Feb 14, 2008

Books transportalize us to a realm of imagination and adventure

Mylan posted:

Soon should have at least known the general area each rift was located in. It's still gotta be in the desert somewhere.

Two small things to take into account, though. First, it's now established that this is the world's largest desert. Second, paladins don't have survival as a class skill (thus making the track feat worthless to them). It's implied (possibly outright stated)that Miko was the only paladin in their order to take ranks in it (and possibly the track feat), which is why she was sent out on missions that required it.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Mylan posted:

How would this lie work anyway? Didn't the entire Order of the Scribble travel around to find and secure all the rifts? Soon should have at least known the general area each rift was located in. It's still gotta be in the desert somewhere. It's not like Soon would have slapped his forehead and said "Oh yeah, that's right, it's in the rainforest" or something.

I bet delegating all the mapmaking duties to the guy who took two levels of ranger doesn't seem like such a hot move now, huh?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Who is this person that has 2 levels of ranger? I thought for a second it was Belkar and this illusion was sentient, but then I realised that Belkar must have a lot more, like 10 or 12 levels.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

tazman posted:

Who is this person that has 2 levels of ranger? I thought for a second it was Belkar and this illusion was sentient, but then I realised that Belkar must have a lot more, like 10 or 12 levels.

I believe everyone is just one class except for Elan who has taken levels in that prestige class that lets him make jokes for bonuses to attacks.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

tazman posted:

Who is this person that has 2 levels of ranger?
Girard. He's bitching at Soon for making him do all the map work.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

crime fighting hog posted:

I believe everyone is just one class except for Elan who has taken levels in that prestige class that lets him make jokes for bonuses to attacks.

Belkar took levels of Barbarian in order to do more damage.

edit: also there is this

bison wings fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 15, 2009

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Doesn't Belkar have Barbarian levels?

edit: curses!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I'm wondering what the message would be like if they had used one of the other names?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Mylan posted:

Or the whole thing is a great big lie, where he's pretending to be distrustful of the Paladins. That way, when someone else comes looking for the gate, having potentially already beaten the paladins there appears to be a plausible reason for why the gate isn't where it's supposed to be.

They get pissed that the distrust between the illusionist and the paladin cost them so much time and leave pissed off at two long-dead adventurers -- leaving behind the real gate hidden by the illusion spells.

Skulljoke
Sep 24, 2009
I wonder how a place protected by illusions would actually work against Xykon, aside from his magic arent undead immune to illusions and mind influencing effects anyway?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Skulljoke posted:

I wonder how a place protected by illusions would actually work against Xykon, aside from his magic arent undead immune to illusions and mind influencing effects anyway?

I might as well keep my Monster Manual next to my computer because I'm always digging it out to help you, the poster.

Undead Subtype-Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and moral effects).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Undead Subtype-Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and moral effects).

Are there illusions not as a mind-alterer?

And would epic versions be able to bypass that immunity?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I might as well keep my Monster Manual next to my computer because I'm always digging it out to help you, the poster.

I'm far from an expert on the ins and outs of 3.5, but aren't illusions and phantasms different in that phantasms are only in the mind whereas illusions are actually "visible" and thus have a reality, even if its only light rays?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
3.5 D&D has 5 types of illusions, two of which (patterns and phantasms) undead are immune to.

d20SRD posted:

Figment
A figment spell creates a false sensation. Those who perceive the figment perceive the same thing, not their own slightly different versions of the figment. (It is not a personalized mental impression.) Figments cannot make something seem to be something else. A figment that includes audible effects cannot duplicate intelligible speech unless the spell description specifically says it can. If intelligible speech is possible, it must be in a language you can speak. If you try to duplicate a language you cannot speak, the image produces gibberish. Likewise, you cannot make a visual copy of something unless you know what it looks like.

Glamer
A glamer spell changes a subject’s sensory qualities, making it look, feel, taste, smell, or sound like something else, or even seem to disappear.

Pattern
Like a figment, a pattern spell creates an image that others can see, but a pattern also affects the minds of those who see it or are caught in it. All patterns are mind-affecting spells.

Phantasm
A phantasm spell creates a mental image that usually only the caster and the subject (or subjects) of the spell can perceive. This impression is totally in the minds of the subjects. It is a personalized mental impression. (It’s all in their heads and not a fake picture or something that they actually see.) Third parties viewing or studying the scene don’t notice the phantasm. All phantasms are mind-affecting spells.

Shadow
A shadow spell creates something that is partially real from extradimensional energy. Such illusions can have real effects. Damage dealt by a shadow illusion is real.

Any spell to make an illusion of something or to hide something would be a figment, which undead are not immune to.

Piell fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 15, 2009

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Plus I think there are like five or less phantasm spells in the SRD. It came up during a game I ran awhile back.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, if there are some illusions that undead cannot see and some that they can (while both would be seen by normal adventurers), you could filter out any undead attackers by providing them with false information only they could act on, like, say, a sign with a lie on it behind an illusion of a blank wall.

Everyone else would see a blank wall and keep going.
The undead would see a sign, act on it, and fall into some trap you've set up.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bobulus posted:

You know, if there are some illusions that undead cannot see and some that they can (while both would be seen by normal adventurers), you could filter out any undead attackers by providing them with false information only they could act on, like, say, a sign with a lie on it behind an illusion of a blank wall.

Everyone else would see a blank wall and keep going.
The undead would see a sign, act on it, and fall into some trap you've set up.

Is the rule that the undead "cannot see the illusion" or "can see through the illusion"?

It's a big difference!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's neither. Any spell that creates or modifies sensory information is a Figment or Glamer, respectively. Phantasms and Patterns, which Undead are immune to, act to directly alter or influence the mind rather than mask or hide anything-- stuff like Hypnotic/Rainbow/Scintillating Pattern, Color Spray, Phantasmal Killer, Dream and Nightmare.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cabbit posted:

It's neither. Any spell that creates or modifies sensory information is a Figment or Glamer, respectively. Phantasms and Patterns, which Undead are immune to, act to directly alter or influence the mind rather than mask or hide anything-- stuff like Hypnotic/Rainbow/Scintillating Pattern, Color Spray, Phantasmal Killer, Dream and Nightmare.

Actually, this isn't quite true. Illusory Script is a phantasm.

Illusory Script posted:

You write instructions or other information on parchment, paper, or any suitable writing material. The illusory script appears to be some form of foreign or magical writing. Only the person (or people) designated by you at the time of the casting are able to read the writing; it’s unintelligible to any other character, although an illusionist recognizes it as illusory script.

Any unauthorized creature attempting to read the script triggers a potent illusory effect and must make a saving throw. A successful saving throw means the creature can look away with only a mild sense of disorientation. Failure means the creature is subject to a suggestion implanted in the script by you at the time the illusory script spell was cast. The suggestion lasts only 30 minutes. Typical suggestions include “Close the book and leave,” “Forget the existence of the book,” and so forth. If successfully dispelled by dispel magic, the illusory script and its secret message disappear. The hidden message can be read by a combination of the true seeing spell with the read magic or comprehend languages spell.

Presumably any undead would be unable to see the writing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Did he really think that would kill an epic level paladin?

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Hah. Saved by a sand flump.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

what a huge dick. I hope he's still alive near his gate, and gets curb stomped by Xykon.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
It says the spell will inform 'her and us' when it's been triggered. I don't think that line would have been included if it wasn't going to be brought up again.

Who is 'us'? Is it British slang to refer to yourself as 'us', or is that universal, I can't remember.
Either way, it's either just himself or the rest of his team. Since Soon and Kragaar are dead, and Lirian and Dorukan are indisposed, that leaves only him and Serini. Serini's a halfling (who have short lives?) so is probably dead.
I guess the message probably got to a still-alive Girard, who'll presumably know Soon is dead, and hence might realise that something else is up and come to investigate. This entire diversion may well still be dramatically advancing the plot, let's live in hope.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

bison wings posted:

what a huge dick. I hope he's still alive near his gate, and gets curb stomped by Xykon.

Seems to me like the man's suffering from PTSD. I don't think this message was recorded long after the party split up.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

"Girard is now officially worse than Xykon. The latter is just an evil megalomaniac bent on world domination, but Girard is supposed to be one of the good guys. If the OotS ever meet him, they might have to kick his rear end."

The only thing funnier than the immediate OMG GIRARD HAET of the fanbase is their reasoning for it. And maybe the fact that this poster had a stick-style Vincent Valentine avatar.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Noonsaliwah posted:

It says the spell will inform 'her and us' when it's been triggered. I don't think that line would have been included if it wasn't going to be brought up again.

Who is 'us'? Is it British slang to refer to yourself as 'us', or is that universal, I can't remember.
Either way, it's either just himself or the rest of his team. Since Soon and Kragaar are dead, and Lirian and Dorukan are indisposed, that leaves only him and Serini. Serini's a halfling (who have short lives?) so is probably dead.
I guess the message probably got to a still-alive Girard, who'll presumably know Soon is dead, and hence might realise that something else is up and come to investigate. This entire diversion may well still be dramatically advancing the plot, let's live in hope.

Halflings can live to about a hundred in 3.5, compared to about 70 for humans. It's possible Serini is still alive although really, really old. I'm guessing it'll come out in the next few strips anyways though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

seaborgium posted:

Halflings can live to about a hundred in 3.5, compared to about 70 for humans. It's possible Serini is still alive although really, really old. I'm guessing it'll come out in the next few strips anyways though.

Once you hit epic levels there's some stuff that just makes you stop aging. Feats for expanding your lifespan, etc. In 4th edition every epic destiny (something you pick at level 21 and ride out to level 30) has a 'seed' or some certain way that you become immortal.

Bards can become immortal by living forever in legend and song, wizards by becoming an actual spell or a lich, etc.

What I mean to say is in high fantasy if your DM is cool with it you don't really have to worry about aging if you're powerful enough. You're just too badass to worry about poo poo like your prostate or glaucoma

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

"Girard is now officially worse than Xykon. The latter is just an evil megalomaniac bent on world domination, but Girard is supposed to be one of the good guys. If the OotS ever meet him, they might have to kick his rear end."

The only thing funnier than the immediate OMG GIRARD HAET of the fanbase is their reasoning for it. And maybe the fact that this poster had a stick-style Vincent Valentine avatar.

Just to clarify my position, I don't really care whether a character is good or evil. The ghost of Soon was badass in his fight, and then had a moment of sincerity and wisdom when dealing with Miko. So I honestly don't believe what Girard is saying about him. Maybe this recording isn't a good representation of Girard, but it's all we have and so far he's a dick.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ah, good ol' flumph!

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
Who knows what the hell Girard is thinking now. Maybe he's been notified, and is actually coming to apologize. Then again, I kind of doubt it- Soon died of old age, and I have no reason to believe that Girard is terribly much younger. Dorukan was already ancient when he started dueling Xykon, and he was extremely young at the time of OOTRifts. The elven druid is immortal, naturally- but Shojo was two generations removed from Soon, not one. I doubt any of the original party are "alive" anymore, technically. Maybe there is a feat to protect against aging, but I doubt it pretty hard in the Burlewniverse.

At least this is starting to move a little now. I hate CAD with the passion of a thousand suns, so OOTS could never get that bad, but none of the recent comics has made me really start to smile.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Am I the only one who loves Girard? "Say hello to your barnyard gods for me"

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

that line would be funnier if those gods weren't irrefutably known to exist. It's not Soon's fault that the gods express themselves as animals. Who is Girard to question the machinations of beings that created him? Is Girard equally a tool to all devout characters?

If he wanted to be angry at all the gods of all the pantheons because they were responsible for the snarl, then fine whatever. But all I've seen of him has been bitter. He strikes me as self important as Evil-V, but without the redemption.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Wow, Girard really is quite the irredeemable human being isn't he? The "he's worse than Xykon" people are nuts but still

Quite the oval office.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think everyone is missing that someone important to Girard died in the Rift, and it may have been Soon's fault. That, on top of how this message was seemingly recorded soon after, seems to be a reasonable explanation for Girard's attitude.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Or, he's the character of a player who reads "Chaotic Neutral" as "Act like a gigantic douchey oval office all the time, but try to be suave while doing it."

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

cry more about the speed of plot of a comic that has been trudging along for years now without anyone complaining.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

HKR posted:

cry more about the speed of plot of a comic that has been trudging along for years now without anyone complaining.

uhh...was anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Brannock posted:

I think everyone is missing that someone important to Girard died in the Rift, and it may have been Soon's fault. That, on top of how this message was seemingly recorded soon after, seems to be a reasonable explanation for Girard's attitude.

Nobody really dies in the rifts, they just get transported to a White Wolf game.